Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2010 Sim Enough?

51 posts in this topic

Im a semi-long time sim racer from back in the grand prix 2 days up through the to iracing, etc. My life has turned busier with two kids so ive not renewed my iracing license and haven't put my wheel on my desk in a few months :(. Iracing is awesome but is so good that it takes a good bit of practice time and setup trial and error to be good at it. I just dont have that kind of time as of now.

F1 2010 originally looked to me like an arcade game. I didn't really give it any attention. But, i started watching some videos of it the last few days and am a bit more encouraged that it may have enough "sim" elements to make it fun for me. On top of that it brings some of the singleplayer possibility back in it with a seemingly interesting career mode that could be fun to play through a couple of seasons on if the ai is ok. I really enjoyed some of the old F1 games and this kind of hearkens back to those days of racing against the greats throughout a season. I don't mind that the setups aren't going to be iracing level and no doubt there will be less realism to it than something of that caliber. But im starting to think that it could still be a fun game.

What is everyones opinion on it? Will it be a game you'll get? Do you think it will be too arcade like to please a sim racer?

While I'm not a big fan of F1 racing, I do have F1 2010 on pre order and I do very much like Codemasters, I love Race Driver Grid and Dirt 1 and 2. Codemaster has a way of making their games/borderline-sims have this incredible intensity, the way they can portrait speed, emersion, intensity and white knuckle racing, if F1 2010 is anything like Dirt 2 since I believe it uses the same game engine, then F1 2010 could see intensity others can only dream of. I've played with Rfactor, Simbin titles NFS Shift (I see this game as a Grid wanna be), they are great sims, but nothing in my books even comes close to the intensity of Grid and Dirt 2 for me. So we'll all find out soon since Steam's projected release is Sept 23rd I believe. Time will tell. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

It being a F1 game was enought to get my preorder. I wouldnt care that much about specifics. Anything Codies can add to the genre is a bonus as far as im concerned. From the outset ive always seen it as GRID in a new frock...

The only thing that has genuinely dissapointed me so far is that they've gone with a generic steering wheel for all 12 teams. Maybe they'll sort that out in 2011..

It being a F1 game was enought to get my preorder. I wouldnt care that much about specifics.

I agree. I think people often get too hung up on debating a label rather than simply enjoying these things for whatever they are. Happens a lot with flight sims/games too. One person's idea of what makes a sim isn't always the same as the next guy.

If you really get down to it, there's no such thing as a "real" simulator without the possibility of actual injury for mistakes and chance affecting your actions. You could be the best at a sim racer but not have the nerves for real racing or flight invalidating the whole thing.

Just enjoy what feels right to you and don't sweat justifying it. ;)

NO GAME TO ME IS A COMPLETE SIM UNTIL I CAN REACH THROUGH MY SCREEN AND PUT MY STICKY BOTTOM COFFEE MUG ON MY DASH BOARD OR TOOL BOX.

THE END ..TRUE STORY IN TEXT.

I APPROVE THIS HORRIBLE CAPS MESSAGE. :geek:

First question should be "Is it fun?"

If not than don't play it and find something else. I totally agree with Defcon Won that people just get too hung up on details that they're missing all the fun on what the game was designed for.

Got the download from Steam today.

The answer....at least for me is 'no'. Not even close to sim level.

In fact I rate the GP Microprose series and the last EA F1 title as better than this.

Comparing to Rfactor or NetKar Pro (I'm sure Iracing as well) is not even fair it is so far off.

Perhaps for an Arcade style gamer with Xbox or Playstation the results will be better.

But for PC usage it is a massive dissapointment from all the CM hype and buildup.

My steam game doesnt unlock for another 3 days but i'l say this.

I praised Rfactors F1 mods, and played them endlessly.. Then i downloaded this new hardcore sim "Ferrari virtual academy" and grilled it based on my biased opinion from playing Rfactorm stating ways in which Rfactor was better and more realistic etc. But then i got thinking, to be honest maybe my opinion of Rfactor is too high and perhaps the ferrari sim is closer to the real thing... At the end of the day, what do we know? None of us are driving formula 1 cars around tracks in real life.

