Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Throwback Thursday Discussion Thread

26 posts in this topic

Hey guys, as you likely saw on Thursday, I'm going to be starting a weekly piece called "Throwback Thursdays", touching on older racing titles, be it goofy, awesome, or the foundations of sim racing as we know it! I'm also going to be looking for ideas from the community, for some noteworthy titles worth covering. Here are the guidelines that I think are fair for a "Throwback" title:

-Over ten years old (2004 or older)

-Has to be a racing title (don't care if it is lawn mower racing, sci-fi, or even drag racing. If it has an engine and races, fine by me)

I think that's about it! Looking forward to hearing some of your suggestions! :)

EDIT: I have changed this to the official thread to discuss Throwback Thursdays. Feel free to continue sharing ideas, I will take them into consideration :) 

Grand Prix 2 is where it was at.  Had a huge mod scene.  That's where I began.

Then there's the obvious Papy games like NASCAR and IndyCar Racing.

Don't miss Mobil 1 Rally Championship 2000... modern rally games still haven't offered stages this long.

Not just the original version either but the Senna version :wink:

Right, you can tell because Super Monaco GP used different letters than SMGP2... I never had part 2, just the original.

It was funny that after you won the first season with the best car (Madonna) a driver named G.Ceara (based on Senna, although I didn't know that until later) would challenge you and win your seat and then you'd have to move your way back up the ladder. I HATED that, because he seemingly couldn't be beat, but I found out YEARS later online that you could beat him and keep your ride!

Well, it's that time again. The next Throwback Thursday is out! Since last week we covered one of the greatest F1 titles covering the classic Formula 1 years, I thought it would be appropriate to cover one of the greatest modern Formula 1 sims!

http://www.isrtv.com/pc-racing/throwback-thursdays-grand-prix-4/

Check it out :D

You should cover Viper Racing for PC ~ 1998. Awesome game

My favourite memory from that game is that it had a flip car button and every time you pressed it the car would take more damage until it totally compacted itself.

The damage modelling was pretty crazy and you could pretty much crush the car down to the size of a single wheel just by flipping the car.

If you got the bounce right you could get up to some wicked speeds as the car goes cartwheeling down the road.

trashed-viper.png