Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad Catz Pro Racing Wheel Review

38 posts in this topic

http://youtu.be/5kyHwH5zCOk

Presenting our full review of the Mad Catz Pro Racing Force Feedback wheel and pedal set for the XBox One. 

I put this new wheel and pedal set by Mad Catz through it's paces and lets you know his opinion and then discusses the pros and cons..

All testing of this wheel took place using Forza Motorsport 5. 

Some comments on You Tube said I was "too soft" on this wheel. If you can watch the whole thing, please let me know if you feel the same way. 

Same here. I heard people hoping for a review honest and straight forward like for the old Mad Catz wheel.

It really sounds like they asked you to be nice and not to compare it to the TX.... (in particular as you mentioned right at the beginning you will not do a conclusion this time)

A real comparison would help people who need to decide which wheel to buy.

And you missed some parts;) First, why no further comment on the mounting clamps? Not everyone has got a rig (and they who do, will not buy this wheel:D).

The Thrustmaster clamp works like charm. In the review we don't even see how the clamps work. And I need to think of the teaser video where they mounted the wheel with additional tape to the table...

Next, the noise!! No word on this rattling gear noise... funny scene: the box in front of you, with written something like "Ultra Quiet"; next scene: you turn the wheel und load and it goes Rattatattatttattatta :D (I must admit the stock fan on the TX is super noisy, too).

Overall, a real conclusion is be what potential buyers helps. In this case a clear statement like "do not buy this wheel unless it goes on sale for 150€/200$" would be nice.

I have to agree with you being way too kind but something you said in there that gave a pretty good hint this thing is absolute crap is mentioning a DFGT and choosing it over the Madcats. A DFGT is a good wheel and is a $150.00 wheel or cheaper, to me, that didn't say much for the seriously overpriced Madcats. LOL :P

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

PS: Thrustmaster are probably laughing their A$$'es off and expecting a flood of TX orders real soon! LOL

Same here. I heard people hoping for a review honest and straight forward like for the old Mad Catz wheel.

It really sounds like they asked you to be nice and not to compare it to the TX.... (in particular as you mentioned right at the beginning you will not do a conclusion this time)

A real comparison would help people who need to decide which wheel to buy.

And you missed some parts;) First, why no further comment on the mounting clamps? Not everyone has got a rig (and they who do, will not buy this wheel:D).

The Thrustmaster clamp works like charm. In the review we don't even see how the clamps work. And I need to think of the teaser video where they mounted the wheel with additional tape to the table...

Next, the noise!! No word on this rattling gear noise... funny scene: the box in front of you, with written something like "Ultra Quiet"; next scene: you turn the wheel und load and it goes Rattatattatttattatta :D (I must admit the stock fan on the TX is super noisy, too).

Overall, a real conclusion is be what potential buyers helps. In this case a clear statement like "do not buy this wheel unless it goes on sale for 150€/200$" would be nice.

You sure I didn't mention the rattling gear noise ?  http://youtu.be/5kyHwH5zCOk?t=12m23s

I mention it multiple times. I also say that I can't recommend this wheel.. Please don't take offense to this but maybe since English isn't your native language I wasn't clear?

You sure I didn't mention the rattling gear noise ?  http://youtu.be/5kyHwH5zCOk?t=12m23s

I mention it multiple times. I also say that I can't recommend this wheel.. Please don't take offense to this but maybe since English isn't your native language I wasn't clear?

You're right, English is not my native;) And I don't take it as offence!

But you are referring to the "smoothness" compared to a belt-driven wheel; the edgy feeling it gives. I was referring to the incredible noise (not the feeling) these gears make. I noticed it already on another video on youtube. For someone who's not aware of the mechanics inside a wheel and the differences between gears and a belt, it rather sounds if something is broken ;) Maybe I wasn't that clear... Sorry

To be honest, once the Mad Catz and the TX had been out for preorder, I selected the Mad Catz as it looks better than the TX. Once they delayed the availability to mid of the year, I switched to the TX. After your review, and I know your reviews so I can interpret how and why you say something quite well, I'm even happier than before I've chosen the TX!

Let me say it like this: it's great and very diplomatic review! And who pays attention will get the right conclusion!

Hmmm..someone said all this before! Lol. Must be the only one who was stupid enough to buy this wheel, although there are very few options. I am getting used to it and it could be worse...I don't think he is being too soft on it either. I can only compare it to the Logitech g27 on my PC, which I like the feel better...but t have little to compare it to. Not that this is cheap, but I consider it entry level and it serves it's purpose. I had shut off the FFB and didn't put it on again and that makes the wheel feel Awful..totally looseness as I had described. Withe FFB it isn't too bad. Darin is pretty much spot on..again..for its price point. Sometimes people get mad at a product for not being better than it could be, so a reviewer, like Darin, is only worth his salt if he is unbiased.

Oh yes..I shut Vibration off in the forza control panel and it feels much better to me than having both FFB and vibration on..I can feel the difference ..I think lol..with vibration off ingame.

