Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 83: F1 2010 Review on PS3

28 posts in this topic

In this Episode we check out the PS3 version of F1 2010 by Codemasters. We don't "Shibami" it, but do go in depth and test it with 7 different wheels and tell you how we set them up in game and we show you how to set up a buttkicker if you are using an HDMI cable for your video/audio. We also show you what "Living the Life" is all about in the F1 2010 career mode. After that we tell you how we feel about this new title with Pros and Cons and "The Revs Scale" Next month we will put all 3 versions of F1 2010 (PC, XBox 360 and PS3) on the Shibami and see how it fairs online. Hope you enjoy the show !

Hi Darin, Shawn and Jessica.

Just wondering if the folks at Codemasters might have hinted to you as to when a bug fixing patch will be released for the PC version of F1 2010?

I'm still having serious sound issues with this game, this is the only game I'm having problems with, even Dirt-2 works well. By the time I get to play this thing, everyone will have moved on to something else! LOL

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Hi Darin,

Once again many thanks for a great show with a thorough review. Your show is one of the best things on the internet and F1 is probably best racing game I have ever played. Its so emmersive, exciting and exhausting all at the same time. There is one issue I do not agree with. You have stated that both the new WRC and F1 2010 are not for the hard core sim racer and are designed with physics and handling that allow gameplay to be more accessible and less intimidating to the average player. The thing is that Codemasters themselves have stated it is easier to dumb down a good sim than it is to turn an arcade engine into a sim. Why can't the developers produce a pure hard core sim that can be easily dumbed down to match the skill level of the player. Codemasters already do this with F1 2010 with the exception of a specific hard core sim level. Such an engine would have benefits for all players and we would all be catered for. I have read a quote from Stephen Hood expressing his desire to develop and implement a more advanced physics model for F1 2011 that rivals some of the so called 'hard core PC sims'. Maybe developers are beginnng to realise that advanced physics and greater realsim are becoming more valued by the community. Having said that, I instinctively feel that F1 2010 comes closer than most and overall, the package cannot be beaten. If they manage to fix the magor bugs, it will quite simply be superb.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Darin,

Once again many thanks for a great show with a thorough review. Your show is one of the best things on the internet and F1 is probably best racing game I have ever played. Its so emmersive, exciting and exhausting all at the same time. There is one issue I do not agree with. You have stated that both the new WRC and F1 2010 are not for the hard core sim racer and are designed with physics and handling that allow gameplay to be more accessible and less intimidating to the average player. The thing is that Codemasters themselves have stated it is easier to dumb down a good sim than it is to turn an arcade engine into a sim. Why can't the developers produce a pure hard core sim that can be easily dumbed down to match the skill level of the player. Codemasters already do this with F1 2010 with the exception of a specific hard core sim level. Such an engine would have benefits for all players and we would all be catered for. I have read a quote from Stephen Hood expressing his desire to develop and implement a more advanced physics model for F1 2011 that rivals some of the so called 'hard core PC sims'. Maybe developers are beginnng to realise that advanced physics and greater realsim are becoming more valued by the community. Having said that, I instinctively feel that F1 2010 comes closer than most and overall, the package cannot be beaten. If they manage to fix the magor bugs, it will quite simply be superb.

Regards,

Paul

Great if all things are equal. Codies is out to make money and money is where the consoles are. The PC market in N Am is getting smaller compared to the consoles and the PC sim market is a small percentage of the the PC gaming market. The question is: is the effort to make a hardcore sim that has many of the features of let say rFactor that will only work on a PC worth their time and resources when the return in monies will be min or concentrate giving a decent racing game for the consoles and a port to the PC and max their returns. Guess what the answer would be. rem Codies is not a small independent game designing firm like a dedicated sim racing group like ISI so Codies have more investors and a publisher to make happy. Just IMHO.

Fair points guys although its sounds as if Codemasters will continue to advance the physics which will hopefully benefit us all and I think they will do it with some passion.

Hi dogged, no offence taken. The AI issues are thorny and wasn't the faking of times in practice and quali connected to the use of accelerated time? With luck Codemasters may well find a way round this for the future. Putting aside bugs I'm sure they will creating more believable AI behaviour which isn't bad as it stands. However, I was particularly thinking about the handling of the F1 itself and improvements that will make the models feel more 'alive' varied and realistic than they already are, which will hopefully include advances in force feedback as well. I dont really think it would turn out to be too expensive to advance things in this direction and would undoubtedly improve the feel, excitement and saleability of the game as a whole.

