Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 74 - Lamborghini Wheel, Steadiplay, Iracing Night

28 posts in this topic

In this Episode we take a look at Atomic Accesories new Lamborghini Gallardo Force Feedback Wheel. We also test out the new Steadiplay wheelstand to see if its fit for racing. IRacing releases its new build this week packed with new items that we cover inlcuding Night Racing at Richmond and Top Simulated Cars of All Time where we will add two new cars to the list to fill in the top 50.

I don't know how that Steadiplay stand got such a high rating. I see that it flex/wobble a lot in your vid from side to side along with the questionable build longevity. I mean yes it has some innovations but giving it a 9.5/10...well IMO that is really pushing it and at that price, it shld have really no flaws. Maybe you shld set up a separate rating system for "stands" and "rigs".

Too bad about that Lambo wheel on the PC. It would have been nice to give Logi some low price competition. But at ~200 Euro MSRP, well that's really getting into (actually higher) the Fanatec Carrera price range.

Good informative epi as usual.

Correction: my bad...the Lambo wheel is ~100 Euro not ~200E. But I would still spend the extra for the Carrera wheel.

I don't know how that Steadiplay stand got such a high rating. I see that it flex/wobble a lot in your vid from side to side along with the questionable build longevity. I mean yes it has some innovations but giving it a 9.5/10...well IMO that is really pushing it and at that price, it shld have really no flaws. Maybe you shld set up a separate rating system for "stands" and "rigs".

Too bad about that Lambo wheel on the PC. It would have been nice to give Logi some low price competition. But at ~200 Euro MSRP, well that's really getting into (actually higher) the Fanatec Carrera price range.

Good informative epi as usual.

The wobble is greater when it's fully extended.. In a lower racing position, there's little wobble.. No more than the Hot Seat Sim Chassis we're reviewing next week.

As a wheelstand, it deserves high marks.. There's none better on the market. Wheelstand pro, Fanatec, etc.. there's none better.. There's also not one on the market that I would put Warren in to race on iRacing.

The wobble is greater when it's fully extended.. In a lower racing position, there's little wobble.. No more than the Hot Seat Sim Chassis we're reviewing next week.

As a wheelstand, it deserves high marks.. There's none better on the market. Wheelstand pro, Fanatec, etc.. there's none better.. There's also not one on the market that I would put Warren in to race on iRacing.

Just from your vid, when you were using the Plei char and even when using the Rocker chair (assuming that is low), there is a def side to side motion. I get slight up and down with my Playseats Evo but I don't have that side to side that the Steadiplay chair shows. Maybe I just have my Evo locked down since I am only 5'9" :lol: .

Just from the score of 9.5 it implies it's near perfect, that means rigs will have hard time getting a scores near perefct to beat it. IMO I would pref to have any of the rig's SRT has reviewed (even the Bob Earl one) over any stand that has been reviewed any day.

Also at that price, that's an Obutto rig price.

Like I mention, maybe you guys shld have two separate cat's, one for stands and one for full rigs (that's with a seat included).

Another informative episode guys! The Steadiplay wheelstand looks just about perfect. A little wobble but I don't see how that can be completely eliminated in a wheelstand. The adjustability looks amazing. If I ever decide to get a stand I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that one. With the exception of steering angle my G27 works perfectly on my desk so I am happy with my setup.

As far as the Lambo wheel goes, glad to see you don't pull any punches when it comes to product reviews. Not only does the community trust your advice, but the companies can improve their designs as we have seen with Playseat, Fanatec, and others.

I'm not a good enough driver to start Iracing yet, but I love the ability to spectate races. I can see that being very popular with championships on the line. Plus you can watch your friends race! I picked up the Simbin titles on Steam last night after watching your review and hearing good things from the forum posters. I'm excited, they will give me more variety after playing NFS Shift since getting my G27 :D

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Just from your vid, when you were using the Plei char and even when using the Rocker chair (assuming that is low), there is a def side to side motion. I get slight up and down with my Playseats Evo but I don't have that side to side that the Steadiplay chair shows. Maybe I just have my Evo locked down since I am only 5'9" :lol: .

Just from the score of 9.5 it implies it's near perfect, that means rigs will have hard time getting a scores near perefct to beat it. IMO I would pref to have any of the rig's SRT has reviewed (even the Bob Earl one) over any stand that has been reviewed any day.

Like I mention, maybe you guys shld have two separate cat's, one for stands and one for full rigs (that's with a seat included).

Obutto is more with shipping plus Obutto takes up a lot more room compared to this stand. This stand while wobbles has more adjustments than most rigs. If you have the space Obutto is no doubt a better buy but if you don't have the space to spare this stand seems to be the perfect option. This is especially true someone who wants to race on the couch in the living room.