After playing ferrari academy (at best i was managing the same as massa's time) i could barely get the Rfactor F1 cars around a track for a good 20 minutes, it was that much different. So i'm gonna go into this with an open mind, it is codemasters and they have never made a complex sim, but i will give it a chance and i am sure i will enjoy it.

One thing i will say though, you cant just go throwing around ideas that because its different to Rfactor that its not a sim, because if the ferrari academy proved anything they proved that when an F1 team makes an F1 sim its nothing like Rfactor at all. Rfactor Pro doesn't count because that is also nothing like Rfactor (the game) or its F1 mods.

Bigbazz.....your right that FVA is a very good sim. And very different from Rfactor.

But equally impressive and good. If FVA was a full tilt sim with all the bells and whistles it would be a really good rival to Rfactor. I suppose NetKar Pro is FVA full scale.

I also had my hands full after playing FVA the first time and then heading back into Rfactor.

But based off your comments I'd say you'll have similar results to F1 2010 that I had.

It's a game not a sim.

Rfactor, Iracing....FVA and other porper sims have ruined it for us hardcore guys I'm afraid.

The bar has been raised so high by these titles and they're subsequent modding communties.

Bigbazz.....your right that FVA is a very good sim. And very different from Rfactor.

But equally impressive and good. If FVA was a full tilt sim with all the bells and whistles it would be a really good rival to Rfactor. I suppose NetKar Pro is FVA full scale.

I also had my hands full after playing FVA the first time and then heading back into Rfactor.

But based off your comments I'd say you'll have similar results to F1 2010 that I had.

It's a game not a sim.

Rfactor, Iracing....FVA and other porper sims have ruined it for us hardcore guys I'm afraid.

The bar has been raised so high by these titles and they're subsequent modding communties.

This does make me sad, as much as i knew it would never be, i did have a sneaky hope that it would be like playing Rfactor or Ferarri academy, but in storymode.. To be honest thats all i wanted, and its something that neither game can give me. Both of them are just driving, where as codemasters have always done a fantastic job of bringing you the other aspects of racing as a sport, as a culture, always had the best graphics, great sounds and made an excellent game to play through. I love the whole roleplay factor, and the story and progression, its what makes many great games what they are and its the one thing that all of the hardcore racing sims are lacking.

If someone could combine the hardcore racing physics, something that is challenging and rewarding (On Rfactor i may spend 2hours in practice sessions learning a track, perfecting lines and tweaking a setup before i start the qualifying, let alone the race itself, and i love every moment of that) with the actual game/story/progression of many of the console games, such as Dirt 2, or Gran Turismo 4, it would be for me, the perfect game.

F1 2010, i await my chance to play it (its already preloaded on my comp, taunting me... yet i have to wait until thursday, bah). I'm sure i will enjoy it, and despite the likelyhood of the annoying menu's system of Dirt2 being there i'm sure i wont have any issues, but perhaps the physics will let me down a little...

So long as it doesnt feel like GRID il be happy, to be honest. Something at the level of Gran Turismo simulation would be more than enough to keep me interested, can i atleast expect that much?

I'm with you. If someone could tie in the story line of F1 with accurate physics such as Rfactor it would be perfect for me. That is kinda what I was hopeing for with F1 2010.

Grand T is much much better. And it's not a sim but it's fun and looks great and sounds awesome.

I hate to be so brutally honost but I'll tell you my opinion.

I have 3 other friends in town who are active sim racers. We all purchased the Steam download and got it yesterday.

All three of us bought into the hype of this game and are now just speechless on how bad it is.

Last night and today we have discussed just how 'snowed' we feel by this title. And how we should have known better. Like you....our hope was that this just maybe could be the answer to an F1 Sim/Game combo that would be near perfect.

No exageration at all. The graphics (even on a high end machine) are nowhere near as vivid or fluid as what we have seen on the videos. All 3 of us with different PC's and setups experienced the same thing. It really does not look even close to what has been advertised. The sound is even worse.

The driving itself is lifeless. No sense of any feedback at all. The steering is laggy and the gear shifts are lifeless.

Believe me....I hate that it's so bad. Or that my expectations where so high. LOL

It's not at all close to what any of us had suspected. I know people will say that how do any of us really know what it's like to drive an F1 car....so how can we judge.