Regards,

Paul

Because of Codie's F1 lic they are prob already working on new and improved features for F1 2011 (maybe even 2012). So how much time and effort they are going to put into any major updates for 2010 would be in question. They would want you to buy 2011 to get more advanced physics, graphics and other do dags that some sim racers/gamers would/might want would prob be my guess. Any time there is a date associated with a racing title (or any seasonal game...Madden, NHL and most other sport titles) and the developer has a lic for a few years more means that the current title would be soon abandon for the new dated title. Only way I see them doing any major work on 2010 is that all sub releases of their F1 lic would be just upgrades and not full game releases, which I really doubt. Just economics :| . IMO

ADD: yes they are going to provide bug patches but any major over haul of the game engine and/or features would be unlikely until the next dated version.

Because of Codie's F1 lic they are prob already working on new and improved features for F1 2011 (maybe even 2012). So how much time and effort they are going to put into any major updates for 2010 would be in question. They would want you to buy 2011 to get more advanced physics, graphics and other do dags that some sim racers/gamers would/might want would prob be my guess. Any time there is a date associated with a racing title (or any seasonal game...Madden, NHL and most other sport titles) and the developer has a lic for a few years more means that the current title would be soon abandon for the new dated title. Only way I see them doing any major work on 2010 is that all sub releases of their F1 lic would be just upgrades and not full game releases, which I really doubt. Just economics :| . IMO

Tinker, they've already announced a patch.. How many times will they patch it ?..? Probably once because like you said, the 2011 version is around the corner..

Tinker, they've already announced a patch.. How many times will they patch it ?..? Probably once because like you said, the 2011 version is around the corner..

Yes I know as I added to my post. Bug patches yes since if they do not then they will get a lot of flak. They have to make the existing game work and fix game issues. Added features and other stuff will not happen until 2011 due the time sensitive/limitation nature of their dated F1 2010 title.

Guys - another great episode!

I really enjoy playing F1 2010 on my PS3. After a hard day in the office, booting up the console, fireing up the beamer and just running another bunch of laps in F1 2010 is just currently so much more fun for me than playing any of the hardcore sims - although I really like IRacing and RaceOn.

And although I think Forza 3 is a great racing game too - compared to F1 this just fees like nothing more than the driving home after the race :)

It is a pitty that some of the bugs are really frustrating, so I am really looking forward to that patch.

And I hope that they adress the force feedback issues with the Fanatec wheels, as I am playing on a PWTS and CSP.

What I am wondering about your ingame wheel settings is the following:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the steering saturation is basically just a reduction of the degrees of rotation necessary to have full lock, right?

Therefore I wanted to ask what degrees of rotation you had dialed in on your fanatec wheels, so that 70% saturation works best for you?

Cheers,

Flo

Guys - another great episode!

I really enjoy playing F1 2010 on my PS3. After a hard day in the office, booting up the console, fireing up the beamer and just running another bunch of laps in F1 2010 is just currently so much more fun for me than playing any of the hardcore sims - although I really like IRacing and RaceOn.

And although I think Forza 3 is a great racing game too - compared to F1 this just fees like nothing more than the driving home after the race :)

It is a pitty that some of the bugs are really frustrating, so I am really looking forward to that patch.

And I hope that they adress the force feedback issues with the Fanatec wheels, as I am playing on a PWTS and CSP.

What I am wondering about your ingame wheel settings is the following:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the steering saturation is basically just a reduction of the degrees of rotation necessary to have full lock, right?

Therefore I wanted to ask what degrees of rotation you had dialed in on your fanatec wheels, so that 70% saturation works best for you?

Cheers,

Flo

We put the wheel at 210 degrees for those settings. It's all about personal preference though..

Console game developers need to keep the best part of consoles going....and that of course is split screen.(codem did promise it in Dirt3 at least) ..4 person split screen,not just 2p :? T10. And SRT should give attention to this ability. OH :o I enjoyed the show and keep it going.

What I don't get are why more developers are not making their game trip screens. Do they not understand they will sell three Copys of the game to people. What business in the world would not want to increase sales ?

I bought the PS3 version last weekend. My comp is 6 years old and will not run the PC version.

I spent a few hours iwth the game and already encountered some of the bugs.

Looking forward to catching up on this episode and a few others that I missed.

:)