Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster T300 RS Review on PS3

24 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk1ofKBzCgU

Presenting our review of the Thrustmaster T300 RS for the Playstation 3. I run it with Gran Turismo 6 and Dirt 3 and give you my impressions. I also try it with every current wheel that Thrustmaster has released as part of their Eco System.

how come brushless motors are just now starting to show up in wheels? i figured with as long as they have been out they would already be mainstream for wheels already.

by far the coolest feature is the deg. switching from the base....

Well I am considering buying this one T300Rs or the TX458 so I am waiting for the PC review of them, and by the way is there any difference between these pedals and the TX 458 pedals?

Looks good, really good... in fact it's probably my new "If my T500RS ever dies..." wheel.

I like the "ecosystem" concept, but really it'd cost more, as you know those pedals are just a throw in. I think it'd break down like this:

Base: $250 (To make the numbers work... but honestly?? $299 at least... MAYBE even $399, since the cheapest "base" competition would be what, $599 for a CSWv2?? And no way it'd be as cheap as $199, as there's no money being made there.)

Rim: $130 (TM rims currently range from $130 (GTE) to $180 (F1) and as the T300's rim is basically a GTE...)

Pedals $50 (T3PA is $100, right? So I imagine the basic 2 pedal set would be $50... probably more once they packaged it and all, but I'd say that's realistic. Probably would end up more like $70 tho...)

So it's a $430 to $530 proposition, IF you bought all TM stuff... that you get for $399 now! And with a little shopping around you can occasionally get the whole setup for as low as $299. 

I think at $399 that TM should include a nice, metal GTE level rim and a T3PA level 3 pedal set, and then have a $299 "Base" set that includes a "gets you going" TX style plastic rim and the 2 pedal set, for the casual or console guys. But having a set that included good pedals would solve every problem...Although I DO remember a LOT of peope being real down on the T500RS's pedals at first too. The brake DID need a little help tho... :) 

BTW Khyber, I'm sick of you owning a CSWv2 already... and you don't even own it yet! :lol:

I'm seriously thinking of getting this base once my HPP pedals arrive, it seems to be a slight step up from the T500RS and it'll mean all my existing wheels will work.  It'll also allow me to sell my T500 complete with pedals and the bodin load cell AND it would make a nice stop gap until I have the funds for the Accuforce.  Complete win win in my book

BTW Khyber, I'm sick of you owning a CSWv2 already... and you don't even own it yet! :lol:

oh i own it as i already paid for it... i just got nothing to show for that money spent yet lol

Personally, I like the look of the t300 base better than the tx. It doesn't have that ugly Kinect ID thingy and the vents look cooler. Too bad I already have a TX though

Oh I like the look too but functionally they don't seem that difference. To me this translates as I can save money by using the TX base with a T300 rim on a PS4 if this indeed is possible. 1080 degrees of rotation isn't something I'll be using. 900 is fine.

If its possible, I will be putting some black tape over the xbox branding :P

I get why Thrustmaster doesn't sell their products separately, I imagine that unlike Fanatec most of their business comes from retail stores from people who aren't hardcore simracers and don't want to have to go thru the trouble of  picking every single component. You can if you need to, the new "eco-system" allows for more specialized bundling but the bulk of their buyers are casual gamers. They could however and should, since they now have their own online store, sell the components separately like Fanatec does to cater to the more special tastes of simracers.

Oh I like the look too but functionally they don't seem that difference. To me this translates as I can save money by using the TX base with a T300 rim on a PS4 if this indeed is possible. 1080 degrees of rotation isn't something I'll be using. 900 is fine.

If its possible, I will be putting some black tape over the xbox branding :P

That won't work. It's the BASE that works with the specific system on a TM wheel, not the rim. The rims are designed to be swapped between bases tho, so apparently you can use the XBOX rim on the PS3, although it didn't work 100% for me with the TX rim on the T500RS base due to some button conflicts.

yes it's correct.

The T300 RS base is for PS System...

The TX base is for Xbox One system...

All the wheel can be exchanges

They are pretty much the same, so...

TX for XBONE/PC,

T300RS for PS/PC

T300GTE for PC/PS

Pick the one you need for your system, if you happen to race both on XBOX and PS tough luck. A new rim adding XBOX compatibility to the T300 would be great.

I think a rim CAN'T give compatibility, everything is in the base and not in the rim.

The rim is just an "interface", it doesn't have any intelligence.

Yes, I know it can't. What I meant by "compatibility" was the required logo in the licensing. The rest I imagine is just a firmware issue since the base is pretty much the same.

Darin, 

Are you still planning a PC centric review of the T300-RS?   I'm thinking hard about getting this wheel sometime this year.  I do most of my sim-racing on the PC but I do have a PS4 and it would be nice to have a compatible wheel whenever Gran Turismo 7 rolls around.