Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rFactor 2 NVidia GTX 780 ti Settings Please Help !

18 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me get rFactor 2 running decently with the new GTX 780 ti I just received. I'm trying to run in triple screens and want the most fluid experience possible. I can live without eye candy, but I'm honestly getting really frustrated trying to get this title running decently. Not having this problem at all in AC or iR. 

I went from the dual 580 GTX cards I had to this new 780 ti and Im not seeing that big of a difference in performance and or stuttering. I'm trying to run with triple monitors, went to the rFactor 2 forums and my brain almost exploded trying to decipher what is the best settings. NVidia inspector, profiler, in game, etc, etc.. 

Can someone hook me up with settings in laymans terms so I can get this running without stutters ? Or point me to a thread in the rF2 forums that doesn't include paragraphs of trial and error. It may help some others as they attempt to get rF2 running as well. 

I want to produce a show about rF2, but am really frustrated.

Your help is greatly appreciated !

Darin

Hehe, I sure can relate to the "exploding head syndrome" reading through those graphics threads. I guess it's default when a title is still changing (seen the same effect in other games' forums). I set everything very low, and slowly moved up, but now there are so many threads and discussions...

Now, I'm an ATI-user myself, but let's see if I can give at least a decent baseline setting.

First, in config menu (started from launcher)
Sync = none (percieved microstutter could come from this depending on how fps and screen refresh match, testing other sync options could be needed)
AA = 4x to start with
FXAA = off
HDR = I have to leave it off to stay over 60 fps, but it sure look nice with it on. Test with both on and off, 
Multiview = personally I prefer on, but if you're not using it on other titles, leave it off here too.

Inside the game I'd then go for (still, as a base setting):
The first four "detail" settings detail: medium (you can probably run high, but to keep you away from stutters.. 
Texture filter X4
Special effects and shadows: medium (shadows is the heaviest, so if you're raising settings, let shadows wait. 
Sun occlusion, rain drops: yes
Reflection (both road and env.): low

Also, I turned "auto detail fps" off, I got better results with all manual settings.
Good luck with this, and congrats on a nice new piece of hardware (a bit envious)! I genuinely hope you get it smooth so you can get to feel this sim as it should be. 

It's a bit worrying that you still suffer from the same issues with a 780ti as with SLI, single card is super smooth (though set quite low) for me, and my card is quite a bit slower than yours. 

(EDIT: regarding sync options, here's a short explanation to them:
  • Software sync uses a timer to draw frames based on your refresh rate. In other words, you could compare it with a software VSync.
  • GPU sync is a UI element for the PLR's "Flush Previous Frame" setting. This setting is not recommended for SLI.
  • Video sync is actually the good old VSync option (notice that the usual VSync checkbox is now missing).
  • None means it will behave like the previous build, without VSync enabled

My first option is "none", but if you get tearing, try others, I suppose video would be my second guess)

Go to the Nvidia 3D settings page and select the ( Program Settings) tab.

remove the checkmark from ( show only programs from this computer ).

then scroll down the list of games to find rFactor 2 in the list.

then go down the list of settings and make sure that SLI rendering is configured to a (single GPU)

take a look at these settings.

post-2504-0-09130700-1394716026_thumb.jp

post-2504-0-63675600-1394716052_thumb.jp

Bit of a long read but hopefully some insight that's worth your time.

Here are some things I found though being on the RF2 beta since it became available, I was running a 980x at 4.2 Ghz and 3x580 cards, that was the top gulftown back in late 2010.

I basically did not play RF2 at at all as it was pretty much unplayble imo from a FPS pov unless I scaled it down to RF1 quality and in that case why bother so I didn't go back to it until literally the past 2 weeks.

I ended up with my centre card going bad probably due to too much heat in a tri SLI so I bit the bullet and put in 3 780ti cards using watercooling in SLI instead this time, I kept my cpu as it was but I did quickly notice that it was bottlenecking.

A good way to test if you have a cpu bottleneck is to use something like Unigine Valley, basically my fps with eveything at a minimum or everything at a maximum was identical, clearly the cards were waiting for my cpu and you can graph this as well using other tools at the same time like msi afterburner to graph card loads, so you may want to check if you are really getting the most from your 780ti on your current cpu there Darrin. 

So not happy with the fact that I wasn't really getting the most out of my cards I upgraded to a 4960x which I now have clocked stabiliy at 4.7ghz also on water.

If you look at my hw specs I'm not meaning to blow my own horn but that's pretty much the highest end setup you can buy yourself today and I only point this out to make the point that even with all this much power RF2 is STILL giving me LOW FPS.

Yes it has become playalabe at least for me now but here's the evidence which for me points to the bottleneck being RF2 itself.

I can increase the settings for rfactor beyond it's limitations using Nvidia Inspector or even using the standard Nvidia control panel, and regardless of whether I use 2xAA or 16xQuality AA my FPS is pretty much the same, so my PC can handle it just fine otherwise increasing the graphics settings should cause the framerate to keep getting worse in RF2 but it doesn't.

And RF2 itself btw has it's in game graphics maxed as well here.

