Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry, Probably been asked but... doesnt make sense

8 posts in this topic

My first post here... Sorry it is asking for help.  :(

Just got into this whole racing sim thing and and have built my first rig. Still need to get a computer and get some "real" simulators, but figured I get started with Gran Tourismo as it is what I am most familiar with.

So hopefully, if I can get this issue below figured out I will be able to post up some other stuff here an become a part of this awesome community.

Just bought the G27 second hand. Supposedly only used 2 weeks though. Had all original packaging, was in all the plastic, the warranty card/instruction manuals were not even opened.

I plugged it into my PS3 with GT6 and it works fine it seems, although this is my first FFB wheel and my assumption is that there shouldn't be such a large "dead" area on center. (I would say the dead area is roughly 5 degrees, and gets worse the higher the vehicle speed. Is this normal? I mean, I can say the dead area get larger, but the cars get darn near scary at higher speeds with the FFB grabbing the wheel then letting go at those speeds. I have driven many cars at higher than these speeds before and real cars do not feel this way, I can assure you. haha!)

My big issue though, and what I am writing this post about (although the above issue may be related) is that all the sudden the wheel will just lose all control of the wheel. All other buttons work, but no steering input control and no FFB. The light on the shifter is blinking which I have read means something to the affect of the motors losing power or something? I have maybe noticed that it does this more often when I am making pretty large corrections such as counter steering. But it has happened twice when another AI car has just bumped me near the front of my car at low speed. And it has occurred while just driving down the road in a straight line as well. Not quite sure what to chalk this up to.

Every once in awhile it will all the sudden recalibrate and all will be normal (other than the odd 5 degree dead zone thing noted above), but at least the wheel will turn my car with FFB.

I have read something about tightening some screws or super gluing some sensor thing but these instances usually occur after quite a while of use from what I have read?

Again, every time I pull the USB out of PS3 and plug it back in it has reset, could this be a PS3 USB issue?  Have never had any detectable USB issue with my PS3 over the years.

Any thoughs, ideas, links to look at would be much appreciated.

Might try hitting the USB ports on your PS3 with some canned air, also make sure your power connectors and plugs are firmly seated in their sockets, all updates are run, ect... if that doesn't help try it on your PC, DL the driver from Logitech annd just pull down Raceroom Racing Experience off of Steam, it's free and has great G27 support, and if it's still not working... you got a bad one, so either try to get a refund, or hope you got such a great deal you can sell it for parts and make your money back.

Ok.. thanks for the help!

- The first thing I did was make sure there were no wire pinches or anything going on after I read it was motors losing power. I pulled the wheel off and put duct tape on the wires to they could not move. They duct taped the bottom where the wire tracks are. I cant imagine the wire is coming lose, broken maybe? But not lose from connector in wheel.

- To the point of updating the G27 or rather "making sure all updates are run" I cannot so much do this with the PS3 correct? Updates are only applicable to PC software and games? Or is there some internal memory on the wheel that will accept a software update?

- My PS3 is pretty old and dusty. I blew it out 6 months ago or so, but maybe I will give it a go for S&G's. But I have never had any issues with the USB ports before this.

- I really do appreciate the quick responces guys. Looks like this is a great community.

To clarify, neither of these issues anyone see's assocaited with the loose optical device or whatever I have read about on here?

When I refer to updates I am actually referring to the PS3 and GT6 itself, yes. The G27 doesn't have any ugradable firmwares that I know of, but the PS3 and it's games like to update ALL THE TIME. 

Ya.. I figured that is what you meant. My PS3 is fully updated and so is GT6.

New update.. I just was doing the International A license on the last test which is the rally stage. It will lose its "ish" every time now I jump the second jump to the left. Lots of inputs coming to the wheel with rocks and road debris what have you, and lots of counter steer and stuff then the wheel just goes limp and I get the blinking light.

Blew out my USB ports.. no updates to be had.

I am going to try the race room prog and see if its fully recognized there as a last resort.

Any other ideas are welcome. I guess I might have gotten screwed for the first time off Craglist. hah!

The force feedback issues have to do with the wheel itself. The deadzone issue has alot to do with the game because it was designed for controllers, not wheels. The deadzone is there to keep the car straight when you are on using the joystick