Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2010 - Looking for tips

14 posts in this topic

i just picked up my copy today. i have honestly never played an F1 game before, but after the review i got really excited for it.

I have a problem though... i suck... BIG TIME

Looking for tips and strategies.

I have tried running a bit on easiest settings to learn the track(s), racing lines, braking points, shifting points, etc... but F1 is just so much more different than any racing game i have played.

When i take off all the assists, i spin out exiting corners.. a lot. I also seem to understeer no matter what settings i use.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips you guys throw my way.

Oh and i am using a G27

PC version or PS3 ?

In regards to not spinning.. First wait a lap or two to hammer it out of corners so the tires warm up.. Also don't really HAMMER it out of the corners.. Be progressive about it.

Also if you're off line there may not be as much grip..

Stick with one track and master it. Also use a quick setting in the garage with some extra downforce..

PS3 i picked it up after your review for the Ps3 version.

I have been waiting a few laps... but anyways, you're saying use the engineer settings and pick one with more downforce to start?

It sucks because i am used to jumping into many racing games and being competitive. even in iracing I was able to keep up at the very least. this is quite a learning curve for me.

instead of making the jump from all aids to no aids, start with them all turned on, then turn them off one at a time. Turn of one, work with that till you're good, then turn off another, and repeat...

instead of making the jump from all aids to no aids, start with them all turned on, then turn them off one at a time. Turn of one, work with that till you're good, then turn off another, and repeat...

Yeah, this is what I have been doing. I still have not gotten the shifting timing down though. I am not used to cars which shift up and down so fast and so many times during a lap/race.

i managed to pull out a 5th place position on a 50% (25 lap) race at the first track (Bahrain).

It's tough but man is it fun. Luckily the only bug I have run into is that even if you pit on your own accord, the crew still asks you to come back in and pit again, even if you just pitted a lap or 2 prior to their proposed window.

Also, man what a workout. I am running my wheel at the settings that Darin and Shaun said int he review, and I actually broke a sweat and my arms actually got a work out.

Who needs exercise when you can play F1?

Also, man what a workout. I am running my wheel at the settings that Darin and Shaun said int he review, and I actually broke a sweat and my arms actually got a work out.

Who needs exercise when you can play F1?

Our goal is to get the sim racing community in shape ! ;) You hear about Greger Huttu in the Star Mazda at Road Atlanta ? We need to make sure that sim racers are prepared !! :lol:

if you have already been to the pits, ahead of when the team expects you, you can cancel your "sched" pitstop.

when they tell you "pit this lap" just hit the pit request button, to "un-request?" the pitstop..if you've already pitted, it will cancel the sched. pit stop

you can tell if ti worked, if the red bar above your car display turns from red to white

When i take off all the assists, i spin out exiting corners.. a lot. I also seem to understeer no matter what settings i use.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips you guys throw my way.

Oh and i am using a G27

I went through this pretty bad with the game for the first few hours.... still haven't really mastered what Darin is saying but its getting better

now I only spin out every 3 - 5 laps and not every corner...lol

Darin .... I can't qualify ... I'm on expert with g25... I'm on the lowest number of laps 10-15 for my career and I go out to qualify and I get pole position in the first 2 laps ..then they get faster and faster and i drop to last place - I'm about 2-4 seconds off the pace...can't seem to get any faster in qualifying .. sometimes I post a fast lap but its still a second or 2 off the leaders and I can't keep that up without spinning out at some point or overshooting a corner

now given that I'm starting my races last in the grid.... I can really push up the field before I have to pit .. on Bahrain my car control and aggression got better and better until I was moving up to 12th place in less than 2 laps!!.... and I get up in the top 10 or 12 and once I go in the pit everyone passes me ... lol .... I tried different strategies and I still loose... after everyone passed me on Bahrain the best I could get was 18th place with lotus

any advice on how to qualify on the first few races of the game? ... cuz I'm at a loss

For pit stops make certain you manually control the pit limiter. By default it's the "o" button. I know it's obvious but the game will do it for you, just takes it forever.

I use very low rear downforce on Bahrain, but I don't have the spinning problems you have. To me the thing won't spin out at all. But rear downforce will probably hurt you more on the straights than it helps coming out of a slow corner, especially with the lotus slug. I dunno, what are your times in Q?

For pit stops make certain you manually control the pit limiter. By default it's the "o" button. I know it's obvious but the game will do it for you, just takes it forever.

I use very low rear downforce on Bahrain, but I don't have the spinning problems you have. To me the thing won't spin out at all. But rear downforce will probably hurt you more on the straights than it helps coming out of a slow corner, especially with the lotus slug. I dunno, what are your times in Q?

I don't remember my time in Australia. I qualified P10there, but at Bahrain I got P6 with a time of 2:00:323

okay I've played quite a bit more .... and I hardly ever spin on exits

my problem now is I'm so slow with Lotus ...

I'm on Kuala Lumpur ... the best I can lap is a 1.39.844 and I often mess up trying to make that time

my averate lap is about 1.41 - 142 .... I get murdered on the straights ...and when I pit I end up so far behind 24th I'm getting lapped by webber .... wtf?

my best laps are barely enough to keep the last half of the field at bay...

I can't get my head around it... The best I could qualify is 20th ...but it doesn't seem to matter

I don't understand pit strategy in this game because whenever I pit I'm too far behind to catch up .....

I also need tips for this game, I've never played F1 type games before but after the review just had to try it. I've got to where I can drive fine(ish) but my problem is shifting, I have no idea how to shift in a F1 car. I'm 100% sure its my shifting because if I use a auto gear box I do fine, but when using a manual my times are hurt a lot.

My main problem is up shifting, I don't know where I should be doing it. I always short shift or over rev, I cant find that "sweet spot". Should I be shifting when the rev lights are Green? White? Red? Before they even show up? Was hoping I could just put it on expert and just come in like 5th-15th till I could get better, but I'm having problems coming in anything but last when using a manual

I usually have the best luck shifting about 1 increment before the max revs. If you want to shift at the peak, watch the lights. You want to shift once they all fill up in colors and then start to blink (or pulse). I usually have the best luck letting them blink once or twice. I also mainly shift based on my ear, and each car sounds slightly different depending on which engine they have.

The most finicky seems to be Mercedes powered cars. The Cosworth seems to be the easiest as far as predictability in the powerband.

The other thing is, when you drive fast cars like this, you need to do most, or all of your braking in a straight line. You don't want to be braking around a turn unless it's a specific line you're taking. Each track has the exception, but the general rule is don't use your entire contact patch for braking and then try to turn. That creates understeer. Also, it's important to remember that these cars have more grip the faster they go. When you slow down, you won't get a lot of front end grip and you have to really be careful with your throttle. Also, they did a really good job with the curbs in this game. Some tracks have usable curbs that you can run up on around turns, but some tracks, like Abu Dabi and Singapore have really high curbs in some places and using them will unload the balance of your car and cause you to spin.

The trick you can try, if you're on Xbox or PS3, is to download and race against a ghost car from the leaderboards that is slightly faster than you, so you can learn the lines they use. Also, make sure when you downshift, you don't have to upshift again as quickly. This can be tempting, to shift down to 2nd in a turn to keep your revs high, but usually, you lose time shifting down, then back up.

I'm not the fastest, but I usually have sub-2000 times on the leaderboards on every track so I think I have a fair deal of speed to share. People knock this game, but there are lots of little things that are vital in real racing that carry over to the game, like the curbs, for example.

Hope it works out!