Thrustmaster TX fan replacement
4 4

44 posts in this topic

Loud fans drive me bonkers so I decided to replace the stock 60x60x15mm 12V .25A Chiefly fan.

First step is to  take off the round cover plate on the front of the wheel which has 4 screws which will expose  3 more underneath it you will need to remove.  All the screws you need to remove are the same size in this procedure so don't worry about keeping them separated. 

standard.jpg                   standard.jpg                                                                                                                          

Next step is to remove the 5 screws on the bottom around the perimeter

. standard.jpgstandard.jpg

Next I used the pictured pan scraping tool to and started at the back of the unit and worked my way towards the front to get the seam separated.At this point the only thing holding the cover on are the dreaded latches on each side of the front of the base.  They serve no real purpose. Just makes the cover harder to get off which is probably the idea to begin with.Once you get to the corner you need to pull the top cover forward and the snap will disengage.After removing the cover I ground off the little nubs on the top cover so I don't have to deal with this anymore

standard.jpg

After he cover is off you can simply remove the stock fan which is attached with two screws and then unplug it from the main board.  I ended up replacing it with this fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VKSXDI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I had some thin tin laying around and used it to construct the bracket for my new fan holder.A little grinding and bending and it was just at the perfect angle. The new fan is 80x80x15mm and barely fits with the cover on so the angle of the bracket has to be right.

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

As you can see I pirated a case fan adapter so I didn't have to rewire the fan in case it wasn't suitable.

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

From there it was easy. Just screwed the bracket in and plugged it in and was ready to go. This is what it looks like. Note the fan is almost touching the motor heat sink so the cover seats without hitting anything. There is very little room between the fan and the top cover but they don't touch. The new fan moves a good amount of air quietly . I kept the cover on without the screws for a few days to make sure it wasn't getting to hot. I don't have the FFB set real high which is my preference and everything was as cool as a cucumber . 

standard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpg

Awesome post. I just got a TX and love it. I was researching this fan swap, but as I was using the wheel I felt it was plenty quiet. Then... the fan went leaf blower mode on me after about 10-15mins of racing. Now I'm actually looking to replace it. I'm kind of nervous changing the fan for fear the wheel dies like so many have on these forums. I did get the new firmware version that amazon is selling now so maybe mine will be ok. I'd hate to swap fans then have the wheel die and not be able to get warranty for something possibly unrelated to my fan swap.

Does the fan you linked ramp up based on temperature like the stock fan?

Does the fan you linked ramp up based on temperature like the stock fan?

On my TX the fan only had one speed On of off. You can experiment with 80x80x15mm fans to vary the noise level. The fan I am using is very quiet and temps are fine. You may want a fan with a bit more power and of course noise

Hello. While you were inside of the base did you notice if the stock wheel connector could be rerouted outside of the wheel so I can have the stock rim plugged in for xbox and have an aftermarket rim connected to the base. Thanks!

It's been a while and I am not sure. Not to difficult to take apart and have a look for yourself

Hey there!

Thanks for the Tutorial.

This Thread was very informative and showed me, that I am not the only Person facing this sort of Problem with the TX Wheel.

But before I decide to open it up and mess around with it myself (since it's brand new and just came in 2 Days ago...) I would like to ask you guys if every Wheel is

affected or just some Fans turned out to be that bad?

I could simply return it for a new one, although it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to return it.. if every Wheel is facing the same Problem with the Fan being that noisy anyway.

When I tested it out in iRacing I heard absolutely nothing in the beginning, but just 5 Minutes later the Fan began to kick in and give me a loud "scratchy / worn out bearing" kinda noise.

Is that the same noise you guys get from yours?

I don't want to Hijack this Thread, but opening a new one just for a simple question like that seemed inappropriated in my eyes.

Would love to read your answers. Thanks!

~ChevyMan94 

Hey there!

Thanks for the Tutorial.

This Thread was very informative and showed me, that I am not the only Person facing this sort of Problem with the TX Wheel.

But before I decide to open it up and mess around with it myself (since it's brand new and just came in 2 Days ago...) I would like to ask you guys if every Wheel is

I could simply return it for a new one, although it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to return it.. if every Wheel is facing the same Problem with the Fan being that noisy anyway.

When I tested it out in iRacing I heard absolutely nothing in the beginning, but just 5 Minutes later the Fan began to kick in and give me a loud "scratchy / worn out bearing" kinda noise.

