Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GT3 RS and Clubsport Review

26 posts in this topic

Lol @ Steve Mcqueen :lol:

Yeah I've got my name on one for the end of July also.May take a lil longer to get up north and through Canada customs so I'm thinking early August.I think my plug n play experience will go a lil better as I have a friend down the road in Simi California who's gunna help out :P

I'm interested in the adjustments on the Clubsport pedals people will be doing.Looking forward to gearless FFB.

It was nice to see a review before mine came but I ordered mine based on the earlier Turbo review and then looking at Mikes setup.The SST Lightning came a few weeks ago. :mrgreen:

Happy racing

Johnny

Right there with ya Johnny.

I ordered and then started coming across some, well, let's just say less enthusiastic feedback but I have to say it looks like there is progress being made addressing the concerns. I hope that when mine arrives I am as happy to have one as Mike and others seem to be. Especially now that I'm getting sucked into iRacing. lol

Hi, great review. You mentioned drivers - I am downloading Windows 7 64-bit now - will the GT3 drivers work for 64-bit by August 1st or should I stick with a 32-bit operating system, if you know...? I'm building a new i7 machine with a GeForce GTX 295 to race with, everything should come together in the next three weeks. I have to reload the Windows 7 RC in 2010 so I'm flexible at this point.

Thanks, Wrecking Crew

Heya Wrecking Crew... keep checking out Thomas' blog on the 911wheel site, there really isnt a lot of mention of Win 7 and I think everyone is using the Vista drivers for it, but there were some issues with the 64 bit drivers from what I saw. I'm sticking with 32bit myself running Win7 RC.

I'd stick with 32 for now but I know they are continually working on it..

In regards to the people that don't liek the wheel.. or the problems.. Yes they existed but like I said, it's like that with most new products or cars, etc on the market.

For me.. That GT3 is NOT leaving my sim rig neither are the pedals.. They took some tweaking and dialing in.. But man I love them now !

Hi, great review. You mentioned drivers - I am downloading Windows 7 64-bit now - will the GT3 drivers work for 64-bit by August 1st or should I stick with a 32-bit operating system, if you know...? I'm building a new i7 machine with a GeForce GTX 295 to race with, everything should come together in the next three weeks. I have to reload the Windows 7 RC in 2010 so I'm flexible at this point.

Thanks, Wrecking Crew

stick with 32

After the post last night I got both Win7 RC versions - I will use the 32 bit for now. (I understand that we'll all need a 64 bit OS for another Y2K in 2032 or so.)

I'm building a new puter so I don't have to upgrade from an older OS.

Steve

Wrecking Crew

First I want to say thank you to Darin (if it was you ;)) that fixed my forum registration so I can post now. :) I hadn't even tried logging in here after you answered my e-mails. :oops:

So cool to see your guys review of this "kit" finally. I did decide to place an order for this a few weeks back and it looks to be a good decision. There is something that's still got me wondering though. The CS's have a very unique feature that wasn't addressed in your review and that is the vibration on the brake pedal. I believe that feature is only supported by rFactor, which just happens to be the sim I play 99% of the time nowadays.

So question is have you tried to get it to work at all and if so, how was it? Threshold braking in games has always been my Achilles' heel and this has me really anxious as to whether it's a successful implementation.

Darin is that your pod or shawn's in the GT3 RS CS review I noticed that it's made from 8020 I'm making my next pod from that stuff it's in the works now butt just wondering if you can give me the 411 on wear you get yours from or who made it . So far I have found 8020 from

http://www.numaticengineering.com/<---Sun Valley Cal.

http://www.8020.net<---Columbia City IN.

http://www.stevenengineering.com<--- San Francisco Cal.

Reynard,

The rumble in that motor is quiet weak actually and we mentioned it briefly, but not it's functionality. I can barely feel it..

As far as your threshold braking.. Mine has never been better since I've got my set dialed in. Remember to check our FAQ page for lots of setup tips for those pedals.

First I want to say thank you to Darin (if it was you ;)) that fixed my forum registration so I can post now. :) I hadn't even tried logging in here after you answered my e-mails. :oops:

So cool to see your guys review of this "kit" finally. I did decide to place an order for this a few weeks back and it looks to be a good decision. There is something that's still got me wondering though. The CS's have a very unique feature that wasn't addressed in your review and that is the vibration on the brake pedal. I believe that feature is only supported by rFactor, which just happens to be the sim I play 99% of the time nowadays.

So question is have you tried to get it to work at all and if so, how was it? Threshold braking in games has always been my Achilles' heel and this has me really anxious as to whether it's a successful implementation.

Mike,

Thats the stuff !! Man is it cool to work with. We got ours from CXC Simulations who in turn received them with the Frex full motion systems they installed in their units.. He didn't use the 8020, so gave it to Shaun..

We both have rigs from it and sent our webmaster enough to do his as well.. It will be on our next show with my dimensions, etc..

We've built rigs for our Guitar hero drums with this stuff as well.. It's the best thing since silced bread.. Big kids erector set !!

;)

Darin

Darin is that your pod or shawn's in the GT3 RS CS review I noticed that it's made from 8020 I'm making my next pod from that stuff it's in the works now butt just wondering if you can give me the 411 on wear you get yours from or who made it . So far I have found 8020 from

http://www.numaticengineering.com/

http://www.8020.net

http://www.stevenengineering.com

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my GT3 RS is being delivered this week. My question is as a proud owner of an Obutto cockpit was it hard to bolt the wheel down? I am concerned that one or more of the mounts holes will need to be drilled through the metal support tubing of the wheel stand and that I'll need to acquire longer screws for mounting.

I'll post an answer to my own question for all those that care.

