Martini themed SimXperience Stage 4 / Accuforce / Triple Projector - build thread
45 45

91 posts in this topic

It's wonderful to see persons rig start from humble beginnings and evolve something that many of us dream about owning. This is an awesome build!!! 

Living vicariously through everyone's threads/videos is part of the fun of the hobby. If your lucky enough to have a reasonable job and save carefully we can all enjoy the hobby at different levels. We all start out small typically with a PS3 or xBox and the passion grows. I originally come from a part of Yorkshire where many men go an enjoy 3 or 4 pints of beer per night, when you total this up over a few years they could afford an awesome rig setup. Many of use are lucky enough to choose how we want to live our lives, sadly many other people are not as fortunate!

Switchface, enjoy... your rig in a room that looks as if was made for it!

Keep the photographs coming, let us enjoy your pleasure vicariously.

Thanks Steve, you've encapsulated my thoughts entirely.  I've lived beneath my means for some time and saved up; the rig is a reminder/reward of hard work and I'm looking forward to sharing it with friends.  I've lurked on here for a while living vicariously through the uniqueness and variety of everyone's builds.  From the DIY to the over the top extreme setups, I get quite a bit of enjoyment from seeing what others have come up with.  I intend to 'repay' what I have 'taken' and share more photos and videos throughout the process.

Your welcome. Sharing and helping others provides it's own unique rewards. I now have a number of people on this board who I;m happy to call friends.and know they will help me when I come up against a challenge. Giving, receiving and lots of big smiles along the way.

Sometimes you look and think "wow, that's over the top", a few month/years later your personal bar begins to raise. I was just looking at avenga76 amazing dash setup... awesome... Your new room and all the great gear. Ausistigs F1 inspired setup... so many talented and creative people.

Then you add the little jokes and leg pulling along the way, this is a good sim community.

Nice work Switchface. This is definitely one of the most sought after configurations. If you every get a chance to record a video of it in motion with a sim displayed I (and likely everyone else) will welcome to see it.  

Thanks sebj!  I recorded a video the other night with my buddy turning a lap, but its tough to get a good sense of things.  I wonder how most people with projector setups record decent videos considering its usually quite dark in the room.

I'm having a bunch of friends over for a craft beer/BBQ/sim racing night this weekend.  I'll do my best to record from a variety of settings to try to capture the immersion as best I can.

Had a great time last night sharing the rig with friends.  Grilled some beer soaked brats, drank craft beer o'plenty, and everyone took turns trying out the rig. 

I tried to grab videos of my friends in action, but most were crashing too often to make a good video.  I have to take the blame for this, as I had the difficulty setting on 'Get Real'.  After most people left, my friend switched to amateur setting which added in traction control; I should have had it this way all along for everyone as he had a lot more success.  Oh well, next time.

Before we were ready to call it a night, we stumbled into a Hillclimb event for the first time and my buddy filmed my first try.  Its tough to get the full resolution and immersion of the projectors on video, but here is an attempt:  https://vimeo.com/110093572

Fantastic rig there Switchface, I got all excited when I saw you were using multiple projectors and motion. There aren't too many home builds using this combination. I have a dual projector set up on a 180 degree curved screen that I may well be putting motion into. (Here).

What software did you use to blend and warp the images?

@SteveSpenceley - I didn't know you were originally from Blighty!! you learn something new every day!!

Thanks Rob.  I'm familiar with your curved beamer setup and Scully's, incredible amount of work put into those setups!  

I suppose thats the neat thing about the arrangement I have, I'm not using any warping software at all.  I have the projectors lined up right on the edge of where the next one starts.  There is a little bit of white hobby tape (similar to what a white-out stick/tape would leave behind) to blend the seams of the screens.  I can still color correct them a bit further than they are, but to be honest, I only notice before I start playing...once the racing begins, I'm completely enveloped.

I remember reading a few people saying one of the issues they ran into with curved setup was that a lot of titles have triple screen FOV calculators built in based on the degree of your screens.  Since there is no 'degree' with a curved screen, this caused issues when trying to get a realistic FOV, since the whole thing is constantly bent around you.  I'm sure that's what the warping software is designed to tackle, and I bet its pretty sweet once dialed in.

