Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm having a hard time picking a wheel....

16 posts in this topic

Basically I don't have £500+ for a wheel alone, and I was going to buy the G27 as it seemed like the best bang for your buck, however the Xbox One doesn't support it. I'm mainly a PC guy, I've just been playing all these racers with a controller and I'm at a high enough point now where it just isn't good enough any more. I really want a wheel, but they're so expensive (for me at least) that I do not want to buy one and it becomes obsolete in a year and not compatible with anything. I find it crazy that Forza 5 comes out as a launch flagship game and Microsoft only launched with one working wheel with missing features.

I don't know if I'm going to stick with the Xbox One, I mean Forza 5 has the worst menu design, the online sucks and feels dead, there are so few tracks and cars, the music sucks, all the cars I want are locked behind hours and hours of grinding or a huge pay wall and there is no qualifying or anything like that. Then I have all the problems with the console like false advertising of how the TV stuff works, Insanity and P90X not actually being on Xbox Fitness as advertised etc etc. At this point I should be selling the Xbox One and waiting for racing games on the PS4 as it seems like those consoles have a better history of supporting wheels than Microsoft. Which I find even more mental as Microsoft make Windows and the Xbox One has three operating systems running in the background, one of which is Windows 8. 

However I dunno why (maybe I'm too lazy to sell) but I'm just going to stick with the Xbox One and try to get into Forza 5. This is my first console since the Original Playstation, I had no idea of all the compatibility issues as I'm not used to them on the PC...

- Do I buy that Thrustmaster Xbox One wheel?

- Will I be able to use it on iracing, Assetto Corsa and F1 2013 on the PC?

- I heard it only comes with 2 pedals and no gear stick.... do I wait for them to come out? How much extra will that cost?

- Do I just ditch this head ache of a machine and get a G27 and stick to the PC?

- What is that Mad Catz wheel that is coming out next year like and will it be expensive?

I need a wheel but the Xbox One has made it a hard choice, I'm not prepared to pay loads of money for one either as I just don't have the money spare, I drive/ride a £600 bike and a £800 car lol. I feel really sorry for the people who spent loads on those Forza 4 wheels expecting them to work with the Xbox One, you'd think that would be common sense to support those.

Also am I missing anything else? Are there better alternatives?

Thanx.

I'll tackle your Q's!

- Do I buy that Thrustmaster Xbox One wheel? - If you want to play on XBOX One, that seems to be your best (only) bet.

- Will I be able to use it on iracing, Assetto Corsa and F1 2013 on the PC? - Yep.

- I heard it only comes with 2 pedals and no gear stick.... do I wait for them to come out? How much extra will that cost? - That's right. You'd have to. Cost wise I'd expect at least $100US each... You can use the T500's pedal set and rims tho, and the TH8RS shifter (ONLY on PC) as it's an independent USB device. 

- Do I just ditch this head ache of a machine and get a G27 and stick to the PC? - Depends on how much you want to play Forza I guess! :lol:

- What is that Mad Catz wheel that is coming out next year like and will it be expensive? - It's another FFB wheel, it also has 2 pedals and no shifter, and no upgrade path as of this time, although they have mentioned swappable rims. I'd expect pricing in the $300US to $400US range.

Right now on the XBO your choices are VERY limited, and if you want to play Forza pretty much the TX is the only show in town... that said MadCatz would have to pull a MAJOR rabbit out of it's hat to release a better wheel and their track record isn't the best. PC wise, lots of options, and the G27 is a solid one especially for the price... but it's not as good a wheel as the TX is. If you want to keep it "cheap" tho you won't do any better IMO than the G27.

No perfect answer to your situation exists, unfortunately.  IMO, the best investment you can make with a wheel is to buy it for use primarily with the PC.  There are a lot of great sims out for pc, few for consoles. Also, mid to high end wheels tend to perform significantly better with pc sims regarding FFB.  Not sure why but it probably has soemething to do with the fact that pc sims are played with a wheel a significant % of the time where console sims are played with a wheel a very small % of the time. An example of this is the GT series on playstation 3 vs. pc sims with my G25 wheel.  It works fine with Gran Turismo but the ffb is comparitively weak & not as detailed vs. pc sims.

I can't speak to Forza 5 as I have only played it with a controller.  It seems to advance the ball for the Forza series in a number of areas...including handling.  But the wheel situation is more limiting, no doubt. In the end, as entertaining as Forza or GT are, if you are at the point where you want to get more serious (ie: get a wheel) then you should perhaps consider focusing first on the PC unless funds will hold you back.

Do Thrustmaster have a good track record of supporting their devices? Like if I got their Xbox One wheel, is it guaranteed to last me a long time on the PC as well? I don't want to find out that it's hard to get spares, has no driver support and no extra wheels work on it as I want to buy an F1 wheel for it eventually. I know I could get a G27 and be safe, just buying the Xbox One wheel is a bit of a gamble.