Yes, 2 of the 4 holes required went thru the wheel stand support tubing. I used 6mm x 40mm bolts for those holes, and 6mm x 20mm for those that just went thru the plate itself. The wheel after mounting is rock solid.

Sorry BD for no reply.. wasn't sure what you meant.. Glad you got it all wored out though !!

I'll post an answer to my own question for all those that care.

Yes, 2 of the 4 holes required went thru the wheel stand support tubing. I used 6mm x 40mm bolts for those holes, and 6mm x 20mm for those that just went thru the plate itself. The wheel after mounting is rock solid.

Ha, ha, ha. I just watched this review (youtube HD version) for a second time and I noticed something very funny. I was wondering if this was a special effect put in (which it doesn't look like but genuine instead) or if it really occured. At approximately 11:30 into the video (where the 'Plug & Play' ratings are given) Shaun is mentioning about the bugs being 'worked out', and all of a sudden a flying bug goes from one end of the studio from the left, and up and onto the back/top of Shaun's head! Just a pointless but coincidental yet hilarious occurance. One in a million! :lol:

Was wondering how many would notice that very funny coincidence.

Ha, ha, ha. I just watched this review (youtube HD version) for a second time and I noticed something very funny. I was wondering if this was a special effect put in (which it doesn't look like but genuine instead) or if it really occured. At approximately 11:30 into the video (where the 'Plug & Play' ratings are given) Shaun is mentioning about the bugs being 'worked out', and all of a sudden a flying bug goes from one end of the studio from the left, and up and onto the back/top of Shaun's head! Just a pointless but coincidental yet hilarious occurance. One in a million! :lol:

Hi Shaun, Darin,

Got my GT3RS and Clubsports up and running Monday.

I couldn't get the brake to suit me in its stock form--it was too

hard to modulate the braking. It seemed like I was either braking

too much or too little, and I didn't really like how hard I had to mash

the brake to reach maximum. So I removed the spring from the brake

and left it in the first hole, and I like it much better now. They're working

great actually. The gas pedal is a little "floppier" than the G25, but I like

it as it feels I can modulate throttle inputs a little better.

The only thing that concerns me, and I should've probably expected this, is that I'm not yet matching my G25 times--especially in GT5P. How long did it take you guys

to really get used to the Fanatec wheels--especially if you transitioned from the G25?

The main thing I'm noticing is that yes--everything people say about the Fanatec is true: stronger/smoother force feedback, more confidence (especially with getting on the gas earlier on corner exits it seems), etc. But I'm still at least .3 or .4 off my average G25 pace. It seems like I am having to re-learn/adjust my lines a little more than I thought I would with the Fanatec. My main impression right now is that because the wheel is bigger and the feedback is stronger and more consistent, I can't yank the wheel as quickly as I did the G25. I guess it's as if the Fanatec punishes you for taking sloppy lines more than the G25 because it's not as easy to overcorrect/whip the car back on the preferred line, if that makes any sense?

Any feedback or observations would be greatly appreciated. I was hopeful that I would be quicker with the Fanatec, but at the least I expected to run the same laptimes. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, I was just wondering how much time it takes to adjust.

Yeah I agree with Len,,I've had mine for a few weeks now and like you my times had dropped off as I adjusted to the load cell brake and new feel of the wheel.I still haven't made any adjustments to the pedals yet other than a few turns on the throttle adjustment nut to stiffen that up a touch.For awhile there I was either locking the brakes up or not applying enough and driving off but now I have a way better feel for it entering corners much better than before resulting in equally better exits.

For the wheel I set my dampening @ 0 and drift mode @ 5 and run ffb @ 33.With these settings I can "yank" the wheel quite easily and still get sufficient feedback.

My times are improving now and I'm faster than with the G25 and something people don't discuss as much but I feel more important than faster times,,,,I'm easier on the tires and equipment.I'm smoother. 8)

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had a little "breakthrough" last night, and ran a lap .250 better

than my previous best in one of my favorite cars :mrgreen:

I think that with the Fanatec being so smooth, it doesn't feel like you are going faster than with the G25. I think I am slowly starting to the hang of it.

One of the biggest things I am noticing is that setups that worked great with the G25 have to be tweaked a little for the GT3RS. Also, every car feels different.

Turn-in points are different, the amount of wheel lock required to get through corners is different, etc.

But on the flip side, cars that were touch and go, or just a plain nightmare to handle with the G25 are much more manageable with the Fanatec. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that some cars that badly oversteered with the G25 actually understeer a little with the Fanatec. And I have more confidence than I ever did with the G25 on corner exits. I feel like the car is more stable with the Fanatec, and I can consequently pick up the throttle just a smidge quicker.

It's a work in progress, but I'm finally starting to some really nice results.

One of the other problems you may be encountering if you're running GT5P only is, you can't adjust the dampening like you can on the PC.. You can take that dampening out so that you can "whip" the wheel like you described.

Also something that may help. What rotation are you running ? If you put it at 360 on the wheel, that may help..

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had a little "breakthrough" last night, and ran a lap .250 better

than my previous best in one of my favorite cars :mrgreen:

I think that with the Fanatec being so smooth, it doesn't feel like you are going faster than with the G25. I think I am slowly starting to the hang of it.

One of the biggest things I am noticing is that setups that worked great with the G25 have to be tweaked a little for the GT3RS. Also, every car feels different.

Turn-in points are different, the amount of wheel lock required to get through corners is different, etc.

But on the flip side, cars that were touch and go, or just a plain nightmare to handle with the G25 are much more manageable with the Fanatec. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that some cars that badly oversteered with the G25 actually understeer a little with the Fanatec. And I have more confidence than I ever did with the G25 on corner exits. I feel like the car is more stable with the Fanatec, and I can consequently pick up the throttle just a smidge quicker.

It's a work in progress, but I'm finally starting to some really nice results.