Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TX One Review

32 posts in this topic

Good review.  I ordered the wheel yesterday (from radio shack.com....$320), along with the GTE rim.  

I see amazon has now pulled the TX off of their site due to "issues reported by customers".  Guess they are having too many returns because of failed units.  

Good review.  I ordered the wheel yesterday (from radio shack.com....$320), along with the GTE rim.  

I see amazon has now pulled the TX off of their site due to "issues reported by customers".  Guess they are having too many returns because of failed units.  

Your quote is way off base. If you're going to post something like that, get your facts straight please before assuming it's due to failed units. 

This is Amazons exact quote.. 

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Yeah. You can't really read too much into it. I have some flour that I have shipped every month with Subscribe and Save, and every once in a while, it gets flagged and suspended. It used to make me mad, now I just roll with it since it's pretty temporary. I mean, it's specialty flour. What can possibly be people's problem? And if they object to the taste, don't fricking buy any more. Problem solved.

Your quote is way off base. If you're going to post something like that, get your facts straight please before assuming it's due to failed units. 

This is Amazons exact quote.. 

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

When you look at all the 1-star reviews including many verified purchases that fail either out of the box, or shortly there-after, I dont think its too far off base to assume amazon pulled the product because of this.  Why would you think they pulled the product??

In your review you stated that the bolts for securing the Tx458 to cockpits/stands are the same as the t500...given that do you think this wheel stand would fit?:  http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/the-7/Steering-Wheel-Stands-for/Detail    It does not mention tx458 in the specs, but I am guessing it will fit, including the TH8A shifter when its released..   

Thanks

Jeff

I like your suggestion for Thrustmaster to sell a standalone base.  I'm a little bit tempted to switch just for the smaller base alone but I don't think that's enough to persuade me and especially since you said you couldn't tell the difference between the T500 and the TX when using it on the PC.

I think this would be a superb wheel for newcomers on console that then transition to PC. 

Those pedals though are a definite backward step which is kinda good for us T500 owners because when I decide to upgrade to HPP pedals there'll be demand by TX owners for my T500 pedals with a Bodin Load Cell :smile:

Hi guys,

I saw the review and need some help.

I currently have a Fanatec GT2 and it has been one of the most miserable sim racing experiences of my life. The wheel and Clubsport pedals are brilliant when they work. But when they don't Fanatec don't seem interested. They have had them back 3 times now to fix the same fault and refuse to replace. So I am looking to replace it with something else.  (rant over)

The 2 wheel sets shall we call them I am looking at are the Thrustmaster TX with the T3PA pedals and when launched its shifter. The second is another fanatec product Clubsport Wheel, with Clubsport V2 pedals and Clubsport shifter. 

It will mostly be used on PC games such as Iracing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2 and project cars. It may also get used in Forza 5 but it isn't a deal breaker. 

I use all sorts of cars such as road, GT, Touring Car, F1 etc so the pedals and shifters are just as important. It is also important as this isn't just a hobby but it is used as a training tool for my real life racing too.

Any help and comparisons would be very much appreciated.

Max

Nice review Darin,very pleased with my TX wheel but was wondering if you have heard of a release window for the tp3a pedal set,I have grown used to the cheap set that comes with the wheel but would prefer a more progressive brake feel.

Nice review Darin,very pleased with my TX wheel but was wondering if you have heard of a release window for the tp3a pedal set,I have grown used to the cheap set that comes with the wheel but would prefer a more progressive brake feel.

I will hopefully have more info on the pedals next week. I plan on doing my review for them as well. 

Hi guys,

I currently have a Fanatec GT2 and it has been one of the most miserable sim racing experiences of my life. The wheel and Clubsport pedals are brilliant when they work. But when they don't Fanatec don't seem interested. They have had them back 3 times now to fix the same fault and refuse to replace. So I am looking to replace it with something else.  (rant over)

The 2 wheel sets shall we call them I am looking at are the Thrustmaster TX with the T3PA pedals and when launched its shifter. The second is another fanatec product Clubsport Wheel, with Clubsport V2 pedals and Clubsport shifter. 

