Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Assetto corsa not a pure sim

69 posts in this topic

I beg any true sim racer to try netkar pro then go try Ac. You will see that they have sold out when it comesto physics. They have created a bbeautiful simcade title to please the masses, where netkar was to please the sim racer....

Iracing has much better car physics and so does rf2.However rf2 is still way behind in so many areas.

When ppl review ac they always bring up Forza and Gt... Please... they are not sim titles.... Anything that can be played with a gamepad cannot be considered a sim.

The title says Pure sim... Sorry I dissagree. I have been an avid sim racer formover 20yrs and have enough knowledge to know what makes sense and what doesn't.

I am truly dissapointed in Kunos. Just because ppl have fun with this title does not make it a pure sim.

I racing has it's flaws, but it offers waýyyyyyyyyy more in terms of physics. RF2 can actually claim that they are putting together a true sim in terms of car physics and ffb. they need to improve on all the othrr stuff though.

SORRY TO BE HARSH, BUT CALLING THIS THE PURE SIM IS INSULTING TO THE OTHER TRUE SIM TITLES..

I have lots of fun with AC. I wouldn't call it "simcade" (or the more mature sounding "semi-sim"), however I do feel like there is something buried deep in the core physics / tyre model that has some over-forgiveness as well. Overall I still consider it a sim, however I understand where you're coming from....

There seems to still be some weird oversteer where it looks like the game is being over forgiving as if, at a certain point, the game is slowing the rotation of the spin down or almost holding it for you and saying "come on player, hurry up and correct the car better, I can't wait all day for you how much bloody time do I gotta give you". Also, once you get into a half spin the car sometimes acts as if some magic hand would come into play to aid the car in going straight and stopping it's rotation, as if the tyres magically gained 200% traction or the car gained 200% downforce or something. You still need to work to save it obviously, but it just seems....I don't know.....like it's 3/4 you and 1/4 the game doing it for you, rather than all you. So hard to explain.

Still seems like there is a layer of over-forgiveness, as if it's 90% sim with that last little bit of 10% being "softened-up" or "video-game-ified" or whatever you want to call it. I've noticed this since the Tech Demo, while it's still WIP, and while it's physics continue to change/improve from build to build, at some point or another this phenomenon that seems to come into play when things go wrong or start getting tricky, seems to always show up no matter what build version or car, it's as if it's buried deep in the sim's core physics / tyre model (sort of like some RFactor 1 tyre issues that cannot fully disappear no matter how good people work the physics / tyres, including the best mods and Game Stock Car).

Other than that though the sim is very good, very fun. Still definitely puts a smile on my face :)

I mentioned in the other 33% off post, I've owned/driven a couple of the cars in real life and with the realism settings turned up they handle exactly how I remember.

By default, realism is set to "Gamer" iirc, so I'd hope you've actually changed these settings before posting.  If you have then I just don't understand the issue you seem to be having, with a few of the cars it evokes memories of having these cars back again and no other sim or game I've tried has come close to this.  So if the job of a simulation is to simulate the real thing, then that appears to be pretty close based on my real life experience.

I've never tried iRacing, but I've tried the other titles and none of them felt real so maybe you're just expecting AC to feel like those titles and that to you is what you're expecting as realism - not to me though.

Well there are some things that I feel is off in the game, but it seems to me like the basics is fine I mean not a single game has given me ABS feedback in the wheel. Also why are people complaining about the FFB? It is GREAT! I seem to be unable to exit a drift I will spin out most likely and sometimes I will overcatch the car, it not only seems I am to slow, I really am. So maybe you should switch the stability control off ay mate?

The sense of speed seems to be off aswell I will go in a corner at 150 thinking why the hell the car isn't turning in. :D
Few other things among them, but as I said Feedback in the wheel is great. You can even straight shift, never have I seen that in a sim.

P.S. The weight of the cars either just seems to be light or is it supposed to be like that?