I feel like a bit of a sucker really, I dunno why I want to continue to play Forza 5, I just like the handling and the controller is really hard to not over correct or lock your brakes. Trying to race round in an Atom with every assist off and the A.I on the hardest, I'm winning, but it's not fun, it's too hard to control and I'm hoping a wheel just makes it a lot easier. 

Personally I love my Fanatec setup. You can get a Fanatec GT2 it's compatible with Xbox, PS, and PC. The pedals are great as well and I am waiting to get a hold of a nice shifter, either TH8RS or Fanatecs Clubsport Shifter, Fanatec is a bit pricey but GRRREAT products. Only problem is you have to purchase each item separately and it's shipped overseas so it will take a little while but not all that long to get your items. I did extensive youtube and web surfing to finally decide on just shoveling out the extra $ for Fanatec and I am in no way disappointed. 

You will notice an instant sense of realism with wheel and pedals but it is for sure a learning curve as real racing would be. Also, A LOT of fine tuning if you are sensitive to having it be as real as possible and exactly how you expect it to be.

I just don't support a product I cannot get natively here in the UK, it always becomes a pain because it takes ages to go through customs, you end up having to pay loads of tax and if anything goes wrong with it then it's a pain to get it sorted.

It's either G27, Thrustmaster Xbox One edition or wait for more options......

I just don't know how much I can trust Thrustmaster to support that wheel?

I just don't support a product I cannot get natively here in the UK, it always becomes a pain because it takes ages to go through customs, you end up having to pay loads of tax and if anything goes wrong with it then it's a pain to get it sorted.

It's either G27, Thrustmaster Xbox One edition or wait for more options......

I just don't know how much I can trust Thrustmaster to support that wheel?

TM is reputable, so I don't think you need to worry about that. Look around the forums and I'm sure you'll find horror stories about any company, but people seem happy with Thrustmaster. I can tell you first hand that Logitech's support is pretty top notch too.

I just bought the G27, I couldn't find where I could buy a pedal set on their own for the Thrustmaster, just looked like you have to buy the whole set :\

Any ways I'll ebay the Xbox One, just too much effort to put up with their bullshit.

That may be for the best. I'm not going to commit to a new system until next Christmas, although I do want a next gen machine, I'll wait to see how the games selection stacks up and of course, the reliability.

Hope you enjoy the G27!

I cancelled that wheel and got a Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Integral T500 package for £400 instead. Normally I don't see them being sold in the UK and that is the type of wheel I wanted any ways, if I bought the T500RS package I'd have to spend £100+ on the F1 wheel as well, so I thought bargain! 

Thinking of selling it already lol, there aren't any good games really for it, I don't like AC, it is just has no game to it and iRacing doesn't feel like racing, just feels like Forza 5 where you lap round and that's it and it is too serious... doesn't help the graphics look like a PS2 game either. 

The only game I like is F1 2013 because it feels like racing, the only game that captures the spirit of it but that has so many issues of its own that will never get fixed as CM have failed to in 4 years. Not only that but I'm as fast with a controller as I am with a wheel so I see no point what so ever with this game...

What ever happened to the good racers where they had so many sim components, even more so than F1 has with the fuel and tyres, pitstops and strategies. I love how I can do a coop championship with my friend, 100% races with qualifying and practise and it feels like I'm part of F1 and doing it!

All these other racers are just boring car games and aren't racers at all. 

I might try GT6 some more, see what that is all about, I just hope it has championships and not that stupid Forza career bullshit which a career it is not, give me some story or something! 

With all of your negative feedback on everything that is offered over several threads, it seems like nothing is going to be up to your standards other then real world racing. You might just want to start saving and go that route.

GT's career is what it has always been... compete the series, unlock the next series, earn some credits, buy some cars. No story.

Try DIRT or GRID if you want something a little more interactive on the "career" front... I also liked the championship mode in NASCAR Inside Line, but I know that's not for everyone. But you get sponsors and team offers, upgrades and all that. 

As far as faster goes, you probably SHOULD be faster with a controller, as your reactions should be almost instant compared to moving a whole wheel or pedal... having a wheel is more about fun and interaction.

iRacing doesn't feel like racing, just feels like Forza 5 where you lap round and that's it and it is too serious... doesn't help the graphics look like a PS2 game either. 

This made me chuckle for so many reasons, so much so that I just don't know quite how to reply to it.

Did you expect to just jump into iRacing without any practice and not take it too seriously? It's competition against real people, some of whom put in many hours of practice each week, so you've got to take it seriously. 

The fun starts when you see results from all your practice. Winning your first race in iRacing is an experience filled with emotions that I have never had with the many racing titles I have tried over the years.

Are you looking to get into sim racing or stick to console racing, cause that's the choice you got to make.  There's no sim that has stunning graphics, ultra realistic physics and is fun to play with console-like elements, it just doesn't exist yet.

There are many ways to answer you and many different answers will be right. If you want to try some titles on PC and try Forza 5 - TX is the only reassonable answer.... if you dont plan to buy PS4 you dont need other wheel than TX...