Thrustmaster F1 wheel mod with SIMR-F1 display, switches and encoders
11 11

239 posts in this topic

Hello Pascal thanks for reply ...... I can not see how the screws lock the axis of the rotary cm ² because the screws are parallel to the switch maybe you used them wounded towards the shaft of the rotary? 

however, if it is so now I understand ...... if you have any better pictures or help me with some design even better .. 

but I have made ​​the classic solution .....

On 14/04/2014 at 7:41 PM, GiuseppeMBG said:

Hello Pascal thanks for reply ...... I can not see how the screws lock the axis of the rotary cm ² because the screws are parallel to the switch maybe you used them wounded towards the shaft of the rotary? 

however, if it is so now I understand ...... if you have any better pictures or help me with some design even better .. 

but I have made the classic solution .....

Here is another pic of the shaft with the knob removed:

1w5xf.jpg

Edited by pascalh

Wow this is a great project! i will try to do the same ... great job and thanks for posting it.

I can´t see 

• Stage 1 wiring diagram??

do you?

Thanks a lot!

Waiting for more... :-P

On 16/04/2014 at 6:13 PM, alvirus said:

Wow this is a great project! i will try to do the same ... great job and thanks for posting it.

I can´t see 

• Stage 1 wiring diagram??

do you?

Thanks a lot!

Waiting for more... :-P

Be prepared to spend some time, but hopefully this writeup will save you some  :)

Chapter 5 is not yet finished  ;)

This evening it should be ready

Edited by pascalh

On 17/04/2014 at 0:46 PM, alvirus said:

Thanks pascalh! I have a question: is there an option to add a free led that turns on when the DRS is pressed (and turn off when released)?

thanks again for your time.

There are 3 leds available on each side of the display. If you need even more, 7 additional leds can be wired to the SIMR-F1 display. I didn't wire any additional leds because for me the 6 built-in leds were enough.

I'm only using iRacing where there is no DRS, but I remember I've seen reference to "DRS engaged" and "DRS allowed" in the SliMax software to turn on and off some leds. I believe these variables are only available in F1 2011 2012 1013

Edited by pascalh

Thanks for your fast response. One more hehehe. For those neophytes in welding wire (like me), how do you weld several wires into one (using the 2.54mm pitch headers).I mean, pe, the stage 2 soldering diagram on the right side buttons all the black ones turn into one and then split into two. Have you got a photo so i can see it. Thanks a lot!

Sorry for my english  :wink: 

On 18/04/2014 at 11:53 AM, alvirus said:

Thanks for your fast response. One more hehehe. For those neophytes in welding wire (like me), how do you weld several wires into one (using the 2.54mm pitch headers).I mean, pe, the stage 2 soldering diagram on the right side buttons all the black ones turn into one and then split into two. Have you got a photo so i can see it. Thanks a lot!

Sorry for my english  ;-) 

For the buttons wiring I did the following:

• On the button side (male connector), I wired each of them to a 2 pin header. So each button can be individually disconnected and removed from the wheel
  • On the wiring loom side, I put all the button connectors together. For 4 buttons per side I needed a 8 pin header per side. I did this to simplify the wiring: on the 8 pin header I put the ground signals side by side. The pattern is then the following:

[s1 G][G S2][s3 G][G S4]

S1-S4 being the 4 digital input and G being ground. The ground wires being next to the other, I just bent the second pin to solder it to the first ground pin. So the connections are:

• Ground from the wiring loom to pin 2
    • Pin 2 to pin 3 with a bent pin 2
    • Pin 2 to pin 6 with a wire
    • Pin 6 to pin 7 with a bent pin 7

On the following picture, look at the 8 pin header just next to the 2 lower buttons on the left. You can see pin 2 and 3, starting from the bottom, connected together by bending pin 2. You can also see the 4 left buttons taking each 2 consecutive pins on the 8 pin header

2zrkllc.jpg

Edited by pascalh

Ciao Pascal chiedo una sola informazione, dal momento che hai postato lo schermo del direttore sli-max 

quando si parla di F1QIFUNCTIONLEFT and F1QIFUNCTIONRIGHT 

cioè due pezzi di informazioni sul display di destra e di sinistra del display premendo un pulsante, volevo chiedere come mai non posso che assegnare un pulsante se il display sono due? vale a dire a destra ea sinistra? o mi manca qualcosa? 

aiutarmi in questo?

On 19/04/2014 at 0:47 PM, GiuseppeMBG said:

Ciao Pascal chiedo una sola informazione, dal momento che hai postato lo schermo del direttore sli-max 

quando si parla di F1QIFUNCTIONLEFT and F1QIFUNCTIONRIGHT 

cioè due pezzi di informazioni sul display di destra e di sinistra del display premendo un pulsante, volevo chiedere come mai non posso che assegnare un pulsante se il display sono due? vale a dire a destra ea sinistra? o mi manca qualcosa? 

aiutarmi in questo?