Disagree. And I think it's funny that people rage about iracing turning into an "arcade" racer because they've fixed the ridiculous ice quality that used to plague everything. I don't care how many "pros" tell me that's realistic, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. The iracing Skip Barber is funny now, because it's a very pleasant handling car with the NTM. And it's the rf2 car that's the iracer.

I've driven long enough and watched enough videos on Youtube to know what's realistic and what's sim-physics-gone-wrong-but-fanboy-apologists-rationalizing-as-real-syndrome. Heck I was just watching a real life Skip Barber race at Lime Rock yesterday and was almost laughing out loud at how civilized the on board cam was.

To me the best iracing NTM cars are pretty similar to AC. If you overdrive them, you're going to occasionally wipe out. But the stupid moon physics crashes are kept to a bare minimum. As they should be.

I really do blame Grand Prix Legends for giving some people horrible expectation for what's realistic. Those guys died because mechanical failure when driving through a forest = death. They weren't dying on routine turns from horrible crashes.

Guys... Spinelli discribed it best.... Btw assists are all off.

Ntkpro was sim racing perfection when we talk about car physics, force feedback and imo the best rain ever!!!!!!!!!!

What Spinelli discribed with the physics core is spot on. You feel something helping even when all assists are off.... He is not the only one.

Please do not get me wrong. Its a fun title, but plssssss don't compare it to its predecessor nor to iracing nor rf2 physics because it is no where close.

If you look at other simcades like the f1 series, ppl complain about the same problem... Do you know why???? Because of the game allowing ppl to use controlers... when you start catering to the masses and creating a game that can be played withbs gamepad, you are taking something away from the physics...

Put on ntk and try it out... You the fanboys if you think ac has better physics.....

Guys... Spinelli discribed it best.... Btw assists are all off.

Ntkpro was sim racing perfection when we talk about car physics, force feedback and imo the best rain ever!!!!!!!!!!

What Spinelli discribed with the physics core is spot on. You feel something helping even when all assists are off.... He is not the only one.

Please do not get me wrong. Its a fun title, but plssssss don't compare it to its predecessor nor to iracing nor rf2 physics because it is no where close.

If you look at other simcades like the f1 series, ppl complain about the same problem... Do you know why???? Because of the game allowing ppl to use controlers... when you start catering to the masses and creating a game that can be played withbs gamepad, you are taking something away from the physics...

Put on ntk and try it out... You the fanboys if you think ac has better physics.....

I see your point and maybe you are right...I didnt play Assetto Corsa enought to judge it...but I have NK Pro and that title is really the best Sim engine till now...I dont compare it to iRacing  - there are many subconditions that make it one of a kind....anyway the real question is if you are 100% right - why kunos dont use what they achieve with NK Pro in AC...maybe they learn some lessons - that fun factor is very important to have customers ready to buy it...hardcore simracers are not enought to make you good profit...you see NK Pro dies in silence...and what a great graphics and phisics and many tracks in it...

im a fanboy of sim racing in general, seems to me like you just love rfactor a little to much, also I started with a controller, if it hadn't been for the pad and a console I would maybe have never stumbled into sim racing, i have to say i disagree with all of your points, but that's cool

I beg any true sim racer to try netkar pro then go try Ac. You will see that they have sold out when it comesto physics. They have created a bbeautiful simcade title to please the masses, where netkar was to please the sim racer....

Iracing has much better car physics and so does rf2.However rf2 is still way behind in so many areas.

When ppl review ac they always bring up Forza and Gt... Please... they are not sim titles.... Anything that can be played with a gamepad cannot be considered a sim.

The title says Pure sim... Sorry I dissagree. I have been an avid sim racer formover 20yrs and have enough knowledge to know what makes sense and what doesn't.

I am truly dissapointed in Kunos. Just because ppl have fun with this title does not make it a pure sim.

I racing has it's flaws, but it offers waýyyyyyyyyy more in terms of physics. RF2 can actually claim that they are putting together a true sim in terms of car physics and ffb. they need to improve on all the othrr stuff though.

