Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ferrari Virtual Academy

44 posts in this topic

The intro video was so cheesy, seems like they had that bloke who does the voice over for movie trailers, hard to take it serious after that. Looks pretty cool anyway though im not sure if its worth splashing out on.

The intro video was so cheesy, seems like they had that bloke who does the voice over for movie trailers, hard to take it serious after that.

Thank you so much Bigbazz. Made me remember one of the best movie trailers ever:

"In a land..."

I have had a look at their site and to me this has the makings of a great sim. It looks like they have taken data from their own inhouse simulator which is one of the best in the world. Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... rters.html

This coupled to laser scanned tacks and the promise of a trip to Ferrairs own driving academy for winners and you have pretty much an irresistable combination. In Europe F1 is King and I bet most F1 racing sim fans are counting the seconds for this release. The initial 15 euro price will not put most people off particulaly as it has Ferrari themeslves behind it. If this is a success and I am certain it will be as more tracks and features are added it will only be a matter of time before other F1 teams feel they must get into this market as well.

I hope insidesim racing download this sim and can find away to review it ASAP

I got this today, found it very different from other sims and generally i don't find it as good.

The car is very stable under acceleration and you can full throttle without any traction issues in a straight line. Under braking the car is very very easy to lock up the breaks and getting the braking right is the hardest part of this sim. The car has a very understeer feel to it and the feeling of oversteer you get with other sims doesnt seem to be there. When driving around the track it feels like you're battling understeer for the whole track unless you clip the curbs/rumble strips which do punish you accordingly.

The hardest part for me is how different the car feels to driving F1 cars in rfactor. i would say that this car is easier to drive and far less punishing but at the same time very dificult to master, overcoming the easy to lockup brakes and understeer is the hard part. Im very used to using the gears to help me turn in racing, so i will brake for a corner and enter the right gear, roll through the corner and teasing the throttle, but that doesnt seem to work so well here, changing gear doesnt have the same huge effect on how the car turns, so more preperation needs to be done before the corner to nail it down.

I cant say im sold on the idea of this being the sim that they actually use in formula 1, the oversteer mechanics seem to be very basic, throttle control is very simplistic, perhaps a very much dumbed down version.

Edit : As for times, im generally running a full 2 seconds slower than Felipe massa's set time, the top 10 ranked have all beaten massa's time, some by quite a bit.

2. The tires and fuel are meant to reset each lap, but it seems theres some bug when you go off the track and then exit to the garage that you will then keep those tyres until you exit and reload the game. This was probably a big factor as to why i was struggling to keep up with the laptimes, as it took me a few laps each time to get into the groove, and the tires were getting worse and worse over that period. The grip level when the tyres reset properly is alot better.

Edit : Im not 100% sure about the above. when logging in you have brand new tyres, with no visable bumps or signs of wear, from there on your tires never look the same until you reload the game. i cant be 100% sure if the difference is just cosmetic. One thing is for sure is that tyres have no grip when they get dirty, if you exit a lap on dirty tyres you will resume when you start again on those dirty tires.

Nice feature, the rev lights on the G27 work and without the need to do anything, though despite the website/manual saying it there is no actual "G27" preset steering wheel setting. The logitech profiler doesn't seem to work with the game, neither does the ingame settings for the wheel rotation. You have to go into control panel to make that work. The game is designed to be played with 400 degrees rotation.

Got this too today and i agree with everything bigbazz said (very nice post, couldn't have said it better myself =))

Braking esp is a bit weird. What doesn't help is the movement of your head, each time you brake it looks like you have to pick your teeth from the steering wheel. Sure F1 seatbelts are not made from some elastic material?!

It feels like a Feel-Good-Sim. In other games/sims like Forza or iRacing you wouldn't be able to floor a car with such horse power like in this game. The fact that Fiorano is really a Mickey Mouse track (imho) doesn't help either. On the subject of track(s). Laserscanned? I don't think they are lying, but this is not iRacing quality scanned. Or maybe something got lost in translation.