I wanted to ask how come I can not assign a button if the displays are two?

I don't understand what you mean by "if the displays are two" (se il display sono due).

Anyway, the variables selected for F1QIFUNCTIONLEFT and F1QIFUNCTIONRIGHT will be displayed on the left and right panels when the QI button is depressed. I use it to display current position and laps to go with current fuel.

Edited by pascalh

hello Pascal really know how to work the F1 Quick FUNCTION 

I wanted to know if I can bind a key to the F1QIFUNCTION right and a key to the left F1QIFUNCTION 

seems to me that you can assign a key to both ... I would like to separate them, you know if you Piò do?

On 19/04/2014 at 2:36 PM, GiuseppeMBG said:

hello Pascal really know how to work the F1 Quick FUNCTION 

I wanted to know if I can bind a key to the F1QIFUNCTION right and a key to the left F1QIFUNCTION 

seems to me that you can assign a key to both ... I would like to separate them, you know if you Piò do?

There is only one QI button defined. It is used for both displays

The standard behaviour can perhaps be changed with improved SliMax scripts. I will have a look and let you know

Edited by pascalh

On 19/04/2014 at 3:36 PM, GiuseppeMBG said:

exactly .... if you can let me know 

it would be nice to assign each display (left and right) key for quick information

I think it can be done by scripting but it's a hack because a second quickinfo button can't be defined in the SliMax interface:

First I would define a new variable representing the state of the second QI button

In iracing_common_scripts.lua, change

-- function custom_controlsEvent(deviceType, ctrlType, ctrlPos, value, funcIndex
   -- -- type your custom controls script here (manage buttons, switches and encoders)
   -- return 2
-- end

to

function custom_controlsEvent(deviceType, ctrlType, ctrlPos, value, funcIndex)
   if ctrlType == 1 and ctrlPos == 17 then 
      qi2 = value
   end
   return 2
end

This function is called when a control position is changed. CtrlType==1 means button, CtrlPos==17 is the button number, change it as needed. The qi2 variable should then reflect the button pressed state

Then I would use this variable in the script where the QI button is processed

In simracef1.lua, change

-- check if quick info button is down
local qi = false
qi = GetContextInfo("quickinfobutton")
if qi == nil or qi == 0 then qi = false end
if qi then
   -- get index for left and right panel
   local qiInf = 1
   if side == 0 then
      qiInf = GetContextInfo("quickinfoleft")
   else
      qiInf = GetContextInfo("quickinforight")
   end
   if qiInf == nil then qiInf = 1 end
   -- force position to match QI preference
   swValue = qiInf
end

to

-- check if quick info button is down
local qi = false

qi = GetContextInfo("quickinfobutton")
if qi == nil or qi == 0 or side == 1 then
   qi = false
end
if qi then
   -- get index for left panel
   local qiInf = 1
   qiInf = GetContextInfo("quickinfoleft")
   if qiInf == nil then
      qiInf = 1
   end
   swValue = qiInf
end

qi = true
if qi2 == nil or qi2 == 0 or side == 0 then
   qi = false
end
if qi then
   -- get index for right panel
   local qiInf = 1
   qiInf = GetContextInfo("quickinforight")
   if qiInf == nil then
      qiInf = 1
   end
   swValue = qiInf
end
The standard QI button would then only display the left QI variable on the left panel. The right panel would display the right QI variable when the new QI2 button is pressed
I haven't tested this hack, so be careful to backup everything before any change
Edited by pascalh

On 19/04/2014 at 3:52 PM, Steve Spenceley said:

Awesome post and awesome wheel. Thank you for sharing all the details. I love the result!

Thanks  :D

Edited by pascalh

Pascala I see you are very technical and prepared on the computer but I'm not so good to do these things ... 

I thought it was simpler: (

if you have an account gold / silver on eksimracing can suggest Zappadoc a separate integration of the display when you press two separate buttons for quick information

On 20/04/2014 at 0:47 PM, GiuseppeMBG said:

Pascala I see you are very technical and prepared on the computer but I'm not so good to do these things ... 

if you have an account gold / silver on eksimracing can suggest Zappadoc a separate integration of the display when you press two separate buttons for quick information

No, I only have the bronze member account I got when I bought the SIMR-F1 display. But scripting with the LUA language is not that difficult, and it allows quite a lot of tuning of the displayed data to your needs. For example, I changed the laptimes from 1.23.4 to 23.45 as I prefer to see the 1/100s digit instead of the minutes digit

Edited by pascalh

On 20/04/2014 at 0:47 PM, GiuseppeMBG said:

I will check the modified scripts as soon as possible. If it works, I will send you the new files so you just have to overwrite the base files

Edited by pascalh