Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster T500 RS User Reviews

10 posts in this topic

This thread has been created for you the end user of a Thrustmaster T500 RS to post your thoughts, impressions and overall review of this item just like if you bought it on Amazon and posted a review on their site. This thread is for REVIEWS ONLY !  All other posts and or replies will be deleted. 

We'd also like you to rate this thread to score your product and it will hopefully give this wheel an overall community score. Please don't rate the thread unless you own this product, rate your hardware so that others can get an idea of how this product scores by hearing how it performs for you.  You can rate the wheel by clicking on the stars in the upper left of this thread. We know the score won't be perfect because anyone with a wheel or not can score it so put your score in the post as well.

I've also provided a template for your review to fill in the blanks or you can create one from scratch on your own. Help the community decide if this is a product they would like to purchase based on your feedback!  - Thanks

Product:

Date Purchased:

Packaging:

First Impressions:

Performance:

Wheel Rim Impressions:

Buttons (placement, amount and quality):

Shifters:

Pedals (if included):

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc):

Racing titles played:

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions:

Customer Service:

Issues:

Overall score (out of 5)

Product: Thrustmaster T500RS

Date Purchased: November 25th, 2013

Packaging: Pretty nice, utilized a lot of styrofoam in the box. Had a comprehensive multi-language guide.

First Impressions: "WHOA!" (I was coming from a G25)

Performance: Very strong, but also very fluid. Can feel a little "notchy" under heavy load. The wheel also feels to have some natural dampening to it, which people may or may not like.

Wheel Rim Impressions: Despite going from a leather rim on the G25, I enjoyed using the stock T500RS rim. I was not exactly a fan of the static paddle shifters, so I got the GTE Rim, and fell in love. That is an awesome rim, and the paddles are some of the best I've used. I also have a Derek Speare Designs adapter I have mounted on a 350mm rim, for a road car feel.

Buttons (placement, amount and quality): Button placement on the T500RS stock rim is alright, some buttons require you taking your hand off the rim. The GTE rim's button placement is just about perfect! (Something funny: it took me around five months to realize the Manettino dial also worked as a button if pressed in!). 

Shifters: I use the TH8RS Shifter with the wheel, and it works great. I've made a couple mods to it to replicate a real car's shifter better (namely repurposing a felt tip marker's cap to replace my shifter's plastic sheath).

Pedals (if included): I never really used the 3 pedal set that came with the pedals, so I ended up selling them, so I can't really comment onthem.

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): PC

Racing titles played: iRacing, rFactor, rFactor 2, NetKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, PCARS, R3E, GTR 2, GTR Evolution, GT Legends

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions: Run at 60% in the driver settings, and no dampening.

Customer Service: Very quick, and effective. Very fast to send you items from France to US.

Issues: No real "issues", but I didn't like how loud the fan was, so I got a replacement. You will have to full take apart the wheel to replace the fan, so you would need to be at least somewhat technically proficient.

Overall score (out of 5) 4.5

The wheel definitely is a solid product, but there are occasional gripes out of the box that would prevent me from giving it a five. It also appears that the T300RS and TX wheels feature better technology in a smaller package. 

Product: Thrustmaster T500RS

Date Purchased: May 2012

Packaging: Excellent.  The wheel and pedals were protected very well.

First Impressions: Wow, this thing is big and heavy.  I was in awe of how strong the FFB was, particularly on PC, even though I was coming from a CSR Elite.  The stock GT rim is solid.  I personally love the Gran Turismo branding.

Performance: Incredible, overall, this is the best wheel I have ever owned.  The wheel has performed well from Day 1, even though it has gotten heavy use.  I tried a CSW from April 2013-April 2014 but I ended up selling it and going back to the T500.  The FFB on the T500 is strong and smooth.  I can really feel going over bumps and rough terrain.  

Wheel Rim Impressions: I love the stock GT rim.  The rubber is high quality and as Darin would say, it gets the job done.  The size is perfect, particularly for NASCAR oval racing, which is my favorite kind of sim racing (iRacing, of course).  It feels great in my hands, I wear biking gloves.