But alot of us have raced shifter karts and club car events. I'd suggest that anyone who has ever even driven a car will feel the dissconnect. It just does not feel, look or sound like you are driving anything at all. There is no feedback or sensory feel at all.

I have to say (and for my local buddies that race as well) this was a complete waste of $35.00.

For a kid with a console it may be wonderful.....and for some I suspect it will be.

But for PC sim racers who might even be looking for a decent compromise between sim and game....keep looking casue this is not it.

Danny can you confirm what steering wheel you're using with this? as i hear different things from everyone, some people have mentioned how amazing the FFB is and how they can feel the car, where as some others have said the oposite.

Seems to be a big difference between the Fanatac/Logitech wheels, in terms of peoples experiences.

Hi Danny,

I have to say that I fear transplanting the intimidating physics of an iracing or equivalent into any racing game with a story would dramatically change the whole nature and balance of the gameplay possibly making it unplayable for many. I think this cuts to the heart of the problem people are wrestling with regarding Sim vs Arcade and all shades in between. One day the dev's will produce a game with ascending levels of difficulty from an arcady feel right up to a 'hard core sim' level. F1 2010 has certainly not achieved that. For lesser mortals like myself however, it feels a fun and challenging blast and probably will do for sometime to come.

Regards,

Paul

Every "hardcore" sim racer has a different experience of F1 2010 judging from posts at the CM forum. Some find it "arcade" - some don't. As with all games there is no option but to judge for yourself.

But I'd suggest judging it over a full race distance with weather on. I'm looking forward to Friday and UK release.

Im using a G25.

I spent some time reading the forums tonight and made a few tweaks which improved the game a bit.

But only a little bit. The graphics and sound are still not as they have appeared on most of the videos which have been released. Albeit those have shown only console graphics as far as I know.

Ive got a couple of local friends who also did there own experimenting tonight and each of us have reached similar findings. It is tweakable to get some minimal improvement. But its just not enough.

The game needs a patch or something to bring up to playable standards. At least on my machine. Which is robust enough to handle every sim on the market with maximum settings (300+ frame rate)

I think the general feedback on it - 24hrs into release is that real sim guys do not like it and pure gamers do.

There is lag in the sound, graphics and controller. And this seems to be more than just random. Quite a few are experincing the same issues.

I desperatly wanted this thing to be good. Thats why I bought it. And Im sure Ill do so with whatever the next attempt at this genere is. Becasue I think it is doable as you have suggested.

To some it up.....one of my buddies called tonight (after spending several hours tweaking F1 2010).

He said he'd had enough 'willing and wishing' it to work. He fired up CTDP 2006 Rfactor mod and was literally blown away. He said that after spening just the last 2 nights on F1 it had apparently numbed him to just how impressive a proper sim is. None of us have ever driven an F1 car. But like he said...it just felt right. The road surface, the sound the physics, the visual.....it was all there.

I wish I could get my money back, I think you're right - we're spoiled with proper sims. This is utter shit. I don't find it hard or engaging at all...

Not to mention playing online is ridiculous, 13 year olds brake checking you constantly.

Back to FVA.

I visit the CM forum often for some obscure psychological reason I can't quite fatham. My impression is of a more even split between those claiming to be expert sim racers. For some reason this game seems to be polarising the community more than any other I have known. Posts that write off F1 as pile of dung do not help to provide an insightful view of the similarities and differences between F1 and the hard core sims. I just wish I had a capable PC so I could judge for myself. The other hope is to wait for Darin and Shaun' s review.

Regards,

Paul

Seafoam.....I did send an email to CM requesting a full refund.

Of course I don't hold any hope I will get it. And who knows....maybe somehow they will do something in the near future with a patch that will at least make it playable.

Perhaps they have crammed just too much stuff into the game. In all the pre release videos so much was talked about. Dynamic strategy, career choices, dealing with the media.....etc. All that is fine and dandy but it seems pretty evident that they overlooked the very first thing required to make all this extra stuff enjoyable.

And thats the plain and simple basics - graphics, sound and controller issues.

To get any reasonable frame rates alot of us have had to run things on the lowest settings.

There's alot of skuttle about fixes by choosing the right sound driver, deleting the replay files....etc.

