Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TX wheel rim - Alcantara covered mod

22 posts in this topic

I quite like the Thrustmaster TX wheel, but find the rim is very rubbery and a bit thin, so I set about modifying it yesterday.

£3.50 including postage for some Alcantara offcuts and lots of time / effort and here it is.

Here is the work log and bigger pictures: http://www.motormice.com/ForumImages/TXWheelMod/txcovered.html

It's far from perfect, but I'm quite happy with the result.  The key areas are covered well.

The improvement in the feel of the wheel is massive.  The slightly thicker rim and feel of the Alcantara really improves things.

post-17300-0-69508100-1390986927_thumb.j post-17300-0-05436700-1390986937_thumb.j post-17300-0-71075200-1390986945_thumb.j post-17300-0-98844500-1390986951_thumb.j

Very good job!

Once tried a similar mod but I found it very dificult so I quit and used tennis racket instead.

LOL

I ordered some leather and suede from Amazon. Also bought the thread. Once I had both, though, I realized the easy parts were now done. Never did get any further. Eventually just bought a real Momo wheel.

Hmm, very cool idea.  I am waaaay less than impressed with the feel of the TX wheel, and it's enough of a struggle with the wonky FFB as it is (granted I am using the OOTB settings, so things might get better).  How did you make the pattern for the Alcantara cover?

What pattern LOL.

I made the ring and then marked / cut it as best I could.

Then took it off and used the sewing machine to add stitching on both sides.

Then manually sewed it up through the machine stitches.

I also used some double sided tape top and bottom to stop the fabric moving.

(will come off if needed without causing damage).

It is worth getting the settings and feel right on this wheel, it's much better the more I use it.  in fact, with the cover, the feel is not really different to my Fanatec CSR Elite.

That would be a little too big I'm thinking.

Definitely. Specs on amazon say 37-39cm. Which makes sense, because most cars have HUGE wheels compared to racing cars. Maybe you could make it work on a 360mm wheel, but if you have a wheel that size, it's probably already got a nice cover on it. These things are just for people looking to add some bling to their passenger car.

These type of things are sold at Walmart too. And if you ever see them in personal, you realize you can stretch them bigger, but there's no way to have them grip a tiny sim wheel.

I suppose you could cut a large chunk of the bottom out and sew it back together there.

Some of those covers are really thick. I've driven on a car with one and hated it. You couldn't really clasp the inside of the wheel like you normally would, since that's where the opening on the grip is. It just felt really weird and unnatural to me.

I wish that cover was a little smaller, the Evo 8 MOMO in my Lancer is looking and feeling pretty rough and if I could find a nice cover I'd just cover it, but as it is I'm thinking I might be going back to the factory rim... anyways, back on topic! :lol:

Not really gone off topic, but boy if I had known I could have had a fury monster cover rather than that boring old Alacantara :shock:

Although these covers might be ok, they are a lot more expensive and nowhere near as good.  I bet they would move about.

What pattern LOL.

I made the ring and then marked / cut it as best I could.

Then took it off and used the sewing machine to add stitching on both sides.

Then manually sewed it up through the machine stitches.

I also used some double sided tape top and bottom to stop the fabric moving.

(will come off if needed without causing damage).

It is worth getting the settings and feel right on this wheel, it's much better the more I use it.  in fact, with the cover, the feel is not really different to my Fanatec CSR Elite.

t(ツ)_/¯  

Hey, what can I say - it looked good enough for production! :)  It also reminded me of a leather rebuild kit I did once for a wheel.  It was no picnic, and made me appreciate a well-done job.  FWIW, in my day I used to use 3M spray mastic for for jobs like this and interior trim fabrics.  Uniform application, what sticks stays there, and nothing to see or feel through the cloth / leather.

I work at an auto shop and getting my trimmer to trim a challenge wheel for me and trim my simulator seat in alcantara with leather on the side, just like my stock Evo 9 seats. I have a tx with 2 derek speares hub adapters. I don't use the stock wheel anymore, I use the gte add on for forza 5, a 310mm suede sparco for pc racing and a 350mm deep dish sparco for drifting which was in my mate last 2 drift cars :)

Great idea and nice job... After reading this I purchased some leather and will give this a try this weekend.

I found lots of youtube videos with tutorials on nice rim stitching technique. I hoping it will transform this wheel into something better looking and less toy like.

Thanks for the reply Stephen... It certainly does improve the look, even if the edges are not brilliantly finished, as on mine.

Having used the rim for a couple of weeks with the covering I can report that its the feel that's improved more than anything.  I'm really happy with it.

Been using the wheel a lot in Forza and iRacing and it just feels like a proper wheel (albeit rather small).

I'm wondering if the hide needed some backing to pad it out a little more and make the feeling slightly softer.  On balance I think no backing is best.

Enjoy doing yours, but be prepared for a long job and raw fingers :)

Hi, completed mine today with a soft gray leather, it now looks & feels much better.

Making accurate pattern is not easy because the rim change shape so many times. I have never leather wrapped a wheel before and it takes a lot of time to get it nice.

It was worth the effort because I like the feel & look, until I add on a real wheel and button box.

Thank you for the idea and inspiration. It's not an expensive mod but time consuming. Less than $15

post-3377-0-26226900-1392495304_thumb.jp

Hi, completed mine today with a soft gray leather, it now looks & feels much better.

Making accurate pattern is not easy because the rim change shape so many times. I have never leather wrapped a wheel before and it takes a lot of time to get it nice.

It was worth the effort because I like the feel & look, until I add on a real wheel and button box.

Thank you for the idea and inspiration. It's not an expensive mod but time consuming. Less than $15

Looks very soft to touch I mean comfy:)

Hi krassi, yes feels nice with good quality leather. It takes a while to make pattern and hand stitch. But is a very inexpensive mod, I found nice soft leather off cuts for only $3 sq ft. My wife helped stitch with machine first, then you loop hand thread through machine stitching, when it's pulled tight stitching looks good. Personally I disliked the standard rubber feel.