I agree with the $299 including shipping would seem to be a fair price.

Obutto is more with shipping plus Obutto takes up a lot more room compared to this stand. This stand while wobbles has more adjustments than most rigs. If you have the space Obutto is no doubt a better buy but if you don't have the space to spare this stand seems to be the perfect option. This is especially true someone who wants to race on the couch in the living room.

I agree with the $299 including shipping would seem to be a fair price.

If you factor in that Obutto comes with a seat (tilt and slider), monitor stand, KB tray and shifter mount then decide what is a better deal even with the high Obutto shipping cost. The only possible weakness I see with the Obutto maybe is the wheel mount support. Its looks like it may wobble... :?: .

A good pt is that the Steadiplay seat is good for those that lack the room for full time rig and needs to have it fold away when not in use. Open and add a seat, it would prob take up as much space as the Obutto. This also brings up the subject of longevity. If left in place then really what space saving is there and if its constantly set up and broken down, how long will this stand last.

Who are they targeting this for. At that price you are getting into some serious sim racer gear territory. There are many good rigs close to that price pt. I wouldn't think many casual racer will spend that type of money on an accessory for the occasional race sim/game. They would prob get something well inder $200 like many of the stick stands cost. Just some IMO stuff :D .

@ Tinker

Obutto wheel mount has no play. The problem with it's wheel mount is when you want to clamp 360 or Fanatec wheels. Even if you want to hard mount the Fanatec wheel may be a problem as the support bar under the wheel mount (shape as a V) seems to be in the way of where you want to drill the holes. (you may be able to use 2 of the 4 holes without drilling though the 1" bar) I have found a way to used both my 360 and Fanatec wheel without hard mounting them. I know you are thinking about get an Obutto so I thought I let you know.

From my comment on Race Sim Central concerning the Steadiplay:

"I appreciate the fact that it’s made in the US and all, but $360 for an MDF stand is WAY too steep. They can say CNC machined this, powder-coated that, micro-textured, flobomulated blah-blah-blah; it still ain’t metal. For less, I could get an all metal Apiga (which seems to have addressed many of its initial weaknesses with a newer, improved version), a RennSport or a WheelStand Pro. This stand seems to be built by a couple guys in their garage who ran some numbers and said 'Yeah, this much profit will make it worth our while!' and set the price that way rather than making its price competitive with the rest of the existing market."

Also, you guys spelled 'minimal' wrong when saying the Lamborghini wheel had 'minimul' force-feedback in Win XP. I kind of cringed at that one.

Okoe Dokie

Thanks for the heads up. I might be able to use just two hard mounts along maybe the Fanatec clamp to secure the wheel. The Turbo S I mounted only with two screws since using the Fanatec template provided (also the holes were not center on the template) it located the wheel too far back for my liking so i move the wheel forward and use the two front holes on the Evo's wheel plate with the two back mounts of the wheel and its clamp to secure to my Evo. I was lucky the drilled holes work out, I didn't follow the template 100% else it would not have worked. I am just a little concern with the Obutto's wheel mount plate since it seems to have a lip at the bottom front. But hey that's what a Dremel tool is for.... :lol:

Sorry OT... :oops: .

From my comment on Race Sim Central concerning the Steadiplay:

"I appreciate the fact that it’s made in the US and all, but $360 for an MDF stand is WAY too steep. They can say CNC machined this, powder-coated that, micro-textured, flobomulated blah-blah-blah; it still ain’t metal. For less, I could get an all metal Apiga (which seems to have addressed many of its initial weaknesses with a newer, improved version), a RennSport or a WheelStand Pro. This stand seems to be built by a couple guys in their garage who ran some numbers and said 'Yeah, this much profit will make it worth our while!' and set the price that way rather than making its price competitive with the rest of the existing market."

I couldn't have said it better. I agree 100%... :ugeek:

I looked at making an MDF wheel stand 5 years ago but the problem I had was that once I got a half decent wheel instead of the logitech formula force I had too much up/down movement , plus nowhere made the sort of hinges I wanted for the wheel mounting surface, in the end I just lost motivation and it all died out and I stopped working on it. Worked quite well though.

gtrff01.jpg

my old website shows a few more pictures. http://www.freewebs.com/wheelaway/index.htm

Another great Episode guys. I especially liked the race highlights or post race report as you called it, for the NAGP series. I haven't seen you guys do this before put enjoyed it. Hope to see you do more of it, but next hopefully with an rFactor event ;)

I enjoyed the episode as always!...especially the iRacing teaser at the beginning. It looks like the Steadiplay needs to drop $100 to make it vaguely interesting in my opinion. As for the wheel...disappointing. Hopefully their 2.0 version will solve some of these issues..but it it's current state it's really a sub $100 wheel.

