Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NASCAR 2013 4.99 on Steam

17 posts in this topic

Wow, I'm glad I only spent a five dollar bill on this game. It's REALLY decent in some ways, but a disaster in others.

The graphics and sounds are great... on a single screen. You can tell there wasn't much optimization for triples here tho... the menu's are all stretched sometimes, fine others, and the titles and in race splash screens are just unreadable. You can tell a lot of the art assets are too low res for PC use too.

Lots of options. Lots. Very cool. Single races, practice sessions, season and career modes, as well as multiplayer. The "garage" based menu is cool, and I like it, but an option for a more basic menu should exist. Pet peeve... I HATE when the menu icons stay as XBOX symbols when you don't have an XBOX controller plugged in. 

The wheel settings are a frustrating mess, at least on T500RS. Out of the box, mine was just unusable, BUT I did have the TX wheel plugged in and it has some weird always on buttons so... not useable. Swapped on my DSD wheel and it was better. The game recognizes a T500 but doesn't give us correct PC button settings, it seems to think we are using a PS3 controller. Pedals DO NOT work without remapping.  FFB is VERY twitchy on the T500RS around the middle. You basically have to guess on your DOR. I ended up around 50% on the FFB settings, 0% deadzone, 75% wheel sensitivity, 100% pedal sensitivity and linearity and about 360 degree rotation and that was drivable, if a little too twitchy. I can't map my TH8 without obliterating the T500's settings. Cute. My research seems to indicate you can't have multiple devices, even tho you CAN use the T500/TH8 combo on PS3.

So I don't know if you run your CSP's thru your CSW, Tux, but that might work.

Once I got it set up (which took awhile, with LOTS going in and out of menus and practice sessions, and several accidental resets of the settings...) I finally ran a couple short 10 lap races at Daytona, and it was pretty fun, certainly not a simulation, but it has that sim flavor, which I like of like. I love drafting guys and moving through the field, I love the crashes and your spotter is pretty good. You can tell they spent some money developing this game... just not on the PC conversion.

Wrapping up, I just can't understand the issues this game has except to say that this feels like a quick and dirty port job. There is NO WAY I'll buy '14, even on a deep discount, until I know that it's not a mess like this. It's sad to me because you know the license isn't cheap and it looks they spent some time making the game, there is certainly quality there to be had, but wow. It looks like maybe the $4.99 special will have the opposite effect of what I'm sure they wanted.

I had it on ps3 and sold it, it's not near as good as NASCAR 2003.

I actually bought the PS3 (was going to grab 11 but that game was EXPENSIVE used, figured for $10 extra I'd just get the new game...) version based on the ISR review and sorta liked it, but I can't really go back to non-triple screen racers... even GT6 got very little use. 

I would have bought the PC version closer to release had I not had the PS3 version, so I guess that's something.

Yes it's the worst NASCAR game ever, and I don't think NASCAR 2014 will be any better.

I don't think it's THAT bad... it's just WHY would they leave the things that aren't good how they are?? MOSTLY little crap, BUT... they get to the most important part, controls, and just go, Eh, good enough?? Makes me want to beat my head into the wall. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

I'm glad it's at least playable, as I have some NASCAR buddies who have been needling me to get it, but I just am SO GLAD I didn't drop $40 or $50 on it. I'd be PLENTY mad then.