Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCTwo 2014: Archive (GSC, Clio Cup 2013)

277 posts in this topic

After a chat with my partners we decided to remove all 4 cars from this championship. This car doesnt make sense to us.

"If we say a race in the Minis is like having s€x... racing these Clios in comparison to it, is a bit like getting your [email protected] snaped in a zipper :("

We are not happy with the decision but after very practice sessions we cant setup the car to be driveable.

So we think its better retire the team before killing someone.

Best Regards and Good Luck for all the field :wink:

Well...I have to agree (50%) with the Competizione guys.

Yes, the Clios feels quite different to the Minis. But on the other side it can gives you the same amount of fun when you drives it. (for me...)

Especially with the different tire usage. The races are more complex with the higher tire usage and you have more options to adjust the cars suspension to better fit to your driving style.

This was the first race for me with the Minis and also with the Clios.

With the Clios, I felt like I drove a stiff race car with many adjustable things. Its kind of V8 supercars, but with FWD. :smile:

And with the Minis, I felt like I drove a street car with a rollcage.

In real life I'm not a race driver, so maybe I'm not right with these things, but thats what I feel about these cars.

Both of them gives us fun and I think thats what really matters :wink:

So Competizione guys, pls think twice, because you're great drivers and this series won't be the same without you. (...I don't want to get more points like this) 

We had a great battle already in the first round. Just try to solve the tire problem with a better setup and it will be fun for you too.

Later I will write my comment about round 1.

Cya.

Have to say sorry to Mate and OScar, was so dumb what i did. 

That move was a bit crazy :-o  You knocked me off from 9th place and I got back to the track 23rd with a wrecked car.

I'm not mad at you, so no worries, but I hope you will be penalized. :-P

Giving up after the first round? Surely other circuits will suit your car better? Seems odd to throw in the towel after round one, pretty poor attitude to show your fellow competitors who dedicate a lot of time to testing prior to the start of the season.

Hope you guys have a think about it & opt to come back stronger

My race raport:

My worst performance in clios ever.....from a middle pack fwd driver with some strong top 10 places I became a backmarker yesterday :sad:.
For my excuse: It was my first race with GSC, first time on the track. I still didn't figure out how to setup the car well in GSC, it looks like it is very simnilar to RF, but it isn't-at least for me....I have to practice more before next events reinstal GSC setup my wheel and try to tame GSC&clio. :smile:

Q1-silly me, done one lap with few mistakes pressed esc button and went for a drink....I used to superpole in clios LOL :smile:.

R1- didn't see the lights started far behind everybody (no clutch). I was starting to gaining lost time from the start., caught up David, had nice battle with few swaps of our places, than when I was getting more confident and was much faster than guys in front of me I caught Andy and outbrake myself with a rookie mistake at T1 ending rolling the car....After that the car was......hmmm, how to say it drivable....but it was more like fighting to stay on tarmac than racing. So I got David once more (he has his own problems, I think)and just brought the car home loosing last pointed position (if I'm correct) on the finish line.

Q2-Bad, bad, bad.

R2-After race one I tweaked the setup a bit and it didn't work as it should....I was faster about 1 sec/lap during warm-up, but the tire consuption was hilarious. After 6 laps the tires was far from I was expected...after 12 laps I was praying for the tires, cause it was close to blown them up....In the meanwhile someone sweeped off the first sign before turn 4 and I missed my breaking point a lot and smashnig the barrier, luckly with no hard damage.....Finished 22nd or so.

I have to deal with my setup isue before next rounds to be more competitive and have at least a bit of fun.
THX to RYO and whole TPS crew for this evening :smile:

PS. The poster is really, really AWSOME!

Q1:

My pb was a 1:24.3 but I couldn't make a perfect lap under the qualy session. I took the 13th spot with a 1:24.4.

R1:

I did a great start and passed a few guys before T1. Than I missed the braking point at T4 and lost 2 places but I was still on a good position.

