Thrustmaster F1 wheel mod with SIMR-F1 display, switches and encoders
11 11

239 posts in this topic

On 13/01/2015 at 6:45 PM, TKaira said:

ah, thats the mistake... damn! I thought that the black one is gnd. thanks fyi :)

Easy fix: just swap out green and black wire on the SIMR-DLX side. As both D-Pads are connected in parallel, both of them should then work  ;)

Edited by pascalh

On 20/03/2015 at 5:09 PM, SergioCarr said:

work of art! very nice work!  8-)

On 20/03/2015 at 6:55 PM, FannBlade said:

Nice work! Very nice tutorial.

Thanks for the time up took putting this up for all of us to drool over.

Thanks for your kind words  ;)

If you need additional details, just post here as I'm still following this thread

Edited by pascalh

On 16/07/2015 at 1:03 PM, oqvist said:

Thanks for the guide. Wanted to try and fix my double shifting due to the worn foam but to no avail. Have you got that problem?

I never experienced any kind of double shifting but had rotary encoder double clicks sometimes. Since I connected all the encoders, shifters, buttons to the SIMR-F1 it never happened again. I would attribute it to a better debouncing in the SIMR-F1 compared to the stock controller.

If you think that the double shifting is due to worn out foam I would suggest you replace it with a piece of earplug foam. This may sound strange but this kind of foam is dampening sound as well as mechanical travel. I used it to remove the loud metallic clicking noise of the shifter paddles.

Edited by pascalh

Hi,

First of all, congrats, Great mod and topic!

So, I have a F1 Ferrari Add On and some buttons is not already working (The button is self-press due to some dust inside) is there someone here that want to sell the buttons that is not using anymore?

I Need "K", "DRS", "N", and "PIT" buttons or all 8 :LOL;

I removed the buttons, but I couldn't open the button to make a clean.

My e-mail: [email protected]

I'm from Brazil and I'd like to enjoy your answers :)

On 02/08/2015 at 6:56 AM, rafathemaster said:

So, I have a F1 Ferrari Add On and some buttons is not already working (The button is self-press due to some dust inside) is there someone here that want to sell the buttons that is not using anymore?

Is a button press displayed even when you are not touching any button or are you experiencing double button clicks / missing clicks ?

The latter is well-know: it is usually due to a bad connection between the wheel and the base through the PS2 connector.

Edited by pascalh

Is a button press displayed even when you are not touching any button or are you experiencing double button clicks / missing clicks ?

The latter is well-know: it is usually due to a bad connection between the wheel and the base through the PS2 connector.

I'm having not touching any button but some of them press by itself.I believe that is a button problem because I had reversed some of them, ex:

KERS Button pressing by itself, I Changed by PL Button and works now

If I could to know how can i open the button case I believe that I could fix this just cleaning all contacts

On 04/08/2015 at 11:30 PM, rafathemaster said:

I'm having not touching any button but some of them press by itself.I believe that is a button problem because I had reversed some of them, ex:

KERS Button pressing by itself, I Changed by PL Button and works now

If I could to know how can i open the button case I believe that I could fix this just cleaning all contacts

Some simracers replaced the stock buttons with high quality buttons. Have a look at the following website: http://www.simdisplay.net/pushbuttons

Edited by pascalh

Great write up pascalh!

I just completed my wheel using your guide, and it worked beautifully! Thanks!

I however have one problem, and it is with regards to the SLIMAX software.

You mentioned that you used the Ferrari 12/way switch to change the SLIMAX configuration file, effectively making the Ferrari knob a multi function knob. To do this you used a SWDRIVINGCTRL option in the SLIMAX manager.

I am unable to find this option in my SLIMAX Manager (Using latest version: v3.4.3.2)

What I have done is make custom labels on my Ferrari knob, as I like them to be more oriented towards iRacing. So the labels say "BB" for Break Balance, "ED" for Entry Diff, "MD" for mid diff, etc etc.,

How I want it to work is that I can for example turn the knob to "BB" and then I can use the +/10 and -/1 buttons to increase or decrease break balance, but if I turn the knob to "TS", I can use the same +/10 and -/1 buttons to increase or decrease theThrottle Shaping.

As far as I understood the SWDRIVINGCTRL function could do this for me, as I could have one configuration file for each position of the Ferrari 12/way switch, and then I could have different BTN to Character functions for the +/10 and -/1 buttons in each configuration file.

Is this possible, or have I missed something?

On 18/08/2015 at 10:07 AM, Sleepy81 said:

Great write up pascalh!

I just completed my wheel using your guide, and it worked beautifully! Thanks!

