Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2010-2011-2012-2013... Sense of speed going down every year?

5 posts in this topic

Why ruin the essence of racing?!

Hell, I predict that in 5 years, going to the grocery store will be more intense than racing a Codemasters' F1 game (which is the exact reason why I've practically abandoned GT5 since weeks).
At least I'm on PS3, and I've heard the sense of speed was better for PS3 than for PC. Don't know why, but that's what's saving it for me. Pretty sure I'll buy it, that's my last chance to race online in an F1 game on PS3 anyway.

The head bobbing and moving forward and back with accel/decel. Has no effect on sense of speed for me at all. Just looks like stuff on the screen that gets in the way of me seeing the next turn.

Blur effect is only seen when made in an image. It is not present in real life. Except when some of us take off our glasses.

No, I mean... just the sense of speed. I wasn't thinking about head bobbing or even blur effect. Just the fact that everything was sharp in F1 2010 and now everything is smooth and soft and everything has rounded edges greatly diminishes the sense of speed. It seems like game developers are heading for this because it looks "modern" that way (because, well, it's the opposite of old, pixelated games), but man, that's too much! Even the grass looks like it has been softened to prevent people from being hurt by the sharp points. Sharp edges EXIST in real life. I'll take GTR2 or WRC3-like pixelated panoramas over games where I feel like I could caress the asphalt (and grass, and rumble strips) anytime. You know, the sense of speed improved from GT5 to GT6 because they got rid of the antialiasing!

I don't know, maybe it's YouTube compression, maybe I'll hyperventilate when doing over 300 at Spa in F1 2013, but it doesn't seem like it in YouTube videos, and the sense of speed is not realistic in the F1 2012 PS3 demo I have either (even when doing 340kmh at Monza).