Thrustmaster F1 wheel mod with SIMR-F1 display, switches and encoders
11 11

242 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, F1Aussie said:

Wheel is finally done, just going to add an odd sticker here and there to finish it off when I decide what the buttons will do.

Thanks to pascalh and vicsalt for the help.

P_20160514_220340.jpg

P_20160514_220402.jpg

Nice ;)

On 30/04/2016 at 6:33 AM, Davidr1979 said:

If i paid, will someone here do the F1 modifications for me? 

It's not that hard to do, I am not very handy with tools and have never done anything like this before and I am surprised at how well it came up. The only thing I didn't do was the soldering, got my dad to do it.

On 04/07/2016 at 7:46 PM, tomwebb said:

Great write up! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks ;)

The wheel is still working great after more than 2 years of daily operation. Latest video with the wheel:

Edited by pascalh

Hi guys - I completed this mod at the start of the year (complete with a G27 quick release) and am really happy with it. Just wondering if anyone has seen this new beauty from simdisplay: http://www.simdisplay.net/sim-race-lcd-controller

It's an F1 LCD display based on the McLaren PCU-8D by the looks of it (the display the F1 teams have been using since 2014). I'm thinking I'd like to do this mod again with the SIMR-LCD, but not sure of a base wheel to use as I don't think there are any sensibly priced 2014+ style wheels readily available on the market.

Has anyone else seen or considered this new display, and does anyone have any ideas on potential wheel to use as a base?

Cheers

Mike

Well I would def do this modification, if I hadn't got  CV1, I have now sold my F1 rim, as it was wasted on my setup, however I would certainly do this if I ever move away from VR

On 08/10/2016 at 11:46 AM, m1ke said:

Hi guys - I completed this mod at the start of the year (complete with a G27 quick release) and am really happy with it. Just wondering if anyone has seen this new beauty from simdisplay: http://www.simdisplay.net/sim-race-lcd-controller

It's an F1 LCD display based on the McLaren PCU-8D by the looks of it (the display the F1 teams have been using since 2014). I'm thinking I'd like to do this mod again with the SIMR-LCD, but not sure of a base wheel to use as I don't think there are any sensibly priced 2014+ style wheels readily available on the market.

Has anyone else seen or considered this new display, and does anyone have any ideas on potential wheel to use as a base?

Cheers

Mike

What holds me back is that you have 2 wires (USB + video) connecting the display to the computer.

Edited by pascalh

On 12/11/2016 at 0:07 PM, pascalh said:

What holds be back is that you have 2 wires (USB + video) connecting the display to the computer.

Good point, I hadn't realised that there was a separate cable required for the video.

That would make it a much trickier job especially for a quick release solution. I'm currently using the Simulaje quick release kit, to connect my modified Thrustmaster F1 wheel to my Logitech G27. it wouldn't be suitable for both USB and video connections.

Edited by m1ke

1 hour ago, m1ke said:

Good point, I hadn't realised that there was a separate cable required for the video.

That would make it a much trickier job especially for a quick release solution. I'm currently using the Simulaje quick release kit, to connect my modified Thrustmaster F1 wheel to my Logitech G27. it wouldn't be suitable for both USB and video connections.

From what I could see, in their latest iteration there is now an additional power supply wire needed  :huh:

My simr-dlx display crapped itself a few months back, it worked for around 5 months. Last week it turned up repaired under warranty. Apparently the mcu pooped itself. It does happen. Nace mentioned that there will be an upgraded mcu in these so says in the near future to fix this occasional issue

Edited by F1Aussie

how do you get all the buttons to work. I have a stock F1 rim, and i can only use 13 buttons total which includes 2 rotary dials. i cannot get the D-pad buttons to work same time with the rotary, they are in overlay. 

On 02/03/2017 at 1:50 PM, 425racer said:

how do you get all the buttons to work. I have a stock F1 rim, and i can only use 13 buttons total which includes 2 rotary dials. i cannot get the D-pad buttons to work same time with the rotary, they are in overlay. 

I'm not using the stock Thrusmaster PCB.

All the inputs are wired to the SIM-R F1 dash.

Edited by pascalh

On 02/03/2017 at 1:51 PM, 425racer said:

how much did you spend total to transform the rim in that state?

Around 400 €

Read chapter 7 for the details

Edited by pascalh

On 06/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, pascalh said:

From what I could see, in their latest iteration there is now an additional power supply wire needed  :huh:

I'm using the Simulaje quick release for the Logitech G27 in my version of this mod. It works brilliantly - no external wiring from the wheel it's all connected through a VGA connector embedded within the quick release system. And you get the G27 buttons when you switch back to the G27 rim.  I've realised though I have 4 spare pins on my quick release base. So am thinking 2 for video and 2 for the 12v ;) I'm going to be doing a Mercedes 2016 F1 wheel mod with the SIMR-LCD and the simulaje quick release. I will keep you posted on how it goes

I started to mod my wheel following this excellent guide. Sadly I'm not allowed to download the decals:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

Could anyone provide the decals again please?

11 hours ago, Starworx said:

I started to mod my wheel following this excellent guide. Sadly I'm not allowed to download the decals:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

Could anyone provide the decals again please?

Article has been updated to repair the link.
You can find the file here

Edited by pascalh

Thank you very much!

This is my progress so far:

IMG_20170810_213853.thumb.jpg.c334bdf3dc6e45bbcd671e187bfecaee.jpg

IMG_20170810_213906.thumb.jpg.c29debd612d2d0a3e4719484767ebdb9.jpg

The plan is to have 2 encoders and 4 rotary switches. But I cut off too much for the display and have to fix it with sugru.

You wrote "the wiring pads should be oriented towards the top or towards the bottom of the wheel, but not towards the side". Is there a reason? Maybe a space problem?

Do I have to remove the PCB with the 3 way switches or can I reuse the wires?

The connectors on my display are different. This is because I have Revision D of the display.

2 hours ago, Starworx said:

You wrote "the wiring pads should be oriented towards the top or towards the bottom of the wheel, but not towards the side". Is there a reason? Maybe a space problem?

Do I have to remove the PCB with the 3 way switches or can I reuse the wires?

The top/bottom orientation was only for 12-way switches in the 2 top locations. Side orientation would interfere with ribs of the lower cover.

With the PCB the 3-way switches become 2 way switches (on - off - on) because both outputs are connected together on the PCB.

1 hour ago, snoups58 said:

Hi 

sorry for my bad english.

very well work.

I prepare my thrustmaster F1 wheel for Direct Drive and i think your post help me.
Thanks a lot :D

I converted this wheel for a direct drive wheel base. I machined the back enclosure and the Thrustmaster hub to mount a 6 x 70mm pattern Q1R quick release.

I there is interest I may write a article explaining how I did it.

Edited by pascalh

10 minutes ago, pascalh said:

I converted this wheel for a direct drive wheel base. I machined the back enclosure and the Thrustmaster hub to mount a 6 x 70mm pattern Q1R quick release.

I there is interest I may write a article explaining how I did it.

Yeah, cool, if you can explain i thank you a lot

i think to choose a F1 type of quick release

Edited by snoups58