Now when I say low FPS in this case I get  between 40-60 FPS with only myself on the track using CTRL-F in Rfactor to keep track of it.  It does at least feel smooth though, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 50 and 60 fps if I didn't see the counter, for most people that's acceptable for me that's acceptable but not good enough for what I would expect to get returned given my underlying hardware.  Oh this is running at 5870x1080 on triple 27" 120hz monitors and multiview which I guess matters as well.

Quick note on multiview, I always found that to be an FPS killer on my previous rig so badly I didn't use it, here it makes no difference to my FPS at all, not a single digit, not sure if this again points to the RF2 bottleneck or this was improved in the later releases of RF2.

Stutter is generally ok as well but I know what you mean, RF2 even when your FPS is ok can have this effect where the track and objects pass by smoothly but the distant scenery seems to have this microstutter.

So yes I can play RF2 now, I really enjoy the classic Formula type cars but another kick in the gut is when you "race", in other words where you have other drivers on the track, at Belgium in the starting grid with only 9 other AI my FPS drops down to 35, I can guarantee you that the first few hundred metres here are frustratingly chugging until I go back to having less AI on screen, still here my FPS hardly ever reaches 50 but it's visually smooth enough.  It's nevertheless VERY dissapointing and I never had an issue with rf1 where all of a sudden a few AI cars on track causes the framerate to half, I really don't understand the reason for this, again the only way I can explain it is that somehow the code can't handle it all at in parallel even if the hardware clearly can.

I have no no doubt whatsoever that RF2 is fundamentally held back from a performance point due to it's still using Directx 9 and whatever underlying codebase.

It's often believed that a later version of DirectX solely provides more features resulting in improved graphical realism and fidelity and although this is true later versions also improve on performance as more and more tasks can be handled by the GPU's hardware.

Perfect evidence here is that in rf1 or GSC I get about 140-160fps that's the really dated DX9 stuff, so we go to Rf2 where I get 60 fps when I'm lucky, so bringing DX9 to its knees here.

But in AC I get an insane 280 FPS, not sure if this one is DX10 or 11 but that's really impressive and even blew me away and given all these to me is another indication that DX9 has it's own limits compared to it's later version.

I use these settings although I do run SLI, it's probably still worth trying:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/13570-Nvidia-SLI-Possible-big-framerate-improvement

I also run 334.89 drivers rather than the latest ones, I ended up rolling back as the latest ones I noticed performed worse in RF2 as well.

Today RF1 or GSC remain my simracers of choice,  unfortunately I can not ever see RF2 take that place, I believe that one will go to Asetto Corsa, it peforms well, it's a much more realistic looking sim, the physics keep getting better and the UI is brilliant, the triple screen setup options are awesome,  I can even tilt my head direction in the cockpit as a setting, always wanted that and in AC they seemed to have thought of every bit.  RF2's UI is not only dated it interface but equally poor on features.

Anyway that's just an extra 20 cents worth of opinion but I hope the rest is of some help when it comes to getting more frames out of RF2 where sadly enough that powerful hardware may not equate to much in the end.

Stefaan

Darin, I run 2 gtx 680 with triple screens.  Have you found that running that 780ti is better or the same with all the other games that you run?  Can you tell a difference at all.  If not then I might just upgrade also or wait for the 800 series this summer and go just 1 card from now on.  I guess with all the power these new gpus have running 2 cards seems to be getting overkill for what we run now.  But since project cars is not out yet and that title looks like it will stretch our cards legs a bit more with all the graphics on I am going to wait to see how I fair after that.

Cheers.

780 to 980 is only about 10% faster at best, if u start gettting into the higher end 780's that % becomes even less and then there is overclocking, the 980 isnt suspose to be much faster but what it does a hell of alot better is use way less power

with triples?

On max? Because I get about the same on my Gigabyte GTX 980 G1

It would barely run on my old GTX 680.

Yes all maxed out settings. The GTX 690 is faster than a 780ti and a little less powerful than a GTX 980. That's strange that your GTX 680 was not running RF2 very well, the 680 is still a very good card that's equal to a GTX 770 in performance.

Yes all maxed out settings. The GTX 690 is faster than a 780ti and a little less powerful than a GTX 980. That's strange that your GTX 680 was not running RF2 very well, the 680 is still a very good card that's equal to a GTX 770 in performance.

a 770 is a 680 with a few tweaks and new tidbits....

Dual 780 Tis in SLI, running rF2 on triple screens (ASUS VG248QE) with Multiview, running 16x CSAA (from Nvidia control panel/Nvidia Inspector), and running just about maxed-out gfx settings (all maxed except shadows @ "High" instead of "Max", and shadow quality @ "fast" instead of "optimized" or "Quality", and possibly in-game AF @ 8x instead of 16x) + Nvidia 3D Vision 2 + TrackIR...

Tthe game looks stunning.  It does 3D so damn good!  The SLI scaling is still messed up for the most part in 2D mode (through NVidia Inspector I set the game to 1 GPU mode if playing in 2D), but in 3D (Nvidia 3D Vision 2) the SLI scaling is honestly almost a perfect 100%.  SLI and Nvidia 3D Vision truly are a match made in heaven.  If you lower, or better yet, disable the 2 reflection settings, then - from what I recall - the 2D SLI scaling improves, but when those settings are maxed-out, then the 2D SLI scaling is still pretty screwed-up.  Again though, with 3D, it's the complete opposite and the SLI scaling is literally almost a perfect 100% (double performance from a single GPU).