Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eyefinity Triple Screen Setup

134 posts in this topic

Well, in a few days, I will let you know how things turn out......

I just went out and bought three BenQ G2420HD (24 inch) monitors, A HIS Radeon 5850 (Modern Warfare edition) video card, a Accell UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, two 10 foot DVI cables and a 6 foot DVI cable. Also, I should be getting my Obutto oZone with optional triple monitor mount in the next couple hours. Unfortunately, I couldn't swing the cash to upgrade my racing computer also so my old beast will have to do, I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything works well. My main concern is Windows 7 and running my racing games and sims, any input regarding this would be appreciated.......

Grid, Dirt2, GTR2, GTR Evo/Race07, rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, NFS Shift and NFS Carbon.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Jack,

so u are getting Obutto from the CDN distr today, so I am guessing he has them in. I've been waiting for him to get stock in. I pre'd the tri monitor stand now I am just waiting for the rig.

Let me know if you got ur rig so I can order the rig.

BTW I run Win7 64 Ult and had no probms with GTR2 or rfactor or Shift or Dirt2 or RBR.

I was using a 5870 Eyefinity a while back with SHIFT max'd and it does just OK and mainatins a min 60fps at most time. no probms with GTr2 or rFactor.

I currently use Nvidia surround to do tri displays, don't need dp. When I get the Obutto I will have to decide either to use Nvidia or Ati for the final setup.

Hi Tinker.

Yes I got my Obutto oZone today.

He received his shipment yesterday (Friday) and right now is having problems with Paypal.

I would shoot him off a email to get the information you require, I mentioned to him that a forum member would be more than likely getting the Obutto oZone cockpit, sorry I couldn't remember your name at the time but did mention you were in Ontario.

I hope everything works out and you can get a Obutto very soon Tinker, I have mine pretty much put together now, will strip my Playseat of my G-25 setup later tonight when I get up (taking a nap, been up 24 hours :lol: ).

I may also drill holes in the steering wheel platform and shifter mount to hard mount both those items, I'll use the plates from the Playseat as a guide to mark the holes. :)

So far, I am quite impressed with the quality of the Obutto, very nice rig.

HAHA, in my excitement, I'll try to remember to take some pictures of the progress. :)

His email address at GetGadget.ca is..... [email protected] and his name is Ronald.

Best of luck Tinker, I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Take care

Thanks Jack. I had been in contact with Ron a while back when I pre ordered the tri display stand. Just waiting for his site to update pre order status before I order the rig.

Sorry to others...OP.... :oops:

good news, ATI is finally working to get a cheaper active display port -> DVI adapter to the market:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3879/active-singlelink-displayport-adaptors-available-soon

$30 (est price) is better tha $105 for the current adapters, and the proposed single link adapter will not require additional power from a USB connection. I wish they had this on the market 2 months ago... :(

Well, in a few days, I will let you know how things turn out......

I just went out and bought three BenQ G2420HD (24 inch) monitors, A HIS Radeon 5850 (Modern Warfare edition) video card, a Accell UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, two 10 foot DVI cables and a 6 foot DVI cable. Also, I should be getting my Obutto oZone with optional triple monitor mount in the next couple hours. Unfortunately, I couldn't swing the cash to upgrade my racing computer also so my old beast will have to do, I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything works well. My main concern is Windows 7 and running my racing games and sims, any input regarding this would be appreciated.......

Grid, Dirt2, GTR2, GTR Evo/Race07, rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, NFS Shift and NFS Carbon.

Take care

That setup sounds very good - you picked all the right things. When you do upgrade your computer (if your staying with AMD) make sure you get an AM3 socket (not the AM2+/AM3) so that hopefully when the bulldozer chips come out it will only be a bios update to use them. Should extend the life a little bit.

What are your computer's current specs? I don't think I saw them in this thread.

Hi SeaFoam and thanks for your reply.