SORRY TO BE HARSH, BUT CALLING THIS THE PURE SIM IS INSULTING TO THE OTHER TRUE SIM TITLES..

http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

So i guess Iracing is a Simcade now too.

I might be mistaken here but I'm sure I had read somewhere that any car in Assetto Corsa that has aids in real life (be it abs, traction control, etc) will have those aids permanently turned on in the sim, so if those real life cars have these aids, even if you have all aids turned off, they will still be there in those cars. I guess the Lotus 49 would be the test of that? shouldn't be any aids on that one. Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough driver to tell the difference, I suck at driving all the cars in Assetto Corsa! LOL :shock:

As for NKP, agreed, it had great potential, but I always had problems with it, the user interface was a pain to navigate, graphics wise, there were many glitches onscreen when I tried it, I just walked away from it looking at it as a unfinished product.

As Krassi mentioned, these sim/game makers do have to make money, I don't think there's enough die hard sim racers to justify spending a couple years developing a title that will have just a small trickle of income coming in, so it's a matter of finding just the right balance between a real sim and something the masses can get into.

Personally, I don't have the skill set for die hard sim racers and find Assetto Corsa too difficult for me, I have trouble keeping the car on track, and their new AI seems to be hell bent on pushing me off track when I do well, for these reasons, I haven't spent much time with Assetto Corsa.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

For 23.39 Euro is the best NEW game with cars under the sky...I had it from a friend to play , but now I bought it to support Kunos...These guys always work hard and always ask cheap prices for their titles...

It's as sim as I need it to be, it sure isn't GRID, that's for sure. I have played several sims that don't seem to take the weight of the car into account, and to me AC does a great job of that... so I like it, and that's okay,

I think GMan is exaggerating things quite a bit.  There is no way this sim "isn't even close" to the other sims he mentions.   I've driven all the sims over the past 15 years and I can say with certainty that AC is very close to the other high end sims.   Don't let your preconceived notion that the sim must have cars that are difficult to drive if it's going to be realistic cloud your judgement. 

I've spent the better part of the last 4 years driving the Forza and GT games.  Those games are a far cry from the realism that AC provides.  One of my biggest grips with those games is the "built-in" aids that it provides to give the controller users a fighting chance.   For that reason I always seem to find myself back on the PC with titles like iRacing, rFactor and Race 07/GTR Evo.   Each time I fire up a game like AC after running GT6 for months I get a pleasant slap in the face with reality.  AC has less lag, more road feel and way better car physics than those console titles.  So much so that I find it very similar to the likes of iRacing etc.  If you don't see that then there something wrong with the way you've set up the sim or the controller you are using.

We have a term here,,,run what you brung.(brought)If someone is happy with something then I'm happy for you.If they are not happy I generally appreciate and respect their opinion as long as it makes sense and isn't fanboy generated.

I have a few issues with AC so that makes it just like all the other sims I've tried.To me the sound is more pole position than anything but I'm sure that will improve.The game play is obviously different from the other true sims but I don't have enough seat time to properly comment.While I think the others sims may be a touch over difficult to drive I also feel AC is a touch too easy to drive.I can see where someone coming from the arcade games would notice the step up in realism but I can still think it needs work.The only other real problem with AC I have is it won't work with my SimXperienced powered GS4 seat."We attempt to support Assetto Corsa but I'm sorry to say that NOT much of the Assetto Corsa data output could be labeled as quality. If you want to show the GS-4 in its best light I would suggest using any game but Assetto Corsa. The developers have stated in their forum that low speed physics are simply not accurate at this point. Let's hope that they get this ironed out before an official release." from Berney at SimX.That goes for SimVibe and all their motion simulators so that right there has AC parked on my PC.

If I were asked what I thought was good about AC I would say it's easier to drive than the other sims and would be a good sim for those that don't have the time to practice 2 hours a day 7 days a week just to be safe on the track.I would say it's fast fun meaning you can jump in and enjoy right away.Having said that there's something to working hard at learning properly how to drive and act on course and the feeling of accomplishment when you start getting it right is very rewarding.

