My diy 3dof motion rig & my TC-R1
9 9

246 posts in this topic

Well, I've been planning and designing a new motion rig for quite a while now and actually think I've improved my design over the time.

The project just got bigger and bigger but this is definitely maybe the final version;-)

Here a list of the stuff I'm gonna put on it:

3 Simx SCN5s, HE Ultimate 3 pedal set, G27 and later a direct drive wheel, ARC Carbon sequential shifter, Recaro Speed reclining seat, 3 BenQ XL2420T 24" screens, DSD FVS II button box, K-Woon VWS-100 bass shakers

A plan:

post-10260-0-29929800-1391947442_thumb.j

I'll post pics of the real thing once I get going :)

Cheers

The change from castors to these ball transfer units for RTL didn't work out very well for me. The ones I ordered turned out to be much too noisy even though they're not cheap at all. So my recommendation to guys doing this: get some ball transfers someone has tried out and is happy with, especially if you order overseas. For me it was just a waste of money and time for the CAD work.

Well, back to castors then, but different, low-profile ones which are about 40mm lower than the ones I intended to use before. There are 4 Carrymaster ACTM-400 on their way from the US.

New design is done and I'll finally get myself a gas bottle for my MIG welder and some steel tubes next week :)

Here we go:

post-10260-0-83540600-1394768863_thumb.j

The floor and bracket for the pedals with seat rails is implemented as well. I'll be sitting pretty high, but low in reference to the pedals. The seat is just 20-30mm (1") higher than the heel plate.

Still a bit undecided about where to put some panels , but it's gonna get the Martini racing livery which is current in racing again - great.

Something like that anyway:

post-10260-0-16258000-1394769686_thumb.j

Cheers

I've made some more changes. The rig is gonna look roughly like the model shown in previous post, but it's gonna be wider and there are changes to the handbrake and shifter brackets. It looks better now imo.

The excel spread sheet with all the pieces of steel and aluminium is done and that gives me some very interesting numbers.

The pure steelwork and all the aluminium (sheets, extrusions and angles) of the rig is gonna weigh 119kg (bottom part 25kg, sliding top part 94kg). Adding up all the square tubes, rectangular tubes, angles and flat steel bars amounts to 31.5 linear metres.

I'm doing some deflection calcs now and see if I can reduce the weight a bit by using smaller tubes and/or wall thicknesses. I've done these calcs before while designing so there won't be any major changes. Dunno, see if I can reduce the weight by 5 or 10kg without compromising stability too much.

What do you think guys - is the weight acceptable? The largest part which is the main top frame is about 2.2m by 1.0m in size and weighs approx. 55kg. It's gonna be fun getting that thing into my sim room.

Gotta think about all that...

Edit: yeah, made some changes to the tubes and reduced the weight of the top frame by 10kg to 84kg now. Happy with that.

Well, after some more tweaking I finally got everything together and managed going to a steel retailer. The thing is I got to build myself some work benches before - a large one for the rig and a smaller one for the machines I purchased.

Got a quote of 820 bucks just for steel ($500 for the rig and the rest for the workbenches). Oh dear! I must admit I was a bit shocked about that. I still remember saying just getting some cheap steel for maybe 150 bucks instead of these expensive 80/20 aluminium profiles would be better. This project just went out of control. So many expenses I haven't considered when starting this. The good thing is I will have a decent work shop after this, at least for a layman.

Honestly, if I had the chance to turn back time I would have just got myself a TC-R1 or a Simx stage 4 and I'd be happy doing actual sim racing instead. Yeah, and I'm saying this before the drama welding hasn't even started yet;-) ...a bit concerning.

I decided ordering just the steel for the workbenches first and build them and then I see how we go with that. If the quality turns out to be good - actually very good - I'll go ahead with the rig.

This is the latest design - believe me, I'm getting so sick of making changes all the time:

post-10260-0-65125100-1400287903_thumb.j     post-10260-0-89074500-1400287925_thumb.j     post-10260-0-09368400-1400287949_thumb.j     post-10260-0-32054800-1400287970_thumb.j

Take care

...after sleeping over it and digesting the shock-quote I decided I'll purchase the whole lot and just build this thing no matter what. I purchased too much stuff already - point of no return is far behind.