I have my triple screen and Obutto cockpit pretty much done, I still have to install my Buttkicker Gamer2 and make a few slight placement adjustments to the side monitors to lessen the bezel space taken. On my next weekend, I will be re-installing Windows 7 Pro 64 and finishing the things mentioned above.

My current hardware is a Gigabyte MB, AMD Dual Core Athlon 64 (2.8 Ghz), 4 gig's of Kingston Hyper-X dual channel ram (4 x 1meg sticks) and a Antec power supply (Can't remember if 600 or 700 watts).

So far, everything seems to run fine on the triple monitor setup, When I first installed NFS Shift last night, it ran fine, then later started getting choppy, then when I shut down windows it had 39 updates to do, this explains the choppiness while playing, it was downloading updates in the background, I will turn off auto-update when I re-install.

If you would like to see my new setup, take a look at this thread......

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=2332&p=17450#p17450

Thanks for your help, it was food for thought! :)

Take care

Greetings all.

Well, it's been a week since I got my Eyefinity setup.

Here are my thoughts on this subject.

Having three screens mounted to a Obutto oZone cockpit is impressive looking, it also makes it a little more difficult to get in and out of the cockpit due to the side monitor overhang (and I don't have that much of a angle on the side monitors) this is a minor detail. Newer games/Sims seem to work well with Eyefinity, so I have these installed.....

GTR Evolution / Race07 (Steam edition)

I love Race07 and it looks fantastic on Eyefinity, I have mine set to 5760x1080 and it works great, the menus use the center screen only which is a very good thing since it makes it easy to read and navigate (no stretched text), the replay feature of this Sim (recorded replays) also works in triple screen mode which is way cool. This Sim looks fantastic in triple screen, nice looking into the apex, seeing cars coming up along side you and all the other advantages triple screens offer.

rFactor

This sim also looks great in triple screen format, it's pretty much the same as Race07 with the exception of replays, they only show on the center monitor. This is on a fresh install of rFactor with no mods or add on installed.

NFS Shift

I've never been a big fan of this game mostly due to it being a EA game (I hate EA).

But as far as running this title on Eyefinity's triple screen, it looks fantastic, looks like this game was meant for triple screens, the menus are on the center monitor only, but once you get into a race, WOW, the graphics are stunning and the full view of 5760x1080 is gorgeous.

Too bad the game isn't any better than it is, I hate all the BS menus (awards) after every race and I think of this game as a Grid wanna be.

So that's all I have installed so far, right now, on it's way (in the mail) I have Richard Burns Rally, Dirt2 and Grid.

I've already tried Grid (hacked copy I got to compare the PS3 and PC version) Grid unfortunately doesn't fare well in 5760x1080, it seems it works better in 5760x1200? :(

I'll see when I have a registered copy, I'm hoping Dirt 2 does better, and I also hope RBR will work on Eyefinity, if it works as well as Race07, I'll be quite happy.

I've sent Codemasters a message and got a BS reply regarding if F1 2010 will work properly on Eyefinity at 5760x1080 so I'm no farther ahead to knowing if it will work or not, until I know this, I'm not buying, and if I can't find out soon (due to the pre-order deal on Steam right now) I'll probably wait till it becomes a bargain bin game at Steam since I'm not much into F1.

I really like Codemaster stuff, but they really need to start allowing a wider range of screen resolutions in their racing games.

Take care

Jack,

Dirt 2 was one of ATI's showcase games for both DX11 and Eyefinity technology, so given that F1 is built on the sane core engine, it should fare rather well too.

In other news... I FINALLY got my triple screens set up over the weekend! Man I wish I could get a cockpit sooner rather than later! Pictures to follow later...

Hi guys,

My rig(Playseat Evo, Smoketronics Buttkicker Playseat kit, Intel I860, SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB) is built around a Dell UltraSharp U2410.

If I want to go to Eyefinity do I need 2 more 1920x1200 monitors or can I go 1920x1080?

I love my U2410 but she was kinda pricey and I don't need all of the extra ports and connect options it has on the other monitors.

