Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to Turn 10 - What Should I Ask ?

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Heading over to Turn 10, the developers of the Forza Motorsport Series, this Thursday for a behind the scenes tour and some interviews.What would you like me to ask in the interviews? I may have access to the following individuals:

Dan Greenawalt

Alan Hartman

John Wendl

Also some guys from the dev team.

I have some questions that I plan to ask as well.. Would be great to hear from the community and I'll mention your name :smile:

Thanks !

Q1: How long did you plan the ability of moving to the next gen with Forza Motorsport 5? Was it a no-brainer, or did it require some thought?

Q2: Who did you plan Forza for? Hardcore guys? Casual guys? Was the goal to make it realistic, or possible for anyone to enjoy it?

Q3: How long did you work on the game?

>Cheers!< J.A.R.V.I.S.

I apologize for my opinionated response here but the harcore Forza and Forza PC questions don't make too much sense.  Microsoft uses Turn 10 (which is wholly owned by Microsoft) to drive xbox sales-- losing exclusivity is like shooting yourself in the foot so it will never go to the PC unless xbox is no longer a separate platform at some point in the future.  And asking about a harcore Forza will only be insulting to Turn 10-- they have said many many times that Forza is a full sim when all aids are tuned off.

to replace the "hardcore" question I might offer this one:   "Are we going to see qualifying rounds and race weekends at some point in the future?"

I like the night, 24 hour and weather wuestions from above.  I would add a bit to the night/24 hour question with this:  Does the Xbox One have the power to allow fantastic looking lighting like you have in Forza 5 but created dynamically so we can have a 24 hour cycle? 

The tracks look fantastic in Forza 5, what is the plan for more tracks?  Which ones that are not included are their personal favorites for the future?   Can we have COTA please!

I miss the feature in race lobbies to select the exact cars that the AI are using ... can this come back? 

Drivatar really does seem like the first advance in AI in a long time... how are they planning on improving it for the future?

1. Future DLC. I'm interested in their plans for additional tracks, and of course, I expect more car packs.

2. "Hard Core" mode: As mentioned above, full (or even abbreviated) race weekends, qualifying, and longer races (10-20 laps, 30 minutes to two hours). Three to eight lap races are not realistic at all, and starting drivers at the back of the grid and forcing them to practice poor racecraft to "fight" or "plow" their way to the front (or make it easy for them) is very bad practice. It's something many drivers have to "unlearn" when they switch over to something like iRacing.

3. How do they feel about long-time fans of Forza who would like to "upgrade" to Forza 5 and an Xbox One, but can't or won't because, being the fans that they were, invested a lot of money in wheels, pedals, and shifters for Forza 4 that are not compatible with Xbox One? I know it's not Turn 10's "department," and I don't place blame on them (though some on M$), but I'm not the only long-time fan that isn't enjoying Forza 5 right now (with my online racing leagues constantly asking me "when?"). Still watching to see if a "solution" emerges that wouldn't require re-investing another $1,200 or more just for Forza 5.

4. Because I don't own Forza 5, I'm not sure about this, but weren't some of the online and customization features (paint, decals) lost in Forza 5? I've only heard this second hand, so I don't have all the details.

5. Endurance races, career and online?

6. Online endurance races with teams and driver swaps?

7. Online career and rating systems? Is it possible?

To be honest I wasn't that interested in Forza 5 until I watched Darin's videos on it with the 1st hour show (which was great, I wish you all had done more like that in the past), to the review and test drives and the vs GT6 Viper video.  If I didn't have a PS4 already, I would be tempted to get an Xbox One.   I'm disappointed Turn 10 never sent you a media Xbox One and you and Shaun had to scramble to buy one.  I don't think there is any excuse for them not to have sent you one.  You have covered their games since the first SRT shows more than any other outlet does.  What makes it all the more puzzling to me is I remember seeing several YouTuber's who have channels where they live commentate their playthroughs get pre-release PS4's as well as every launch game from Sony at an event in NYC a week or 2 before the release.  I remember one guy in particular who is a solo operation who commentates as he plays sports games.  Sony saw the importance of the community of gamers along with outlets like IGN and Gamespot.  Turn 10 and MS should have seen ISR's importance to the community of sim and game racers and made sure you had an Xbox One at launch.  

Anyhow, off my soap box   :)

Mainly I would like to know:

"Top Gear" Questions:

1)  Will Forza 5 (or any future Xbox One version) get support for triple screens the way the Xbox 360 did for those Forza games.  Is it even possible with the Xbox One?

2)  Are any Forza tracks laser scanned?

3)  Does Turn 10 get any real physics data from manufactures and/or race teams of their officially licensed cars like the Lotus F1 car or the DW12 Indycar?

"60 Minutes" Question:  How can sim racers or wheel-using game racers who spent hundreds on official Forza wheels for the Xbox 360 be expected to trust Turn 10 and Microsoft again after they left those wheel owners out in the cold with Forza 5 and the Xbox One, while at the same time Sony and the PS4 continue the gamer-friendly policies of allowing wheels that worked with the PS3 to be used on the PS4?  

-- Bobby

When are more tracks going to be released for Forza 5? When do they plan to release The Nurburgring? Motegi? COTA? etc? Are there any plans to get back to the number of tracks that Forza 4 had?

Since there is an obvious backlash from fans on microtransactions? Are there plans to remove that feature? Or is that here to stay?

Why aren't there more wheel options for the Xbox 1? What's taking the Madcatz version so long? Why hasn't Fanatec made an announcement?

