Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel MBG Mod V2

21 posts in this topic

Finally, after months of study and work .... the mod is ready 

to the contrary of the previous mod no longer has the original electronics but is only entrusted to the pcb of the display where the keys are connected push button (nkk 2011) and keys toggle switch (front and side), rotary-encoder, rotary switch and clutch, change has the original blades with reinforced springs and buttons knitter, 
the front end has been completely rebuilt with plastic and putty to recreate the famous step below the encoder housing and GRP Boat for display as cutting the plastic thrustmaster you can not fit it as reality, was mounted a quick release formula (sparco ) ahh i forgot manettini were made by me on two layers of rubber and covered with spray and coiled cord 5mm

woba2lk4lrnqbmefg.jpg

a80dkrthqa9x745fg.jpg

8l9d1ct1a3ged5dfg.jpg

2lhzq4j1imq5isrfg.jpg

r4gatgio65t5ekefg.jpg

5d7fatxycovrruofg.jpg

8slh0q33vqpdtclfg.jpg

to1tl4x92qtbn5hfg.jpg

2c8t1vgod9ilr45fg.jpg

hnduxs3bf3cbo0vfg.jpg

2h4yv5h02kwjb6efg.jpg

0rybazoha3hc46jfg.jpg

4rq889ctm6nflacfg.jpg

Mate, I was this close to calling you out that this was in fact an F1 Carbon Wheel from SALA Motorsport! It took several back-and-forth comparisons to see the differences.  Just a fantastic job, even the stickers are authentic.

(pic for iRacing members http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/downloadAttach/2228413.page) 

Amazing work Giuseppe, congratulations !

I think I missed your article when you posted it.

I have a few questions for you:

• What is the final weight of your wheel ?
  • I found the switches on the rear side of the wheel where the forefingers sit a very interesting idea. Are these 2-way or 3-way switches ?
  • Could you tell me more about the additional paddles:
    • Are these switches or analog ?
    • How did you build them ?
    • How did you mount them on the wheel housing ?
  • How many input and outputs of the SIMR-F1 display are used in your design ?
  • Are your input devices soldered directly to the wiring loom or are you using connectors ? If yes, which kind of connectors are you using ?
  • Are you using in-line resistors to dim the leds ? If yes, what value ?
  • From the 6 rotary inputs, which are encoders and which are 12-way switches ? I see both upper rotaries are mounted really close and high, so these are probably encoders as you probably didn't cut the pillars.
  • How did you connect the Ferrari knob to the shaft ?  ;)

Thanks in advance 

I have never weighed the new steering wheel, however, I think I'm about 300 grams more than the original

the rear switches, pushbutton switches, there are two ways that I've connected to the same wire you only have one input per switch to connect precisely the famous quick information display

I wonder if the clutch lever I purchase from me in Italy and have been modified with two magnets and then work with hall sensor

link

the front buttons were all welded to the display, the rear buttons, push button switch, gear levers, clutch levers are all with the connectors in order to work better in the closing phase of the steering wheel

no need for external resistors for the LEDs sim F1 race

12-position rotary switches are in all three pieces, namely central ferrari logo, plus side and have been modified to be able to going to let the springs inside the frame although it was difficult

the knob ferrari all'abero was connected with screw grain as I wrote you before :)

if you look at the third picture you can see under the mapola ferrari screw wheat, of course was put inside a cylinder of plastic glued to the knob :)

Forgot front facade has been completely rebuilt with the paste hardener for coachbuilding car ... if you look carefully is different from the original thrustmaster

I have never weighed the new steering wheel, however, I think I'm about 300 grams more than the original

the rear switches, pushbutton switches, there are two ways that I've connected to the same wire you only have one input per switch to connect precisely the famous quick information display

I wonder if the clutch lever I purchase from me in Italy and have been modified with two magnets and then work with hall sensor

link

the front buttons were all welded to the display, the rear buttons, push button switch, gear levers, clutch levers are all with the connectors in order to work better in the closing phase of the steering wheel

no need for external resistors for the LEDs sim F1 race

12-position rotary switches are in all three pieces, namely central ferrari logo, plus side and have been modified to be able to going to let the springs inside the frame although it was difficult

the knob ferrari all'abero was connected with screw grain as I wrote you before :)

if you look at the third picture you can see under the mapola ferrari screw wheat, of course was put inside a cylinder of plastic glued to the knob :)

Forgot front facade has been completely rebuilt with the paste hardener for coachbuilding car ... if you look carefully is different from the original thrustmaster

Thanks for the info Giuseppe,

Could you please explain what you mean by: "plus side and have been modified to be able to going to let the springs inside the frame although it was difficult". Did you modify the spring inside the 12-way switches. I'm interested in this as I find the click to be too strong.

Could you also show me how you connected the Ferrari knob to the switch shaft. As I understand you glued a plastic part inside of the knob and used a screw, but this is still not very clear to me.

buttons thrustmaster gear frets are replaced with the knitter buttons 

9zbnkyhadwjj1l4fg.jpg

the original springs springs have been changed with the springs a little smaller in size to let the rotary switch 12 positions slamming their accommodation springs that I cut 

I hope it is now clear

for rotary stick ferrari ... here is the solution adopts ... I hope that is clear :)

ddg5q2iojvgg0y6fg.jpg

buttons thrustmaster gear frets are replaced with the knitter buttons 

9zbnkyhadwjj1l4fg.jpg

the original springs springs have been changed with the springs a little smaller in size to let the rotary switch 12 positions slamming their accommodation springs that I cut 

I hope it is now clear

for rotary stick ferrari ... here is the solution adopts ... I hope that is clear :)

ddg5q2iojvgg0y6fg.jpg

Thanks Giuseppe, now everything is clear  :)

Your solution for fastening the Ferrari knob to the shaft is superior to mine in that it is fully adjustable. Concerning the 12-way switches and springs , I thought you were talking about the internal springs of the switches that produce that very strong click. I will ask SimDisplay if there is a way to soften it. 

So much work has to go into these Ferrari wheels mods that it's commendable and this is one of the finest examples that I have seen.

BTW has everyone seen the new HPP F1 wheel that Mark is proposing to make?  Apparently it will have a blank faceplate so you can cut out what ever button layout and design you like.   It's a really neat idea that there will be demand for it if the price is right:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3261853.page

beautiful work .... certainly far from a replica of the steering wheel ferrari ..... 

but if you are looking for a replica of the steering wheel ferrari I think it's a good job! 

the mods thrustmaster as painful and full of work remains to a solution very close to the actual steering wheel ....