Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eyefinity Triple Screen Setup

134 posts in this topic

Hi Cytreen and thanks again for your suggestions.

I'm a little skeptical about trying the Fatality pro drivers since from what I've read.... all X-Fi cards are not created equal, some have different sound chips than others so using drivers from one card may not work on the other.

But who knows, maybe on next days off I might try your suggestion out of desperation, I would just hate to screw up my machine since it's working really well right now other than F1 2010.

As for the HDMI sound from the Catalyst drivers, I updated the drivers last week (I un-installed the old drivers first) and did a custom install which I chose to not install the HDMI sound drivers since I don't use the HDMI port of the video card. I've also messed with that Rapture control panel, doubling the amount of buffers but to no avail.

I don't know if game launch is as administrator since the Steam Client launches the game.

My guess is that the problem is with the game, the reason for this conclusion is Dirt2 (same game engine as F1 2010) works perfectly, no sound issues there at all.

Agreed, Sound Blaster cards are great cards but Creative's lack of good or well written drivers is what is the biggest problem thus why I had went to onboard sound for so long. I went back to the X-Fi to use the analog 5.1 sound (needed to send a signal to the Buttkicker Gamer II) since the onboard analog sound was unreliable, the digital sound of the onboard was perfect though.

Thanks for your help :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I know they both use the same EGO engine but thats not a guarantee that it will support the same hardware from software to software. As for drivers. They are software so its not going to destroy a card. Now if you were to flash the cards bios with the wrong one that will defiantly brick a card. Might want to check to see if there any Bios updates with your motherboard. As you are saying its just the 1 game thats having problems. I would make a post on Codemasters site about the problem so they know what they need to fix. (I want my DX11 already)

Like most company's there a growing trend in not patching a damn thing or only supporting the product with 1 patch and be done with it. I really hope this is not the case as it will be the last CM product i buy. Like Finishing first in a race and beating Weber by 15sec only to show his total lap time 5 sec faster and the AI not getting any penalties on not pitting the entire race.

How is the Butkicker? I have ben looking into it but really skeptical for a rumble pack on a chair lol.

Hi Cytreen.

I'm not worried about bricking the X-Fi, more like bricking Windows by it crapping out on too many driver installs, let's just say I've not much faith in any version of Windows when it comes to that.... and re-installing Windows ranks right up there with pulling teeth in my books, did it too many times and hate the process with a passion! HAHAHA.

I'll have to check the Gigabyte website to see if a recent bios has been put out, I believe I updated the bios in that machine in the last year. This is where the game consoles shine, one set of hardware for all machines, take the PS3 for instance, I have a older model, the gloss piano black one, I changed out the HD to a 160 gig, My girlfriend bought one less than a year ago, newer model, slimmer, flat black but it's all the same hardware in both, so what works on hers also works on mine. PC's on the other hand have too much various hardware to choose from thus causing incompatibility in hardware and software. Seems I must have hit one of those incompatibilities with F1 2010! LOL.

Agreed with some companies that don't fix their software after the sale, but Codemasters has never been like that and I do hope they don't start now with F1 2010. Codemasters is one of the few software houses I trust, it just takes time I guess.

As for the ButtKicker Gamer II, there are many here that can't live without it, for me personally, I don't yet see what the big deal is, I've not used it much and still don't have the trick for setting up the Buttkicker amp properly, I seem to get more vibration from the music in the game menus than I do when racing. I also had to give up on Digital sound since the buttkicker amp needs a analog signal to work, thus my using the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer. If I don't get the hang of this Buttkicker thing soon, I will more than likely disconnect it and sell it and go back to digital sound.

Personally, I'd rather have great sound than having my booty shaken! LOL :lol:

Take care

Yeah i like my consoles cause i do not have to do any work to get stuff to work lol. Its nice in that respect but lack of flexibility an user content is my biggest draw back. Oh and about you ps3. Its a vary common misconception that consoles like the ps3 have the same hardware. Like the fat PS3 (your shiny one) and your Girls PS3 Slim(mate black) dont use the same hardware. Even 2 slim ps3 wont have the same hardware configuration.(im talking about different processors and chip sets just like a PC) Same goes for every other console but thats a topic for another time but i know what you were getting at so its all good.

