Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4gb patch necessary?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I remember applying the "4gb" patch to GTR2 so that I could run 50+ cars on grid with no stutters. I thought this patch was only necessary for older sims, by I saw it recently in an rFactor 2 mod website and I'm just wondering if anyone is actually using it?

Thanks!

I apply it just incase.  Does it actually make any difference?  Don't know.  Try asking on the official ISI RFactor 2 forums, I'm sure someone can help you there.  InsideSimRacing doesn't seem as RFactor friendly ever since they went to the darkside of getting sponsored/support from a company that directly makes a product (Iracing) in the field/genre that the show revolves around and reviews (racing simulations).  Should have much better success with your question in the official ISI/RF2 forums.

I haven't tested the 4GB patch yet, but it's worth a shot! 

We will likely have some more RF2 content coming soon though :) One of the reasons we have not covered it too much is, to be frank, it's still in development, and there hasn't been too much to cover compared to other, more complete titles out. We'll take a closer look at RF2 in the near future.

We will likely have some more RF2 content coming soon though :) One of the reasons we have not covered it too much is, to be frank, it's still in development, and there hasn't been too much to cover compared to other, more complete titles out. We'll take a closer look at RF2 in the near future.

Glad to hear it!  I will try that 4 gb patch as soon as I head back downstairs :-P

But it drives sooooooooooo good :). What happened to the good ol days about just general simracing, doing laps, talking about cars, talking about tracks, describing the pure racing part, it wasn't a "professional review of completed products" show, but instead as the name "insideSIMRACING" implies, a show about just that, the pure driving/racing aspect of "hardcore" racing simulations :).

Hope we get back to that someday, a much more technical and intrinsic show that was much deeper into simracing and felt like it was coming from more of a racecar driver's point of view, rather than "just another group of guys reviewing video games" type of show coming from "just another video game reviewer's" point of view like it has been feeling for a while now.

One of the things Darin and I are hoping to do is bring the show back to its roots, and get back to the essence of sim racing, which basically is getting to drive freaking awesome cars we may never even get to see in real life! We are definitely going to try to try to have more racing action and rF2 soon.

Regarding 4 GB patch, there has been discussions about rF2 going 64 bit in the future, and there I'm pretty sure that it's mentioned that 4 GB patch wasn't necessary since it was handled from the start. 

Also, It sure sounds good with "back to the roots"! I must say I've lost track of insidesimracing since the changes (can't get the hang of the website layout) and the (from my point of view) skewed focus on certain titles. I want to hear news and opinions about good simracing, including this amazing sim I drive in my league.

I can find several articles about for example unfinished renders of cars from one product, or cover of weekly releases of a driving sim (not racing yet). I can't find a single mention about the current build (which soon will be replaced with a new one), or even the latest (and amazing) officially released car from rF2. 

Yes, I know rF2 needs work, but still... It is (when it comes to driving/feeling) an absolutely stunning product, and if you have the hardware it's visually very nice.

Not sure if that question was for anyone special, but as far as I am (and the other people in my league are) concerned it is definately worth every single penny.

We've had two full seasons with Megane, first one a bit buggy with broken pitstops etc. and this second season flawless. We've also had a mid-season with Lola t280, which was interesting to say the least! Next season will propably be with the Honda Civic since it's an absolute blast driving BTCC style with constant physical contact for an entire 40 minute race.

My league mates are bloody fast, and skilled drivers, some have been testers for Simbin and Reiza products. and we all agree that for league racing, rF2 is the king of the hill at the moment. The physics, force feedback, raceability and the genereal driving feel is unparallelled.

(plus, "worth the money" is really a non-issue as long as iRacing is an alaternative. $84 for lifetime inc. loads and loads of content...)

Not sure if that question was for anyone special, but as far as I am (and the other people in my league are) concerned it is definately worth every single penny.

We've had two full seasons with Megane, first one a bit buggy with broken pitstops etc. and this second season flawless. We've also had a mid-season with Lola t280, which was interesting to say the least! Next season will propably be with the Honda Civic since it's an absolute blast driving BTCC style with constant physical contact for an entire 40 minute race.

My league mates are bloody fast, and skilled drivers, some have been testers for Simbin and Reiza products. and we all agree that for league racing, rF2 is the king of the hill at the moment. The physics, force feedback, raceability and the genereal driving feel is unparallelled.

(plus, "worth the money" is really a non-issue as long as iRacing is an alaternative. $84 for lifetime inc. loads and loads of content...)

Thanks mate! Exactly what I was looking for!

>Cheers!< J.A.R.V.I.S.

Just one thing.. If you compare other titles "triple screen-multiview-HDR-max on everything" performance with rF2, you're in for a shock.. You can make rF2 look really good, but it takes one hell of a computer!

I'm running on a stock i5 and a stock 7970 with multiview on 3x27", I have no issues with framerate despite using multiview, but I have to keep settings really low. Personally (and once the adrenaline starts pumping) I couldn't care less, I'm in it for the racing, not the scenery, but i can understand those who say it looks dated with HDR off and low settings. (Also, auto settings are crap)

Though, that being said... once the time goes towards late afternoon, the slight reddish hue on the sky, shadows get longer... then it's beautiful even on my crappy system. :)

Best of luck with your decision. 

(I like your rig by the way)