Cranked up the welder, fiddled a bit around and it didn't take long till I got started on workbench no. 1. 

Yeah, and that thing is done. I'm right in the middle of welding up workbench no. 2 (you see the top frame on my workbench).

I'm very proud.

It looks like I should be able to get my rig done well before the end of this year :)

photo 3 edit.jpg         

Cheers

Edited by Thirsty

Well yes it would have been easy to just buy something off the shelf, but just think of the satisfaction you'll have building your own rig and think about how much you'll learn along the way.

My projects are tiny compared to yours but I've found I get just as much fun doing little DIY projects and tinkering with my rig than actually racing on it.

I can't wait to see your rig progress Thirsty cause I know just how much planning and attention to detail has went into all of it.

Hey Thirsty,

You have chosen the path to fulfillment, young padawan. As the guys say above, there is nothing better than standing at the end of the day and admiring YOUR creation. Yes there are times, I know I have had them with my build, where you wish you hadn't started and you feel you are getting no where but man that feeling of 'I built that!' cannot be beaten.

Good luck with the build and keep posting :D 

Rob 

Well yes it would have been easy to just buy something off the shelf, but just think of the satisfaction you'll have building your own rig and think about how much you'll learn along the way.

My projects are tiny compared to yours but I've found I get just as much fun doing little DIY projects and tinkering with my rig than actually racing on it.

I can't wait to see your rig progress Thirsty cause I know just how much planning and attention to detail has went into all of it.

Yeah, this is how we learn - just gotta start something new and solve the problems as they come :)

I'm with you and enjoy building things. It's nice if you got something unique and if you built it yourself - even better. There's quite a bit of diy on your rig as well.

Well, at least I've got a bit of an idea now what to expect in regard to welding. Won't be too long and I'll get going on it. Steve was so kind giving me some advice on how to approach this project in order to minimize distortion.

So he's not just very good at doing wheel plates...

I like you getting into doing your own wheel plates - that's fantastic. 

Cheers

good luck on your build bro! I'm also building mine in the next 3 months, hopefully it turns out well. :D

Cheers mate - I'll need it ;)

You're doing one made of steel as well?

Good luck with it and I hope you'll show us some photos of it.

Looking really great. Lots of attention to detail and it will be an awesome rig when complete.

Nice looking work benches! They won't look that nice at the end! Welding benches never look pretty when used?

Designing and building is more fun and gives more satisfaction.

Thanks mate. I hope it will match your G27 wheel plate - that would be great :)

I'm so grateful I've got these 2 workbenches as proper test projects. It delays the build of my rig, but it's good to get my welding skills up to speed before getting going on the rig.

Cheers

Hey Thirsty,

You have chosen the path to fulfillment, young padawan. As the guys say above, there is nothing better than standing at the end of the day and admiring YOUR creation. Yes there are times, I know I have had them with my build, where you wish you hadn't started and you feel you are getting no where but man that feeling of 'I built that!' cannot be beaten.

Good luck with the build and keep posting :D

Rob 

Thank you Master Rob :D

I can feel the force in me - it will guide my welding gun and create a very special rig....well, hopefully mate ;)

I'll share this adventure with you guys.

May the downforce be with you ;)

I'm pulling out - decided not going ahead with this diy project.

I cut about 20% of the steel and welded up the base frame without the little bits and pieces. 

There are pretty much 3 reasons for this:

- the TC-R1 looks just better

- lack of patience

- my welds are not as consistently good as I would want them to be (people tell me they look very good, but I'm doing MIG welding and just can't compete with the quality of the TIG welding on a TC-R1...and I'm just too pedantic - my bad)

Needless to say I'm very disappointed that all the design work was in vain - I certainly feel like I failed. On the other hand I can say I've learned a lot during that process and I appreciate that.

Another option would be getting into TIG welding myself, but this is quite a bit of a challenge and I'd need to do a course in TIG welding. My MIG welder is from a good manufacturer, but absolute entry level gear - pretty much the cheapest they've got. I was told the reason for the issues I've got might be just due to a lack of adjustability of voltage, wire speed and all the electronic features a more expensive welder offers.

