Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2010 initial impressions

14 posts in this topic

I have been waiting for this game to come out now for months. I had it pre-ordered via steam and installed last week. Today after work I did some testing in it and here are my thoughts.

Graphics - Everyone has been raving about the graphics for a while now. The game is gorgeous however it is not without faults. The tracks while very well done seem a bit washed out. iRacing has always felt almost "candy-coated" from a graphics standpoint but it makes everything standout that you need. This game however is on the opposite side of the spectrum. Along with what seems to be a slight frame-rate issue that seems to add a lag to input. It makes it harder to judge turn in and breaking points. On the positive side it features the nicest cars I have ever seen and the presentation is amazing.

Physics - Okay folks I don't know what you were thinking when you first heard about this game but here are the hard facts. It is a codemasters title, not a true sim and wasn't designed to be. The cars handle like they were being guided by the hand of God a lot of the time. For those of us that have played F1 2007 for PS3 would feel somewhat at home here. I do however believe that F1 2007 was less forgiving especially with the curbing and bumps. I also feel a bit of lag in the shifting. It is quite annoying but you get used to it after a few laps. I am not sure if this is a pure representation of any present lag in the shifting in an F1 car but I would tend to think not. The sand and grass are no obstacle to a driver driving without aids even with the lowest downforce. The gravel however is another story. Bravo to the boys at codemasters for doing the gravel right (iRacing this is where you can learn a thing or two). I have yet to crash seriously enough to be able to write anything about damage modeling but I would imagine it to be 90% cosmetic.

Fun Factor - This is where codemasters always succeeds and once again its a winner. The sheer immersion adds a depth that no F1 game has ever presented. When I first left the garage at Bahrain and saw the crew scurry to put the wheels on the car, pull the front jack, move the monitor, and wave me out when pit lane was clear was like the first time I heard the Beatles (Superbad reference :P). The driving against A.I. at its highest level sadly is the only down point. They don't seem to be very talented and after only a few laps I was faster than most of my competition. The one thing done quite well is the overtaking battles. They make it very much like a duel and you need to concentrate while you make your move and patience is a virtue. Overall this is my favorite release from Codemasters.

It was relieving to see that the pendulum effect from Grid was nowhere present. Alongside with Dirt 2 F1 2010 stands out as one of the best racing "Games" I have ever played. I am and always will be an iRacer first but to you iRacing snobs out there that want hate on this game for being a game and not a sim should just stay away from it. If you want a fun racing game or are a fan of F1 in general it's 40 bucks and steam and to me a no brainer.

My G27 settings

FFB

Environmental - 50%

FFB Strength - 100%

Wheel Weight - 10%

Wheel Settings

Steering Deadzone - 0

Steering Saturation - 90

Steering Linearity - 50

Throttle Deadzone - 0

Throttle Saturation - 100

Break Deadzone - 0

Break Saturation - 100

Logitech settings

Overall Effects 100%

Spring Effect 0%

Damper Effect 0%

enable centering spreing - checked and 0%

Report combined pedals - unchecked

360 degrees of rotation

allow game to change settings - checked

Great review. Thanks very much. It's enormously helpful to have the comparison with iracing. Personally, I'm relieved It's more forgiving. The lag you speak of however, sounds less appealing. Once again many thanks.

Regards,

Paul

So do you think it's better than F1CE on ps3? I can see from the trailers it is graphically, but I am debating on whether I really want another f1 game, since from the gameplay vids I have been seeing it looks quite similar to the older ps3 game, in terms of how the physics work. It kind of looks like it might have a disconnected feel to it.

My rfactor league is taking a break so I am deciding between F12010 and Reach to pass the time.

First off the lag is occasional and thankfully It has yet to mess up a lap time or worse. It makes me wonder what it is that causes it. If it is a framerate issue, my wheel, or just a bug that never got fixed. As for the comparison to F1CE. F1CE did some things better than F1 2010 and F1 2010 does other things better. Personally I loved the Race Car evolution mode from F1CE. It really helped me find a setup that I liked. F1 2010 has your engineer but unlike games like SBK X where the engineer literally works with you. He just has a bunch of setups ranging from wet high downforce all the way through to dry low downforce. You can always tweak your setup within the game as well individually as well as choosing your tire compound. As far as other differences, both games featured cool career modes but F1 2010 has a unique feel. "Be the driver and live the life" is a neat concept and it plays out well but you cant help but smell the cheese from a mile away. Saying all this I have been playing the game almost straight through from 5 this afternoon to the time of this reply at 4am lol. It is a fun game and I'm sure almost everyone can find something to enjoy about it.

Side not to the review I posted - I didn't talk much about the sounds. They can be quite tinny through my plantronics headset. In surround sound though it sounds pretty damn good. Id even give it a thumbs up over iRacing but honestly now that's not saying much. It doesn't sound quite as good as WCP F1 2009 (rFactor) did to my ears. But the actual circuit sound is fantastic. Bahrain on the back half hearing the cars roaring through the front stretch on the other side sounds pretty cool through my headset. And one last note I absolutely love weather model. It really makes it feel alive and it makes the sessions more interesting.