Yup, there is one on each side of the seat.  The earlier photo gives a better look since most everything is out of the way:

923480_10201825392736770_58556442_n.jpg

The ECCI wheel base has custom buttons added so that you could control the intensity of each buttkicker independently, but I am selling the ECCI gear.

Selling ECCI and... :)

how do you find the seat mover? Have you tried other motion setups before?   How do you find your body moving away from the wheel and screen center, does it 'feel' real?  

Do you think a GS4 seat would add to the immersion or take away from it on that rig?

cheers

And its that enough? Because i See that sim experience are using 4 mini lfe se

From personal experience, You WILL NOT get the same vibration's form Mini LFE's as you will Gamer 2's.  even 2 LFE's is DESTROYED by a singer Gamer 2

Motion rigs, IE seat movers are connected to the "base" by a single Pivot point, There's little point to adding any "rear" tactile that your Rear end wont be able to tell where its coming from. Front on the pedal deck might be a little different, I personally chose to go with 2 gamer's on either side of the seat Exactly like switchface.  I have a 3rd gamer 2 that i have mounted to my seat frame itself.

Selling ECCI and... :)

how do you find the seat mover? Have you tried other motion setups before?   How do you find your body moving away from the wheel and screen center, does it 'feel' real?  

Do you think a GS4 seat would add to the immersion or take away from it on that rig?

cheers

I'm on the list for the Accuforce wheel.  Since I'm already using SimCommander to control the rig, it seems like a perfect fit.  I would keep the ECCI pedals as I like them, but I think it makes more sense to sell the setup as a whole unit so the new owner gets a complete setup.

I've tried CXC's $50k setup and I tried a Human Racing chassis on a 4 actuator DBox setup.  I don't want to start another huge debate on this topic, but my opinion echoes what others have said when they take about the brain's ability to trick the body.  Contrary to what you'd think from watching videos, the 'seat movers' do not throw you closer and farther away from your controls, they trick your brain into feeling things.  I find that I begin to tighten and brace my core while racing and the whole experience feels quite involving.  Everyone that tries the rig leaves sweating!  The DBox setup was cool in that it was super compact/clean and easy to move around.  It did not give me the same feeling however; it felt like one of those rides at an amusement park in front of a big screen.  I think DBox is perfectly suited to mimic an interactive movie/ride like that or a flight simulator, but I much prefer a 'seat mover' for racing.  The coolest part is the rear traction loss, and as of now I believe only SimXperience has that (from what I've heard Fast Track has been working on one for a while).

As for the GS4, I can only assume it would add to the experience as there are many happy people with them.  Since I can't tell if its uncomfortable/lumpy/odd to sit in, I'm not sure how I would like it until I tried it.  I'm more of a GT fan, but I could see F1 guys that want a compact setup very happy with a Human Racing chassis + GS4 + DBox + Oculus setup.  Personally, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

And whats that for seat you are using what its called?

Its a Corbeau FX1 Racing Seat with 5 Point Racing Harness and dual ButtKicker Gamer 2's mounted on each side.

Motion rigs, IE seat movers are connected to the "base" by a single Pivot point, There's little point to adding any "rear" tactile that your Rear end wont be able to tell where its coming from. Front on the pedal deck might be a little different, I personally chose to go with 2 gamer's on either side of the seat Exactly like switchface.  I have a 3rd gamer 2 that i have mounted to my seat frame itself.

I can see how SimVibe can add to a static rig, but there is a decent amount of vibration that comes through the actuators as is, that I've been experimenting turning them down and adding more smoothness.

thank you for sharing your opinion on the whole Full frame Vs Seat mover debate. There's Far too many people who see Big AC powered CKAS units and FULL frame mover's with Overly Sloppy Dull Massive amount of movement's that might look cool on video but are Far from tricking the brain.   

Quick update as the room continues to come together.  Here are a few glamour shots of the PC:

IMG_0174.jpg

Yes Martini Racing striped cables...because Martini:

IMG_0178.jpg

My vintage Porsche racing posters hit the wall along with the all important 'das Leaderboard':

FullSizeRender%201.jpg

I've got a sheet full of times still to add.  Anyone that comes over has to lay down a lap on the R3E Hill Climb...usually after they've had a few cocktails.  Fun stuff!