Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Special Event - iRacing Driver Swap Endurance Race

47 posts in this topic

I don't know if it could keep up but I'm interested to see how much of a speed difference there is.  I just like the idea of pushing a slower car and getting it up the grid higher than it should be, sometimes that can be just as rewarding as a win as Top Gear once proven when they did endurance racing in a diesel BMW

I really can't wait for this feature, have done a 24 hour endurance race using Gran Turismo 6, but we did literal driver changes, with all our teams drivers meeting in the same place to race, but this makes it difficult to get teams signing up. In game driver changes will get more interest :D

As for this event, for a serious endurance race, I think it should be 24 hours personally, 12 would be the lowest :D

Track and cars?

Well, Spa I think is the best endurance track in iRacing at the moment, it even has the endurance pit layout :P

GT3 cars would be great and could possibly add the multi class in, but to keep closer to real world Spa 24, I would add some lower spec cars, maybe touring cars (not sure if there are many other cars that can race as the GT3's do, most other series seem to be single car classes).

My most likely version of endurance-race is multiclass of proto's and GT, then:

Cars: Riley DP + Radical + Ford GT + maybe HPD + maybe Corvette + maybe Mustang or Optima or Caddi + one from next:

1) RUF RWD + McLaren or BMW

2) All GT3

and maybe some classes combined to one (reasonable, of course).

Races:

6h or 1000 km (or 12h maximum) of Spa (most likely because good track with 60 pit-stalls) / 6h or 1000 km of Watkins Glen Classic Boot

or...

6h or 1000 km of Suzuka / 10h Road Atlanta

I have very specific liking :)

We'd like you to help us decide some of the logistics of this very special event. Please reply with the following info on how you would like to see this race run. 

Since the timing is right and since driver swaps are all about simulating endurance events, why not try and reproduce the last WEC event of 2014?

6 HOURS OF SAO PAULO   

We have Interlagos sooooo....???

Distance / Length of Race:  6hours

Track: Interlagos

Cars: Option1: P2 class: HPD, LMGTE-PRO class (BMW or MP4 or RUF track)

Cars: Option2: P2 class: HPD, LMGTE-PRO class: (BMW or MP4), LMGTE-AM or GTD class: Ruf c-spec

Minimum amount of drivers per team: 2 or 3...

Why not keep Daytona, Sebring, Bathurst and the rest for 2015...  :cool:

OK Interlagos souns great :) Option 1 from @Lightspeed seems the best to have a strong field within every car class.

Just had my 1st 10 min run Giles Villeneuve with the Ruf Cup and that's a very nice track for endurance series too. Long track, great overtaking spots, the best chicane in the world, long straights ... it's a winner track for endurance.

Can't wait for this new build to come out ... I think this will be great fun  :D

I completely agree with mertol about driving assists.  I suggest full-length Bathurst 1000

Distance / Length of Race:  161 laps / 6h 30m

Track: Mount Panorama

Cars: Ford, Holden V8 supercars

Minimum amount of drivers per team: 2

jesus christ! this is the best idea ive ever read. +1000

I completely agree with mertol about driving assists.  I suggest full-length Bathurst 1000

Distance / Length of Race:  161 laps / 6h 30m

Track: Mount Panorama

Cars: Ford, Holden V8 supercars

Minimum amount of drivers per team: 2

+1

It won't be a problem anyway since the servers are going to crash or drivers will start disconnecting on the first attempt to swap or something like this. Iracing doesn't have a record of succeeding from the first try.

Distance / Length of Race:  6hrs

Track:  Watkins Glen - Classic Boot

Cars (3 classes total):  (P) DP & HPD; (GT3): McLaren MP4-12C, Ruf RT 12R Track, BMW Z4 GT3

Minimum amount of drivers per team: 3

In my mind this may give the best participation which I think is the overall goal.  Great participation to hook the most sim racers into endurance sim racing without overwhelming them on the first try.  

First, The Glen hasn't gotten any special events from iRacing in a while and by the time you get this off the ground you will already be very close to the iRacing Rolex 2.4 in January.  And with no 120 Mins of Thunder this year, its a perfect opportunity to use the Glen which I think a lot of people own, given participation in the past.  Second, why not use both prototype cars unless 3 different classes would make it harder on having enough prices.  Third, use all 3 GT3 cars and they all compete in the same class for prices.  They compete against each other already in iRacing official series.  Last but not least, 6 hour race length.  For the very first "big" event involving driver swaps, I think it would be a good idea not to overwhelm people with the idea of a 12hr race and having to make time to possibly race multiple stints since this is planned as a big event and not a niche community or hosted event.   Then later on down the line grow the length to longer race times.