Yeah windows installation. Although bad. Its at least better than it was 10 years agao. Im used to dealing with just about every problem known to man when it comes to the windows and console OS. It comes with the Job lol. I just wont touch anything pre XP. Youll loose your hair working with thoughs OS lol. My favorite OS is still Haiku. I so want it to replace the iPhone OS with it. i know im Evil but it would be 1000x faster than what it is now lol.

I only use analog audio on the PC but everything else runs Optical digital outs so im screwed if i want to connect it to anything other than the PC. It looks like its just a rubble pack attached to a chair. If so im not interested. I would rather them use ULF Frequencies to induce motion feeling than a vibrational feedback thats faked through low frequency signal input lol. Than again im talking about tech you wont see for next 20 years.

Hi Cytreen.

I hear you there, I've been a computer hobbyist for almost 30 years now started off with the Commodore Vic 20 with a whopping 3.5k of memory! HAHAHA.

Before using the X-Fi card, I was using the motherboard's onboard sound, it has full digital outputs and I'm using the Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system. The digital sound was nice, clean, well defined and also worked better in 5.1 than analog, you could easily hear cars coming up behind you and even on what side they were at times depending on the game/Sim. As for Windows installs. Agreed that they did take the pain out of some of the install, but tweaking settings afterwards and then re-installing software and settings all that software up is a royal pain not to mention very time consuming.

As for the Buttkicker, I think this is something that's not for everyone, I really don't notice it much when racing itself, I tense up too much when racing and am so lost at keeping the car under control, I don't feel a thing, but during replays that's when I really notice the vibrations, maybe I just don't turn the thing up enough but then again, it can get kinda noisy when turned up too much.

Take care

Hi Cytreen.

Your message got me curious if there was a newer bios for my motherboard since last time I updated it, so I decided to check, and there was, new bios installed but it didn't make any difference regarding F1 2010 and the sound problem. Oh well, it was worth a try! LOL :lol:

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Take care

Holy cow Tinker, agreed, that's really really big! LOL :shock:

Only problem is looking at the guy looking so small on that setup, the car's scale looks like that of a tractor trailer! HAHAHA :lol:

But watching a episode on ISRT on that setup would be kinda cool, life size Darin, Shawn and Jessica. :)

Take care

I have just got an eyefinity triple monitor set-up with a 5850 and it works fine with IR but when I go into the rF config to change the resolution my new res of 5760 x 1080 is not listed any idea's as to why??....any help would be appreciated

Hi.

First of all. Thx for a great show. Like the way you present and test things.

We are 3 simracers from Denmark. Driving in the Danish Racing Leuague (s2000 and Renalut Clio cup).

We all want to use the eyefinity 3 monitor setup. But we are very confused. Everybody says something different. so now we turn to you for some help.

Is it possible to run 3 of these monitors: Acer 24" V243HA.

And connect them with 2x dvi, and 1 dp to dvi-d passive adapter.

Is there any difference to witch HD5000 series gfx-board you use.

plz help and advise.

THX

i am thinking of buying myself a triple screen setup. curently i have a i5 cpu with 470gtx gpu. buying another 470gtx gpu is too expensive, not to mention that i have to change my mobo to one with sli support, buy 3 new screens, obutto?..

so i decided to buy ati gpu since you only need one for triple screen (COME ON NVIDIA!!!). my question is: how is the performance in triple screen with new ati 6xxx series? or, wich of the 6xxx gpus are worth buying in this case? and how is with display port adapters? same as 5xxx series?

tnx for any kind of info,

Luka

Im going to kill to birds with one stone here.

To CaDy.DK

Running an Eyefinity setup is easy. You can run any 3 monitors from one card. It is highly recommended that they are all the same size and aspect ratio (i run 3x 23in 16x9). You can run any connection type the card has. As long as the Display port is used for at least 1 monitor. Now ATI says that the Display port adapter must be Active. I run an active DP adapter as with the passive solutions i encountered flickering and ghosting in some games.

