Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad Catz Pro Racing Wheel Review

38 posts in this topic

Why do some guys insist on Darin calling everything out? If Darin paid for the products then yes he could say whatever he wants but he has to keep some sort of relationship with these companies so it's a fine line and he has to be a little careful with what he says.

His review covered the main pros and cons points and we could read between the lines on some of it. Certainly none of us were tempted to rush out and buy it so why the need to slate a product even more?

It just is what it is.......will they sell many at that price? I doubt it....will the price come down eventually?....more than likely.....can it compete with the TX in any department (stock pedal aside that is)... Clearly not!!

What planet are MadCatz on......a very distant one if you ask me!!

I'm not sure what audience they are targeting here.....on one hand you have a very nice looking wheel (IMO), with decent looking pedals which according to Darin function quite well especially with the adjustability, but on the other hand.....it sounds awful with the motorised ffb....which is also quite weak (according to Darin), it's not (as yet) PC compatible, and has a ridiculous price tag on it!!

So it seems to me they're targetting the casual user because no company in their right mind would target the sim user because it would HAVE to be PC ready to do that.....but I'm not sure how many casual racers are gonna spend this kind of money on a wheel!!!

Especially when the XB1 owners out there (me included) have the choice of the Thrustmaster TX!!! Which IS PC ready, and has a multitude of wheel rims already compatible with it, along with shifters and pedals etc etc!!!

Anyway.....I have no intention of buying one (at that price anyway) until it's stood the test of time for reliability, and until it becomes PC compatible AND the price is vastly reduced!!!......oh I all ready said that didn't i!!!!

One of my concerns about a wheel like this is for the first time sim racer.

Someone that doesn't know any better and wants to get into sim racing might buy this wheel on a impulse.

Once they get it and see how bad this thing is, they might come to the conclusion that ALL sim racing hardware is junk and a total rip off due to the price vs performance of the MadCat wheel.

This thing at $400.00 is in the price range of some pretty decent wheels out there, thus giving the impression of "you get what you pay for", with this wheel, this is not the case, this wheel should be in the $150 to $250 range, asking more than that for this thing is ludicrous and is not helping potential new sim racers in the least.

I hope potential new sim racers do their research before buying their first wheel.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

I hope potential new sim racers do their research before buying their first wheel.

Take care

If I were spending $400 on a wheel I'd certainly be doing my research beforehand!!!! No matter how new I was to the hobby!!

But I agree......it would be a very costly mistake!

people have no idea what a belt driven vs gears wheel even means unless they are like us. that's my point. A head to head video wouldn't be a bad idea...

Darin have enough bussy schedule to make reviews ...every person after watching reviews will make his mind. Noone can understand what is belt vs geardriven before testing personal both wheels. And honestly Mad Catz wheel dont need another huge humiliation. We saw enough! Sorry that I dont share your entusiasm,bud - nothing personal!

Cheers

One of my concerns about a wheel like this is for the first time sim racer.

Someone that doesn't know any better and wants to get into sim racing might buy this wheel on a impulse.

Once they get it and see how bad this thing is, they might come to the conclusion that ALL sim racing hardware is junk and a total rip off due to the price vs performance of the MadCat wheel.

This thing at $400.00 is in the price range of some pretty decent wheels out there, thus giving the impression of "you get what you pay for", with this wheel, this is not the case, this wheel should be in the $150 to $250 range, asking more than that for this thing is ludicrous and is not helping potential new sim racers in the least.

Take care

Because of that we need to have section that we publish CRAP, new guys before search and explore all forum content will be aware meantime to do not buy - this. I can bet that not even one of this wheels will live enough to worn its suede;)

Why do some guys insist on Darin calling everything out? If Darin paid for the products then yes he could say whatever he wants but he has to keep some sort of relationship with these companies so it's a fine line and he has to be a little careful with what he says.

His review covered the main pros and cons points and we could read between the lines on some of it. Certainly none of us were tempted to rush out and buy it so why the need to slate a product even more?

You are right , Darin show / said enough. There is a line that no need to be crossed.

But I hope you dont mind that we discuss and bash the wheel.Sorry ,but this is a real crap!

As long as you guys keep it civil, you can say what you want. Seems my review conveyed the message I had hoped while staying professional. Im glad you guys see it that way. 

I had high hopes for this wheel too and like I mentioned at the end, maybe with some firmware updates, my opinion will change. It's not a bad wheel, just for $400 I would personally go for a TX with a set of T3PA pedals.

I know some have had issues with TX, but I haven't and have put many miles on the ones I have here. No one wants to get a wheel that's DOA..If you do.. send it back for a new one. I know there were some lemons in that first production run for TM, but it seems they have worked through those issues and I know they will honor your warranty. 

I think what companies need to realize is that yes this is a niche market and yes those of us who buy these types of products typically have disposable income. But what I've realized over the last few years is that we are much more willing to pay more for a higher quality product.  Some of the high end hardware that's being made today has astonishing build quality and what might have been acceptable from Logitech, Thrustmaster and Mad Catz some years back just won't cut it today in comparison.

Fixed...I can be a miser at times. That said, even at 250 I might not like something like this because the small rim size. Don't know why MC didn't go for 11 or 12 inches. D shaped rims also don't appeal to me as much...they just seem odd, probably because I've never seen a real-life one in person.

HA! I'm with ya man. I didn't even pay $399 for my T500RS and I still felt like I was insane. Of course, now it's all part of a rig that probably has set me back 5 times that... :lol:

The funny thing is, the MCZ rim is the same size as the GTE and TX rims, wrapped in suede, has dual paddles and (IMO) looks great, it's just hooked to a base that doesn't do the job. That's a shame, because I feel like MCZ was on the right PATH, they just didn't make it happen yet still released an inferior product at a high-ish price point. 

As for Darin's review, c'mon, he said what needed to be said. He let you see and hear the wheel. He even told you he doesn't recommend it. SO... if you didn't walk away knowing if you wanted one or not, that's YOUR issue.

On 10.08.2014 at 7:42 PM, Darin Gangi said:

Presenting our full review of the Mad Catz Pro Racing Force Feedback wheel and pedal set for the XBox One. 

I put this new wheel and pedal set by Mad Catz through it's paces and lets you know his opinion and then discusses the pros and cons..

All testing of this wheel took place using Forza Motorsport 5. 

Some comments on You Tube said I was "too soft" on this wheel. If you can watch the whole thing, please let me know if you feel the same way. 

A real comparison would help people who need to decide which wheel to buy.