Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downloaded Dirt3 but is not working

30 posts in this topic

It could be a games for windows live problem.

I know when I tried to install DiRT 3 in Windows 8.1 I had heaps of trouble.

I would try doing as Mike suggested first and if that doesn't work then try unistalling and reinstalling games for windows live.

Yes, I do have Windows 8.1.  I bought my game copy through GameFly.  Do I still have to go to Steam to open it?  I got WRC4 through Steam which is working but with one hickup... is only showing the game on my center monitor.  Not on all three.  :-|  But at least i can play it.

Downloaded my first three games and still have some kind of problem with each.  So far I'm very dissapointed with PC gaming. 

Thanks for the posts guys.  What screen shot you want?  I think I can explain it.  After the game was downloaded, I have a Dirt3 icon in my desktop and when I click on it... nothing happens.  The computer buffers for few second and that is it.  It ends and no game is played or started.  When I go into GameFly icon and click on it, it takes me to the window where it says I downloaded the game.  The Dirt3 icon also shows up there.  It also has tabs that say "Play", "Repairs" and "Key".  When I click on "Play", the computer thinks or buffers for 5 seconds and then quits.  When I click on "repairs", it goes through the downloaded files and check for incomplete downloaded files before it fixes it... in my case from the beginning it says "all files downloaded properly".  So it has to be something with my windows 8.  I'm just guessing.

I have not downloaded another windows such as 7.

Some feedback to everyone that ried to help...

After several e-mails with GameFly support reps, they even got into my PC files and finally refunded my money.  It took a couple of weeks but they came through with the refund since they never got the game to work.  Evidently there are problems between the game and some Windows 8.1.

Games for Windows Live suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. It makes Dirt 3 stutter randomly. Very annoying. It wants me to do an update now tho, I just say no and it saves my progress without letting me play online and no stutter. Dirt Showdown seems to have no such issues, but is also much less a rally game than Dirt 3 is.

Dirt 3 is good!! But the Games for Windows Live client that the game is saddled with sucks.

I had it in my xbox360 hence why I purchase it again when I converted into a PC gamer.  Too bad it doesn't work in my PC.  On the other hand, I purcahse WRC4 and is working great!  Still my old Dirt3 xbox had better graphics tho.  Do you like Rally?  anmy other game or Sim that you recommend?

Dirt 3 is great. I play it a lot on windows 8.1 and I never have any performance issues. GFWL has never caused me any stutters, it was just a pain to get GFWL installed but after that it was sweet. Codemasters is working on bringing out a version without GFWL soon because GFWL is shutting down soon. I would try it again then because it is a fun rally game to play.

I really like rally games, I used to do rallies on my old Hillman Avenger. I have my whole rig set up for rally with hydraulic handbrake, sequential shifter, gauges etc. So much so that Codemasters recently did a spotlight on my rig. http://blog.codemasters.com/community/07/my-awesome-rig-avenga76/

Here are some videos of my rig in DiRT 3.

Dirt 3 is the most fun rally game, Dirt 2 is also still fun.

Richard Burns Rally is still the best handling rally game but it is hard to get going under windows 8.1 because it is so old. There is still really good mod support for it even though the game is 10 years old now, check out RSRBR.

There is a good rally mod for rFactor called Rally World. It has a good selection of cars and tracks but because rFactor isn't a rally game then the physics aren't really the greatest. It is fine for tarmac rallies but it doesn't do gravel that well, especially bumps and jumps, the tracks just aren't detailed enough to have all the ruts and pot holes you get on a rally stage. It is passable and still fun so if you have rFactor then I would try it out.

I have never got in to the WRC series. I never liked the physics and it doesn't support any of my gauges or motion.

Other than that there isn't much in the way of rally games. It sort of seems to be a forgotten genre in sim racing. Back in the day there used to be several rally games out at a time, now they have pretty much all dried up.

My hope is that the next dirt game is more rally focused, by the talk on the codemasters forums it does seem like they are going to make it in to a more serious rally sim but other than that there isn't much that I know of that is coming out with rally. I have heard that there might be some rally cars in project cars but I think that will have the same problem as Rally World, in that it is just rally cars in a circuit racing game, so the physics and everything are built for smooth tarmac and they have to fudge them to work with a rally car. The game needs to be built up from the ground as purely a rally game to get the physics right because they are very different to standard sims. 

I do have WRC4 and I like it.  I know you have a lot more peripherals than I do and as you said, they don't seem to match well with WRC but it works excellent for me.  Strange that my windows 8.1 don't like Dirt 3 but does WRC4 very well and your problem is opposite to mine. PCs!!!!!!!  It seems at times, they have a mind of their own.

Dirt 3 is the most fun rally game, Dirt 2 is also still fun.

Richard Burns Rally is still the best handling rally game but it is hard to get going under windows 8.1 because it is so old. There is still really good mod support for it even though the game is 10 years old now, check out RSRBR.

There is a good rally mod for rFactor called Rally World. It has a good selection of cars and tracks but because rFactor isn't a rally game then the physics aren't really the greatest. It is fine for tarmac rallies but it doesn't do gravel that well, especially bumps and jumps, the tracks just aren't detailed enough to have all the ruts and pot holes you get on a rally stage. It is passable and still fun so if you have rFactor then I would try it out.

I have never got in to the WRC series. I never liked the physics and it doesn't support any of my gauges or motion.

Other than that there isn't much in the way of rally games. It sort of seems to be a forgotten genre in sim racing. Back in the day there used to be several rally games out at a time, now they have pretty much all dried up.

My hope is that the next dirt game is more rally focused, by the talk on the codemasters forums it does seem like they are going to make it in to a more serious rally sim but other than that there isn't much that I know of that is coming out with rally. I have heard that there might be some rally cars in project cars but I think that will have the same problem as Rally World, in that it is just rally cars in a circuit racing game, so the physics and everything are built for smooth tarmac and they have to fudge them to work with a rally car. The game needs to be built up from the ground as purely a rally game to get the physics right because they are very different to standard sims. 

Let me ask this... where you purchased the Dirt3 PC version from?  Maybe the problem is the seller's site.  The downloaded mine from GameFly. 

Let me ask this... where you purchased the Dirt3 PC version from?  Maybe the problem is the seller's site.  The downloaded mine from GameFly. 

I have a few games (cant recall which ones at the moment) from gamefly that just stopped working. I eventually repurchased them during steam sales and the steam versions work properly. this was a few years ago and I know certain forums had lots of talk of gamefly pc game issues. I generally only buy steam or Origin games now.

I have a few games (cant recall which ones at the moment) from gamefly that just stopped working. I eventually repurchased them during steam sales and the steam versions work properly. this was a few years ago and I know certain forums had lots of talk of gamefly pc game issues. I generally only buy steam or Origin games now.

That is great to know.  I already have two games (DTM and WRC4) downloaded from Steam and they work perfectly.  So, I'm thinking of downloading Dirt 3 from Steam too hoping it will work.  Thanks for the info!!!

I have never brought anything through gamefly but if they are using their own DRM then it is possible that that is the problem. I only get my games via steam or origin also.

I would wait till the next steam sale, it is currently $25 but it was 75% off in the recent steam summer sale, I think it was $6 from memory.

Also if you can get a copy of Dirt 2 then you should join in on the next season of the dirt rally championship.