Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Opinion of RFactor 2 - Some real life racecar experience

55 posts in this topic

I trust Darin to be professional enough to see past sponsors, but I can see why those comments arise. If you're sponsored by one and not all, your impartiality (is that a word?) will, and should be questioned. If you then don't mention a new build (382), or a new fantastic car (BTCC Honda) from one title, and in the same time have at least five front page covers of previews on unrelesed cars from the one that sponsors, people will see the discrepancy, and question it. I actually think Darin understands that very well, but I have no problem seeing that those implications hurt. 

Also, we're talking racing sims...  rF2 can't be properly judged because it can't handle SLI (and I agree, it should), but AC can be praised despite it having neither race cars nor multiplayer? I just dont't quite see the logic.

You also have to consider that with as much content as they have to cover...  it might just be stuck in the queue waiting for time (and a suitable machine) that they can test it on.  Believe me, I don't remotely see Darin as unprofessional.  I don't think he's the type to solely invest in one gaming platform regardless of sponsorship.  It's obvious with Assetto Corsa and iRacing and the combination of Forza and Gran Turismo and other console titles getting their proper love over time...  that there's a lot of content out there to do coverage on and there's a pretty long list of items that aren't iRacing that have seen positive, objective reviews.  Not to mention racing wheels, sim rigs, wheel and shifter and pedal mods, new PC hardware, etc.

While I'm sure there's a lot that they gain access to and jump on, there's only so many hours in a day and there's the fact of real people with real lives.  I am sure that Darin and Shaun neither one do this completely and solely as a living so there's things they have to do in the real world that might preclude your timely update on RF2.  Not to mention, how can they give input if it doesn't work right on their system?  I think with the system requirements for RFactor having been shipped over a year ago and the fact that Darin's system...  which likely met those minimum specs, is having problems...  just spells out a reality of what I was saying above.  There's a lot of potential for RFactor 2...  but in many ways, the WHOLE of the game isn't ready for primetime for many people.  Your mileage may vary...  and as a result, how can you give a completely legitimate review when it's a hit/miss for so many people?  It's hard to be objective if something just flat-out doesn't work; whether shortcomings in the game or just a lack of advancement in some ways past RF1 (if not a regression) for some.

I'm not really interested in participating in the debate overall. We measure and chart physics accuracy here.You'll see this in the upcoming Sim Commander 4 which can compare one games telemetry to another as well as compare a games telemetry to real world data. I'm hoping once we release this that we can bring some facts into conversations like this one rather than having a debate of opinions.

Anyway, one thing that ISI gets beat over the head with is lack of progress and this is to some extent true when it comes to content. However, Kunos misshaped consumer expectations by stockpiling a lot of content, then releasing it at a rate that exceeds iRacing and ISI combined. They aren't over there working 24 hour days :) It's just a marketing trick and in my opinion, one that ISI would be wise to take note of. Perhaps they could withhold the next 5 updates, fix a few performance issues, call it rFactor 2.0.1 and get everyone to try again. The physics model already kicks serious arse. It simply needs some work in the frame rate department, a bit more content and it definitely needs to be properly marketed.

Another thing to consider is that ISI is doing some next level stuff. Take for example the output rate of their force feedback data. It's 7x more than iRacing and this comes at a cost of CPU usage. There are many other areas where they have also upped their game and taken things to another level. Will it run on a crap system...NO. Do I personally care..NO. rF1 was also unable to run on many systems when it first came out but eventually we all obtained systems that could take advantage of its groundbreaking improvements. I think the same will later be said of rF2.

I wonder how RF2's graphics compare to GSC2013 (triple screens). Graphics power is not an issue - running a GTX670, but will get a GTX790 or the new GTX Titan as soon as they become available. From what I picked up it seems to be pretty clear AC's graphics are significantly better and it seems like iracing's as well, maybe not by that much though.

I'd say iracing is better than GSC2013 in regards to visuals. So GSC seems to be a good reference for me. Although I'm pretty happy with GSC2013 (do love its physics) I probably wouldn't wanna get started on a game which is less good graphics-wise.

Yeah youtube videos are not much of an indicator. This is why I'm posting here.

Cheers

bump!

@ Berney:

This is a great feature: "You'll see this in the upcoming Sim Commander 4 which can compare one games telemetry to another as well as compare a games telemetry to real world data."

I asked you that question via eamil before if you recalled. I am looking forward to. Just couple more questions post here if you do not mind ( I can email you if you feel more proper):

1) the telemetry data will include more than currently Sim Commander 4 charts, such as FFB, wheel turn angle, and turning speed, suspension drop/boumce, etc, or even SimVibe output data, right?

2) the data can be saved in a common format such as CVS, so that comman 3rd part SW, such as Excel can plot them out?

3) that also include an AI driver's data, right? Both rF1 and rF2 have AI mode that allows  to run with a particular AI with his car on a particular track. I will assume I will be able to save his data too, right?

thanks

Joe

The goal of the tool is to help drivers understand some basic ways to improve.

We've included most data necessary for analyzing your driving and some of your car setup. We've not included any data that would make reverse engineering SimVibe effects, motion effects, etc easier and fortunately none of this is needed to serve the purpose of the lap analysis tool anyway.

Import / Export integration with several professional telemetry analysis tools is in development.

If I recall, you have some kind of goal of recording AI telemetry data and doingsomething with it like benchmarking yourself against it etc. rFactor AI data is rarely useful as it is not often the best line around the track, never the best throttle and braking strategy and not reproducible by humans due to the throttle brake oscillations. It's also a slower output rate than normal rfactor sessions.