Since "Microsoft vows 'renewed focus' on PC games"... has there been any talk about Forza for PC?   ;)

Exactly DjFIL. I have heard a lot of hot air from Microsoft in the past about the same PC and Xbox games sharing the Live online community, yet nothing much happened.  Meanwhile Steam is literally steaming ahead on PC but there are few titles offering a Forza/GT type experience on the PC.

Great questions guys.. Not sure I'll be able to ask all of them or how tomorrow will go exactly, but I have them printed out in case the opportunity arises. One thing I'm going there for is to talk about "wheel support" with them. So.. I'll do what i can !  Thanks for the questions.

Great questions guys.. Not sure I'll be able to ask all of them or how tomorrow will go exactly, but I have them printed out in case the opportunity arises. One thing I'm going there for is to talk about "wheel support" with them. So.. I'll do what i can !  Thanks for the questions.

To be polite enough with them you can transform my questions like :" Community asks when will be able to map buttons for wipers and headlights?":)

Trip to Turn 10 was AWESOME !  Asked a lot of your questions and they gave me some great answers. Also got to check out the next DLC that's coming and it's in a word.. INCREDIBLE !  That's all I can share about it.. lol

Thanks for your questions as they made for a great interview. I sat down Alan Hartman and Dan Greenawalt and they opened up to a lot of your questions. My show will post on April 10th due to discussion of the new content. 

Also got to hang out with John Wendl and Brian Eckberg and meet a lot of other people from the team who are avid ISR watchers. The team that works on FFB asked for my advice on it and took notes.  What a great trip it was and a really cool group of guys to hang out with !

I look forward to the show.   Have seen other interviews with Turn 10 and they seem really passionate about what they do.  Its a shame they have to take the brunt of any community anger of things like Fanatec wheel compatibility with Xbox One when its obviously out of their control at Microsoft.  But that is the nature of the beast.  They are the face put forward so they get the glory and the heat.  

I look forward to the show.   Have seen other interviews with Turn 10 and they seem really passionate about what they do.  Its a shame they have to take the brunt of any community anger of things like Fanatec wheel compatibility with Xbox One when its obviously out of their control at Microsoft.  But that is the nature of the beast.  They are the face put forward so they get the glory and the heat.  

I talked about this in detail with them behind the scenes and during the interview. It is a shame they take the heat for it (Fanatec debacle) because it's really totally out of their hands. Funny how no one mentions Fanatec dropping the ball on it and are quick to blame Turn 10 and MS. (My take on it by the way, not what they said).  They did mention that they are the faces of the franchise though and understand why they take the heat. 

Turn 10 don`t have connection with decission of MS for peripherals, which decission for Fanatec I support....this company must understand that with poor quality , poor customer service , 100 pieces quantity on stock and after that you must wait months...they dont have place on the big makrket...sorry to bashing them but its all true....the CEO dont have dignity to confest that Fanatecs will not work on Xbox 1 and lied to the last moment that he dont know they will work or not...do you believe guys he dont know? But lets sell few GT2 and CSR  ... Darin I cant believe that you work for/with them!

I don't really mean to put any "heat" on Turn-10. I'm certain there's many factors that are beyond their control when it comes to wheel compatibility.

I'm sure Fanatec is partly to blame for this, but I place Microsoft as the primary culprit. A primary example--their planned "attempt" to "license" even USED games when they unveiled the Xbox One. In the end, Sony bashed the crap out of them later that day (with most of the crowd at the Sony event standing and cheering), and M$ backpedaled the next day.

Even if Fanatec is in "trouble" with M$ for some reason (such as not "delivering" enough wheels, poor performance, not honoring a licensing agreement, and more importantly, not paying up the precious money to M$), this all starts with Microsoft. Maybe they have good reason for "punishing" Fanatec, but not only are they ALSO punishing long time fans of Forza, they want them to pay MORE. Every Thrustmaster TX or MadCatz wheel that sells with that Xbox One button on it results in more revenue for M$.

I know a company needs to license products, and collect from them, and in the video game industry, it's where most of the profit is generated.

But as far as M$ is concerned, it places licensing and money first... and then, somewhere in the equation, they need customers to supply the money.

One time, I was actually told by a M$ representative that I should feel "lucky" that I was "able" to pay $65 for some downloadable content. This was his response when I called because I wanted credit back, because that EXACT content was discounted to $14 just seven hours later. So I guess I was being told that I should be happy I can afford to pay that amount, and that I should be dumb enough not to get upset, and I should be a happy M$ customer.

As I've said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and watching for something to emerge that will allow me to use my current Fanatec setup. I AM NOT spending $1,200 or more just for Forza 5 for a completely new setup (or nearly new if I can keep my pedals and shifter). I do like what Turn 10 has been doing with the Forza series, and I would love to experience Forza 5 (as long as the micro transactions don't ruin it for me). It's just too bad they're caught up in all this, and I will likely move on to something else.

You are right ! No doubt MS is a greedy monster:) But to make money MS  choose better partners:)

I also have CSR and  GT2 wheels  and it will be better to work on Xb1 ,but  next gen consoles are different  like hardware, and they need new controlers.Yes you will say this is ,because MS want to make more money. Yes maybe for this reason we have iPhones , not using pigeons to send messages:) Damn Aplle wants our money:)

To blame that MS dont have respect for Forza 2,3,4 fans is the same like to say that in 90`s Sony dont have respect for Guns`N`Roses fans and starts to produce CD`s not audio cassetes, and fans needs to buy CD player.

But this is a good thing for Fanatec - I am sure they develope new wheels now , and after the first wave which they missed - maybe on the second Fanatec will be back again.