Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jarvis' F1 2013 FOV Change Tutorial

5 posts in this topic

I have finally found out how to change the FOV in F1 2013 with the help of a good friend of mine!

I would first like to thank Milos Ancevski from RaceDepartment for giving me the basic guide of what to do.

So let's get going!

First of all, you are going to need some software. Ryder's Fergo BinXML and WinRar or Winzip. Both are free if you use the trial version of WinRar or Winzip. Links will be given later on.

Go to http://petar.outer-heaven.net/downloads/ and scroll down. Click the link under "Version".

post-13451-0-38094900-1394981633_thumb.j

Let it download. After that, to open the file, you will need either WinRar or Winzip. For the free trial check: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm . If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, click the 32 bit one. If you have the 64 bit version, click the 64 bit one. Then install it.

When that is done, open the file you got from downloading the Fergo BinXML application. This is what you should see.

post-13451-0-29497500-1394981635_thumb.j

Click the Fergo BinXML.exe application. This is what you'll see:

post-13451-0-42088000-1394981637_thumb.j

Click "Add Files".

Now comes the tricky part. You will have to locate the cameras.xml file of the car which FOV you want to change.

post-13451-0-09318700-1394981639_thumb.j

Depending on what car you want to do this on, you'll have to open a different folder at Program Files (86x) \ common \ f12013 \ cars \ ?????. Here's a list for the different cars.

????? :

ca2 = Caterham

fc2 = Force India
fe2 = Ferrari
lr2 = Lotus
ma2 = Marussia
mc2 = McLaren
me2 = Mercedes
rb2 = Red Bull (you'll see that I am doing Red Bull for this example)
sa2 = Sauber
tr2 = Toro Rosso
wi2 = Williams

Click the cameras.xml file (located after the "track" folder). Then click "open".

post-13451-0-82680200-1394983437_thumb.j

As you can see, the top one has been changed now with the wanted file. I have also already chosen where the file will be located afterwards. This is the one that is on the left side of the "..." and "Convert!". For that one, just choose any place where you know you will find the new text file. I decided to put it in a folder called "F1 2013 Change FOV". It's a folder I can easily find, and it's a folder with no hassle needed to locate the specific file. Just put something that's easy to locate.

Now you're ready to click "Convert!". Go to that folder where it was saved, and you should see a file labeled without an .xml extension. Double click this.

Here comes the key part. This is where you will change the FOV. Your screen should first look like this:

post-13451-0-82191600-1394981646_thumb.j

Note at the start it says <View type="Mounted" ident="bumper_ss" .........

You have to find one that says <View type="Head" ident="head-cam" ....... (the dots represented all the lines on the left side, can't be bothered to list all of them. I think you get the idea though). It's about one thirds through the file. This is the cockpit cam. You can use the other ones, but I think that most of us are using the cockpit cam, and I think that is the only desired camera for changing the FOV on.

post-13451-0-34419400-1394981650_thumb.j

To choose your desired FOV, edit the ????? mark on the

<Parameter name="fov" type="scalar" value="??????"

This indicates your FOV. Right now it's about 55, change it to your desired value. In my case, 45.

post-13451-0-68695500-1394981660_thumb.j

Now open the Fergo BinXML again.

post-13451-0-91362100-1394984348_thumb.j

Go and choose the now edited text file on the top one, and choose the place you want the XML (the type of file that Codemasters use, it can't be edited, that's why it had to be changed to text format) file to go to. I recommend the same place where you put the previous text file. In my case, the "F1 2013 Change FOV" folder which I created.

post-13451-0-18563800-1394981665_thumb.j

Then when you have done this, you should see both files like this. (If you installed them to the same folder you installed the text folder to).

Now all you have to do to complete this, is to copy the XML file you just created, and you have to put that into the Program Files 86x \ Steam \ SteamApps \ common \ f12013 \ cars \ ????? (See the list I made to see where you'll put it. Though you had to choose this okay, so I don't think it will be a problem.)

It will ask whether you want to replace the old cameras.xml file. Now, do first copy the old file and leave it somewhere safe, so that if you have a problem after this, and the game acts weirdly, you can install the old one and this should get you back in contact with the driving. After the backup, click "Replace the file in the destination". Note, you have to change the FOV of all the cars. I don't think that the cameras.xml files are interchangeable. Not sure, but will test it out someday and report back. That would make the job much easier. Also, I have not tested this with triple screens, so I don't know how those will act. There should be no problems though.

post-13451-0-05173200-1394981667_thumb.j

If you are interested to see, this is how mine turned out.

Old view:

post-13451-0-17172100-1394981677_thumb.j

New view:

post-13451-0-47407700-1394981674_thumb.j

(I couldn't get the menu off since it didn't allow me to use my "camera" while in-game... Steam also made my pictures look tiny so that's why I didn't use it.)

I would highly appreciate a like since this took very long to do. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I can also make a custom one for all the cars if you really don't want to do this. Just tell me your desired FOV in a PM. Have fun editing the files ;)

>Cheers!< J.A.R.V.I.S.

Nice!, i'll give this ago when my F1 wheel turns up. Is there yet a way to hide the in car wheel?

CHEERS! :D

Don't know... I think it may be possible since you can edit the shape of the steering wheel, but other than that, I'm not sure. I know you can lock it though...

>Cheers!< J.A.R.V.I.S.

Nice tutorial, but...what do you mean by "I couldn't get the menu off since it didn't allow me to use my "camera" while in-game"?

You are not able to use it while in-game? When are you able then? :???:

Sorry if I misunderstood it.

Nice tutorial, but...what do you mean by "I couldn't get the menu off since it didn't allow me to use my "camera" while in-game"?

You are not able to use it while in-game? When are you able then? :???:

Sorry if I misunderstood it.

I have to put it in windowed mode to use it... For some reason this opens up the menu. And F12 makes the pictures look tiny. Snipping tool was all I could use easily.

>Cheers!< J.A.R.V.I.S.