Hi guys,

My rig(Playseat Evo, Smoketronics Buttkicker Playseat kit, Intel I860, SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB) is built around a Dell UltraSharp U2410.

If I want to go to Eyefinity do I need 2 more 1920x1200 monitors or can I go 1920x1080?

I love my U2410 but she was kinda pricey and I don't need all of the extra ports and connect options it has on the other monitors.

All the monitors have to be running the same resolution, if you get another 2 24 inch monitors and they are only 1080 you will back the u2410 to 1080.

The u2410 is going to look way better than some crappy ass TN monitor - take that into account.

Greetings all.

I finally got my package in the mail a couple days ago.

I had ordered Dirt2 and Grid for the PC online, I have both of these titles for the PS3 but now with Eyefinity, I wanted to play my favorite 2 games on triple screen.

Grid doesn't look so good on triple screen until you apply the 1.3 update patch (downloaded from the net), then it looks fantastic and works well, the menu issue is fixed with this update.

Dirt2 is the "Windows Live" version, Windows live being something like a Steam wanna be, once installed and fired up, it automatically updated Windows live and Dirt2 to the latest update version. Dirt2 works great over Eyefinity and looks great too.

Since F1 2010 is supposed to be based on the Dirt2 engine thus it working with Eyefinity, I ordered F1 2010 on Steam to get the 10% pre-order discount. I'm not really into F1 racing but want to see how it looks and who knows, maybe I'll get into that form of racing. :)

Something I saw while on Steam.......

Test Drive Unlimited 2 was supposed to be launched this fall? It's been pushed back to March 2011 according to Steam.

This is another fun title (loved the original) I'll be getting when it's released.

Take care

All the monitors have to be running the same resolution, if you get another 2 24 inch monitors and they are only 1080 you will back the u2410 to 1080.

The u2410 is going to look way better than some crappy ass TN monitor - take that into account.

Thanks for the info. I found a Youtube comparo of TN and IPS.

I just missed the "sale" at Dell on the U2410's. But I'm finding the new HP ZR24w at decent prices(approx. $425 Can.) and it seems to have a smaller bezel then the Dell. Only problem is can't find many reviews for reliability on the HP. They make great printers, but I've got an HP laptop that is less them perfect(crappy wifi and heats up like an oven).

What you could always do is run your Dell monitor as your center monitor and get something less expensive for the 2 side monitors, just make sure they also have 1200 vertical resolution and the same refresh rates as your Dell. The side monitors aren't as important as the main center screen since most of the time you just glance at the side monitors quickly or using peripheral vision with them when racing.

Take care

What you could always do is run your Dell monitor as your center monitor and get something less expensive for the 2 side monitors, just make sure they also have 1200 vertical resolution and the same refresh rates as your Dell. The side monitors aren't as important as the main center screen since most of the time you just glance at the side monitors quickly or using peripheral vision with them when racing.

Take care

Yeah the thought is going thru the mush between my ears. I'm checking out the Asus monitors that have 1200 vertical.

SP

The new push for 3D is really bringing out the TN vs IPS wars. I ordered one of the Dell AW2310's during their sale to check out 3D. If the screen looks good enough for gaming I'm going to add 2 more and get an IPS for browsing, work, and watching movies .

Darin

Shows keep getting better

Do you have any detailed pictures of how you used the Aluminum framing to attach the 3 monitors in the Eyeinfinety segment. I use that framing for my Frex cockpit but can't figure out how to simply mount the monitors.

I used to be able to donate to your efforts by clicking the donate button but it seems inactive now. I would continue to send $$ as a show of support for your efforts if it was available.

Bill Fisher

Darin

Shows keep getting better

Do you have any detailed pictures of how you used the Aluminum framing to attach the 3 monitors in the Eyeinfinety segment. I use that framing for my Frex cockpit but can't figure out how to simply mount the monitors.

I spoke with Darin via pm and asked if he could post pics because I'm having the same problem. I guess once he has some free time he will post pics for us.

CaTaPulT

Yes F1 2010 Will work in Eyefinity Setups. Most i have ever seen the Ego engine run is 9 Screen setup in portrait mode.