The setup needs to be able to map one of the lower paddles to act as a clutch. Using the A button for a clutch sucks...

Also like Darin said.. For $249 it would be well worth it...

And to finish..still waiting to hear from customer support..all I have heard is...is my request all done with? Lol..err..no I still need my questions answered...

You guys in the states have two words : Holly Crap!:) LoL

I am not happy that I was right that this is absolutely garbage.More options on the market is better.But his guys mimic a wheel. And this off center problem is radicilous!

Nice review Darin and please dont waste time for video vs TX - nothing to compare there.

Hmmm..someone said all this before! Lol. Must be the only one who was stupid enough to buy this wheel, although there are very few options. I am getting used to it and it could be worse...I don't think he is being too soft on it either. I can only compare it to the Logitech g27 on my PC, which I like the feel better...but t have little to compare it to. Not that this is cheap, but I consider it entry level and it serves it's purpose. I had shut off the FFB and didn't put it on again and that makes the wheel feel Awful..totally looseness as I had described. Withe FFB it isn't too bad. Darin is pretty much spot on..again..for its price point. Sometimes people get mad at a product for not being better than it could be, so a reviewer, like Darin, is only worth his salt if he is unbiased.

Oh yes..I shut Vibration off in the forza control panel and it feels much better to me than having both FFB and vibration on..I can feel the difference ..I think lol..with vibration off ingame.

The setup needs to be able to map one of the lower paddles to act as a clutch. Using the A button for a clutch sucks...

And to finish..still waiting to hear from customer support..all I have heard is...is my request all done with? Lol..err..no I still need my questions answered...

Dont blame yourself for this buy! LoL Noone can be prepared in 2014 that brand new product with Pro in the name and cost 400$ will be such a joke.

Isn't it under warranty? Why not just return it, get your money back, and buy a different wheel? 400 dollars shouldn't feel entry level nor be gear driven for that matter.

Is the TM wheel that much better? I am getting used to this one and a lot of the reviews I read on the TM didn't make me want to run out and buy that one either.. I am not opposed to buying another one. Eventually a really good one will come out for the xbox hopefully. Even with its flaws it is more enjoyable using it than the controller.

Nice review Darin and please dont waste time for video vs TX - nothing to compare there.

There is alot to compare!  So the uninformed xbox non hardcore racing person(but wants a wheel for the xbox) who doesn't  know much about the tx, who happen to stumble across youtube looking for madcatz, discovers that the TX man handles it instead of spending that money on that madcrapz.  They become more informed and purchase a tx instead, thus saving them from the plastic grindy over priced wheel 

Is the TM wheel that much better? I am getting used to this one and a lot of the reviews I read on the TM didn't make me want to run out and buy that one either.. I am not opposed to buying another one. Eventually a really good one will come out for the xbox hopefully. Even with its flaws it is more enjoyable using it than the controller.

I can't speak for anyone since I own neither but from just looking at the features, the belt vs gear drive, etc...it seems pretty clear to me that if they were the exact same price I would go for the TM. Also consider the long term wheel support on this generation of consoles seems to be favouring TM, which is even more incentive to go the other direction if you have a choice between only MC and TM.

Yep, sounds like the MCZ is overpriced by at least $200, they'd be better off stripping the fancy plastic bits and courting that entry level wheel buyer who thinks $400 is just insane. Too bad too, because it's a very legit looking unit!

I found you a little soft on this wheel too Darin. I was really hoping this wheel was going to be good as I had a TX last year which died after 3 days of use. The fact that you kept comparing this wheel to the dfgt and that its not as good is an absolute joke. A Dfgt in Aus is around $100.00, The Tx can be bought from Pagnian Imports for $499.00 on sale and the Madcatz wheel is $699.00 on sale from gamesmen(down from $749.00). I know we are limited with what we can use on Xboxone but after being burnt by the TX  already and this new wheel looking terrible Im inclined to skip any xboxone racing games and stick to using my T500 on Pc and ps4.

Personally....(and I'm not kissing ass here) I thought it was a fair and decent review.

And like Darin said, it's about professionalism in reviewing these wheels.....if I was in the market right now whether to buy a TX or Pro Racing wheel,would this video have helped me make a decision.....OH YES!!!!

All I'll say is that I'm happy I didn't wait.....I think I have the better wheel!!

Especially at the price.....and especially as the TX units are now dropping in price slightly. Although to be fair to Madcatz, their stock pedals look far better than the stock TX pedals.....so I'm guessing the price has to be reflected in that issue alone....luckily I got my hands on some T500 pedals pretty much from go.....but the again, think about what I've had to spend to get a decent all round wheel setup!!! Not forgetting forking out for the F1 rim (or GTE rim depending on your taste).

If you tot all that up.....I've spent a lot of money on top of the original TX price to get where I am now!!