Like I said I don't have the seat time to properly comment but those are my opinions based on 19 years and almost all the sims driven.Theres no doubt AC has pushed the others to do better and that is evident in the improvements at iRacing lately.I'm quite sure it will evolve along in good time.

"What camera angles are available to drive from?

You can drive from the Cockpit, exterior view, on the hood, or just first person.  There are more camera options available in the replay mode ."

and thats a sim.

Well i will join the guy, i really don't like AC, they won't give me my money probably, but i hope they get it right in the future,

just will have to wait and hope for the best...

Cheers :)

I might be mistaken here but I'm sure I had read somewhere that any car in Assetto Corsa that has aids in real life (be it abs, traction control, etc) will have those aids permanently turned on in the sim, so if those real life cars have these aids, even if you have all aids turned off, they will still be there in those cars. I guess the Lotus 49 would be the test of that? shouldn't be any aids on that one. Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough driver to tell the difference, I suck at driving all the cars in Assetto Corsa! LOL... :shock:

You are right about the games use of assist, but you can turn them or set it to your preference with i.e. CTRL+T (TCS) or CTRL+A for disabling ABS off while in car. while in car

im a fanboy of sim racing in general, seems to me like you just love rfactor a little to much, also I started with a controller, if it hadn't been for the pad and a console I would maybe have never stumbled into sim racing, i have to say i disagree with all of your points, but that's cool

Have to agree with Tucker on this one, I have driven quite a few of the cars that are in the game in real life (Ferrari 458 regularly, mp4-12c gt3) and for me it's an extremely accurate reproduction be there you go to each his own.

iracing physics are good but not up to Assetto corsa specially in the tire reproduction or the way different car settings affect the handling. Real sim with no effect on tires if you lock the brakes, auto clutch in the pits.

Yes AC has little problems like too much chassis flex and squeak, the Ferrari 458 should downshift multiple gears automatically if you stay on the paddle but who knows that right? Some weird behavior at low speeds, no rain but iracing neither.

All in all I prefer it and it's only early access still so there you go, is it too easy? Try doing a low 1.44 at Imola in the z4 gt3 to see.

Ok guys....

first of all I am not an rf2 fanboy... I love iracing and respect rf2 tire model and physics.

My point is that as someone else mentioned Ntkpro was a benchmark for physics..... I absolutely agree with the fact that making ac more mainstream would make them more $$$$.... BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. .. But when we use the term PURE.... This is where I had to make my comment.

I'm glad that ppl enjoy it. Why shouldnt there be a place for it?

But please ppl, don't make me laugh in saying that its the greatest thing to hit simracing.

And as for the keyboard comment... Very funny.... Do some research and get back to me.

The dev team from Ac admitted that they were not in agreement on certain aspects of project and that comprimises had to be made.

when you develope a product aimed at a vast audience (drifting, drag racing, bieng able to be competetive with gamepad) you can't say that you are the Pure simulator anymore. They held this title before in terms of thier model, but now have chosen the main stream market.

Please enjoy whatever you play.... I love my iracing and that is my choice... I have ppl tell me all the time how they have there weak points, but the experience the offer is second to none. NOBODY CN SAY THEY OFFER WHAT IRACING DOES TO ITS CUMMUNITY.

What makes you say there needs be compromises in order to have a controler support? I mean 2 triggers Breaks, gas...Analog stick steering. Sequental shifting on buttons...Where is the compromise? I mean it's still axis, sames a pedals and wheel...It's more than likely bit more twitchy at first, but you can get used to that. I have played LFS in 3 different ways...Mouse + Keyboard Great one if you don't have a wheel. Xbox 360 controller also reasonable option as I said a bit twitchy, but was riding the GP3 car fine. And the preffered method Wheel...And I don't see how the game compromises on any of those...In fact it is bloody hard to drive F1 car with any of the methods.

Ok guys....

first of all I am not an rf2 fanboy... I love iracing and respect rf2 tire model and physics.