My Current configuration.

i7 3.0ghz

ati 5870

ati 5870

gtx 260

12gb DDR3 triple channel

10000rpm VRHDD

Personally i Run 3 Screen Setup at 6048x1080 with everything maxxed out in settings and pull well above 60fps. I also run iRacing at the same specs but use track IR with the 3 screen setup. I just turn off the mirrors and use the center one as iRacing coding is not vary good. I dont play F1 online as there is nobody even on. most i have ever found is like 3 people. Dirt 2 is around 90fps in DX11 at same rez and settings

Hears the thing. All i run is 1 ATI 5870 in any of toughs games on 3 screens and still pull over 60 fps. As running crossfire is like taking out a tank with a 1 megaton nuke. Its not needed. I do however run the GTX 260 as a dedicated PhysX card with the ATI setup for games like Mafia 2. You dont realy need the fastest card around if all you are doing are racing sims as any good sim spends more development time on Physics than pushing the latest DX11 visuals.

As much as i love high end Visuals. I would however like a more state of the art physics model and not have to sacrifice in visuals. If developers would make there engines capable to be expandable so that the visuals could be added in later either by themselves or by modding community. The most common mistake for developers is that they do focus more on the physics than the visuals but fail to understand that the visuals are just as important for full immersion as they add that much more to the experience than physics alone. Just do a full race around Spa in F1 2010 with Dynamic weather and If it starts down pouring in the middle of the race. It makes it all more exciting.

Hi Cytreen and thank you for the reply.

I did get F1 2010 and it works fine on my Eyefinity setup (Single 5850) but my problem with the game is the sound, I'm getting a lot of sound issues with this game, so until they come out with a patch to address this, the game will go unused. The sound issues are enough to make playing the game quite annoying.

I've tried many fixes people have posted on the net to try to get the sound to work properly but to no avail, This is the only game with sound issues, even Dirt2 works fine.

Hopefully they can release the bug fixing patch soon before this new game becomes old and I never got a chance to play it! LOL.

Take care

Hi Cytreen.

I was previously using onboard sound but had to go analog audio for the Buttkicker, so I dug out my old Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Gamer and is the card I'm using with F1 2010, other specs are Gigabyte Socket AM2+ motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 (2.8 Ghz), 4 gigs of Kingston Hyper-X dual channel memory, HIS Radeon 5850 set in Eyefinity mode powering 3 BenQ 24 inch monitors. Running Windows 7 Pro 64

At this time I blame nothing but F1 2010 for the problem since not one single other game/Sim (including Dirt2) is causing any sound issues on this machine, everything works perfect. And after reading on multiple forums, so many people are having sound issues, some with very expensive sound cards too. Some of the problems are like mine, others have something to do with the sound being lagged, some part of the sounds are missing (voices) and so on, not to mention all the other problems with this game. Obviously it was rushed out the door before it was ready. I hope Codemasters get a bug fixing patch out soon.

Take care

Sound blaster cards in windows 7 is a bit effy still as there drivers are not vary good. I use a X-Fi Fatality pro series card and every things working fine. You might want to try out the drivers for the fatality card as a last resort

http://support.creative.com/Downloads/searchdownloads.aspx?filename=XFTI_PCDRV_LB_2_17_0007.exe

Just be sure as with any sound blaster card to run the driver install exe as administrator for a correct install in windows 7. one thing you might want to check is playback device settings. With that HIS card it has an HDMI output. If anything is connected windows will try to use the ATI card as an added sound device. Right click the speaker icon in the lower right of your screen (task bar) and go to Playback devices. Make Sure that you Speakers creative X-Fi is you default device. Disable the ATI HDMI ouput and Digital Audio (HDMI) check your Rupture sound configurations. If that does not work Launch the game as Administrator.

if the problem still persists its most likely a problem with the supported sound cards from the game. Sound blaster makes good cards there driver support is just garbage as there fatality drivers are from 2007 but im just happy that they work.