Surprising at GTR2 car came in so high but you guys really seemed to love it~

Thanks again for doing such a fun/informative show!

Good show!

The Steadiplay looks impressive to me. Agreed on the pricepoint being high for the material used. Smart design and fairly compact storage is worth something though. I almost expected the guys to wheel a toilet in there to sit on when testing it with all the different seats. LOL

The wheel...I liked all the buttons, my G27 has 6 on the wheel and I could always use more. Not sure I'd want buttons on the back of the wheel, but at least that's something different. The wheel itself looked like it was all hard plastic with no covering; I didn't hear a material mentioned. Even my 360 wheel has a nice rubber covering that I actually like a lot, a wheel doesn't have to use leather (although it's better ;) ). Otherwise, it sounded a lot like the 360 wheel on pc--it can work, but not well. I bet if you tried more games you'd find some where it was super wild or not sensitive enough to turn the wheels enough to be driveable. Market it as PS3 only and at $60 or so and I bet it would sell very well.

We have too many categories as it is. We scored it against other wheel stands.. Not against rigs like the Obutto..Can you fold an Obutto up to fit in your closet ?? Playseat yea, but not as small as the Steadiplay. Also, I would prefer not to have something coming up between my legs when racing ;-)

We have too many categories as it is. We scored it against other wheel stands.. Not against rigs like the Obutto..Can you fold an Obutto up to fit in your closet ?? Playseat yea, but not as small as the Steadiplay. Also, I would prefer not to have something coming up between my legs when racing ;-)

Actually I could with the Obutto by taking the seat section off from the front. I have a large walk in closet... :lol:, but then why would I since when I get a "rig" it's semi permanent. If I want to casual race with the 360/PS3 I can use the PWTS/Rennsport stand, my sim lite setup :D.

Darin & the gang,

Thank you for the NAGP coverage and the Saleen review, I really enjoyed it!

:D

Another great show and keep up the great work.

Darin, we'll have to get back to kicking each others' butts on the track one of these days.

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

Darin & the gang,

Thank you for the NAGP coverage and the Saleen review, I really enjoyed it!

:D

Another great show and keep up the great work.

Darin, we'll have to get back to kicking each others' butts on the track one of these days.

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris.. Our pleasure on the coverage ! I had a good time putting it together.

Last time we raced, we were teammates and I pretty much followed you around all season..hehe

I really want to get out there with you guys and run some GT cars. That race looked like a lot of fun !

Another great episode, guys! I'm SO looking forward to seeing Richmond at night on iRacing! The lighting effect as the cars were making their way around the track was even more impressive than I had imagined.

I also noticed during the Top Simcars segment that you had the ISR Dallara IndyCar mounted on the wall! I freaked when I saw it, lol. How did you guys get that mural done? I wouldn't mind doing something like that for one of my Digital Apex cars. :D

I'll have to check out the NAGP site. From the race report, it looks like it has some pretty competitive racing there.

As always, looking forward to the next episode!

Exceptional episode as always guys.

Glad you guys didn't hold any punches with rating that wheel. Maybe it'll convince these wheel makers to stop insulting our intelligence with these toy wheels and start making some real heavy duty ones. With that being said, I don't like any of Logitechs or Fanatec's wheels either, as they too are too toy-like for my tastes(yes that includes the G27 as well with its plastic housing) so I guess I'm sort of a stickler for all things metal and industrial ;)

re Iracing: I'm not a subscriber yet, but this news of being able to spectate plus Zolder and Spa in the future will push me over the edge! iRacing is getting better all time!

Exceptional episode as always guys.

Glad you guys didn't hold any punches with rating that wheel. Maybe it'll convince these wheel makers to stop insulting our intelligence with these toy wheels and start making some real heavy duty ones. With that being said, I don't like any of Logitechs or Fanatec's wheels either, as they too are too toy-like for my tastes(yes that includes the G27 as well with its plastic housing) so I guess I'm sort of a stickler for all things metal and industrial ;)

re Iracing: I'm not a subscriber yet, but this news of being able to spectate plus Zolder and Spa in the future will push me over the edge! iRacing is getting better all time!

The damage model and transmission are really cool too now !

The damage model and transmission are really cool too now !

Yup, I've read good things about over at RD. Supposedly the new tranny model makes shifting a lot harder on some cars, namely the Dallara and the Vette.

Yes, I tried Richmond at night and despite having a lot of problems controlling the truck for some reason, I thought it was cool. The weird thing Is I went into "test on track" and it was daytime. The new tranny model is challenging but that's realism. In rFactor I've blown up many transmissions.....flames and all the rest of it. :D All and all, an excellent update IMHO.