Buttons (placement, amount and quality): No complaints here, has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Shifters: The stationary paddle shifters on the wheel base are adequate, but I prefer the sequential or H shifter.   I did have to change out the switches on the paddle shifters, using the Bodin replacement shifter switches available on the Bodin Solutions website.  I have two Thrustmaster THR8S shifters, one in sequential, one in H mode, that I use with my T500.    The THR8S is well built and has never failed me. 

Pedals (if included): The T500 pedals are wildly underrated.  Add the Basherboards stiff brake mod and the brake pedal feels as good, if not better than the load cell brake on the Clubsports.

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): PC, PS3

Racing titles played: PS3 - Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6 and Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends  PC - iRacing, rFactor, rFactor 2, Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, GRID 2, GRID Autosport, F1 2012, F1 2013, Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown, Next Car Game, NASCAR the Game, Richard Burns Rally and GT Legends 

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions: PS3 - in GT6, I personally use 9 for FFB Torque, and 6 for FFB Sensitivity; PC - I generally use 60 Overall Forces, with all other settings in driver at 100.  For GRID Autosport, I have to increase the FFB in driver to 80 or 90 and reduce the sensitivity to 360 to get decent FFB feel; for F1 2013, I have to reduce the sensitivity to 270 in driver. 

Customer Service: Overall, I would rate it good, they are responsive.

Issues: I did have to replace the stationary paddle shifter switches.  I also had an issue for a while where the Thrustmaster driver would not run when I would connect the wheel and I would instead get some generic driver in Windows.  I changed out motherboards and that problem seemed to abate, although it does re-surface once in a while.  Thrustmaster support was unable to help me.

Overall score (out of 5): 5 out of 5.  Worth every penny.  As I mention above, its the best wheel I have ever owned.  Other wheels I have owned include the Fanatec GT2, CSR, CSR Elite and CSW.  I also owned a Logitech Driving Force GT.  I owned a Microsoft Wireless Racing wheel.  And, I currently own a Thrustmaster TX wheel, along with the T500.  I do a lot of racing on PC and PS3 and so the T500 works best for me.  The wheel is clearly built with Gran Turismo in mind, not just because of the GT branding, but also because of the performance.  

Hi everyone, here is my review of the T500

Product: T500rs

Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Packaging: The wheel and pedal set were very well packaged and everything survived shipping without a scratch.

First Impressions: I was WOW'ed when I first took the wheel and the pedals out of the box, the weight, the feel, the looks.

Performance: I've had a Logitech DFGT and a G25, the last wheel I had before the T500 was a Fanatec GT2 wheel (clubsport edition with the CSP pedals V1), well, I was so disapointed with the GT2 wheel, it almost turned me right off sim racing, getting a T500 was a last ditch attempt at salvaging my interest in the hobby. The T500 did just that, it felt fantastic in comparison to the GT2, the force feedback, the smoothness and the accuracy of this wheel just blew me away.

Wheel Rim Impressions: I loved the T500 GT wheel, I like the rubber feel of the wheel, the thickness of the wheel, the diameter of the wheel, the only thing I don't like about this wheel is the button placement.

Buttons (placement, amount and quality): the buttons on the GT wheel are too much towards the center of the wheel thus making it difficult to reach them while driving. The feel of the buttons do feel good however. I've also bought the GTE and F1 rims, both are great wheels and the button placement is so much better on both these wheels. They also have decent buttons.

Shifters: I rarely use paddle shifters but really didn't like the static paddles of the T500 wheel base, so much so that I removed them, The paddles on both the GTE and F1 rims feel good and work well with great placement and a good possitive feel.

Pedals (if included): I fell in love with the T500 pedals, I used them inverted and with the included stiff brake mod, I liked it enough to store my Clubsport pedals, I later bought the Bodin Load Cell mod for the T500 pedals, this turned a good set of pedals into something great, I love these pedals and have no intentions of changing them. I've since sold my Clubsport pedals. I really liked the idea of being able to use these pedals in the regular mode or inverted without much headaches.

