Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't believe the hype..... Or do you?

17 posts in this topic

Don't believe the hype........ Or do you?

So what's the hype........ Fanatec CSW B V2

"Although it looks familiar to you it has almost no part which has not been modified or replaced to make it a better base.

Our focus was durability, durability, durability and then performance. And while we made a radical re-design, we decided to make an offer nobody can refuse.

The smoothness, vividness and precision of a Direct Drive wheel combined with a torque increase of about 75% and (optional) compatibility to the latest gaming consoles. And all that with a moderate price increase.

So, do you believe the hype? Read on..........

I was lucky enough to be picked as a beta tester for this base, a pre production CSW V2. I've had a long standing relationship with Fanatec being lucky enough to have used, owned or tested every wheel they have produced. The CSW V2 is by far the best product they have ever brought to market. I've been PC based sim racing since 2005, before that a console racer with a wheel and pedal set up, so I've used, owned, borrowed, tried or tested nearly every other commercial wheel by the other brands as well on the market.

The initial unboxing, which is in the same classy packaging we have come to expect from Fanatec reveals the familiar cloth bag that has wrapped the CSW rims and base from the past. Once removed the bag reveals what at first looks exactly like the V1, and for all intense and purposes it does look almost identical. The only noticeable difference being the diamond/lazer cut edge. The best thing about that is the wife/girlfriend probably wont notice you have a nice shiny new wheel

I've used the wheel with iRacing, rFactor 2 and AC.

First Use Impressions: Straight out of the box, 30 - 60 mins a car.

Superb, loved it. Set the wheel up to my usual settings, fired up rFactor2 and jumped into the Aussie V8 round Bathurst. What a workout. FFB was epic. Then I fired up Assetto Corsa and into the BM M3 we went. Smiles all round again, wheel felt sublime as I chucked the M3 round the Nurbergring, tucking the nose in and then keeping it all under control as I put the power down. Finally iRacing, Porsche, McClaren, Lotus 79, the MX5, all felt great with it feeling like I'd never been away from sim racing (I broke my hand last year and couldn't race for a while) as I hit my apexes and controlled the car on the edge of traction which was a lot easier than I remembered.

That was the first day I received and used the wheel and the five or so hours I spent driving flew past and it has only got better.

I've spent more time trying different track and car combinations and playing around with the FFB settings. Some of my favourites being the Aussie V8's round Bathurst. That feels like you've been to the gym, leaving you sweating and your forearms pumped as you twist and turn you way down the mountain. The Porsche round Zolder in iRacing had me giggling like a two year old as you go speeding over the ridge into the right hander at the bottom, the car trying to break away at the back as you keep it all under control with subtle, and sometimes not so subtle inputs. The Lotus 79 @ Sebring was just amazing, feels even bumpier than before but in a better way. AC had me smiling like a lottery winner driving the Ferrari round Silverstone. The wheel feels so rewarding, with it being very natural the way the FFB is transmitted with more detail than I've felt with any other wheel, smooth, even under quick transitions with no feeling of cogging and very accurate.

During testing I've cranked the FFB right up, yes it did show clipping in the iRacing meter, but even after about 4-5hours of use it hadn't shown any loss of detail or FFB, if I do the same with the V1 base it's a different story. Same with the power, even after running high FFB for several hours the power stayed consistent, not suffering from any heat fade. I have used both the Formula rim and the BMW GT rim that I have with have with no noticeable difference in FFB that you get with the CSW V1. I've also driven just making very quick left/right steering inputs to see how that would affect it's calibration, again it performed flawlessly with no loss of centre after several laps of some quite serious inputs, repeated several times with different cars and different sims.

All in all the wheel is a fantastic product which has performed extremely well during all of the testing that I've done.

If you have any questions feel free to fire me a PM or post here and I'll try to answer them

Yeah the housing is not really important. It's the best looking wheel currently on the market anyway - so why change it?

It's more about the guts and reading that Fanatec blog there are a lot of changes.

I'm not surprised by what you say. Nice post btw. - cheers.

Have you noticed any differences/improvements on the QR actually?

It would be great if Fanatec just came out with a product without any snags for a change. First the V1 with cheap motors and reliability issues and now the V2 where issues have been addressed but now with availability issues and Thomas' idio** sales policy.

Even though he's expecting supply issues he's rather giving existing customers two wheel bases instead of winning new customers.

