Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 85 - Interview with Dale Jr

23 posts in this topic

One of the goals that Shaun and I had when we started this show was to meet and interview Dale Earnhardt Jr. Well.. we did it ! Well.. Jessica actually got to to the interview, but what a cool moment for our little home grown sim racing show. Dale is as much a sim racer as the guys you'll hear from before his interview.

In this Episode Jessica talks with Dale Earnhardt Jr. about sim racing. How did he first get started, what kind of equipment does he use and more. She even talks with him about the differences between real life and sim racing.

We then take a trip to Boston to take part in the IRacing open house. Shaun sits down and talks with several IRacers about their starts in sim racing and what it means to them.

Whats your setup and how did you get started in sim racing ?

best episode ever! good content. are there any stories behind the Dale Jr. interview?

I posted this in the iRacing forums..

He's a really cool, genuine guy that I could see hanging out with. After the interview we talked sim racing up until the second he had to leave and go qualify his car. It's his hobby and he like all aspects of it. We talked consoles, rally, VRW.. Everything I could think of in that 20 minutes..

We also got to meet Dales friend and spotter TJ Majors who I've raced against since the dawn of sim racing. He was a lot of fun to talk with as well and some may know him from racing on here..(iRacing)

Excellent episode.

Jessica deserves kudos on this one, her interviewing skill have hit a new level, the interview was great and so was she.

I also liked the short interviews with the dedicated sim racers, this was also a great segment.

All in all, ISRT keeps getting better and better all the time.

Congratulations to the ISRT crew, keep up the great work. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Great episode. Nice to hear from some guys who have turned a hobby into a career. I like that they all seem do dig a desk setup, which for me has been most comfortable.

Dale almost seemed more nervous than Jessica, but very honest. Interesting that he digs the G27, quite a vote from the guy who can have whatever setup he wants, when he wants it.

My sister also got me my first sim wheel, since she had a Best Buy credit card and a job while I was in school. It was this wheel:

http://www.gameaction.com/images/Joysti ... eforce.jpg

I used it for GT3 and on the pc for the EA F1 games. Thank goodness for for sisters!

ironcially, the first wheel i had was one of these things. http://www.amazon.com/Dale-Earnhardt-Ra ... B000TWJZR8

41mlxYSBrhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

yup, you had to sit on that thing. i think it was desk mountable but i was so little at the time that i was better off sittin on it. my grandmother got if for me for my 10th birthday, along with a copy of NASCAR Racing 2. I played with that stuff until everything broke (the wheel, pedals, and even the game disc). never did get to play online though, had to wait till NR2003 for that.

getting back on topic here. Kenny sounds very much like he was born and raised in Ohio. (like me :))

getting back on topic here. Kenny sounds very much like he was born and raised in Ohio. (like me :))

Interesting, Dale is obviously from the Carolinas, like me, except I have almost no southern accent at all. Dale has the lint-head sound going.

Anyway, one of the guys interviewed mentioned going to a friends house to sim race. I had no computer, but my friend did and his dad was into flight sims and had some sort of wheel like controller for that. I would beg to go over there to race on that thing, playing Nascar 2. I remember looking at the car set-up and thinking I would never be able to figure that stuff out.

Nice show, really good.

And Jessica really honestly impressed me. I had my doubts about her when she started as she seemed to struggle a bit and you could tell how nervous she was in front of the camera. But on this episode she shows how much she has learned and improved handling interviews and being on camera. Really great job Jessica. I now think that you are here not only for your looks but because you do a very good job.

(and the tight shirt helps too :oops: )

Hi

Funny you should say that. I also was think just how much Jessica had come on. She did a great job and really looked at ease in front of the camera.

On to the show. As I don't play I racing yet or follow NASCAR I did not think I would enjoy it but i did it was good.

Daz

Absolutely, my favorite episode to date !!

You guys always put on a great show. I've been loving the fact that every so often you are able to get these real race car drivers to come on and talk a little sim racing. And, to get Dale (my favorite driver) and avid sim racer to come on and have a focussed conversation about sim racing is awesome. I'm sure he even liked it too.