It will mostly be used on PC games such as Iracing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2 and project cars. It may also get used in Forza 5 but it isn't a deal breaker. 

I use all sorts of cars such as road, GT, Touring Car, F1 etc so the pedals and shifters are just as important. It is also important as this isn't just a hobby but it is used as a training tool for my real life racing too.

Max

If you have it in your budget for the CSW, you may want that. Not really in the same price point and wheel type as the TX One. If you get the CSW, the BMW rim is very large and not really good for F1 style racing. I also wouldn't get the V2 Clubsport pedals if you already have the V1 and they are working good. I don't feel much of a difference between the two except for the clutch. 

If you have it in your budget for the CSW, you may want that. Not really in the same price point and wheel type as the TX One. If you get the CSW, the BMW rim is very large and not really good for F1 style racing. I also wouldn't get the V2 Clubsport pedals if you already have the V1 and they are working good. I don't feel much of a difference between the two except for the clutch. 

Thanks Darin

Hi guys,

Max

I got a TX wheel about a month ago and have used it for Forza 5 primarily, but I also tested it with iRacing.  I also have owned a T500RS since 2012 and have used it extensively with iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, rFactor 1 and 2, GT5 and GT6.  I bought a Clubsport wheel last April and used that extensively on the PC and PS3 until a week ago.  I have decided to stick with the TX for Forza 5 and I will use the T500 for PC sim racing and GT6 on my PS3.  I sold my Clubsport wheel.  Here is why.

When I got the TX in December, I also got the GTE and F1 rims.  The stock TX rim is a plastic toy, like Darin notes in his review, but I absolutely love the GTE rim.  Like the GT rim on the T500, it is solid metal covered by a high quality rubber material.  It also has paddle shifters that move with the rim and a sensible button layout.  The stock pedals with the TX are adequate for the job, but certainly nothing to write home about.  They are inferior to the stock T500 pedals and the Clubsports.  The TX works very well with Forza 5 and so I am sticking with it and have it mounted to my Rennsport wheel stand.   I usually use the GTE rim, but will occasionally swap out the F1 rim.  When I ran the TX with iRacing, I liked it a lot.  I have no reason to quarrel with Darin's comparison to the T500.

I loved my Clubsport wheel and continue to believe it is the premiere wheel you can buy in a reasonable price range for use on the PC.  The Formula and BMW rims are the best in their class, they feel absolutely perfect.  The FFB on the Clubsport wheel is smooth and precise, although admittedly it is not as powerful as the FFB on the T500 or the TX.  For you road racers, if your budget can withstand it, the Clubsport wheel is definitely the best option reasonable amounts of money can buy.  For oval racing, I would say its a toss up between the Clubsport wheel and the T500.  I just do not feel the need for such precise FFB in oval racing, and the GT rim is fine.  Maybe its just me.  I also can tell you that the small LCD screen on the Clubsport wheel is an excellent perk, I miss it already.

The problem is that I could not justify to my wife keeping three premiere wheels.  The TX is the only game in town for the Xbox One.  I have no faith that Mad Catz or Fanatec will be offering a competing Xbox One wheel anytime soon.  So, the TX is not going anywhere, it is my wheel of choice for Forza 5.  I also believe that the FFB on the T500 feels better in GT6 than the FFB on the Clubsport wheel in GT6.  For whatever reason, GT6 seems to be optimized for GT6, but it is not optimized for use with the Clubsport wheel.  Don't get me wrong, the FFB on the Clubsport wheel in GT6 is good, its just not as good as what you get on the T500.  I also love the feel of my T500 pedals with the softer Basherboards brake mod.  I now prefer the T500 pedals over my Clubsports!  So, I have the T500 pedals mounted to my cockpit for use with the T500 for PC and GT6 on the PS3.  Basherboards is soon going to release an adapter for the T500 and TX wheel that will allow us to hook up Clubsports directly to those wheels, which means I can use my Clubsports with the TX for Forza 5 on the Xbox One.  The F1 and GTE rims will work with both the TX and T500.  And, my little girl wants another American Girl Doll for her birthday in April.