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): PC mostly, PS3 rarely

Racing titles played: GTR2, GT Legends, Race 07, rFactor, rFactor-2, iRacing, Dirt-2, Dirt-3, Grid, Grid-2, Grid Autosport, Assetto Corsa, EuroTruck Simulator, etc (can't remember the rest off hand lol)

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions: I haven't messed with the Thrustmaster profiler in a long time so I can't remember, but my settings may be or are very close to default settings

Customer Service: I emailed TM a couple times with questions shortly after getting the wheel, questions were answered, never had to send anything back due to failure.

Issues: I had to do the longer hub screw mod to my wheel base, the hub kept coming a little loose, I tapped out the 4 holes and added longer screws, that was a year and a half ago, the hub has never come loose again. I also had to change out the fan, original fan was starting to make odd sounds like the bushings were about to fail, I bought a ball bearing fan and changed it out and put the new fan in the new location as recomended by TM.

Overall score (out of 5): I'm giving my T500 a 4 out of 5, loosing one point for having to mod the short wheel hub screws and for the cheap fan failure. Otherwise, this thing is a solid 5

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Product: T500RS

Date Purchased: December 2013

Packaging: no issues, secure packaging, no damage to the wheel or pedals

First Impressions: Very impressed! My previous wheels included madcats wheel for the orignal Xbox, 2x M$ wheels on the Xbox 360 and then a Fanatec GT2  with CSP for the xbox 360/PC..  The T500 feels solid.

Performance: happy customer... more FFB than I need, I tend to dial it back a little, zero wheel wobble (this was an issue with all previous wheels) smooth feedback and smooth input, no coggy feeling.

Wheel Rim Impressions: Good size, close to a normal wheel size. Don't so much like the rubber, tends to get a bit smelly (rubber smell).

Buttons (placement, amount and quality): happy with button placement, am used to previous wheels where the layout is simular and am used to using the thumbs to navigate the buttons.

Shifters: paddle shifters are fine, large with a good feel, only complaint would have been that they are fixed and don't move with the wheel... but that said it is also a pro, once used to it i found it much easier...  up/down shift is always where you put it and not dependant on wheel rotation.

Pedals (if included): Great for what they are, previously had CSP v1's and when they broke went to the t500 pedals. I don't see the T500 pedals as a downgrade but could do with a slightly better 'brake mod' for better progression.

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): PC only

Racing titles played: most titles, Project cars, assetto corsa, Race 07, Raceroom, Rfactor 1 & 2, dirt series etc.

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions: I don't like to have sore shoulders when im done with a race session so have the FFB set at about 50%, otherwise all settings as they come.

Customer Service: N/A

Issues: None so far.

Overall score (out of 5) 4.0 if had a better brake mod would be 4.5

So there's a story behind this review... 

Product: T500RS

Date Purchased: 3/2013

Packaging: Large box with much styrofoam, plastic bags

First Impressions: WOW. This thing is HUGE. Heavy. Feels like you spent $600 on it.

Performance: POWER. SO much more powerful than the G27 it replaced for me. Also as it was belt drive, it was much smoother than I was used to. Very responsive to boot.

Wheel Rim Impressions: Looked great, all metal and rubber and very legit feeling.

Buttons (placement, amount and quality): Basically a Playstation controller layout, and labeled as such, which I liked, as the G27's blank buttons annoyed me. Felt fine, but can be a little tough to reach in the heat of the race.

Shifters: Static paddles. Love 'em or hate em. I got used to it, but do prefer a moving paddle as it turns out.

Pedals (if included): Ah the T500RS pedals. Big. Metal. Invertable. Kinda ugly! I personally LOVE them, BUT I had only used the G27 and previous Logitech sets in comparison. The Basher Brake mod is a bit of a must tho.