Waste of money? Depends on the price of the next tracks and the direction they are going with this.

At least i didn't have to adjust my view on the world. The only really good thing to come out of Italy is the food. And 15 euro's would have bought me a nice bowl of pasta.

After having a bit more playing around with this, it has grown on me more and i definitely do like it, i still remain with what i have said previously though i will say that i do enjoy it and it certaintly is a challenge to master.

The graphics are by far the best i have seen on any racing game, the attention to detail is simply staggering, obviously with only 1 car to model they had plenty of time to get it right but they really got it perfect. Sounds wise i was not and still am not a huge fan, in the practice mode the traction control (which is pointless to be honest) causes the sound to clip and glitch in weird ways. In general the car sounds great from the outside view (watching replays) but pretty bland with a lack of depth/girth in the cockpit.

I had to completely change my driving style to get up to speed with this after playing FSOne2009 to death which promotes a completely different style and feel of driving (Fs2009 is alot more pointy, the brakes are worlds different), i can get consistantly in the mid/late 58s and the key is in the way you brake. The middle sector of the track is where the most time is lost and i find myself losing atleast 0.5s in that sector alone.

To people who are thinking of buying this, i say go for it, yes it is quite a lot of money for 1 car and 1 track but to be honest it is a quality piece of work, the car is absolutely beautifuly modelled and trying to master the car is fun. Its not the most polished of sims, some things leave you confused, and there are keyboard commands that arent in the manual, but beyond that it looks amazing, plays good and is quite addictive so id say its a nice addition to a sim racers collection.

I cant say im sold on the idea of this being the sim that they actually use in formula 1, the oversteer mechanics seem to be very basic, throttle control is very simplistic, perhaps a very much dumbed down version.

No one has implied that this is the same software used on the real simulator, this is just a "realistic game" made by (supposedly) the people who did netKar, hired by Ferrari using real data from the car. Probably only the car geometries where used to develop the 3d model and the rest was built to comply with certain parameters to make it feel realistic. The real simulator used by Ferrari consists of a whole building with multiple servers running the software and needs a complete team of engineers just to use it.

I'm glad you liked the game, me too, i find it quite addictive. The coolest part for me is comparing my throttle and brake inputs to Felipe's lap. If the physics are 100% realistic or not we will never know until we get behind the wheel of the real F1 car (which most likely will never happen), but at least being able to compare my driving style to a real f1 driver's telemetry, even if it's just a video game, gives me a feeling of at least knowing whats going on inside the cockpit when i see the F1 races on TV.

My best time so far is 1:01.035, i'm barely getting to know the track, i hope i can manage at least a 0:58 eventually.

I had to completely change my driving style to get up to speed with this after playing FSOne2009 to death which promotes a completely different style and feel of driving (Fs2009 is alot more pointy, the brakes are worlds different), i can get consistantly in the mid/late 58s and the key is in the way you brake. The middle sector of the track is where the most time is lost and i find myself losing atleast 0.5s in that sector alone.

Yeah the same happened to me, the game actually kinda ruined FSONE 2009 for me, i have been playing it to death too and now it just feels clunky and old... :| The biggest difference for me between the two is the fact that i run FSONE at 35 FOV, and this FVA seems to be closer to a 50 FOV. Also the FFB, i had fsone with a fairly stiff ffb and this one feels much more lose... but i think i can live loving both of them hehe

No one has implied that this is the same software used on the real simulator, this is just a "realistic game" made by (supposedly) the people who did netKar, hired by Ferrari using real data from the car. Probably only the car geometries where used to develop the 3d model and the rest was built to comply with certain parameters to make it feel realistic. The real simulator used by Ferrari consists of a whole building with multiple servers running the software and needs a complete team of engineers just to use it.