Not sure. I still think a good welder would certainly achieve better results. A better welding machine would probably help in achieving better results as well on the other hand.

If it was a smaller project I'd probably not have done this and just do a job twice in case I wasn't happy with it, but this design contains approx. 250 pieces which mostly have to be welded together and I think it's just too much for me.

Well, this is just a hobby so please don't expect me to make rational and sensible decisions ;)

However looking forward to this then :) :

motion tc-r1.jpg          motion tc-r1 -3.jpg          

Edit:

Forgot, I'm getting the dbox motion TC-R1, but without the actuators. I'll put my Footmaster GDR-60F leveling castors in the spots where the actuators go. They fit pretty well as placeholders and then I'll just see what I'll do about the actuators later.

I'll get the the rig together with the integrated over slung triple monitor mount as shown in photo no 3.

Cheers

Edited by Thirsty

I haven't made up my mind what to do with all the gear for the motion rig. Guess I'll try to sell my motion starter kit (http://simxperience.com/products/diyproducts/motionstarterkits/150mmscn5motionstarterkit.aspx), the two mounting and dampening kits (http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/diyproducts/diyaccessories.aspx) and the separate SCN5 actuator which was supposed to be used for the rear traction loss.

If there's anyone interested in this gear please let me know.

Cheers

I haven't made up my mind what to do with all the gear for the motion rig. Guess I'll try to sell my motion starter kit (http://simxperience.com/products/diyproducts/motionstarterkits/150mmscn5motionstarterkit.aspx), the two mounting and dampening kits (http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/diyproducts/diyaccessories.aspx) and the separate SCN5 actuator which was supposed to be used for the rear traction loss.

If there's anyone interested in this gear please let me know.

Cheers

Sad to see it didn't work out. It was an awesome looking plan and it would have been a great simulator.

I have sent you a PM. I am currently building a DC motor based motion sim but I am thinking of switching over to SimX.

Thirsty , sorry to hear that. But I know you are smart guy and if decide to abandon this project - this is for good!

It's kind you say that Krassi - cheers. If I could just believe it ;)

Guess it's a matter of judgement...and mood-dependent. The most sensible thing to do would be just getting over my fussiness, be patient and build that thing.

I love the looks, adjustability and cleverly thought out concept of the TC-R1 (definitely more than a Simx rig), but even though I really enjoyed that dbox motion Vesaro I used to check out I think the Simx system with it's powerful controller software is just the better one...at least for the ambitious sim racer. However, I'm a casual sim racer and a dbox would be fine with me. The snag is obviously the price of these dbox actuators. I've only tried motion with mates a few times so I'm not really hooked yet.

The chances are maybe not too bad that I'll be happy with static forever. My plan is just watching the market a bit and see if there's a chance coming up getting some dbox actuators for a really good price. The downside of this rig is it's just designed for 4 actuators - a 2 actuator dbox system would do the job perfectly fine with me though. Well, there's always the chance of competition coming up offering a similar system - see what happens :)

Cheers

Well that sucks Thirsty, I was looking forward to seeing your design come to life.

I guess as the saying goes start small think big.

TC-R1 is a fantastic rig mate, why don't you also look at adding a GS4 seat to the rig.  Seems like a lot of folks who own that rig own one because the width of the rig makes it easy to fit.

Yeah Unkle, what a bummer, huh? Sorry about that mate.

The only thing left of it will be the Martini Racing livery.

My idea was going for a white rig with these red and blue stripes on two panels I wanna put on the rig. Mark is not really into white and suggested going for that Martini Racing dark blue. I like that idea as well...not sure what to do yet.

I generally like the idea putting GS4 on it. Even though I can't remember having read someone complaining about this thing being uncomfortable I just struggle to believe it would be comfortable for me. The other thing is I spent quite a bit of money on that Recaro Speed I purchased in the UK and selling that thing with loss on top of all this is something I wouldn't be really happy with. Mark is generally recommending bucket seats for this rig, but he said it's no problem getting that Recaro on either.

Cheers