Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downloaded Dirt3 but is not working

30 posts in this topic

It could be a games for windows live problem.

I know when I tried to install DiRT 3 in Windows 8.1 I had heaps of trouble.

I would try doing as Mike suggested first and if that doesn't work then try unistalling and reinstalling games for windows live.

Not sure if the issue was ever fixed, but this is definitely the problem. Probably need to google search for the specific answer. But Steam will just hang at launch unless you have a proper Live file installed. Even by GFWL standards, Dirt 3 is half-baked. You basically need this file to be logged into Live before the program will properly authenticate and launch. It's only an issue the first time the game is installed on your computer, but it's absolute garbage even by GFWl standards.

I've got Dirt 3 Working on Windows 8.1

Below is how I got it working (Took ages to work it out)

1. Need to install the game with all options (normal for Steam Installer)

2. Uninstall Games for Windows Live (if installed already)

3. Download & install Games for Windows Marketplace Client from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=201134 (must be from here, I've got a back up of the file, it then goes online to fetch more installation files)

4. Now you should be able to run the game.

I had an issue when it would not go into full screen without being in a window, to fix this do the following:

Go to
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml
Look for the setting about full screen, this was on false, change it to true.

I've got Dirt 3 Working on Windows 8.1

Below is how I got it working (Took ages to work it out)

1. Need to install the game with all options (normal for Steam Installer)

2. Uninstall Games for Windows Live (if installed already)

3. Download & install Games for Windows Marketplace Client from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=201134 (must be from here, I've got a back up of the file, it then goes online to fetch more installation files)

4. Now you should be able to run the game.

I had an issue when it would not go into full screen without being in a window, to fix this do the following:

Go to

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml

Look for the setting about full screen, this was on false, change it to true.

Thanks for the instructions. 

I have a brand new PC with OS 8.1 but can't get Dirt 3  to work;

Tried exact the steps of savagess solution; but when I start Dirt 3; The Dirt3 logo appears, The screen goes black,

the Dirt3 logo comes up again for a moment and after that I get a text saying the Dirt3 exe stopped working...

and that there is a problem...  I have to close the application to go back to my desktop...

Anyone knows what to do?