On the 2nd lap someone hit me from behind under braking at T1, It was a massive hit. My car almost rolled over but I managed to keep it on two wheels. I left the track but came back safely without loosing any places. Unfortunately the rear right suspension instantly killed after the impact, so the car went unstable under braking.

i followed the Puppy and the Competizione guys and watched them from a safe distance. They had a great battle but after a few laps they started to loose grip and started to make mistakes. Tom and Andrew lost the back end of their cars under braking at the chicane. "Oh, thank you guys"....said to myself and I took the chicane comfortably.

Than Andrew hit me from the left side. He came from nowhere... :eek: My car spun out, than I collected Oscar...twice. The whole pack left me while I turned around and got back to the track. Joined 23rd....from 9th.

I thought that my race is over. The following lap was a nightmare. The car lost its vmax. It only reached the top rev in 5th gear at the end of the straight.

And there were no more straight lines for me. Hard braking was also a suicide move but my cornering speed was still good. :-D

So I kept going. Suprisingly I gained back the lost positions, one by one.

At the end I found myself on the 11th spot. Most of my overtakes were clean and I had great fun, despite of that nasty incident.

So I was satisfied with the result.

Q2:

It was almost the same like in Q1. Now my best laps was a 1:24.6. It was enough for the 12th spot.

R2:

This time I couldn't get that perfect start, but gained a few places again. Than I went wide at T3, touched the grass and lost grip. I lost there 9 places and continued 18th in the middle of the pack.

I knew that my tire wear was good, so I drove calmly. There were heavy battles in front of me so I tried to profit from others mistakes. It worked well.

There were situations, where I managed to pass two cars at once. It was quite entertaining. It was like "okay guys, keep fighting, just let me through". :-)

Once I reached the MadCape guys, Xavier and Jordan. Maybe there was a nother guy....can't remeber exactly. They were on a solid pace but circulating slower than me.

I passed Jordan with a clean overtake, than I got Xavier. Maybe I hit him under braking at the hairpin, maybe not. I didn't feel any contact, but he went a bit deep and I managed to do the undercut. We went side by side, I was on the inside. Than he turned left, into my cars back. I lost the back end of the car and made some karate moves with my steering wheel, trying to keep my Clio on the track. I reached the steering lock on both sides, while staninding on the gas pedal. It was a shocking moment but entertaining too, because I managed to collect the back of the car.

I still don't know why Xavier made that move on me. Maybe because I hit him at the hairpin. If you did that, because I hit you, than I'm sorry.

But if I didn't hit you, than it would be nice, if you explain why you did that.

Later I passed again Xavier without any contact.

Than I had a great battle with the Competizione guys. They struggled with their cars, they lost grip and pace too. I passed them, than I made a mistake, Diogo took back his place. Than I made another overtake on him. It was not a hard job to pass them, but it was entertaining.

In the last stint I passed Rasmus. He got the same problem as Diogo had.

I tried to reach Ryan, but he was on the same setup as me and his tires were in a good condition, so I couldn't kill the gap so fast.

We finished 8th and 9th.

This was a great round with big ups and downs for me. Our team did a great job with the setup, our race pace was quite good, especially on the last stints.

I had big saves, big crashes, big battles and finished both races on good positions.

Congrats to the podium finishers and well done to my teammate, Ryan!

Thank you Ryo, Scott and other TPS crew members for the organization. It looks like this season will be so much fun for me.

PS: I will check the replay today and maybe I'll upload a mix from my best moments.

Ok well I just watched the broadcast, and well here is my report.

When picking the car we all wanted that long gain so we all picked the light car, and we really thought everyone else would too. So to our surprise we were the only team that picked the lightest car. For the most part.

Pre-Race: if I'm honest there wasn't that much prep for this race, with recent family struggles and other things I just couldn't get on to test. But Tom had a tune that worked wonders and mad our underpowered car quite fast on qually trim, we knew tho we would be atleast 6 tenth a off.