I'm glad you liked the game, me too, i find it quite addictive. The coolest part for me is comparing my throttle and brake inputs to Felipe's lap. If the physics are 100% realistic or not we will never know until we get behind the wheel of the real F1 car (which most likely will never happen), but at least being able to compare my driving style to a real f1 driver's telemetry, even if it's just a video game, gives me a feeling of at least knowing whats going on inside the cockpit when i see the F1 races on TV.

My best time so far is 1:01.035, i'm barely getting to know the track, i hope i can manage at least a 0:58 eventually.

From their website:

The Ferrari simulator used by the drivers for their training sessions, is an incredibly complex system, efficiently reproducing the Ferrari F10's dynamic behaviour to make it realistic even while using a normal PC: this was one of the programmers' main challenges. Based on an analysis of the car's official data, its aerodynamic behaviour, the tyres' characteristics, the bodywork-suspension system and all of the transmission elements have been reproduced.

http://www.ferrarivirtualacademy.com/ga ... azione.jsp

So they do make it sound as if the game is based upon their official training simulator. Which I guess wouldn't be 100% true, but judging by their text they were a lot more involved, and used a lot more official data outside of what's needed for just 3d modeling.

Personally I think the sim drives very well. When you watch real onboard laps at this circuit, it's hard to argue that anything hasn't been properly replicated. It would be unfair to compare it to iracing since FVA is still officially in beta, and as of now there's no F1 car to compare it to. But, something that currently plagues iracing is how unrealistic some of the cars drive at the limit, you can push the cars a bit too hard, even slide some corners, and still put down great laps. Here with FVA, granted again an F1 is going to be entirely different, but the car seems to handle much more realistically at the limit, and requires more precision to put down fast times. Overall I also think it's a far bigger challenge, which is a huge plus. On iRacing cars like the Falcon, which should be an extreme handful, are very tame and easy to handle which hurts some of the excitement and realism.

i dont know dude, i read that as them saying "the real simulator is very complex and quite realistic, the challenge for the developers of FVA was to make it realistic as well but for a home pc"

I just dont get the impression that they try to pass this off as "ferraris real simulator is now for sale for 15 euros for your home pc"

cheers :mrgreen:

Having watched my rank fall from the top 100 to now the low 300's and the laptimes people are doing its amazing how skilled some drivers out there are. The fastest times are nearing on a second faster than felipe massa, the ammount of skill and perfection required to do such a lap is off the scale, those top sim racers just baffle me.

Driving a 58.7 (which is the fastest i can recreate, though flukes can be faster) takes a huge ammount of precision, you have to brake hard and push hard without locking up or spinning, if you arent within a hair width of either then your lap will be slow, but doing so means that the chances of failure are high, lines have to be spot on and doing that really takes a lot of focus, yet the fastest laps are into the 56.7's after 1 day of release... to find almost 2 seconds more after already putting the car at the limit is incredible.

Im about to spend some time this evening attempting to get into the 57s though i have a feeling it is going to take me hours to first get back into the groove of the car, then put together 3 perfect sectors, while solving the mystery of how to properly take the 2nd sector, which is where i lose all my time.

I cant imagine felipe massa is feeling good knowing that his record has been smashed within hours of release, and after a day there are people closing in on 1second faster. How long exactly did he spend making the lap? one thing is for sure is that his 57.6 is actually an incredible lap, but the sim racers out there have taken it up a whole other level.

makes you appreciate real life F1 a little better doesnt it? the level of concentration and precision those guys achieve while risking their lives at every corner is something that is really hard to fathom... imagine being SO precise at 300km/h and pulling 4Gs... out of this world...

i dont know dude, i read that as them saying "the real simulator is very complex and quite realistic, the challenge for the developers of FVA was to make it realistic as well but for a home pc"

I just dont get the impression that they try to pass this off as "ferraris real simulator is now for sale for 15 euros for your home pc"

cheers :mrgreen:

Of course not, but what it implies is that they tried to get it as close to their real simulator as possible while working within the limitations of a home PC. It also shows that there's a lot of real-world data that went into modeling the physics of this F10. So to say that this is just netKar with Ferrari lending their data for a 3d model really wouldn't do much justice to what most likely transpired behind the scenes.