To answer your 2nd question. The faster 5k series card the better your performance will be as you now have to render 3 times as much as you would for a normal game. The ATI 5970 is currently king of the hill when it comes to power and speed. Most people dont have a system that can actually use it and cant justify dropping 800 on a GPU. I recommend the 5870 as it is around the 400 dollar mark and will get you the best performance. If you cant afford that. Start looking at the 6870. The 6870 is a slower card than the 5870 but not by much. Its also only 200 bucks and it has a lower power draw, produces less heat.

To skyline

If you are going to buy a 6k series card get the 6870 or higher as its still slower than the 5870 but its half the price. The 6k series cards are not meant to replace the 5k series. The 6k series cards are meant to be run in tandem with AMD CPU. If i remember correctly the setups called APU.

it does not matter what card you choose if your CPU cant even keep up with you GPU. It will create a bottleneck and you will get bad performance. Also for the love of god make sure you have a powerful enough Power supply. 500w is the minimum for thies cards.

@Cytreen: thanks for info.. about psu- i have corsair 650w. so no problem there ;)

but after some gpu price & performance comparison, i decided not to buy ati gpu. i never liked them, had 2 of them and they were veeeeeery slow even when they were new- not to mention drivers for it :( only thing that worked better than nvidia was tv output. and while i was browsing, i found several forums and posts saying that eyefinity can't even run as it should since ati cards are mostly too weak- running at high res that is (xxxx X 1920).

i decided to try softTH software. i'll give it a try and see.. hopefully it will work.. if not? back to 27" :D

Hi all.

I ordered a new Display Port to DVI adapter this morning (should get it Wednesday).

I currently have a Accell dual link adapter, yes, the expensive one which needs power from a USB port, this thing is causing me nothing but grief, often when getting out of iRacing or anything else which might do a resolution change, the center monitor of my Eyefinity setup goes black, I have to get up, go behind the PC, unplug the USB cable to this device and plug it back in. Quite annoying.

I ordered a single link adapter this morning which is "ATI Eyefinity certified", this thing will not require external power from a USB port and is only $30 as compared to the $140 I spent on the one I have now.

This is the name of the device......

Accell B087B-005B UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Single-Link Active Adapter ATI Certified (Black)

Hopefully this will cure my problem so I no longer have to get up and unplug that ridiculously expensive device anymore.

I'll keep you posted as to how well this works after I've had it for a week or so.

Last night, while iRacing for about 8 hours, I must have had to get up, unplug, plug in the one I have now at least 6 times, it's getting frustrating.

Take care

I never really had much trouble with either my Apple or Accell active dual link adapters (both are the expensive ones). But I've changed to Nvidia surround for my three display race rig.

Hi Tinker.

I've had nothing but trouble with my Accell dual link adapter.

Even on my new racing computer, it still messes up.

Hopefully the single link one will work flawlessly since I'm getting fed up of having to go behind the computer to unplug the USB plug for the one I have now.

Take care

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back in this thread about combining monitors. Ended up the company my wife works for gets her a discount at dell. So I got 2 more U2410's. Sure enuff one of them has the dreaded "displayport going to sleep" issue. So that one that one is connected on DVI and the setup looks great.

NFS Shift ,F1 2010(no patch!), GTR2, Dirt2 and Grid are all looking great at 5760x1200.

Problem is GTR Evo. Menus are stretched across all 3 screens and the in game drawing of the environment is terrible. Trackside objects appear and disappear, opponent cars appear and disappear it's all quite bizarre. I have installed the 1.2 patch, rerun the config a few times with AA at level 3 or disabled, Vsynch on and off but nothing helps. The only thing that helps a bit is setting FOV to 40% in game.

My card is Sapphire 5850/Dirt2 bundle. Is there something in CCC I am missing? I found a post at racedepartment about a fellow who modded some files for FOV adjustments but it was for the steam install. I am offline install from DVD.

Any ideas?

Jack

Most common problem with running the acell dual link is that people dont use a DVI-DUAL LINK cable. Most people are not even aware that there is a difference. There is a big difference between DVI and DVI-Dual link. You also must have a monitor capable of using DVI-Dual link inputs or you will have toughs kind of problems.

mcZED

Without having to teach the basics of game programing. Ill just say will run into all kinds of problems with games that are not meant to exceed designed aspect ratio display parameters.