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): PC, with the occasional PS3 use.

Racing titles played: RRE, F1, Need for Speed MW, AC, GRID Series, DIRT series, NASCAR series, lots of other stuff (PC) GT5/6, NASCAR Inside Line (PS3)

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions: Take some time and dial it in. There are many options in the wheel profiler and usually in game too. It's SO powerful tho that you probably won't be able to run it full bore comfortably tho, I've hear people reccomend 80%, but I typically run more like 60% and am still occasionally caught off guard and can lose control of the wheel.

Customer Service: Haven't had to use it! (knock on wood)

Issues: Cooling fan is a little obnoxious, but I'd rather it be loud than dead. "Diamond plate" heel rest is a little silly looking. Static paddles didn't end up being ideal for pretty much anyone. LARGE BASE can make you have to get creative with monitor placement

Overall score (out of 5): I don't like to score things, but here's now I feel about the T500RS. I LOVE this thing. I feel fortunate to own it. BUT, I probably wouldn't buy it... at full price. I think $599 is just too expensive.

I'm not bragging here, so PLEASE don't read it as such... but when I bought my T500RS it was right at the tail end of the whole weird "between GT5 and 6" period where they were selling for $399 in a lot of places, (and I DO think THAT is a very fair price) and I found mine open (and beaten up!) box for WELL under even that price, SO after selling my G27 (whoops) I was into my T500RS for less than G27 money. As such it's always been hard for me to give the T500RS my "unqualified stamp of approval" if you will since I STILL don't think I'd pay full price for one, even after using it for a year... ALTHOUGH it's a great wheel and base and a silly big pedal set that does everything it claims to.

If my T500RS died tomorow (please don't die) I'd pretty much have to spring for a TX or T300RS tho since I have all the TM-compatible parts now, but if I was just buying new today out of my pocket, I'd probably just get another G27, since it was compatible with more games and includes the shifter and good pedals, and especially now is just DIRT cheap. And... I don't believe the T500RS is 3 times MORE FUN as the G27 for 3 times the cost. Better, yes. Stronger, smoother, BIGGER... but that's a lot of extra outlay for that better. If you're crazy serious SIM-GUY tho, you'll be able to justify the expense I'm sure. :)

To sum up. T500RS = Awesome. Powerful. HEAVY. Does a lot of cool stuff, with a lot of cool add-ons. Worth what you're willing to spend, if you're willing to spend it. 

Product: t500rs

Date Purchased: june 2013

Packaging: Better than other wheels I had - the box is big and spacy. Easy to put the wheel and all of its parts back inside and close it unlike logitech boxes. Also includes allen wrenches, spare screws, additional spring for the brake pedal.

First Impressions: Good! Heavy, shiny, metal pedals.

Performance:  Input is laggy unless you update the firmware. Very strong feedback 2-3 times stronger than g27 but g27 has better detail. Takes time to get used to stationary shift paddles if you come from rotating ones.

Wheel Rim Impressions: Cheap looking plastic on the wheel rim. Bigger diameter than other wheels.

Buttons (placement, amount and quality): I don't like the playstation style buttons on the wheel. Other than that they are ok.

Shifters: No shifter in the package.

Pedals (if included): Brake pedal has considerable dead zone, other than that they are very solid and have a lot of options - can flip them for GT or formula style placement, can move around the pedal faces, can add additional spring to the brake pedal to make it stiffer but with shorter travel.

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): PC

Racing titles played: iracing, assetto corsa, gtr2, gpl, dirt 3, grid

Force Feedback Settings / Suggestions: With this wheel it is possible to set it too strong which can make you slower because of fighting with the wheel so start slowly.

Customer Service: Didn't deal with them directly.

Issues: After using it for almost 2 years, the downshifting paddle stopped working and the cooling fan became noisy. The back side of the paddles corroded and became dark gray and rough.

Overall score (out of 5): 3.5 - The wheel is just not built to the quality that its price would suggest.