My point is that as someone else mentioned Ntkpro was a benchmark for physics..... I absolutely agree with the fact that making ac more mainstream would make them more $$$$.... BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. .. But when we use the term PURE.... This is where I had to make my comment.

I'm glad that ppl enjoy it. Why shouldnt there be a place for it?

But please ppl, don't make me laugh in saying that its the greatest thing to hit simracing.

And as for the keyboard comment... Very funny.... Do some research and get back to me.

The dev team from Ac admitted that they were not in agreement on certain aspects of project and that comprimises had to be made.

when you develope a product aimed at a vast audience (drifting, drag racing, bieng able to be competetive with gamepad) you can't say that you are the Pure simulator anymore. They held this title before in terms of thier model, but now have chosen the main stream market.

Please enjoy whatever you play.... I love my iracing and that is my choice... I have ppl tell me all the time how they have there weak points, but the experience the offer is second to none. NOBODY CN SAY THEY OFFER WHAT IRACING DOES TO ITS CUMMUNITY.

Btw ,Dude , where is that "Pure" thing stated from Kunos that makes you dissagree?

Have to agree with Tucker on this one, I have driven quite a few of the cars that are in the game in real life (Ferrari 458 regularly, mp4-12c gt3) and for me it's an extremely accurate reproduction be there you go to each his own.

iracing physics are good but not up to Assetto corsa specially in the tire reproduction or the way different car settings affect the handling. Real sim with no effect on tires if you lock the brakes, auto clutch in the pits.

Yes AC has little problems like too much chassis flex and squeak, the Ferrari 458 should downshift multiple gears automatically if you stay on the paddle but who knows that right? Some weird behavior at low speeds, no rain but iracing neither.

All in all I prefer it and it's only early access still so there you go, is it too easy? Try doing a low 1.44 at Imola in the z4 gt3 to see.

I agree with this.  there are little quirks and things that one would say "is it truly realistic?" but overall I think this is a true sim.

I'm having a really hard time understanding this AC "sim-cade" or in between that and "sim."

My 2wd '99 Dakota 5sp rust bucket with no weight in the back, in the snow, seems easier to drive than some of the grippiest cars in iRacing, or rF2.  I don't get it!  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  i mean compare that to the iRacing Miata, and the Miata seems like a total deathtrap, even at 40 mph!  Maybe it's the "seat of the pants" feel or something, idk...

But when I drive in AC, or watch replays on static cameras, it looks/feels very real.  I'm talking mostly about the sheer movement vs steering input vs speed vs suspension motion.  I cannot mistake how accurate it looks in motion.

So for me, I cannot understand why AC seems so "sim-cade".  I thought these cars (street and racing) are supposed to feel like they are stuck to the ground, stable, for the most part, just like how race drivers describe numerous race cars on a track day.  Whenever I'm driving in rF2, and often in iRacing, I'm literally fighting the heck out of every inch to keep the cars from LOSING grip.  AT this point, it seems less like I'm finding the limits; instead I'm just fighting the limits constantly.

I'm not the fastest sim racer out there, certainly, but I do put some pretty fast lap times in any sim title.  Maybe I haven't put enough time into some of the Gt cars of AC, as I really enjoy the street cars the most, personal preference I suppose.  Or maybe it's the low speed grip of rF2 and a bit of iRacing that catches me off guard.  Or maybe it's the speed that I've never had experience with in real life.  However, It's hard to gauge the "realism" of such difficulty of some cars in these titles at low speeds when at 40 mph, it's like a fast wave of water is jetting itself under the sim car in a corner.

TheGMan you do have a correct point in that last post though.  iRacing DOES have what other sims haven't come close to, that's for sure, and that's a truly incredible online interface and community, including is system of regulating drivers from skill level to skill level, and it stands very strong on this point.

rFactor 2 has an incredible atmosphere on the ever changing track, as well as ever changing vehicles, it's something many sims cannot come close to.  AC has an overall depiction of motion that sits high on it's own as a true sim category IMO.

sometimes I think some have grown a little too accustomed to "harder is more realistic" in many sims, but that's just me..