Q1: again wanted to start top 10 but had to settle for 12th

R1: was so hard to see the lights from that car back, but managed to get into the top 10 after the first couple of corners. I'm not sure what was going on with the brakes at turn one on that lap but it thru the car in a brutal slide and I had to cut corner two. Then I did the MOVE. I'm not sure what I was doing, I think I was just overwhelmed and just forgot to check the mirrors, also not that this is a excuse but I was having some bad lag and clipping issues. Anyways I'm sorry to mate and oscar. Anyways had major DMG but the lighter car worked well and I was able to hunt down and get a 5th spot.

Q2: another close top 10

R2: had a decent start, but I got stuck. I was stuck behind the fat fast gt car. I tried and tried to get past but just couldn't do it. Had to wait for half the race until his tires turned to tar. Then was able to hunt down and finish 6th.

We at puppy found out that we need to qually good to have a good race. Also in regards to the comments on puppy's chemistry as a team during the broadcast. All I can say is that while oscar and I had a little yell at each other, we certainly are not having a falling out, and as a team the four if is are quite close. The team is young but the potential is huge.

Couldn't have asked for much more from my first race with the team! First pole and 2 podiums which is by far my strongest start.

Q1 - session was going OK but I was a few tenths off what I knew I could do as I just hadn't hooked up the lap. Just as I was about to head out with 2 or so minutes to go I had no force feedback suddenly but after a quick panic and escape back to the garage a few times it was back and I set out for my final run with about 15 seconds to spare across the line. Finally hooked up a pretty good lap and was over 2 tenths up so just concentrated on no major mistakes in the final sector and it was enough! Ending the session 1-2-3-4 was brilliant and what we needed.

R1 - Got a pretty good launch which meant I could lead the 1-2-3-4 through the opening laps. I never settled even though we weren't battling early on I was braking a little later than I was comfortable with and that hurt me in the long run. Too many small mistakes. Alex came through then made a mistake so I led again for a few more laps. Though suddenly my tyres were just gone. Majorly early compared to what I'd had in all my race stint practice so I didn't put up much of a fight to Alex and Chris who then steadily eased away for their 1-2 and I settled for 3rd keeping an eye on Tom approaching but luckily I had enough of a gap. Was surprised by my tyre wear as it had been better than the rest during all our practice but manager to figure out the issues for race 2.

Q2 - this was a bit of a nightmare. Thoguht I'd left big enough gaps on my first 2 runs but caught traffic in sector 2 so aborted and then sector 3 so I was only around 7th. This meant I had to play it a bit safe on my final run and was a few tenths off but a solid lap was enough for the front row again, this time an all Chris front row! 

R2 - Got a good initial launch but snatched 2nd a bit earlier than I intended to and bogged down. Brain fart. Still slotted in as part of the 1-2-3-4 train again and we settled in to try and open the gap we needed early. This time I had a plan to look after the tyres and it worked much better. Ran my own pace and stayed just behind Chris/Alex letting them get on with it. We all played it quite sensibly. Ended up splitting them at one point but I let Alex through as he was slightly faster and I didn't want to waste time battling with Tom beginning to close. Alex then ended up in the lead as Chris met the same fate I'd had in race 1 and had the tyres drop off first. I nipped past when he made a small mistake and after a lap or so of seeing if I had the pace to inch closer to Alex settled for 2nd.

An interesting and successful night! It's going to be an interesting season for sure. Some lessons learned to be taken forwards. 'Grats to Chris and Alex for their wins! Just a little too good on the brakes for me this time so I'll have to work on that if I was a serious shot at getting involved in the battles.

Nice work on the broadcast guys! Cheers for all the organisation work. 

Once I reached the MadCape guys, Xavier and Jordan. Maybe there was a nother guy....can't remeber exactly. They were on a solid pace but circulating slower than me.