Glad you found my write-up useful. It would be nice to see some pictures of your build   :D

On 18/08/2015 at 10:07 AM, Sleepy81 said:

I however have one problem, and it is with regards to the SLIMAX software.

You mentioned that you used the Ferrari 12/way switch to change the SLIMAX configuration file, effectively making the Ferrari knob a multi function knob. To do this you used a SWDRIVINGCTRL option in the SLIMAX manager.

I am unable to find this option in my SLIMAX Manager (Using latest version: v3.4.3.2)

What I have done is make custom labels on my Ferrari knob, as I like them to be more oriented towards iRacing. So the labels say "BB" for Break Balance, "ED" for Entry Diff, "MD" for mid diff, etc etc.,

How I want it to work is that I can for example turn the knob to "BB" and then I can use the +/10 and -/1 buttons to increase or decrease break balance, but if I turn the knob to "TS", I can use the same +/10 and -/1 buttons to increase or decrease theThrottle Shaping.

As far as I understood the SWDRIVINGCTRL function could do this for me, as I could have one configuration file for each position of the Ferrari 12/way switch, and then I could have different BTN to Character functions for the +/10 and -/1 buttons in each configuration file.

Is this possible, or have I missed something?

It is possible if not easy:

• First you have to select the switch that you want to use in the advanced options treelist. The tag you have to set is: DISPLAY / CONTROLS / SIMRACEF1 / sw_updown_driving_setup. You couldn't find it because the name of the tag has changed since last year when I wrote my article and this feature is not much documented on the EK website
  • Next you have to build as many configuration files as switch positions you intend to use. If you are using "simracef1_default.cfg" as your configuration file, you have to build "simracef1_driving_setup1.cfg", "simracef1_driving_setup2.cfg" to "simracef1_driving_setup11.cfg" for switch position 2 to 12. The default configuration file will be used for position 0

The easiest way to build these files is to edit the default file with SLIMAX manager and then to copy and rename each variation. In your case "simracef1_default.cfg" would trigger BB up/down on +10/-1 button presses, "simracef1_driving_setup1.cfg" would trigger TS increase/decrease on the same +10/-1 button presses.

Please let us know if it works  ;)

Edited by pascalh

Did as you said, as I found this setting myself the other day. But get an error message when I turn the Ferrari knob saying it can't launch the script or something similar. (Not very specific, I know, but forgot to write down the error message, and I'm away from the computer now)

The only thing I did different is that my base setup is not named "simracef1_default.cfg", but has a custom name. Strange if it has to be only the default setup that can use multifunction configs.

I will try some more tonight.

One picture of the wheel can be found in this thread: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/19174-simetik-cockpit/

Overall happy with it. The labels are not good so will be redone. The CF wrap was ok, but not perfect, but good enough for me, so won't redo that one. :)

Edited by Sleepy81

On 25/08/2015 at 7:46 AM, Sleepy81 said:

Did as you said, as I found this setting myself the other day. But get an error message when I turn the Ferrari knob saying it can't launch the script or something similar. (Not very specific, I know, but forgot to write down the error message, and I'm away from the computer now)

The only thing I did different is that my base setup is not named "simracef1_default.cfg", but has a custom name. Strange if it has to be only the default setup that can use multifunction configs.

I will try some more tonight.

One picture of the wheel can be found in this thread: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/19174-simetik-cockpit/

Overall happy with it. The labels are not good so will be redone. The CF wrap was ok, but not perfect, but good enough for me, so won't redo that one. :)

The script name selection logic is not documented. The only explanation available is with the base setup named "xxx_default.cfg".

I would do the following:

• backup the "simracef1_default.cfg", then rename your custom base setup to check if the script selection logic is hardcoded.
  • if it works, rename the scripts to "customname_default.cfg", "customname_driving_setup1.cfg" and so on. I suspect that the selection logic simply looks for "default" at the end of the script name, replaces it with "driving_setupxx" and tries to load the file.

Let me know  ;)

BTW: your build is really neat

Edited by pascalh

Hello Pascal...

I've been looking to your wiring diagrams for hours, but I can't see or understand how you wired the ground for example.

Can you draw me a example how you managed to go from one single wire to the connector pin and then to another.

I hope that I then will see the light... :wink:

gr. Michel

(sorry for my .....english)

OK, finally got to attacking this problem again. RL gets in the way too often with family and kids... :)

Anyways, I can only get it to work with the default config and the driving setup 1, 2 , 3 etc.

So i have my "simraceF1_default.cfg", and then 11 other files that are loaded upon turning the Ferrari knob. 

When I am outside the sim (iRacing in this case) everything works fine. When I turn the ferrari knob, a popup windows appears teling me the new config has been loaded.