As I said there's always a snag with Fanatec gear...

the review sounds great and while I wanted this badly and just had the funds, The lack of being able to order was a huge turn off. I ended up with a different set up because They wont even sell the v1 anymore, and who knows how long I would have had to wait. :(

The point is how big is the differents , Is it  much better than V1 ? Well this is something i guess we dont know yet.

I am the owner of V1 base and i had no problem with it at all.

Is the v2   just stronger is it worth for me to purchase  and sell my hardly used v1 base.   Thing i dont get it and i used to race real racing cars, why do people want such a strong ffb?. You dont have to use such a force to turn the steering wheel in a racing car so i dont get it. 

I am also using V1 pedals and after reading lots of reviews i decided not to upgrade to V2 because i didnt see real benefits from it .

Honestly i was waiting for high end pedals from Fanatec and unless  someone tell me this base is like day and night compare to V1 i will not be buying it.

the review sounds great and while I wanted this badly and just had the funds, The lack of being able to order was a huge turn off. I ended up with a different set up because They wont even sell the v1 anymore, and who knows how long I would have had to wait. :(

you should of jumped on the preorders when the site let you last week!

glad i got my preorder in! can't wait to get it.

After seeing the two video reviews today I don't feel that the new v2 wheel is leap years better then the v1. It may be better but being the consumer the improvements made to the wheel base in my opinion are not enough to persuade me to jump on the bandwagon and buy one.

Saw his reaction to it but no one has really come and said this is way beyond the v1. I have heard it is better and its good to see things moving in the right direction but I just don't see the added value of the wheel from reading the website, watching reviews and reading this review. I get that it's better but it just lacks the appeal of something new and better. Seeing that it doesn't differ itself from the v1 other than the tinted cover and machined polished lip on the face e plate disappoints me a little as I would have liked to see something a bit more updated looking to show its new and better.

i guess having a brushless motor and v1 doesn't have it, doesn't mean anything to you? Plus added cooling and refined pcb plus different belts? it's more than just a window

all they did was improve upon obviously but nopt sure exactly what you want that's different in this price range.  Thrustmaster certainly isn't doing any different

I don't mean to be so negative about this topic but but I still don't think enough was changed for it to be a must have.  If you took a relatively new sim racer and set both the v1 and v2 bases to the most optimal setting and let them have a go on both, I'm willing to bet they may notice a difference but as soon as the price is brought up I'm sure they would have a hard time swinging an extra $150 for the same appearing v2 model.  I appreciate Fanatec always improving and I think of Fanatec as the company to beat with commercial wheels but there isn't enough to make me dump my v1 clubsport base for the new v2 base.  And I like that they are now using a brushless motor and that I think it is what wheels should now have.  I guess if I am able to try one at some point I may change my point of view but when comparing both wheels side by side I simply cant justify shelling out the extra $150.

I will say there universal hub adapter is pretty kick ass, thats the one reason I wanted the CSW base. But I ended up with thrustmaster since theres a lot of community support, I also dont like buying new products until the bugs are worked out, which may or may not be the case with the v2 since its an upgrade from 1 but with anything new you never know

Awesome review.  Thank you very much.  A few things...

How does the CSW V2 compare to the Thrustmaster T500RS in terms of the following categories:

A.  Top speed of the wheel's spin (preferably with the T500 tested at both 60% and 100%)

B.  Overall torque and "power" / resistance feeling

C.  The extremely quick and sharp effects which require extremely quick, sudden reactions from the wheel - twitch, micro FFB

D.  Wheel's acceleration rate from rest to top speed(the rate at which the wheel increases it's speed as it is "told" to go from rest to top speed)

E.  Which one feels more damped (in-game and wheel driver damping set to 0%/off, of course).

I heard many times that the CSW V1 had less torque, but more importantly, slower reaction times and acceleration rates than the T500.  Also the top speed itself (acceleration aside) was also slower than the T500RS.  These were the deal breakers for me, it was pretty sad that the CSW V1 was inferior ti the T500 wheel in all of these EXTREMELY important categories, I therefore purchased the T500. These categories are some of the most important factors when it comes to a force feedback wheel in terms of the pure performance itself.

I (and i'm sure many others) would GREATLY appreciate it if you could answer these questions as much as possible.

Thank you kindly :)