I passed Jordan with a clean overtake, than I got Xavier. Maybe I hit him under braking at the hairpin, maybe not. I didn't feel any contact, but he went a bit deep and I managed to do the undercut. We went side by side, I was on the inside. Than he turned left, into my cars back. I lost the back end of the car and made some karate moves with my steering wheel, trying to keep my Clio on the track. I reached the steering lock on both sides, while staninding on the gas pedal. It was a shocking moment but entertaining too, because I managed to collect the back of the car.

I still don't know why Xavier made that move on me. Maybe because I hit him at the hairpin. If you did that, because I hit you, than I'm sorry.

But if I didn't hit you, than it would be nice, if you explain why you did that.

Later I passed again Xavier without any contact.

It was Jimi Hughes and myself, 2 guys who don't appreciate being leaned on under braking. That said, I didn't intentionally turn you around. I just had a crap exit out of the corner with some understeer, and unwound the wheel too late. Sorry for turning you, props for the save though, it was pretty impressive.

That was an interesting evening....... 

Practice: 

I spent a lot of time with the car and hated almost every minute of it because I couldn't get a feel for the car because it was handling differently in every corner on every lap. I then, after just being radical with the setup of the car to try and get to handle a bit better, found what was wrong and quickly found more pace and consistency. 

With further work on the setup we managed to get a good setup for the track and resonable speed and consistency :)

Q1: 

I did my best but couldn't get a good lap in, it wasn't bad, but I could have done a lot better than the lap I managed in the session. 

R1: 

Completely missed the lights at the start and was lucky not to get run over off the line and therefore dropped 4 or 5 places before we reached T1. 

Tried to find my pace and then start hunting and in the meantime a few drivers found themselves pushing too hard and going off the track, especially into and through, the T1-2-3 section. 

Finally found my pace and got by a couple of people with nice passes, got by Dan when he said "go by, you're quicker than me". 

I might have been a bit too agressive a couple of times but I did try to leave room to everyone I was side by side with but the car doesn't allow for a good idea of where others are, especially due to the mirrors showing the inside of the car instead of what is around you. 

After a few laps I was behind Matt and Jordan running in the mid teens and, by then, Matt was damaged while Jordan had no tires while I did my PB of the race in those mid-race laps. 

After a 3 wide into T1 I managed to get by Matt and then, unfortunately, missed my braking point for T4 when I was behind Jordan and sent him off. I'm sorry mate, it wasn't intentional, I've watched the replay and the reason for the incident was that the 150 board had been knocked down so I though the 100 board was the 150 board as my sight ahead of obscured a bit. I hope that the clean pass I made on you a few laps later made up for that very stupid and idiotic misstake on my part :(

After the incident I managed to get by Jordan cleanely and, again, Dan let me by I think. 

Got by Matt again after a couple of laps and then tried to build a gap and also catch Diogo who had lost his tires. 

He did a good job at defending but my tires were so much better that I was able to throw it up the inside on a later braking move and get the tires to stick and bolt off out of the corner. 

After that I followed Maté a few seconds behind and managed the gap to the fellas behind. 

P12 I'll happily take at Curitiba, it's not a track I enjoy driving on as many will know :)

Q2: 

Another bad one. Managed to go quicker but still no better position wise than R1. 

R2: 

Had a slightly better start but still dropped a position or two. 

A few laps in Ben was trying to let me by but I didn't leave enough safety-margin and unfortunately both of us moved about a bit under braking causing contact between us and spinning both of us. Ben could avoid damage then but I sadly span it into the wall, tapped it, and got suspension and steering damage + a puncture. Sorry again for the contact Ben :(

Limped back to the pits, changed the tires and spent the rest of the race with the steering damage but still managing allright pace. 

Sorry Matt if me being behind you was irritating or frustrating but I could keep close to you so just decided to stick behind you, see what pace I could get out of the car and not cause issues as unlapping myself with that damage would have been diabolical :???:

See you all at Zolder, I hope that GT C decides to not drop out.

