Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2010 Patch Update Looking Positive.

36 posts in this topic

I thought the game was supporting DX11 out of the box. Even if it was on DX9 the whole time it still looked incredibly good on my SLI GTX 460 cards. Wonder if it'll support SLI then. I've checked with GPUZ and found it's only taxing one card. Maybe it's my nVidia Control Panel that I need to tweak.

I do envy you PC guys. I'm on the PS3 and a 32 inch LCD telly and the twittering and shimmering is truly a thing to behold. Surely there are ways of coding for the PS3 that give better results? I love playing F1 2010 but when I see those crystal clear PC screen shots I feel....well....envious.

Paul

I do envy you PC guys. I'm on the PS3 and a 32 inch LCD telly and the twittering and shimmering is truly a thing to behold. Surely there are ways of coding for the PS3 that give better results? I love playing F1 2010 but when I see those crystal clear PC screen shots I feel....well....envious.

Paul

No so sure about that Paul.. Depends on who's coding it.. Kazunauri has also eluded to the fact that the PS3 can't handle what they wanted to do with GT5 and that it will be better for the next generation PS.

The PS3 in my opinion is showing it's aging horse power with F1 2010 and WRC.. For F1 2010 the XBox 360 version is better graphically and compared to the PC, it's really shows. .. for WRC, the PS3 version looks pretty bad compared to the PC.

Thanks Darin. That sounds about right. One way to improving things might be to add a video processor into the mix. The trouble is the processors that might make a difference such as the Lumagen radience or the DVDO iscan are megabucks and I have no proof that they would indeed work. A much cheaper option would be to build a PC...Hmmm.

Regards,

Paul

I don't think the ps3's "aging horsepower" is to blame, as there are quite a few recent examples of games that look far better on ps3 than the 360 (FF13 and the new Castlevania come to mind). It's notoriously difficult to develop for and for a smaller release like F12010 I doubt the resources were behind the port. Even if GT5 is not what PD wanted, it looks way beyond Forza 3 graphically.

All I know is that on my PS3, the game looks phenomenal. Granted I am playing on a 1080p TV with HDMI cable. I did not want it on the PC as my aging PC I do not think would have handled it, and I wanted to be able to use my G27 with it.

I have not seen side-by-sides of the PS3 version with any others, but I know that while I am playing there has been no slowdown or screen tear, and the effects look really really good.

There is definitely a good deal of line twitter and shimmer in the game. If you look down the track, far objects are not clear and stable. There is a certain amount of flicker and details look indistinct. These graphical limitations are not at all game breaking for me but if you look at footage from a real F1 headcam, the whole feild of view is rock solid and clear. F1 2010 does not look anything like as stable on the PS3 wheeas the PC footage I've seen does.

I think it is true that coding for the PS3 is a real art. Sometime ago I seem to remember reading an article that talked about the complexities of harnessing the extra horse power from the cell processor as an aid to boosting graphical performance. The problem is that the technological power of graphics cards is still growing at an exponential rate leaving the current crop of consoles in the dust. And whats more, there is no sign that this process will slow in the future.

Regards,

Paul

No doubt the pc version will look better if you have a pc that can get the most from it. I wish I had such a pc because I am really starting to dig this game. I would have bet money the ps3 version to be superior to the 360, since the ps3 tends to do better in parts of the world where f1 is popular.

I do get a bit of a frame drop when passing pit road sometimes, probably due to the cars there. And the frame rate in the mirrors is very slow, but it does not bother me much. The one cool thing about the 360 is the hardware upscaler, so if you have a 1080p display you can at least display at the native rez, and eliminate some input lag. The ps3 version shows in 720p unfortunately. I'm curious if Darrin's opinion of the versions has something to do with this.

No so sure about that Paul.. Depends on who's coding it.. Kazunauri has also eluded to the fact that the PS3 can't handle what they wanted to do with GT5 and that it will be better for the next generation PS.

The PS3 in my opinion is showing it's aging horse power with F1 2010 and WRC.. For F1 2010 the XBox 360 version is better graphically and compared to the PC, it's really shows. .. for WRC, the PS3 version looks pretty bad compared to the PC.

That's why they should release GT5 on PC !!!!!

i have ps3 anyways but I don't want to have to buy a playseat or wheel stand just to play one game..... would much rather buy it for PC....

I don't think the ps3's "aging horsepower" is to blame, as there are quite a few recent examples of games that look far better on ps3 than the 360 (FF13 and the new Castlevania come to mind). It's notoriously difficult to develop for and for a smaller release like F12010 I doubt the resources were behind the port. Even if GT5 is not what PD wanted, it looks way beyond Forza 3 graphically.

I'm not an expert in PC/Xbox/PS3 systems by any stretch. I have heard people say the PS3 is very powerful, but hard for coding in that The Cell (or whatever it is called) uses a slightly different coding language compared to the PC and Xbox? I have also heard that the PC and Xbox have similar coding that allows easy ports and therefore the games looks very similar when run on either system?

Please correct me.

:)

I'm not an expert in PC/Xbox/PS3 systems by any stretch. I have heard people say the PS3 is very powerful, but hard for coding in that The Cell (or whatever it is called) uses a slightly different coding language compared to the PC and Xbox? I have also heard that the PC and Xbox have similar coding that allows easy ports and therefore the games looks very similar when run on either system?

Please correct me.

As far as im aware thats pretty much spot on.

As for the patch it looks very positive almost like they are actually listening to us but will be at least a few weeks until release.