Im definitely happy with the game so far. The graphics are quite good though not maybe as good as i thought they would be. Still, they are the best racing graphics available. The cars feel pretty good. Yes the game is more forgiving than others but you can definitely push too hard and spin. You can run your tires off and the setup does make a difference in how the car handles. If you miss the braking point you'll go slightly wide and your lap won't be as good as it could be. So, in that sense i call it a sim. The damage model is a bit weak and definitely allows for more contact than a real open wheel car would, but im not that bothered by it. The AI seems to be plenty fast for me as of now, they block when you try to pass, they will pass you back, and they make mistakes. Its the best AI ive seen in any racing game. Id say its a must buy for sure, especially for $35. The immersion and cool cars/tracks make it worth that. Plus, there are decent options for online play in custom game which could lead to some close/good racing if you can get a good group of simracers who don't want to plow over everyone in turn 1.

I like it.... A LOT

but then again, since the official website is formula1-game.com, and it's called F1 2010 THE GAME,

and not

F1 2010 the 150% true to life simulator to end all other simulators

I had no delusions about what it would or would not be!

I also have zero lag problems, zero frame rate problems, and zero sound problems in 8+ hours of playing so far....I run everything maxed....perhaps you should look into the hardware you're running on before blaming the game for framerate and lag issues?

I played this game for about 2 hours and my initial impressions are:

Graphics: Pretty Good but can be improved. Once they release the DX 11 version patch the graphics will be top notch.

Sound: Good enough. It can be improved though mainly the in car sounds when driving around. I cant put a finger on it but I feel there is something lacking.

Ai: Very good when I am trying to pass them but otherwise they are not a challenge even in legend mode.

Environment: Excellent. You really feel the atmosphere of a formula 1 weekend. The career mode is good but it can be improved upon immensely.

Physics: Not good enough. When I saw videos of people driving it and the comments from those people I thought it was going to be a challenge but when I drove it I was quite disappointed because the physics feel more like an arcade game to me. I wasn't expecting rFactor physics or iRacing physics but honestly they should have made it a little bit better. Compared to rFactor which if I give 10 to physics F1 2010 would get about 6. As an example I would like to mention that I drove the Mercedes (my first few laps after getting the game) in the wet in monza, the AI was set to legend; I was still able to get pole position by over 1 second even though I was clearly making mistakes in taking the two lesmos and I was about only 10th in the second sector but I was so quick compared to the AI in the first and last sectors I took pole.

Overall: A good try by codemasters to bring a F1 game for the PC and I would give it about 7 out of 10. It is a very good game for people who are trying to get into sim racing, the learning curve is much easier compared to rFactor and iRacing.

Codemasters have the license for another 2 years hopefully they can improve the game even more especially the career, interaction with the reporters and definitely the physics.

The ai is too easy. Ive qualified 4th in the lotus in my first race there with expert mode. Weird thing is, they run 1:58's in practice and im running 2:00's with heavy fuel and prime tires. But in qual, they only sped up somewhat, running a 1:56.4 for pole, while i got down to a 1:57.5. Im might be faster now on full fuel but it seems like they are just a bit slow in qual. Even still they are still too slow in race trim as well.

I don't mind the physics. They aren't great, but they are challenging enough. Sure its overly forgiving and the spins you do have tend to be a bit snappy. You can save spins sometimes and other times it feels like it autosaves it for you. But i still enjoy it. If the ai was faster and they fix a few bugs the game should be pretty fun to play through campaign. Then hopefully through custom online games there can be some good online racing.

So far I'm not overly impressed with the sense of speed !

My old SAAB 9/5 gives me a more breathtaking buzz than this game on the PS3.

Don't know if the R&D department in the game will be able to improve on the sense of speed.

I can only hope. :?

I know what you mean. I don't think it's speed in general so much as specifically "acceleration" that's lacking. You don't feel like the car is pulling hard. I like the driver's perspective a lot, and you can tell when you take a hard corner fast at the edge of control, but the car doesn't pull like I would expect---except audibly. Hard thing to show I guess, not many get that right.

Apologies if this has been mentioned in another thread. Some of the lag problems people are having are to do with the the default in game sound options. Turning the sound from "Rapture" to "Hardware" reduced all of the lag for me.

My steering inputs now perfectly match the in game wheel with no delay, and my gear shifts match the in game gear change sounds. It makes quite a difference, I was instantly 2 seconds a lap faster at Bahrain.

For anyopne who may be interested, my wheel settings are as follows:

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel set to 180 degrees

Steering Deadzone 0%

Steering Saturation 100%

Steering Linearity 50%

Data