Enjoyed the racing last night. Not driven here since the Clio race at Silverstone last year,Cars feel alot different to then IMO, bit interesting under braking but i think i got the hang of that in Race 1. Had a few overtakes and nearly had a moment with Ben into T1, Both praying the car will stop! luckily it did! Was in 15th or 16th but ran wide dropping to 17th and finishing there. Happy to score points!

Race two i had a disconnect when  gridding up. I know the reason why that happened and shouldn't occur again next time.

Thanks for a great if not rather sweaty evening! See you in the next one.

Wondering if anyone can help re: the problems I was having last night.

I experienced it at Curitiba in the last season of the Mini's, and put it down at the time to my internet connection, which was awful. However the exact same thing happened last night, I now have a good, solid connection and drivers around me all said I wasn't lagging.

Basically when I'm racing in a group, every now and then (sometimes every corner, sometimes once or twice a lap) all the cars will disappear, or slide in a straight line off the track, disappear and then reappear a couple of seconds later back in their proper place. Sometimes it's just for a fraction of a second, sometimes for 2-3 seconds.

It made last night's race practically impossible as I couldn't risk going toe-to-toe with anyone in case they weren't exactly where I thought they were and I took them off.

I tried lowering graphics settings and turning off replays, but that didn't help.

I'm guessing it's some hardware related problem, but it's just odd that it only seems to have happened with GSC 2012 and GSC 2013...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Great way to kick of the 2014 VCS with two top 10 finishes in race 1 and 2.

Qualifying 1: Qualified in P11 after pushing like crazy on my last qualifying in the last couple of minutes.

Race 1: Went to go off the line and bogged down due to having to much revs and went back down to 14th and from then on I started passing people anychance I got if I was to stand anychance of finishing in the top 10.

Towards the end of the race I caught Xavier and figured out his tyres must of been shot as I caught up to him fairly quickly and had a epic battle with him for for P8 or P9 and eventually got by him and went on to finish in P8.

Qualifying 2: Went out and done a ok lap but I knew if I wanted to stand a chance of qualifying in the top 10 I had to push again and done a PB (1:24.4) and qualified in P9 so I was happy with that.

Race 2: Got off to a ok start but wasn't 100% happy with it but aimed to just keep out of trouble and gain positions when other people had bad tyre wear. 

Finished in P8 again and collected more points and I never expected to have a great start to VCS as FWD is not really my strong point but I will happily take two top 10 finishes.

Wasn't really happy with my qualifying pace as I knew I could of qualified and will be working on it for the next round where I hope to keep up my good form. Also a big thank you to Jonatan and Mate and everyone else in OSR who helped with testing and the set up.

See you at Zolder :cool:

I would like to apologise to Robert Powell in Race 2, my mouse appeared on screen and as I moved it off, my computer decided to switch to desktop so I was unsighted before I nailed a wall pretty hard narroely avoiding Robert... It was kind of lucky Jonatan and I spun earlier so I wasn't in the pack when I got a technical error.

Hopefully I can improve on my pace for next round with more practice, I am struggling to come to terms with this car, especially under braking.

It was Jimi Hughes and myself, 2 guys who don't appreciate being leaned on under braking. That said, I didn't intentionally turn you around. I just had a crap exit out of the corner with some understeer, and unwound the wheel too late. Sorry for turning you, props for the save though, it was pretty impressive.

I checked the replay last night.

I hit you at the hairpin, that's why I was able to do the undercut. So your move was right, whether it was accidental or not. ;-)

And yes, I managed to save it, so everybody was happy at the end. (...I hope  :???: )

I thought it was Jordan with the other car...

Later, I had a strange battle with him. :eek:

To troubleshoot the hardware I'd suggest doing a classic round of tests: check if the problem appears when connected straight into your modem (I presume you're behind a typical router), if not - change the router or at least look around the settings (some routers/those with custom firmwares have maximum connections settings, this can make or break your connection sometimes when set too low/high). Best idea would be to quickly try out the game on another machine in the same network, if possible maybe doing a quick swap of the system (like putting another drive into the machine, doing a fresh install and checking if it's only the case of messed up setting, clogged tcp connections or something similar).