So overall I think it has a lot to offer from a realism standpoint and will only get better with time.

You are right, BB Vette, it may not be just netkar with a ferrari 3d model, it may be quite a bit more complex than that. The important thing is that i reaaaaally enjoy this new sim and has left my rFactor looking like, well, 2006 software... hehe.

And cepwin, trust me its worth the $20. If i did only 20 laps and never play it ever again, i could safely say that those 20 laps where well worth $1 each. Try it, its really really good and the graphics are quite stunning.

And i really honestly dont mind at all having just one car and one track. Even if its not a real GP track, just a test track. If i could in real life turn up at Fiorano any day and take a real F10 for a quick spin, i would do that every single day of my life. So why not do it virtually :D

Cant wait for Nurburgring.

Well I'm not having so much fun with this so far. For whatever reason, I cannot get more than 16 frames per second whilst running the sim (it seems locked to this frame rate). At any resolution. I get get 120fps in iRacing at 1650x1080, so it's not my pc. Strangely, during replays I get 30fps (again appears locked to this). I've emailed support and waiting for a solution that works, otherwise this is a waste of money - 16fps is unplayable.

Other than that, I really didn't like the sound, at least at first. Revving the engine sounds like I'm playing on an Amiga or something. Down shifts sound awful too. Once you're up to speed and banging through the gears it sounds pretty good I suppose. Won't be doing much of that with this frame rate issue unfortunately...

Anyone else had these problems? Or know of anyone who has? I'm desperate for a solution.

Alright...I think my opinion has been swayed....I'll download it today and give it a whirl. :D

And cepwin, trust me its worth the $20. If i did only 20 laps and never play it ever again, i could safely say that those 20 laps where well worth $1 each. Try it, its really really good and the graphics are quite stunning.

Well I'm not having so much fun with this so far. For whatever reason, I cannot get more than 16 frames per second whilst running the sim (it seems locked to this frame rate). At any resolution. I get get 120fps in iRacing at 1650x1080, so it's not my pc. Strangely, during replays I get 30fps (again appears locked to this). I've emailed support and waiting for a solution that works, otherwise this is a waste of money - 16fps is unplayable.

Other than that, I really didn't like the sound, at least at first. Revving the engine sounds like I'm playing on an Amiga or something. Down shifts sound awful too. Once you're up to speed and banging through the gears it sounds pretty good I suppose. Won't be doing much of that with this frame rate issue unfortunately...

Anyone else had these problems? Or know of anyone who has? I'm desperate for a solution.

Scratch my previous post....

I tried the NetKar Pro demo and had the same problem. Did dome hunting.... The recommended solution? Re-boot. And guess what, it worked. Smooth as silk now, and the audio is a whole lot better too. Bizarre problem that fortunately had an easy fix.

Now for some F1 pleasures!

Considering the time i've spent on this, its already passed its money worth. Alternative would be a take away, or a few drinks, im happy with the money spent ^^.

Spent some time trying to get the 57s last night, managed a 58.008... having gone 5 tenths slower than my old best lap in the first/last sectors and making up almost 8 tenths in the 2nd sector. so i think i should be able to match massa's time if i give it a blast tonight.

I have to agree with you bigbazz. I just spend about 40 minutes on it...got my time down to 1:10 + change...still have work to do. It seems to handle pretty well but no unrealistically....if you don't hit your brake points you will wreck. The only thing I noticed is the brakes do not tend to lock. I don't know how much of this is the model and how much is I'm just doing a little better since I learned to keep some throttle when I brake (which prevents those locks/spins.)

Having telemetry is good...I use that extensively as a tool to tell me how I should drive a track. The one thing I wish they'd include is the gear...what gear is Felipe or Alonso driving in?

I also like the graphics...the game looks gorgeous.