Hi Cytreen.

I read up on Display Port and found out about dual link and cables and such.

Doesn't matter, that single link adapter I just got seems to be doing the trick so far, I've used the computer a few times during the week for short times and not once did the monitor plugged into the DP adapter go blank.

Tonight will be my big test, I will more than likely be using iRacing all night, so after tonight, I'll know how well everything is working but so far it looks promising. :)

Take care

Here's an update........

I got my new Accell single link adapter on Tuesday morning last week (Nov 16th) and during the week I tried it out when I could, most sessions were an hour or two max. On Saturday night, I used my racing rig for roughly 9 to 10 hours running in iRacing. Going in and out of the iracing software, whether it was to race or view replays or test I was in and out of the sim. This would normally blank out my center screen a few times during this long a period of time when I was using the Dual Link adapter (needed USB power) but now with my new Single Link adapter, it worked flawlessly, not once since getting this thing has my center screen gone black, I am very happy with this new adapter thus far.

If you plan on getting a ATI video card and plan to use the Eyefinity feature to run triple monitors that don't have a Display Port built in (most monitors don't yet) this little Display Port to Single Link DVI adapter is what you need, it works like a dream.... Stay away from the expensive dual link adapters (You'll know these by them having to get extra power from a USB port). This adapter is $30.00 as compared to over $100.00 for a dual link adapter.

Here's the one I bought.......

Accell B087B-005B UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Single-Link Active Adapter ATI Certified (Black)

I got mine through Amazon.com

Take care

As i stated be for Dual Link adapters work fine as long as you are using a "Dual-Link DVI Cable AKA DVI-D". Your Monitor must also be capable of accepting DVI-D asd well. If not you need the Single Link. In rare cases ware the display resolution is beyond 1920x1080 on a single monitor you will need a DVI-D connection as Single Link DVI is limited to 1920x1080 @60hz.

I use an Accel active DP-DVI Dual-Link adapter, and haven't had a single problem. Just out of curiosity, do you have the USB plug plugged into the motherboard, or a self-powered USB hub? Many people who reported problems early on were plugged into the machine. I can't say this with pure certainty, but I will tell you that even when connected directly to an onboard USB port, some motherboards have trouble maintaining a constant voltage on the USB power line. For this reason, you may have issues with any device that suddenly requires power from the line due to that dropout.

I have my adapter connected via an APC powered hub, and I have no issues. In fact, the only devices connected directly to the machine are my keyboard, mouse, and the hub. My wheel, pedals, and G13 are all connected to the hub.

You might want to buy one and give that a shot, unless you've already abandoned the need for the dual link adapter. :)

I tried plugging the dual link adapter in the USB ports of the first racing computer I used, then I tried a external powered USB hub (that helped but didn't eliminate the problem) then I upgraded to a new racing computer, plugged the Dual Link adapter into the motherboard USB and still the problem persisted. Since getting the Single link adapter, it's been working flawlessly, not once did my center monitor blank out! :)

Take care

so the info is in the main thread, I will add that I am using a XFX Mini DisplayPort to DVI (Active and Eyefinity certified) dongle for my triple screen eyefinity setup, as part of the XFX Mini DisplayPort Kit it cost around £30 (but that gets you 3 adapters, mini-dp to dvi, mini-dp to hdmi and mini-dp to dp). I'm pretty sure its only single link dvi so couldn't handle the big resolution screens, but does my 1080p screens just fine. I struggled to find many of the adapters you guys have mentioned here in the UK, or for affordable prices, so was very happy when I found the XFX kit!

To Darin Gangi,

Regarding episode 86 / first post, what is the item number for the adapter you got from Monoprice? I don't see the adapter you show in the video on monoprice's website. Was the adapter an active adapter (without power cord) like the "SAPPHIRE Active DisplayPort Adapter 100924 DisplayPort to DVI Interface" from Newegg or the "Accell B087B-005B UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Single-Link Active Adapter ATI Certified (Black)" from Amazon?

I mistakenly ordered the laptop version (mini-display port) to DVI) item from Monoprice, I assume this is a passive converter.

I have 2 6870 cards to run in crossfire and 3 dvi monitors. Thanks for any help with connecting these devices.