Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sand Socks as sim footwear

25 posts in this topic

Not sure of the percentages but I'd think many sim racers wear socks when driving. I do too. I've been looking for a solution to wanting a thicker sole with some firmness without wearing shoes. I've tried thick socks, house slippers, etc. I recently stumbled upon http://www.sandsocks.netand gave them a try. It's not perfect but it's the right idea. The sole/heel cup are made of neoprene so there is some thickness there but still a soft feel. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried them or anything similar.

I've just started heel/toe in iRacing and have been using my motorsport shoes.... finding them difficult to get feeling on my throttle (spring is very giving). I'm going to give these a try... thx for suggesting

I've experimented with lots of different options (sim socks, different trainers, diving socks) and since I've upgraded to HPP pedals I need to use shoes and while shoes helped with the braking I didn't like the throttle control with shoes.

So I stumbled across and ordered these driving loafers which have a very thin sole, have a heel grip, are comfortable, can be put on quickly and can be worn around the house, plus they are on sale too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU2YOBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All I need is a pipe to go with the loafers and some old man driving gloves :-P

41jY5A2DAcL.jpg

hi guys just came across thease while searching ebay to me they look perfect for sim racing ,as they have a better  looking sole imo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Aqua-Water-Sports-Skin-Socks-Shoes-BareFoot-Beach-Yoga-Fitness-Running-/161264339285?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=460302949092&hash=item258c1a8955

thanks jon

One thing to remember about neoprene is that it doesn't breathe well.  The neoprene diving socks I had used for simracing worked well but Inoticed my feet would get hot and sweaty quickly.

The problem with climbing shoes is the sole is quite stiff and rigid so you can put a lot of weight on nothing more than a toe hold. In my opinion this would prevent heel and toe and also sensitivity.

Loving the Alan Partridge reference!

So I gave the sandsocks a try.

Construction is actually quite good, and I will definitely make use of them at the beach.

However, for simracing, not a winner. The neoprene sole is a bit too soft, didn't really offer any more cushioning that a thick pair of socks. And it's neoprene.... so very sweaty.

I was hoping for something that would be light and offer a lot of feeling under the foot, while offering protection when doing heel/toe shifting. When my foot pivots to the throttle, I bang the side of my foot at times on the side of the throttle. So I guess I need something with more sidewall/lateral protection.

I've bedded in my driving loafers and they are a thumbs up from me so far.  They are definitely better than my old shoes and are nearly as good as socks for the throttle, I just think I need to get use to them for longer.  But so far so good.

I use a pair of racing shoes.  They can be picked up for cheap if they're nearly out of certification, which makes no difference to sim racing.  They're lightweight, comfortable, thin-soled, and designed for heel/toe.  Plus, if you plan on doing any real racing, they're great for that too.

I used to use Vicks Racing Outfitters, but it seems that they've been bought out and shut down.  Speedway motors has sales and scratch/dent discounts too.  I took a quick look there and most shoes seem to be around $50-$60, some as low as $30.  I got mine for $25, brand new with 3 years left on their certification.