iRacing FOV - how to - optimium angle and FOV for realistic view
6 6

49 posts in this topic

I ended up going close to 87%^ because I found at 57% the steering wheel was over 4 feet wide and I was unable to see past the A pillar for turn in. Thank you for the seat position tip I ended up going the opposite direction lowering the dash to better fit my point of view behind the wheel. The photo attached is of my current starter setup and plan to build something to fit he middle of the couch due to it being modular and all parts are mounted to a frame. However that may be a ways off due to other home projects.

post-17346-0-88389500-1390761530_thumb.j

I'm starting from scratch and trying to solve for two variables 1) preferred seating distance 2) preferred monitor angle 

My seating distance and monitor angles are easily adjustable with the use of the RSeat platform (RS1 seat and Triple monitor stand)

I am running triple monitors that are 620mm (24.4 inches) wide.   Any input on optimal seating distance and/ or monitor angle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HI, the calculator in the first post is there to help with that.

for 620mm monitors, if you want 179 FOV you should sit 21.3 inches (541mm) from your center monitor to your eyes.

the side monitors should be 59.6 degrees from the back plane. 

@sebj  Thank you for the specs. I'll try the adjustment over the weekend.

I've tried to download the calculator and had no luck.  Just tried again and it works?? go figure.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Hey guys. New around here. Just getting stated. I stumbled accross this and am looking for the calculator download. Can't seem to find where it is. Could some one point me to it in case it was removed?

Thanks!

HI, the calculator in the first post is there to help with that.

for 620mm monitors, if you want 179 FOV you should sit 21.3 inches (541mm) from your center monitor to your eyes.

the side monitors should be 59.6 degrees from the back plane. 

these are my exact numbers...give or take a .0,   and its stunning,  numbers work in ac too,  really puts you in the car...should be stickied .    thanks again seb.

got the calculator, thanks. a few questions. i have triple BeQ 27" monitors that have outside bezel to bezel 25.5 inches and viewing of 23.5 inches. My angle is aprox 55, Seating around 29 inches away I have a FOV of 140 in the RUF GT3

do you guys change your FOV per car? 

doesn't the iracing FOV calcs do the same thing as the calculator?

assume you find your desired FOV and then adjust your seating position or too people leave their seating position alone and adjust the FOV?

where in iracing can you adjust your seat height? 

Edited by jame04

Hi, yes iRacing does the same Calculation. This Calc is useful to plan orientation of your setup prior. 

You can press altF12 in reply mode while in cockpit view to adjust seat height. Then save the cam file per car. Leave fov same for all cars.

well I used the FOV as set by iracing. wasn't perfect as I measured the viewing distance myself and used a poor template for angle, but I did set my fastest lap, at one point by 3 secs but I cut a corner and gave back 1.2 of it, and hit my highest MPH by far. I was wondering why so many cars were passing me on the long straights. I knew they must have had faster exit speeds but I had know idea by how much. I will say it takes some getting used too and still think I need to make some adjustments. At first it was like I was back seat driving.

So is it accurate that if you have the right equipment you should always try for 179 FOV when running three monitors? I would have to sit 20 inches from my monitors and have 60 degree angle, not sure if that is possible or if I would like it.

Edited by jame04