Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Wheel for New Racer

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

New to the forum but long time subscriber to the YouTube Channel.

For years i've been into my sim racing and now i'd like to start buying the kit to go with my PC.

I'd like to make a decent investment into getting a wheel. Preferably i'd like to get one that's reliable.

The 3 i've short listed are the G27, T500 RS and the GT3 RS v2 with the CSR Elite pedals (the one that's available as a bundle on the Fanatec site). 

I noticed that the GT3 wheel isn't out until 31st Jan 2014, which isn't a deal breaker. 

I'm in the UK, so i'm not sure if that will effect any support options for Fanatec? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Squirrel

G27 is a safe choice, the wheel/pedal/shifter come as a package and are going to set you back a couple hundred, but it's widely supported and has lots of mods, plus it's pretty much bulletproof as racing wheel controllers go. If you don't get as into sim racing as you expect, you will be able to recover most of your cost, and if you decide you want to upgrade further, same thing.

Fanatec wheels are said to be quite nice, and are available in a range of cost and performance options, but they have some compatibility and support issues, or so I hear.

T500RS is a great wheel, big step up from the G27, but unless you're pretty serious it's tough to drop the almost or more than $800 the wheel/pedals and shifter (sold seperate) will run you. TheTX is kind of an entry level there tho, $400 gets you the base, a basic rim and 2 pedal set... but you can upgrade with T500RS parts!

Awesome, thank you guys. 

Going to keep my eye out for the Holiday sales and try and pick myself up a good deal. As much as i like the Fanatec stuff, it looks like i'm better off going with either the T500 or G27.

Thanks guys!

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the T500RS. I love my Logitech G27 but can't help feeling I could still be getting better force feedback which is why I'm considering putting my money where my mouth is and saving for a Thrustmaster TX or T500RS myself.  If you need a shifter without breaking the bank, a Logitech G27 shifter with a Leo Bodnar/Basherboard standalone shifter adapter I would guess could be purchased for less than $100 and ends up doubling as a button box with its 12 functions besides the 6-speed gated shifter. If you end up later on wanting the best pedals anyone can ask for, I'd recommend scouring forums for a used ECCI pedal set which I've seen at some sites for around $300. Those pedals are virtually bulletproof, almost infinitely adjustable and offer incredible feel. After getting mine, I couldn't imagine using anything else (although when I tried CSTs in a Cadillac racing simulator they were pretty damn close...).