As some of you are new to the TPS, it is necessary to describe, in detail, the process that we go through when handing out penalties.

Firstly, an incident must either happen on the formation lap, first racing lap, be seen on the broadcast (in part or in full), or reported by the driver/team owner via PM to the league admin (myself) within 48 hours of the end of the event, in order for it to be investigated.

As is usual in the TPS, all incidents will be reviewed by the league admin, with any that are not clear-cut (or team associated) being referred to another member of TPS Staff, with further members of the TPS Staff being brought in should an agreement not be reached between the first two. We always review incidents using the server replays, which are made readily available in the race thread after the race has been completed. During this process, we do not look at client replays or client data, as these can be skewed. Any incidents involving the league admin, or the league admin's team, will always be reviewed by a neutral member of staff to verify the league admin's findings to ensure equality of the penalties.

Although it is rare, occasionally we make mistakes with regards to penalties. If it is felt that a penalty is too severe, or in some extremely rare cases an entirely incorrect decision, then it is possible to appeal a penalty. This must be done within 48 hours after the penalty decisions have been made public. The incident will then be re-reviewed, with extra members of the TPS Staff being brought in for second opinions, and in rare cases, look at client replays and other data should it be necessary. If the penalty is not reversed, or the severity reduced, then a penalty can be brought against the person appealing, for making a frivolous appeal, so make sure that if you do appeal a penalty that you are confident we have made an incorrect decision.

When a penalty is issued, it is normally a points penalty with an accompanying level of license endorsement. In this league, eleven endorsements are allowed on a license because there are 22 races. We retain the right to remove people before this limit is reached, however, should there be any inclination of deliberately attempting to contravene the rules, hacking, or attempting to deliberately cause harm to other competitors. Remember double endorsements are often issued for first lap incidents, so eleven is not a hard number to attain. If you miss rounds, then your relevant number of endorsements allowed will be adjusted, for example, if you miss one round, then you will be allowed a maximum of ten endorsements.

A reminder once again of the TPS Regulations, where you will find all of the situations where a penalty may be given, and what penalties may be applied. 

Round 1: Curitiba

Qualifying 1

Drivers penalised for exceeding track boundaries on fastest lap: Luis Fernandes, David Nannen

Qualifying 2

Drivers penalised for exceeding track boundaries on fastest lap: Matt Richards

(While running wide may not gain time, it certainly prevents more time lost by slowing up enough to stay on track, much like keeping a position by running off track that you would have otherwise lost, during a race, and is therefore still penalisable.)

Race 1

Xavier de Carvalho: 4 points, 1 endorse

Lap 1, contact Richards

de Carvalho bumps Richards at the hairpin and goes on to take the position. While the bump was undoubtedly accidental, it was avoidable, and taking advantage was unnecessary.

Oscar Hardwick: 8 points, 1 endorse

Lap 2, contact Powell

Hardwick brakes too late, and subsequently loses control, hitting Powell into Orban, causing a puncture for Powell.

Andrew Waring: 8 points, 2 endorse

Lap 6, contact Orban

Waring goes off at T1, and rejoins at T3 directly on the racing line, severely damaging Orban's and Hardwick's races.

Jonatan Acerclinth: 8 points

Lap 12, contact Pepper

Acerclinth bumps Pepper wide costing him several positions. He does realise his mistake and waits for Pepper to rejoin and avoids an endorsement.

Jordan Pepper: 12 points, 2 endorse

Lap 13, contact Back; lap 15, contact Richards

Pepper dumps Back off track at the hairpin, costing him many positions, before illegally overtaking Richards on lap 15 by barging down the inside at one of the fastest parts of the circuit.

Race 2

Xavier de Carvalho: 4 points, 2 endorse

Lap 3, contact Richards

de Carvalho muscles his way past Richards on lap 4, with several pieces of contact. The blatant nature of this overtake leads to an extra endorsement, de Carvalho should know by now this sort of driving is not acceptable or expected.