I don't want to Hijack this Thread, but opening a new one just for a simple question like that seemed inappropriated in my eyes.

~ChevyMan94 

In my case the fan was normal but still annoying to me personally. Sounds like your fan is defective and if that is the case I probably would exchange the whole unit  if possible.

In my case the fan was normal but still annoying to me personally. Sounds like your fan is defective and if that is the case I probably would exchange the whole unit  if possible.

First of all - thank you for your quick response! =)

I know it probably sounds strange, but if I uploaded a Video of my TX Wheel's Fan spinning up, would you check it out and tell me if yours sounded anything like that?

I'm uncertain if it is really the Fan that is broken inside my TX Wheel, so before sending it back in (and having all that trouble with the Carriers / Amazon again...) I would want to pinpoint it and make sure it's what causes the noise.

In addition to that, does anyone know why the red "Mode" Led on the Wheel Base keeps flashing consistently after I connect it to my XBox One?

It didn't initially do that, although it still works as it should. Just worried about my Wheel...

Thanks in advance!

~ChevyMan94 

First of all - thank you for your quick response! =)

I know it probably sounds strange, but if I uploaded a Video of my TX Wheel's Fan spinning up, would you check it out and tell me if yours sounded anything like that?

I'm uncertain if it is really the Fan that is broken inside my TX Wheel, so before sending it back in (and having all that trouble with the Carriers / Amazon again...) I would want to pinpoint it and make sure it's what causes the noise.

In addition to that, does anyone know why the red "Mode" Led on the Wheel Base keeps flashing consistently after I connect it to my XBox One?

It didn't initially do that, although it still works as it should. Just worried about my Wheel...

Thanks in advance!

~ChevyMan94 

Sure i can check it out

Hey there!

Thanks for the Tutorial.

~ChevyMan94 

I shouldn't worry, mine makes the same scratchy noise.  When I first heard it, I thought someone has started a chainsaw outside, seriously, I looked out the window to check!

I think the fan is just a bit crappy and placed right at the top, so you can hear it more, I think this mod is ideal with the relocation of the fan, sending hot air up and out the vents at the top.

It's a funny one, I don't want to open the unit because it's new, but at the same time, I don't want it to break down because of a crappy cooling solution from TM.

I actually modded the fan configuration a few times before I ended up with my current setup.  I am running two of these inside my TX and it has been flawless and quiet for months.

GELID Solutions Silent6 FN-SX06-38 60mm Case Fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426033

If you wish I can take the cover off and post a few pics of my current configuration 

Sure; if you don't mind.

I will only be pulling mine apart once.  I assume you installed the extra fan because you were still getting FFB fade/temp issues?

Have you used a fan splitter to use multiple fans?

Also, is the connector on the TX motherboard proprietary?  Doesn't look like a standard molex???

Sure; if you don't mind.

I will only be pulling mine apart once.  I assume you installed the extra fan because you were still getting FFB fade/temp issues?

Have you used a fan splitter to use multiple fans?

Also, is the connector on the TX motherboard proprietary?  Doesn't look like a standard molex???

Been quite a while so let me take the cover off and check it out. I don't remember how I connected both fans. Pretty sure I used two fans just to be safe and it was easy to do. I will take some pics later today and post them for you

I just got one of these off ebay and just read about all these eletrical issues these wheels seem to be having on here as well as thrustmaster refusing to back their product. Apparently, I didn't research well enough before buying. So, I was wondering if this mod helps with longevity of the wheel in general? I might consider it, if any issues are linked to the motor/pcb overheating. Really curious because I don't want to end up with a $300 paper weight. Would rather buy the logitech even though it is slightly inferior.

The problem your referring to was that some of the initial internal power supplies were burning up but it wasn't a heat issue caused by the fan As far as warranty you need a receipt of purchase from an authorized dealer such as Amazon ,etc

Is this simply a noise related mod or are you guys doing it for the longevity of the wheel?

The noise itself doesnt bother me on my T300 but if it makes for a better running wheel that lasts longer I might give this a go.

If I understand correctly, fan failure was a problem and Thrustmaster provided replacements under warranty.  The replacement fan is a larger fan and they changed the mounting location.  There were some people on GT Planet who recommended the Noctua fan.  Got it on Amazon for under $15 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQMESS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_

The fan has a very high CFM and very quiet.  I'll post some pics of my install but I mounted the fan based on Thurstmasters instructions.