Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TH8A / RS User Reviews

5 posts in this topic

This thread has been created for you the end user of a Thrustmaster TH8A or TH8RS to post your thoughts, impressions and overall review of this item just like if you bought it on Amazon and posted a review on their site. This thread is for REVIEWS ONLY !  All other posts and or replies will be deleted. 

We'd also like you to rate this thread to score your product and it will hopefully give this wheel an overall community score. Please don't rate the thread unless you own this product, rate your hardware so that others can get an idea of how this product scores by hearing how it performs for you.  You can rate the wheel by clicking on the stars in the upper left of this thread. We know the score won't be perfect because anyone with a wheel or not can score it so put your score in the post as well.

I've also provided a template for your review to fill in the blanks or you can create one from scratch on your own. Help the community decide if this is a product they would like to purchase based on your feedback!  - Thanks

Product:

Date Purchased:

Packaging:

First Impressions:

Performance:

Sequential / Gated Shifting Impressions:

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc):

Racing titles played:

Customer Service:

Issues:

Overall score (out of 5)

Product: Thrustmaster THR8S Shifter

Date Purchased: July 2012

Packaging: Excellent, looks great, but also protects the shifter quite nicely.

First Impressions: Build quality is amazing, mostly metal, very little plastic.  

Performance:  I actually own two of these now, one in sequential, one in H mode.  Both shifters have worked virtually perfect.  The included clamp keeps the shifter solidly in place and is very flexible as to positioning.  The USB cable that extends out from the shifter is nice and long, I have had no problem running it to my PC and PS3. 

Sequential / Gated Shifting Impressions:  The sequential feels great, it has a good throw with a solid feel up and down.  The H mode similarly feels great, I never miss a gate.  

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): Xbox 360 (using Basherboards SFA-1), PS3, PC

Racing titles played: Xbox 360 - Forza 4 (using Basherboards SFA-1)  PS3 - Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo 6  PC - iRacing, rFactor, rFactor 2, Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, GRID 2, GRID Autosport, Richard Burns Rally (as a handbrake), GT Legends

Customer Service: Responsive

Issues: I had a problem one time where the shifters would not work on my PC and I just needed to re-install the driver.

Overall score (out of 5)  5 out of 5.  This shifter is simply one of the best sim racing products I have ever used.  I was blessed when I won an ISR contest and got a second one for free from Thrustmaster.  

TH8A

Date Purchased: Oct 2014- 

Packaging: from amazon in another box

First Impressions: not good.  first one was DOA see here http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/15213-th8a-dead/ but once I got one that was working... Blew the g27 shifter out of the water.

Performance: Does what it needs to do. 

Sequential / Gated Shifting Impressions: Haven't used sequential, but h pattern works perfectly

Used with (PC, PS3, PS4, XBox, etc): Xbox One, PC, hope ps4 here soon. 

Racing titles played: iRacing, FM5, FH2, AC, Grid Autosport, Dirt 3

Customer Service: Please see this. http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/15213-th8a-dead/ customer service was quick to respond. Called them first. about 10min wait on the phone for u.s. customer service line, but they wanted me to put first shifter into bootload didn't work...but at least they were quick to respond to emails after the call. 

Overall score (out of 5): 4 because first one was dead. Also seen some amazon reviews from other countries when googling the issue people getting DOA units....however amazon is amazing and had a replacement here the very next day

Product: TH8RS

Date Purchased: early 2013

Packaging: Well packed.

First Impressions: Looked cool, big.

Performance: Solid, reliable.

Gated : Solid shift, but the throw feels to a little long as well as the gates spacing a little far. More like my truck than my 280.

Sequential is solid,just needing a cog/click at shift to make it perfect.

PC, PS3, should the same on PS4. Doesnt work on my Xbox :(

Racing titles played:

PC =iRacing, Asetto Corsa, GT sim bin series, F1 series, etc.

PS3 =just gran turismo

Customer Service:

Haven't needed it, shifter has been solid and reliable.

Issues:

Overall score (out of 5)

4/5 Not docking points for incompatibility with Xbox or new TX systems.

The TH8RS a solid gate/sequintial shifter;shift gears,hammer nails, loosen lug nuts solid.

The mounting bracket is the best I've used, I have not felt the need to hard mount it. It has allowed me to quickly move the shifter when changing from gated to sequintial. I like gated near my thigh and sequintial up high near the wheel.

Looking for new, get a TH8A. Find one cheap, grab it unless you have an Xbox.

Product:

Thrustmaster TH8A

Date Purchased:

04/2015

Packaging:

packed well, well protected, felt like appropriate quality. 

https://youtu.be/dUx3b5EmKJkmy unboxing vid, so you can see for yourself!

First Impressions:

heavy duty, very solid, good weight, felt what I would want for a sim product, feels like I can use it as a weapon haha!
Performance:
Works great, make sure you have easy access to the tension adjuster, over time I have to re adjust mine since the shift points seem to soften up over time. overall no hiccups, been great!

both work as advertised, wished there was a quicker way to change the shift plates, like an internal spring and a clip with a push button release, besides that both feel great. shifter is a little long for my taste though and sometimes I wish they included a short shifting bar. 
PC
Racing titles played:
Iracing, AC, Dirt 3, Dirt Rally
Customer Service:
never needed it
Issues:
None!

Overall score (out of 5)
4 out of 5, with an easier method to change the shift plates, and a short shifting bar it would be perfect. 
https://youtu.be/SYr7AEJc45Mmy review video of it.