Jessica you did a fantastic job with your interviewing skills, and (Just in case Dale Jr. ever logs on to this forum) I'd like to thank Dale for giving SRT the access to do this interview. I'm sure he is flooded with interview requests for all sorts of things. But, to have him take some time out of his schedule to talk about another passion of his - speaks volumes to just how humble a celebrity he is. Plus, one day... I want to be in a race knowing Dale Jr is out here with me.

Keep up the great work guys !!! and GAS ON!!!

Great episode. Nice to hear from some guys who have turned a hobby into a career. I like that they all seem do dig a desk setup, which for me has been most comfortable.

Dale almost seemed more nervous than Jessica, but very honest. Interesting that he digs the G27, quite a vote from the guy who can have whatever setup he wants, when he wants it.

My sister also got me my first sim wheel, since she had a Best Buy credit card and a job while I was in school. It was this wheel:

http://www.gameaction.com/images/Joysti ... eforce.jpg

I used it for GT3 and on the pc for the EA F1 games. Thank goodness for for sisters!

Jess has that sort of effect, even on guys like Jr :mrgreen:

In all seriousness this really was a great show. It was fun seeing the community and hearing from the guys behind iRacing.

Jessica talks with Dale Earnhardt Jr well I thought it was a great interview .Jessica is good at her job and enjoys it.If Dale could find a girl like Jessica I think he'd win more races and maybe a championship.That's just my opinion take care Jessica and keep up the good work.

Time for me to comment on our show :).

I have to say that Jessica really stepped up for this one ! She does an incredible job on the set, but we'd talked about her interviewing skills and how they needed some work. In the past she was a little in a hurry and didn't seem comfortable. For the Dale Jr interview, that all changed ! She really nailed it for the team.. She asked all the right questions and made it more like a conversation than an interview.

Great work Jess !

Loved the interviews with the iRacers and my favorite questions was about their first wins..

Mine came in my first online league race that I had happened to setup for SSCA. It was in 1995 using Nascar 1 on Hawaii and we were running Atlanta, the old configuration as our season opener. Full field of drivers that had come from Compuserve with me after doing some offline racing with Indycar Racing 1 & 2. Don't recall the details, but I remember winning that first race in SSCA.

What was yours ??

Time for me to comment on our show :).

I have to say that Jessica really stepped up for this one ! She does an incredible job on the set, but we'd talked about her interviewing skills and how they needed some work. In the past she was a little in a hurry and didn't seem comfortable. For the Dale Jr interview, that all changed ! She really nailed it for the team.. She asked all the right questions and made it more like a conversation than an interview.

Great work Jess !

Loved the interviews with the iRacers and my favorite questions was about their first wins..

Mine came in my first online league race that I had happened to setup for SSCA. It was in 1995 using Nascar 1 on Hawaii and we were running Atlanta, the old configuration as our season opener. Full field of drivers that had come from Compuserve with me after doing some offline racing with Indycar Racing 1 & 2. Don't recall the details, but I remember winning that first race in SSCA.

What was yours ??

First Win ??? I can't remember my first win.

But, my first significant win was in a league called Nascar360 at Dover. We were running NASCAR 09 with a full room of 14 in the Camping World Truck Series. This league was filled with a lot of competitive drivers. Where I kept coming in 2nd; 3rd; or 4th consistently. For this race I was about the 2nd or 3rd fastest truck out there. Great on a Short run, but after halfway through a fuel run MAC would over take me. After a pit stop a fifth placed truck slapped on 2 two tires and took the lead with me in second. I knew I was faster than this guy but he kept taking my line and I couldn't complete the pass. I tried to be patient but eventually their where about 5 trucks all together bottle necked behind this 5th placed truck on 2 tires. So, eventually in the middle of turns 3 & 4 accidentally I bumped him from behind and he went spinning behind me damaging the dominate truck driven by Mac. Of course the culprit (ME) didn't get any Damage and ended up getting the Win without any other challenge.

