Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no DLC?

13 posts in this topic

it sucks that support for this game is non existent. My game wont run if using motion, which came out of nowhere, not from an update. And now I realize I cant buy any dlc as microsoft closed the pc marketplace. on steam they said there working on removing dirt 3 from windowsmarketplace but that will never happen as its been a year..

Do i have any other option to get the dlc? 

Don't count it out yet. A lot of games have taken forever to remove GFWL, and then suddenly appear. The fact Codemasters has removed Dirt 2 from sale, but kept 3 means they're probably still working on incorporating Steamworks to replace GFWL. And if it's any consolation, because of the stupid way you had to purchase DLC for the game, there's almost no way to track what was bought. So similar games have just given all users ALL DLC when the upgrade was finally made. It's not out of the question you'll get it all if you already own Dirt 3 on Steam.

EDIT: I'm not sure how cryptic that posts reads. If people are unaware, GFWL is basically the walking dead. And companies are replacing GFWL with Steamworks so they can still sell the game once the GFWL switch is turned off.

Yeah, Codemasters is working on to change from GFWL to Steamworks but there hasn't been any update on the progress in ages.

The Windows Live Marketplace shut down ages ago so unless you get the DLC before then you are buggered. (unless you can get a hold of the DLC files then you can just delete the DLC database and it unlocks all the DLC)

The motion bug was introduced in version 1.2 of Dirt 3. I run a DVD copy of Dirt 3 and it works fine with my motion and gauges but there is no way of downgrading the steam version so you are stuck with the buggy 1.2 version. I have asked codemasters several times to fix this and their response is always no they won't fix it.

There should be a record of it in the store log. But since it's Codemasters, it's likely the final update occurred when they released the second patch for console versions. Sony and MS only allow two free patches for games. After that, you have to pay. So Codemasters basically ends all activity on their games after that second patch hits. Good, bad, or ugly, production is finished.

It's interesting that you said it came out of nowhere. The game just refuses to launch? Is that your issue? When running motion? If so, it could be something changed on the Live server side. Because when you first install Dirt 3, the game won't launch unless you do some vodoo magic of loading a Live file, starting it manually, and then launching via Steam. So it's possible the issues are related somehow.

Good news would be, if it is tied to Live, the issue should disappear when they ditch GFWL for Steamworks.

The older Codemaster games all used to give me random CTD problems because of Live. Whenever I loaded a new track, there's was a roll of the dice chance it would hang. Issue could be solved by refusing to log into GFWL, but that wasn't an option for online play. GFWL sucked on many levels.

I posted the issue here before, the thread title was dirt 3 crashes. It basically if I minimized the screen for anyreason, or crossed a finish line, or restarted a race it would crash with an error. Me turning the motion off in the hardware settings fixed the error. so idk? 

So it sounds like you can actually launch the game. Out of curiosity, I would launch the game. Then refuse to sign into GFWL. Just play offline. I realize you won't have your unlocked progress, but it's just an experiment. Does it still crash then? If you can suddenly play with your motion hardware and not crash, then it's a Live conflict causing the crashes. And that issue would go away when they switch to Steamworks.

The motion bug is a known bug, it has nothing to do with GFWL, it was caused by bad programming in the 1.2 update. If you can find a DVD version of the original game then you can run it unpatched and then the motion won't crash the game but you will have motion in the menu.

Codemasters introduced the bug in the 1.2 update in an attempt to stop the motion in the menus but their approach was a bit ham-fisted and they close the UDP port incorrectly which causes the crash going over the finish line.

In the Dirt 3 1.2 changelog, this is what broke it.

-Physics output to motion simulators is now correctly faded out at the end of a race, preventing some situations within which motion would continue after crossing the finish line.

That "Fade out" was programmed incorrectly and it causes a winsock error because the UDP port is closed incorrectly. By the error that would get I think they are trying to close the port twice so the second time it throws up an error meaning the port is already closed.

As for the update for GFWL. they are still working on it.

This is the latest update about a week ago from the Community Manager on 29th of August http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/207/dirt-3-gfwl-problems-faq  

As for the Steam fix it's still being worked on, its turned out to be a much bigger job than expected. Will update when the works done.

This is one of my posts on the Dirt 3 forum about the motion bug. Please post a comment there. Maybe if we gave them enough pressure they might fix it when the Steam update comes out. BTW what kind of motion system are you running?

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/183/dirt-3-telemetry-and-motion-simulator-bug

Yeah, sim vibe uses the motion data so to get it going you need to turn on the motion support which will cause the crash.

I have my Sim vide and GS-4 working with Dirt 3 without the crash but that if only because I am using an old DVD copy of dirt 3 which is at version 1.1. I just say no to the updates when they pop up.

Because I am running an old version I can't play multiplayer also.