Please correct me.

All I have heard fits what you say. However, I was reading some things from Valve and they apprently see some unlocked potential in the ps3. I doubt for a game like F1 2010 there was really time or budget to make the most of the hardware, as my guess would be that it needs to be built from the ground up to make the most of it. I'm still happy with it though, and I think they did a nice job.

The biggest issue I have witht he ps3 is the lack of upscaling. if you use a 1080p tv most games will display in 720p. The game likely renders at 720p (or less) natively on both systems, bit the 360 hardware upscaler softens the image and gives better picture to my eyes. You also don't have the same likelihood of input lag since you can run at your monitor's native resolution with the 360. The ps3 will do this if it's written into the software, but few games have it. The only ones I know of are GT5P, Ferrari Challenge, Ridge Racer 7 (which may render in 1080p), FF13, and the Modern Warfare games (which require you to disable 720p in your display settings).

I thinhk the PS3 does have upscaling abilities. You can set the output to 1080p. I use an LCD 1080p TV and outputting 720p from the PS3 means the TV has to upscale the signal to 1080p. The 'best' results, if I can call them that are achieved by getting the PS3 to output at 1080p.

Regards,

Paul

It will upscale games and dvd's via software, but it does not have a hardware upscaler like the 360. Anything you play or watch through the 360 can be upscaled to your monitor's native resolution. The ps3 will upscale ps3 games if it is included in the games software.

Try playing F12010 but disable 1080p and 720p in your display options. Your game will then display in 480p, because the ps3 will not upscale the image to 1080i, and it will be very obvious. You can also try it but disable only 720p and leave all other resolutions enabled. It will display in 480p. You can verify this by the display mode on your tv, usualy just hit the info button on your tv remote. Some games, like the ones I mentioned before, will upscale. In the case of the modern warfare games, you have to disable 720p (and maybe 1080i, can't remember) to get the upscaled 1080p signal, which is weird. If all resoltuions are checked the modern warfare games will display in 720p, probably to keep the smoothest frame rate as software upscalers tend to use more system resources.

Virtually no game on either system actually renders in 1080p, but upscaling is advantageous because when the tv recieves a signal less than it's native resolution it must upscale the image itself, like you mentioned. This requires image processing and creates lag between the time the signal is recieved to the tv and the time it is displayed. Most tv's now have a game mode to help speed up the processing, but every display I have ever tried running less than native had measureable lag.

With F12010, it will send a 720p signal even if you have 1080p enabled because there is nothing in the software for upscaling. While the game is playing just hit info or whatever on your remote to verify this. Most ps3 games are this way, even big budget games like God of War 3 etc. The devs have to put upscaling in on ps3. On 360, all games can be upscaled via hardware.

I should add that many people were furois about this when the ps3 was released. Quite a few older CRT hdtv's actually only supported 480p or 1080i, and owners of these were forced to play games in 480p, except the rare game that included upscaling.

The 360 hardware upscaler is awesome. I think it may even apply some sort of anti-aliasing to the image. For a truer test of the actual graphics on a given game released on both system, I think a test should be done with forced 720p output on both systems and then compare.

I have played Wii games on my 42" HDTV and can't tell any lag (no more than normal) in "game" mode. I can tell if it's not in game mode. I have used both my GPU and monitor upscaling on my PC and see no difference either. (If you have a top-of-the-line GPU and a older & cheaper monitor then GPU will more likely have a better upscaler) Now one of my cheap 24" HDTV has a sorry upscaler and looks like crap compared to the PC GPU.

No matter if GPU or HDTV hardware does the upscaling it will take some process time so it depends which has better hardware. I have doubts a console which tries to cut cost as much as possible puts too much into their upscaler yet I'm sure running a HDTV in "game" mode limits it's upscaling as well.

No matter if GPU or HDTV hardware does the upscaling it will take some process time so it depends which has better hardware.

I'm pretty certain your wrong there. Quite a few hardware upscalers that you can actually buy and as an add-on will upscale in less than one millisecond. They are expensive, but they exist. Quality varies. TV's really are not as concerned with speed but rather image quality. As for GPU's upscaling in a pc I have no idea how well they do, I have never actually tested them.

I should mention that image processing is not limited to upscaling, but also dynamic dimming, dynamic contrast and all those effects and things.

As for whether or not you notice the lag, that is a different story. It is measurable, but you can't see it happening normally. With the wii on my samsung series 6 40 inch, I can absolutely feel it on the NES Castlevania games even with game mode on. Super Metroid as well. Less so with the ps3 with game mode on. I can, however, tell something is different when I change the name of my hdmi input 2 to pc and play a game that upscales to 1080p (like GT5P). This is basically a hidden dvi mode on this particular tv and turns most of the processing off. It looks almost identical to using the xbox with vga, again no processing. Many people don't like the look of it though, and say it looks "washed". I tested the display and got 0 lag. In game mode even at 1080p I got 15 ms. No game mode 100ms, which you can easily feel when playing. A blink of an eye is around 400ms or so, so I doubt you can see this, but you can feel it if it's severe enough.

If you want to try to test a display there are some instructions on the link below. You need a pc with multiple display capabilities, a digital camera, and a crt monitor (or monitor with known lag measurement).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

scroll down to input lag test.

Yeh, I think most of the guitar hero games even have a lag tester built in the options somewhere. There is some error in it if you hit late or early though, so it's probably not an accurate measure of your tv's lag, but more how much your tv's lag affects your playing. You can even adjust the game to compensate.