Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter review

24 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkHU5fIX9DY

Presenting our review of the Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter. This shifter is cross platform compatible with the PC, PS3, PS4 and XBox One. See what I think about it as he tries it with iRacing (PC) Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) and Forza Motorsport 5 (XBox One)

This shifter will be available in August of 2014 and retail for $149.99 / 149.99 €

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkHU5fIX9DY

Presenting our review of the Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter. This shifter is cross platform compatible with the PC, PS3, PS4 and XBox One. See what I think about it as he tries it with iRacing (PC) Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) and Forza Motorsport 5 (XBox One)

This shifter will be available in August of 2014 and retail for $149.99 / 149.99 €

Darin,

In your review you found the throw of the shifter to be too high. To reduce the throw you can buy one of several kinds of short throw plates at http://rightongates.com/models.

I am very happy with the 6+reverse short throw plate I bought and never used the stock one since then. The quality is incredible and  the shifting speed and feeling is much better. 

Just to add Right on Gates also offer a new metal sequential plate which is superb and much better than the plastic version that comes with the shifter.

Basherboards also offer short and long shafts with customized thread sizes

Just to add Right on Gates also offer a new metal sequential plate which is superb and much better than the plastic version that comes with the shifter.

Is it final version? I saw RoG kinda beta version and it was made on the original plastic plate. Can you show this one?

Is it final version? I saw RoG kinda beta version and it was made on the original plastic plate. Can you show this one?

Hey Krassi, it looks like this, I haven't put it on my shifter yet.  Sorry for the crappy laptop webcam shots.

post-17560-0-14008200-1405810361_thumb.p

post-17560-0-63164600-1405810362_thumb.p

post-17560-0-61504000-1405810363_thumb.p

Hey Krassi, it looks like this, I haven't put it on my shifter yet.  Sorry for the crappy laptop webcam shots.

attachicon.gifSeq_Plate_1.png

attachicon.gifSeq_Plate_2.png

attachicon.gifSeq_Plate_3.png

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an ingenious way of making it much easier to change the shifter plates without the use of hex key.  All one needs to do is unscrew the shifter knob.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an ingenious way of making it much easier to change the shifter plates without the use of hex key.  All one needs to do is unscrew the shifter knob and the shifter plate can easily.

I know solution for this and it is even without unscrew the knob!;) The solution is  named - 2nd TH8RS/TH8A shifter;)

we need an actual date this thing is going to come out... it takes any longer and i'll just buy a CSS SQ...

Should be out very soon. CSS SQ is out of stock here in the states :wink:. If you're looking for a PC only shifter, you could get a TH8RS.

You can pre-order the TH8A here and it says will ship on September 1st

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Add-On-Gearbox-Shifter-playstation-4/dp/B00MAXOTB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408205764&sr=8-2&keywords=TH8A+Thrustmaster 

yeah the css been out of stock but i was meaning I would just buy it if th8a takes any longer lol... i saw the preorder up for th8a and already preordered it... my gut tells me to still pick a css sq over it...especially since it's like 100 times easier to switch between sq and h pattern...but i would also need the clamp for css sq for my obutto r3v to mount plus usb adapter....so css sq definitely more expenisve

Hi Darin...  I want to say love your web site and your videos and your reviews on all the Sim Software and hardware...  I came across this Shifter on your review section and watch the video and I was blow away how it was built and the way it works... I thank you for a great review of it and I am planing on getting this item as soon its in Stock when that will be well I hear on some sites its Sept 12 now but thats ok...  This shifter comes with clamp and you remove it easy as well..  I have have Fanatec Wheel base and 2 rims and pedals and was thinking of getting there Shifter later this yr but with this review of this TH8A and better deal then Fanatec and with Fanatec not letting you review there V2 wheel base I feel they kinda drop the ball.. I love Fanatec stuff and way its built but with this TH8A shifter with everything comes with it makes for better shifter and your great review of it has me saying  SOLD !!!!  

Keep up the great reviews and Web Site ok...     See ya on the Track !!!!!

Hi. joined to inform you (and others) that I don't think Basherboards is doing the replacement shafts any more. They are not on his site and when I used the contact form to enquire about them (and the future possibility of a clubsport/other shifter adapter to allow connection directly to Thrustmaster wheels) I got no reply.

It's a shame because I have a TH8A on the way and think I'll likely want to replace the shaft.