So, I am sticking with the TX and T500, and have sold the Clubsport wheel.  Yes, I no longer own the best reasonably priced wheel in sim racing, but the two alternatives are working well for me.  I always had high regard for my T500, that is partly why I never sold it even after buying the Clubsport wheel.  

IMO, the TX is the best (and only) wheel option for Xbox One, the T500 is the best option for PS3, particularly GT6, and the Clubsport wheel is the best option for PC sim racing.  If PC sim racing is your thing, and your budget can afford it, go with the Clubsport wheel.  If you want to race on both the PC and PS3, and if your budget is somewhat lower, than the T500 is the way to go.  But, the TX is also an excellent option for PC sim racing, its just that you will need to spend in the $600 or so range to get a good rim (GTE) and pedals (T3PA) with it.

I hope this helps guys.  Too many sims, too little time!!!

When you look at all the 1-star reviews including many verified purchases that fail either out of the box, or shortly there-after, I dont think its too far off base to assume amazon pulled the product because of this.  Why would you think they pulled the product??

In your review you stated that the bolts for securing the Tx458 to cockpits/stands are the same as the t500...given that do you think this wheel stand would fit?:  http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/the-7/Steering-Wheel-Stands-for/Detail    It does not mention tx458 in the specs, but I am guessing it will fit, including the TH8A shifter when its released..   

Thanks

Jeff

My TX gave me some heartburn at first, particularly calibration issues, but once I contacted Thrustmaster support and got instructions for resetting my Xbox One's USB ports, the problems went away.  Yes, the TX has some bad amazon reviews, but so does the T500 and yet most of us agree that is a superb wheel.  The TX clearly was rushed out for a brand new platform.  That suggests to me that there were going to be issues.  All electronics have failure rates, particularly when they are brand new.  

As a proud TX owner, I can tell you to buy with confidence.

I personally prefer the Formula rim over the BMW rim for F1 style racing.  If you want to do that, get the Formula rim.  The BMW rim is too large IMO for that kind of racing.

I just ordered this wheel and it should arrive tomorrow. I have a seat coming as well from playseat, and I wanted to clarify-- it's an M6 bolt to mount the components to the seat? Do I need to know the length on the bolt or is it just a standard length on the M6?

Secondly, I've never owned a wheel before, where is a good place to get started with some tips on how to tune the settings on it?

Thanks!

Chances are the PlaySeat will have the wheel mounting bolts, years ago when I got a PlaySeat Evolution, it came with the bolts.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

I just bought mine as well and looking forward to using it once I get my new pc up and running but I have just found out something that concerns me.  I just read from another user of the TX wheel that he pushed his ffb to the 100% max and it smoked after a long session of racing.  This doesn't sound acceptable and it has me worried because that is the real reason I bought it to replace my G27.  Comments?

I just bought mine as well and looking forward to using it once I get my new pc up and running but I have just found out something that concerns me.  I just read from another user of the TX wheel that he pushed his ffb to the 100% max and it smoked after a long session of racing.  This doesn't sound acceptable and it has me worried because that is the real reason I bought it to replace my G27.  Comments?

I have over 2000 miles on my TX458 in forza. The first 1500 miles it was perfect.  Including some 3-4 hour sessions. I have FFB set to 65% and rumble set to 70%.  

The last couple days I started having heat related issues (i think).  The rumble effects will just stop completely.  Sometimes its 5 minutes after starting the game, sometimes its 15 laps into a rivals race.  I assume its overheating because the fans are running full blast and if I just pause the game and wait 5 minutes rumble will start working again.  The fact that it happens sometimes really soon into starting a session worries me.  

So I am considering returning it, not decided yet.

Chances are the PlaySeat will have the wheel mounting bolts, years ago when I got a PlaySeat Evolution, it came with the bolts.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Thanks Jack... I'll hold off on running to get bolts until I see what's in the box with the playseat.