Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me enjoy rFactor 2

7 posts in this topic

So Ive had the game for a few months now.. I downloaded the game and a handful of cars.. I got a Corvette race car. a 350z race car. and a GoCart and 2 other cars... .... I dont know what it is... I just cant get into it.. I know its a mod heavy game so Im sure there are plug-ins that make the game better?  Or maybe I just need to find the right cars...     

I should add Im not much of a "gamer"..  I never thought I would have a gaming PC but then I found Simracing. Im damn computer savvy I just dont know much about gaming.     But like Ive said, I have downloaded a few few cars and got them working.  But maybe they are just crapy mod created cars.     My main ride is a Miata in iRacing. I dig that stock car type racing. So maybe point me to your favorite factory car? and where you got it.  Where are good places to get mods? where are bad places to get them?

And also Wheel, and Graphics settings...    The wheel I just cant get to feel realistic. Im using a Fanatec CSR forza wheel.     And with graphics Im running a GTX550i  and I cant get it set up right..  First the graphics are sub par but for some reason tax my video card like it never has been... I run asseto corsa, iRacing, grid2, and Eurotruck sim at full graphics with no hiccups. but I get one AI car in rfactor 2 and I get like 20 FPS..  whats up with that?   And when Im in a menu I have this high pitched squeal coming from the speakers. I dont know if this is some weird thing my PC or soundsystem is doing but its freaking creepy sounds lol...   Just not a pleasurable experience I'm having with the game. But I see so many people in love with it. there has to be something Im doing wrong. So this is me saying.. Help!  lol   

I actually got it working pretty good today and had some fun with it. Have you downloaded all the content that ISI created for it ? You may like the FWD Honda since you like "stock type cars".  Thats what I was running today. 

What are your PC specs and what are your wheel settings out of game and in game ?

It took me a bit to get it dialed in to get decent FPS settings, but it still isn't as good graphically as iRacing or Assetto. Im barely able to keep it above 60 FPS. 

GoKart? ISI are working on a gokart, but it's not released yet... Is it perhaps the Skip Barber you're refering to?

Here are ISI's (the official) cars: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/

The Corvette is a full blown GT beast, try the Camaro for a slightly more "road'ish" GT car, or as Darin said, the BTCC Honda! Sure it's front wheel drive, but it's absolutely brilliant fun, esp. in in multiplayer. The Megane is really quick, though, we're still in the realm of purpose built race cars... The Clio is actually a lot of fun as well.

Regarding graphics, rF2 looks damn nice when you have a monster computer, but it demands a lot of hardware! Dump settings, esp. shadows, AA and details really low and slowly dial upwards. (the squeel btw is that the fps in menus go up so high it creates something like coil whine, will hopefully be sorted, but can fixed by capping max fps to like 200) 

Make sure that your wheel is set to max rotation in windows, and in game, set it to match rotation with each car, turn off assists! and keep steering linear. The FF in rF2 isn't quite like other sims, it's not filtered or smoothed, has no canned effects, it's rough and edgy and... wonderful :) (though it might take some getting used to)

I actually got it working pretty good today and had some fun with it. Have you downloaded all the content that ISI created for it ? You may like the FWD Honda since you like "stock type cars".  Thats what I was running today. 

What are your PC specs and what are your wheel settings out of game and in game ?

It took me a bit to get it dialed in to get decent FPS settings, but it still isn't as good graphically as iRacing or Assetto. Im barely able to keep it above 60 FPS. 

hmm   I downloaded it a few months ago so Im not totally sure.. Ill have to check..   My PC specs are    i3 processor  16gb ram, and the GTX 550i 1gb video ram.   Monitor is a 26" samsung 1ms.            But reading and hearing your problems on the new isrt vid, Im sure its just the game is just hard on video as I'm also running any other game just fine.    Ill just have to tune it a bit.   

My wheel settings are normally about 400 degrees. 100 FFB during most games. and well, everything else feels good zero'd out.  But with rFactor Ive done a bit of tweaking to the wheel and gave up and just lowered the FFB. To think about it I dont think I tuned the ingame settings at all.  I never found a car I liked enough to know how I wanted it to feel. So Ill have to look around on the ISI page... Is that the main page for Downloads? Lots of good content Im assuming?    Thanks for the advice boss!

GoKart? ISI are working on a gokart, but it's not released yet... Is it perhaps the Skip Barber you're refering to?

