Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Custom Button Box for iRacing

141 posts in this topic

Hey guys I just got 2 cents. I use fluorescent light lexan diamond diffuser panels from the local home improvement store to cure the hot n cold spots in my Chauvet color strip DJ lights. Hover it 1/2 " over the bulbs. Works for me. Cheap to experiment with.

Hey Mike .

you have a good idea but in my case that would take up too much space. With all the components installed there is barely enough room to close the back cover.

In the meantime here is a photo of some progress of the box

Looking great there, mate!  Very professional looking job...

Hi Dave.

I love the looks of your new button box, any chance of taking a picture of it in semi light to see it lit up when it's done.

Another fine piece of work, so many talented people on these forums! :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Hey Jack.

Here you go. This photo is taken in the dark with the backlighting on.

Along with the circuit board mounted to the back cover with a rubber isolator and screws. by doing it this way I gained some vital clearance between the board and switches.

post-2504-0-68287500-1396111027_thumb.jp

post-2504-0-95017800-1396111041_thumb.jp

post-2504-0-52400600-1396111239_thumb.jp

NICE, that looks great lit up! :)

Nice clean wiring too, something I'm terrible at, each time I try, the wires go where they want, not where I want them to! LOL

Take care

Hi Adam, Thanks.

I'd have to look at all the specs to know what the size/differences are. I've been using CTS pots for over 20 years so they were my first choice when choosing an encoder. Here's the datasheet for comparison. They are 2 bit, 16 detent. 

Bailey

ok yea, these are 5 pin and from what I see on yours is they are 3 pin. A part of me wants to play it safe and grab the CTS ones. But these are a 1/4 of the price and say they are the same as the CTS brand.  One way to find out I guess.. :geek:  

Understood Adam. :)

The encoders with 5 pins are the one's which have a push button momentary switch built in, I used those for my Chat and Spotter volume knobs so I can push to mute an individual in iRacing by pushing my Chat knob and I can mute lap time announcement by pushing the Spotter knob.

Obviously you could forego using those additional 2 pins and have a typical rotary, like Bias... That is if you're getting a bulk of these. No need to order both kinds if they're all 5 pin.

Bailey

I have started building custom button panel for Momo wheel, on Tx thrustmaster. I have buttons, Momo, dsd adapter and will make custom plate this weekend. I cannot afford the lovely Sam maxwell wheel, so thought I would try hand crafting my own. A relatively cheap experiment.

This is a really great thread full of very useful information... Thread should be be preserved as a reference guide! Mandatory reading for DIY sim racers.

Thank you again, Bailey for such great reference material... It must be my fourth complete review, each time I find another little gem of information.

I have started building custom button panel for Momo wheel, on Tx thrustmaster. I have buttons, Momo, dsd adapter and will make custom plate this weekend. I cannot afford the lovely Sam maxwell wheel, so thought I would try hand crafting my own. A relatively cheap experiment.

This is a really great thread full of very useful information... Thread should be be preserved as a reference guide! Mandatory reading for DIY sim racers.

Thank you again, Bailey for such great reference material... It must be my fourth complete review, each time I find another little gem of information.

Thanks Steve that's very sweet of you. I know it isn't rocket science but for those who don't know where to start I hope I laid it out simply enough that they realize nearly anyone can do it. Just don't forget to turn the soldering iron off! lol

B

64 Buttons - No Hassle!  No Matrix!  No BS!

The DSD 64 button controller is the heart of our "Trackzilla".  We call this one, "Boardzilla" ;)  You can connect standard momentary pushbuttons, on/off toggles, rotary switches and rotary encoders until you go crazy.  The device is essentially two of our 32 button controllers on one USB device (our proprietary configruation program is needed for on/off toggles, R.Switches and R.Encoders - configure once and forget it!)

HPIM2107.jpg

IF we release it it will be somewhere around 58-59 USD shipped worldwide for free.  NOTICE:  Only iRacing and Assetto Corsa will address all 64 button inputs.  Other titles only see the first 32 (we're working on a Windows application that will allow you to map the buttons greater than 32 to keypresses so you can use it anywhere you want).

I think it has more button options than virtually any racing sim will use :D

64 Buttons  

I think it has more button options than virtually any racing sim will use :D

You know someone will build boxes using two of these! "Build it and they will come"

128 buttons!!!

This would be perfect for hooking up everything...wheel,boxes etc. on one USB.

You know someone will build boxes using two of these! "Build it and they will come"

128 buttons!!!

Someone has already done it!! 

It's a truly awesome spectacle... they call it... a keyboard. LOL

sorry, i had to :)

Just my 2 cents

WOW! Brilliant! :ugeek:

I've been thinking about doing it, and you did it. I'll never challenge YOU in a gunfight :)

I've got some experience in fabrication and manufacturing myself  and this is definitely industry quality work :cool:

I've been thinking about doing it, and you did it. I'll never challenge YOU in a gunfight :)

I've got some experience in fabrication and manufacturing myself  and this is definitely industry quality work :cool:

Haha, well, you can't imagine how much wearing bifocals affects my aim these days. lol

B

LOL FannBlade, I wear Progressive lenses, in a way they are tri-focal (the reading part, 1/2 way in between, and the distance part).

Took a long time to get use to these things. LOL :D

Take care