All that helped a bit but not enough to make any real difference. If the game looked as stunning as I had been led to believe it would maybe I would be more forgiving. But it just doesn't. At least not on my PC.....and obviously many many others. It's just full of holes (graphic, sound and controller lag) in the basic fundamental driving experience of it. And that is what should have been priority number one.

I have a BKA 300 Buttkicker that provides more feedback than any other aspect of this game. If I did not have that I would have absolutley no sensory feedback. It's like driving on air without it turned on.

I just got the game on Steam last night and have not had much time driving at all. I can say this however about the comments above regarding console graphics vs. PC: the graphics on the PC were much better in my setup than the 360 version I also have. I'm using a Mitsubishi 60" DLP TV, 1080p, and on the 360, the jaggies (or lack of AA) is distracting as close as I sit. Edges are MUCH smoother and overall resolution improved on the PC version. I don't even know what AA/AF settings I was using- I have not tweaked graphics yet. I was also thrilled to see it supported TrackIR out of the box, and Nvidia 3D vision even worked though there is not a profile in the drivers I have yet. Again, untweaked, 3D looked good at stock settings, better than Dirt2 which renders a lot of object incorrectly unless they are disabled.

I visit the CM forum often for some obscure psychological reason I can't quite fatham. My impression is of a more even split between those claiming to be expert sim racers. For some reason this game seems to be polarising the community more than any other I have known. Posts that write off F1 as pile of dung do not help to provide an insightful view of the similarities and differences between F1 and the hard core sims. I just wish I had a capable PC so I could judge for myself. The other hope is to wait for Darin and Shaun' s review.

Regards,

Paul

Ok, look at it this way - compared to FVA this feels like driving an old caddy. The force feedback is horrible, there is NO sense of speed. You can pretty much jam the brakes to the floor and not lock them up - most of the game is all gas or all brake. If in the off chance you do lose rear end grip you have no sensation of it so by the time the rear end has moved around it's too late.

Do yourself a favor and get FVA until they patch this garbage.

A variable FOV mod for F1 2010. There is also a new TV view.

FOV mod

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads ... ment-3195/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byz8QS6M9os&feature=player_embedded#!

TV view mod

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads ... cams-3190/

I can not comment since I still have not played the game yet even tho it's been in my STEAM folder for a few days. I am still waiting for the tri display mount to come to finish setting up the Obutto. Waiting, waiting and more waiting :roll: .

A double post since not sure where it shld be placed.

I finally got this today, and here are my first impressions.

Graphics : Looks very good but doesnt run very smooth, i get fairly low FPS on a mid range pc, regardless of what settings i am using, lowest settings isnt much smoother than ultra, and DIRT 2 using the same engine is far smoother for me, and generally looks better for it.

FVA has great graphics, the car detail surpasses that of F1 2010, yet it runs perfectly smooth on my computer.

Physics : It looks like they had something decent in the workings but didnt have time to finish it. The biggest downfall for me is the Force Feedback, you cannot feel the tires/brakes or the throttle through the wheel, infact you cant really feel much at all through the wheel and for that reason i find this game more difficult to drive than the sims i play, simply because i can feel where i am with the car a bit more.

There is no understeer modelled in the game, other than when you lock the brakes, an effect which is also really mild, you cannot wheel spin the car, other than for maybe a fraction of a second, and it is only a visible effect, it cant be felt through the wheel. Oversteer mechanics seem triggered rather than a natural feeling, perhaps it feels that way due to the lack of FFB effects.

There is quite a big lack of communication between the brakes and tires in general, which makes the car feel detatched from itself, like all the parts arent connected together properly.

So far all i have done is time trial, ive smashed the car into walls a few times, spun out a few times but in general the car physics are very very tame, its just that the lack of FFB makes it hard to feel the car in order to push it. With all things said its a big big improvement over GRID, and it does seem fun, i look forward to racing a season.

This game needs these things to fix it.

1. Patch/Drivers to sort out the low FPS, some people with monster PC's are having issues.

2. Somebody to create a RealFeel type FFB mod (or codemasters to fix it) to help bring some feeling to the cars, Dirt 2 had better FFB than this, where as this feels a lot more like GRID in its FFB.

3. (Totally unrealistic but i can dream) Someone can plant the FVA physics engine and FFB into F1 2010, to create the greatest F1 Game/Sim of all time.