So all in all....I think Darin has done his job well here........because if it were me, I'd know which direction to go in right now if I was on the fence!!

Oh and the grinding FFB noise.....hmmmmmm, very similar to the 360 ffb wheel then I guess,which was pretty much the same!! And which were notorious for breaking in the 360 wheel, I had a couple of 360 madcatz ffb wheels which did that, so could this be another issue In the future??? If you were too heavy handed on the 360 wheel you could pretty much guarantee it would break!!,

Time will tell I guess!!

There is alot to compare!  So the uninformed xbox non hardcore racing person(but wants a wheel for the xbox) who doesn't  know much about the tx, who happen to stumble across youtube looking for madcatz, discovers that the TX man handles it instead of spending that money on that madcrapz.  They become more informed and purchase a tx instead, thus saving them from the plastic grindy over priced wheel 

To be informed is enough to watch the review...good belt driven wheel nothing to compare to crappy gear driven... they are not in same league! Future buyers after watching reviews like this will make clear decission I believe.Both reviews for both wheels are made. Nothing more can be done.

Yep, sounds like the MCZ is overpriced by at least $200, they'd be better off stripping the fancy plastic bits and courting Claykeedee who thinks $400 is just insane. Too bad too, because it's a very legit looking unit!

Fixed...I can be a miser at times. That said, even at 250 I might not like something like this because the small rim size. Don't know why MC didn't go for 11 or 12 inches. D shaped rims also don't appeal to me as much...they just seem odd, probably because I've never seen a real-life one in person.

@krassi If there was a new wheel shoot out what wheels would you want to see compared? Just curious.

Personally....(and I'm not kissing ass here) I thought it was a fair and decent review.

And like Darin said, it's about professionalism in reviewing these wheels.....if I was in the market right now whether to buy a TX or Pro Racing wheel,would this video have helped me make a decision.....OH YES!!!!

All I'll say is that I'm happy I didn't wait.....I think I have the better wheel!!

Especially at the price.....and especially as the TX units are now dropping in price slightly. Although to be fair to Madcatz, their stock pedals look far better than the stock TX pedals.....so I'm guessing the price has to be reflected in that issue alone....luckily I got my hands on some T500 pedals pretty much from go.....but the again, think about what I've had to spend to get a decent all round wheel setup!!! Not forgetting forking out for the F1 rim (or GTE rim depending on your taste).

If you tot all that up.....I've spent a lot of money on top of the original TX price to get where I am now!!

So all in all....I think Darin has done his job well here........because if it were me, I'd know which direction to go in right now if I was on the fence!!

Oh and the grinding FFB noise.....hmmmmmm, very similar to the 360 ffb wheel then I guess,which was pretty much the same!! And which were notorious for breaking in the 360 wheel, I had a couple of 360 madcatz ffb wheels which did that, so could this be another issue In the future??? If you were too heavy handed on the 360 wheel you could pretty much guarantee it would break!!,

Time will tell I guess!!

Yes the grinding noise;) My friend has this 360 wheel and I remember this grinding noise and feel. This is same shit. Mad Catz delayed this wheel for more than 6 months from first release date and I thought was for good, but as we see - same shit different day!

Fixed...I can be a miser at times. That said, even at 250 I might not like something like this because the small rim size. Don't know why MC didn't go for 11 or 12 inches. D shaped rims also don't appeal to me as much...they just seem odd, probably because I've never seen a real-life one in person.

The real question is not the price ( I give t o this wheel 100$ price) The question is how many of us believe that this wheel will last 1-2 years in their hands?;)

Just watched the review right through... I found that your comments came across as honest and informative.

It looks like they have come up with some interesting ideas, some of which work and some that don't.

The grinding and lack of PC connection are the big negatives (excluding the price, which is Madness).

I'm not sure how many they will sell... many of my friends find the XB1 pad perfectly ok for use on Forza 5 so for a wheel to tempt them it would have to be much cheaper.

Final thought... Although the Leather looks and is sure to be lovely, it must be a major factor in their pricing.  I seriously question them using this as standard.  They should have had a cheaper wheel included and offered a leather covered one as an option.  This would probably bring the price down significantly.

I dont think they need to cut anything,because the wheel will become ugly garbage from garbage:) They need to give a reasonable price , not to cut from the wheel. Imagine to cut from internals too. They just make shot with higher price to make money if people jump to buy this wheel. Same was withtheir 360 wheel - the price was higher than Fanatec 360 wheels and the wheel was horrible.

With this quality and lack of H Shifter and clutch this must be the budget XB1 wheel.

When pictures from inside leak from somerwhere we will have more to discuss:)

To be informed is enough to watch the review...good belt driven wheel nothing to compare to crappy gear driven... they are not in same league! Future buyers after watching reviews like this will make clear decission I believe.Both reviews for both wheels are made. Nothing more can be don

people have no idea what a belt driven vs gears wheel even means unless they are like us. that's my point. A head to head video wouldn't be a bad idea...