Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iRacing kiled track modeling for other sims

8 posts in this topic

Hey, Bit of a rant coming up, so feel free to tune out.

Back when I was a teenager, with a LFS S1 demo and a mouse, I was interested in the track side of racing more than the cars. I always felt that all cars were driven in basicly the same way, and that once you got fast in one car you could be fast in them all. Maybe this is why I have never been quick :P. But a new track to me meant a whole new challenge, a new set of lines to be memorized. I have always craved new tracks, and wanted to get involved in making them.

Shorty after rfactor was released, I started to learn to make tracks. I ended up not getting far, having started many projects but not getting far. My best attempt, Bagard Bell (a track based off a fantasy layout I found), wasn't really too good. But it was a start. My track making was always a bit of a failure, but I was able to do most aspects of the modeling. I just never could finish a project off.

However, When iRacing was released, things changed. After driving the laser-scanned tracks, as most of you know, it was difficult to go back to non-laser tracks. However the effect on me as a modeler was even more drastic. I was just finishing a layout for a real-world track, but i wasn't happy with it anymore. It just felt wrong, and it was dissapointing to drive. As a perfectionist, It was deeply disturbing to know this could be alot better.

I have tried a couple of times since to do some modeling, attempting to start on my local track. But everytime I started, it just felt wrong, and I couldn't continue knowing that. I haven't got a stable job, so i can't afford to hire a laser scanner (not that i would know how to use one anyway).

So thanks iRacing, my drive to mod has been quelled. I hope one day i'll get that drive back.

Shaun Field

While I completely agree with you that IRacing has stepped things up when it comes to track building I think there are still some valid arguements for non laser scanned tracks to not only exist but to be needed.

There are some tracks of the world that will never be scanned by an IRacing type group. The reasons are multiple, off the beaten path, not popular enough, dont have the licencing rights, temporary circuit and not available, or that the track or configuration no longer exists as in historic tracks.

Also some of my favorite tracks made are built with other methods. Mid Ohio by Virtual LM for example, even drivers from real life will testify to its accuracy. Also I have a huge love for fantasy tracks. As long as any sim has enough real life tracks I love running tracks created purely for sim racing. Accuracy is thrown out the window i favor of fun and driving challenge.

There are tools available for any track builder to use to create masterpieces. Satellite pictures and mapping, fan photos, elevation charts, real life driver input, and other ingenious ways of measuring accuracy, allow for some of the best tracks on earth to be built.

I would have to agree with Shawn.

I don't do iRacing (yet) so these fancy laser scanned tracks are oblivious to me, but then again, unless you are a real race car driver that has driven any particular track, how would you know how accurate the sim track is or isn't. Most sim racers don't race real cars so they probably could care less if a particular small bump is in the perfect spot on any given track. Also as the years go by, most race tracks suffer some changes due to weather wear and tear, new paving at places and so on. All I can say is make the tracks YOU are happy with and others will be grateful for your hard work.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Get back and make some tracks! =)

I like iRacing and laserscanned tracks are pretty cool. However, a lot of the lasserscanned tracks in iRacing don't appeal to me one bit. I rather have a non-lasserscanned Barcelona GP track in Forza then a lasserscanned Sebring in Iracing (i hate that track in any form).

Imho lasserscanning is really, really cool for ovals. Bumps and such all off a sudden make a track feel less sterile. On road courses it's less pronounced. It helps, but the types of corners and general flow of the track are more important for me.

laser scanned = a nice looking track .

It does not = a proper track.

Iracings irwandale is nothing like the real deal , The real cars can run multi lines.

iracing is still a single groove racing game.

So get over the pretty pictures and go back to making your tracks with a sim that can handle multi lines.

Save your self some money and start working on rFactor and have some fun.

Another thing to think about , rFactor is used by most of the F1 Teams for there simulator testing.

No ask your self why rFactor is used by these major racing teams.

Yes I race iRacing also. But it is nothing more than a game with a higher cost than the other games.

And that is why I still play with rFactor . Because it is damn good.

Don't let the Fan boys talk you out of working on your tracks.

rFactor and the Gmotor is still the best.

again laser scanned tracks = pretty picture.

It does not mean the track is any more accurate than any other sim.

To be accurate you have to have proper racing lines.

Another thing to think about , rFactor is used by most of the F1 Teams for there simulator testing.

No ask your self why rFactor is used by these major racing teams.

rFactor is not used by any F1 teams. rFactor Pro is used - its not the same thing.