Definitely, not the way I wanted to get my first win. But when I think back on all the Wins I gave away by either someone wreaking me, running out of fuel, not short pitting, or spinning myself out on the final run - I'll take it. It was a really hard league to run in where you needed a little lady luck on your side to pick up the victory. I do miss that league and league racing in general. Met a lot of great guys, and that guy I ended up spinning out in that race we still talk on the internet to this day.

Darin, this is a good idea you should setup a separate thread for this ?

First Win ??? I can't remember my first win.

But, my first significant win was in a league called Nascar360 at Dover. We were running NASCAR 09 with a full room of 14 in the Camping World Truck Series. This league was filled with a lot of competitive drivers. Where I kept coming in 2nd; 3rd; or 4th consistently. For this race I was about the 2nd or 3rd fastest truck out there. Great on a Short run, but after halfway through a fuel run MAC would over take me. After a pit stop a fifth placed truck slapped on 2 two tires and took the lead with me in second. I knew I was faster than this guy but he kept taking my line and I couldn't complete the pass. I tried to be patient but eventually their where about 5 trucks all together bottle necked behind this 5th placed truck on 2 tires. So, eventually in the middle of turns 3 & 4 accidentally I bumped him from behind and he went spinning behind me damaging the dominate truck driven by Mac. Of course the culprit (ME) didn't get any Damage and ended up getting the Win without any other challenge.

Definitely, not the way I wanted to get my first win. But when I think back on all the Wins I gave away by either someone wreaking me, running out of fuel, not short pitting, or spinning myself out on the final run - I'll take it. It was a really hard league to run in where you needed a little lady luck on your side to pick up the victory. I do miss that league and league racing in general. Met a lot of great guys, and that guy I ended up spinning out in that race we still talk on the internet to this day.

Darin, this is a good idea you should setup a separate thread for this ?

Great idea. I started one here in the General Garage section. viewtopic.php?f=101&t=2624

Thanks for posting your story.. Very cool ! I assume that was Nascar 09 on the 360 ? What did you drive with, Controller, or Wheel.. curious ??

Great idea. I started one here in the General Garage section. viewtopic.php?f=101&t=2624

Thanks for posting your story.. Very cool ! I assume that was Nascar 09 on the 360 ? What did you drive with, Controller, or Wheel.. curious ??

Xbox 360 Wheel.

Unfortunately, the Xbox 360 quit before the wheel did. After the Xbox died literally 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired I was so mad I moved over to PC Racing instead. So we went and bought a used DFGT wheel for that. Have R-factor and GTR2 and have run a lot of laps on there, but my laptop just doesn't have the RAM nor graphics card to race on-line. I thought I would just be ruining everyone else's race. And, recently, I bought a used PS3 from a friend who just upgraded to a larger PS3 and have been running a ton of laps with the new F1 game. Have never been much of a road racer, but this has been a perfect transition game to get into that.

Once winter is in full swing again here in Canada, I'm definitely going to be looking for a league to race in. If anyone can recommend a league for the PS3 I would be totally open to your suggestions. Understand I'm 35.. and I have nothing against racing young folks.. but I rather run with some old farts like me who shouldn't be investing so much time into these types of games.

Good on you Darren for starting that thread.. I'm really interested in reading others stories about their first win.

GAS ON!!!

35? run with old farts like you? Hmmmmm LOL

I'm 51 and there a quite a few on here that would call me a yougnun! LOL.

So you're not as old as you think, by some of the guys on here, you're barely out of puberty! hahaha :P

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Hey Darin, can you give me any insight on the table/entertainment center you guys use for your vizio tv/gamepod set-up... who makes it or where it can be bought... i need this setup for me gamepod/pc... perfect eyesight in relation to the gamepod

Hey Darin, can you give me any insight on the table/entertainment center you guys use for your vizio tv/gamepod set-up... who makes it or where it can be bought... i need this setup for me gamepod/pc... perfect eyesight in relation to the gamepod

It's 80/20 extrusion tubing that we put together custom for that corner. It's attached to the wall and is adjustable.