However, when I am inside the sim, it does not work. I get an error message "Exit session prior loading new config", and the new config does not load.

So I can get SLIMAX manager so change config outside the sim, but as soon as a simulation is running that SLIMAX Manager detects, it refuses to change config.

So 2 questiones:

1: How do I get SLIMAX Manager to change config while a simulation session is running?

2: How do I disable the popup telling me the new config has been loaded? (It produces a standard windows popup "ping" sound, that is kind of annoying and unnecessary)

On 12/09/2015 at 10:59 PM, Sleepy81 said:

1: How do I get SLIMAX Manager to change config while a simulation session is running?

2: How do I disable the popup telling me the new config has been loaded? (It produces a standard windows popup "ping" sound, that is kind of annoying and unnecessary)

When I last tried to use this feature, it worked. But this is more than one year back: I don't use it anymore.

I would file a bug report on the eksimracing website. This is the address as it is quite difficult to find on the website: http://www.eksimracing.com/forum/index.php?action=form;n=1

Edited by pascalh

Jupp, figured the only way to get it working as I would like was to pony up the money for gold membership to get support. So the bug is reported on the forums now.

I must say the SLIMAX manager is quite poorly documented. However, zappadoc on the forum is extremely quick to respond, and actually fixes and updates the software very quickly. As an example, I had a suggestion for changing the way you could change information displays, and zappadoc changed the latest beta software within hours to fix the problem I had! Now that is propper customer support, and something Im happy paying a few quids for...

On 12/09/2015 at 11:34 PM, Sleepy81 said:

Jupp, figured the only way to get it working as I would like was to pony up the money for gold membership to get support. So the bug is reported on the forums now.

I must say the SLIMAX manager is quite poorly documented. However, zappadoc on the forum is extremely quick to respond, and actually fixes and updates the software very quickly. As an example, I had a suggestion for changing the way you could change information displays, and zappadoc changed the latest beta software within hours to fix the problem I had! Now that is propper customer support, and something Im happy paying a few quids for...

Yes, on my side I had problems with very high memory use and he fixed it very quickly

Edited by pascalh

On 12/09/2015 at 8:49 PM, MichelH said:

Hello Pascal...

I've been looking to your wiring diagrams for hours, but I can't see or understand how you wired the ground for example.

Can you draw me a example how you managed to go from one single wire to the connector pin and then to another.

I hope that I then will see the light... ;-)

There are basically 2 ways to do it:

• Wiring all ground wires together to a central spot
  • Daisy chaining the ground wire. This means wiring ground from the dash to the first button/switch/encoder, then from the first to the second and so on

The second method is much easier to wire as you only have 2 ground wires on the ground pin of each button/switch/encoder. Alvirus asked this exact same question few pages up and uploaded the following ground wiring diagram to make it clear: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/12982-thrustmaster-f1-wheel-mod-with-simr-f1-display-switches-and-encoders/page-4#entry132536

On this diagram only the ground wiring is drawn. On each button/switch/encoder the wires displayed are soldered together on the ground pin even if they are displayed in differents colors. You can clearly see that each ground pin is only connected to 2 wires.

Edited by pascalh

There are basically 2 ways to do it:

• Wiring all ground wires together to a central spot
  • Daisy chaining the ground wire. This means wiring ground from the dash to the first button/switch/encoder, then from the first to the second and so on

The second method is much easier to wire as you only have 2 ground wires on the ground pin of each button/switch/encoder. Alvirus asked this exact same question few pages up and uploaded the following ground wiring diagram to make it clear: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/12982-thrustmaster-f1-wheel-mod-with-simr-f1-display-switches-and-encoders/page-4#entry132536

On this diagram only the ground wiring is drawn. On each button/switch/encoder the wires displayed are soldered together on the ground pin even if they are displayed in differents colors. You can clearly see that each ground pin is only connected to 2 wires.

Thank you for your help...

I can see how this method works, but not how you established it from connector to another connector (pins).

Probably it isn't that hard, but I can't see it for now (really noob-ish  :unsure:)

On 13/09/2015 at 10:12 AM, MichelH said:

Thank you for your help...

I can see how this method works, but not how you established it from connector to another connector (pins).

Probably it isn't that hard, but I can't see it for now (really noob-ish  :unsure:)

Nothing complicated here.

I simply routed ground wires from one button/switch to the closest neighbour and so on. To avoid dangling wires, all the ground wires are routed through the main harness. So even with a daisy chained ground wiring, each button/switch is physically connected only to the main harness with a sub-harness containing 2 ground wires as can be seen on the wiring diagram.

Edited by pascalh