Here are ISI's (the official) cars: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/

The Corvette is a full blown GT beast, try the Camaro for a slightly more "road'ish" GT car, or as Darin said, the BTCC Honda! Sure it's front wheel drive, but it's absolutely brilliant fun, esp. in in multiplayer. The Megane is really quick, though, we're still in the realm of purpose built race cars... The Clio is actually a lot of fun as well.

Regarding graphics, rF2 looks damn nice when you have a monster computer, but it demands a lot of hardware! Dump settings, esp. shadows, AA and details really low and slowly dial upwards. (the squeel btw is that the fps in menus go up so high it creates something like coil whine, will hopefully be sorted, but can fixed by capping max fps to like 200) 

Make sure that your wheel is set to max rotation in windows, and in game, set it to match rotation with each car, turn off assists! and keep steering linear. The FF in rF2 isn't quite like other sims, it's not filtered or smoothed, has no canned effects, it's rough and edgy and... wonderful :) (though it might take some getting used to)

Well the Cart I have is electric. Not sure where I found it. I wasnt sure at first where to get good content. So who knows where I found it.Ill be checking out the cars you recommended..  I guess I should have said Im not exactly partial to the lower HP cars but the Miata in iRacing just feels good.. The Mustang is a blast to get powersliding around the tracks. But it feels like if I'm not driving it ass heavy it pushes hard though the turns. So I like the response  and consistency of the little Miata.  So if you know so sweet v8 cars that are mild but handle well. You can throw them on the list..           thanks for clearing up that squeal. glad I'm not the only one with that problem. Im sure Ill smooth that out when I'm adjusting my graphics then..

. I appreciate the help guys.  

hmm   I downloaded it a few months ago so Im not totally sure.. Ill have to check..   My PC specs are    i3 processor  16gb ram, and the GTX 550i 1gb video ram.   Monitor is a 26" samsung 1ms.            But reading and hearing your problems on the new isrt vid, Im sure its just the game is just hard on video as I'm also running any other game just fine.    Ill just have to tune it a bit.   

My wheel settings are normally about 400 degrees. 100 FFB during most games. and well, everything else feels good zero'd out.  But with rFactor Ive done a bit of tweaking to the wheel and gave up and just lowered the FFB. To think about it I dont think I tuned the ingame settings at all.  I never found a car I liked enough to know how I wanted it to feel. So Ill have to look around on the ISI page... Is that the main page for Downloads? Lots of good content Im assuming?    Thanks for the advice boss!

Well the Cart I have is electric. Not sure where I found it. I wasnt sure at first where to get good content. So who knows where I found it.Ill be checking out the cars you recommended..  I guess I should have said Im not exactly partial to the lower HP cars but the Miata in iRacing just feels good.. The Mustang is a blast to get powersliding around the tracks. But it feels like if I'm not driving it ass heavy it pushes hard though the turns. So I like the response  and consistency of the little Miata.  So if you know so sweet v8 cars that are mild but handle well. You can throw them on the list..           thanks for clearing up that squeal. glad I'm not the only one with that problem. Im sure Ill smooth that out when I'm adjusting my graphics then..

. I appreciate the help guys.  

I would put your wheel at 900 degrees of rotation. rFactor 2 like iRacing will adjust per car. Im also not familiar with the Fanatec profiler settings anymore, you may want to adjust there as well. Do they have damper or center spring settings ? I turn center spring off and reduce damper to about 4% in both Logitech and Thrustmaster software profiles. 

I just got the new Panoz that ISI released today and that thing is a BLAST !!  Drift machine and you can catch it and wrangle it in like a real car. One of the best feeling physics / tire models when it comes to catching a slide Ive ever felt

Try the new karts.. I'm from Quebec and race at this track all the time... You can't imagine how accurate isi is with their physics...

they say karting is purest form of racing and rf2 shines in everyway. They have prooved that there is no gimmicks when it comes to ISI

I am a total noob when it comes to sim-racing and competative racing in general.  I Primarily do flight simulation, but since I have a powerful PC and Track IR, I figured why not give sim-racing a shot, so I got a t500rs.

I have GSC 2013, Assetto Corsa, and RF2.

RF2 gets played by me by far the most, more even than my flight sim.  I just love the way the driving feels, espescially after dialing in my FFB.  The graphics are good and stay above 60fps, and the sense of motion feels right.  I say "feel" alot because I have no idea what real performance driving is like having never been to a track.

I am curently driving the slower cars at only one track(Lime Rock) to get the priciples of performance driving and racing down, and having a great time doing it. 

I wish there was like a published perfomance driving/racing curriculum where you could learn things in a staged manner.