DIY HYDRAULIC HANDBRAKE
10 10

41 posts in this topic

i have not got it mounted to my rig but i know live for speed and richard burns rally work with it as it the same as a potentiometer handbrake i made last year but feels like a real hydraulic handbrake

other games work too as its just an analog controller like a clutch or brake ECT

i only need it for live for speed (drifting) richard burns rally (rallying lol) and future games 

I use a DSD hydraulic handbrake which is similar design except it has a slave cylinder and hard nolathane bushing, so it has something to pull against and gives you that sort of squeeze you get on a real handbrake as the calipers clamp down on the rotors.

IMG_9766_zps69f74ac4.jpg

Here is a video of it in use.

The DSD one doesn't measure the travel. The DSD uses pressure just like yours, it uses the exact same pressure sensor as yours but it just has a better feel, I think yours would be too hard, it is the same reason you see the slave cylinder on all the hydraulic pedals. You need something for the master cylinder to pull against or else the pressure will build up too quickly.

Basically yours is the exact same design except you left out the slave cylinder which I believe would give it better feel.

hi maddrifter,

loving all your work,so much so i want to sell my frex handbrake and build your one! i got a total of £103.07 i know its a bit precise lol  but can you tell me your average spend on this handbrake build?,also  see all the parts bar one came from ebay uk which is great for me but did you order the 1000psi sensor from the usa? if yes what was the postage time? just so i can get a rough idea on how long i will have to waitn  for parts as want to build this asap! also if i get stuck along the way would you mind if i picked your brains??

thanks

jon

Yes I had to get sensor from u.s.a only took about a week the reservoir was 2.5 weeks from China I will help anybody build anything I can so just message me you email and I'll add you to Skype

Thanks

I had the idea for a hydraulic handbrake along time ago and I did give credit to him for the links on his website leading me to the Sam sensor and I have not built the gear shifter yet so that's a different story look on my utube I built a potentiometer handbrake and since then I wanted a hydraulic

DSD does great workim not saying he does not but regards to the handbrake just cos he sells them does not mean he was the first to think or make one he does great work

As for the gear shifter I will give him credit as I have for his site

Thanks

All good.

I made my own DIY handbrake. It was potentiometer based but I converted it back to a microswitch when I got my DSD handbrake for games that don't support analog handbrakes. It was all done on a water cutting machine.

IMG_9110_zpsab9cfe20.jpg

IMG_9114_zps5613f781.jpg

IMG_9113_zps02125fdb.jpg

IMG_9878_zps3fd899ec.jpg

no my reservoir fit perfect but you got a different handbrake than i did but i thought all reservoirs was the same fitting the sam sensor may fit i dont know as i did not try it cos the back port on handbrake is an in port front is out port (back reservoir) front everything else 

on the side of the master cylinder mine says 0.7 what does yours say so i can get specs for it so i can help you 

from what i have found online both are same threads just yours holds a little more fluid so both our front port is 3/8 unf rear port where reservoir goes is 7/16 unf which is what my reservoir is and your reservoir should be as it looks the same as mine

when you say it will not fit is it too small or too big or just gets tight quickly? <<<< RESERVOIR

Madrifter

It gets tight quickly like the thread is not correct. I am waiting for the supplier to see if they will swap the master cylinder out for another.

Thanks for the info madrifter, much appreciated

ok update i had a 200mm longer handbrake handle made (£20 shipped made from 6mm alloy laser cut to perfection :)

IMG_20140616_113244_zps63cbb2aa.jpg

fitted it to handbrake

IMG_20140616_114417_zps4a1c989d.jpg

in place of where it will go

IMG_20140616_114354_zpscc82794b.jpg

it will be higher once i have design and have made a bracket to attach it to my rig

thanks for looking

Hey! Im currently looking to make a handbrake for my sim racing rig, I saw your post about the hydraulic one, is there any more specific guide I could follow? kinda lost when it comes to the circuit board and some other things

Hi madrifter, great work.

Any chance I can pick your brains about this before I let loose on eBay?

Thanks in advance.

What questions did you have?